Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I just replaced the harddrive on a 24 inch 2009 iMac. It's not that difficult as long as you have a suction cup and torx bits. There are lots of videos online with different techniques that vary in difficulty.

Buy some compressed air. I have no idea why every time I open my MBP it's clean as a whistle but every iMac I've ever opened has PlayStation levels of dust covering every surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
The trick is to vacuum the inside of the iMac really well then vacuum the inside of the glass and the LCD. Then put that sucker on as quick as possible. Usually when you put the glass on it creates this vacuum that sucks dust from the inside of the mac and shows up on the screen.

Also make sure you're ESD safe!!

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Just uhh... don't assume your iMac is new enough for the glass not to be glued down. That glass cracks easily. Don't ask.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

pzy posted:

Just uhh... don't assume your iMac is new enough for the glass not to be glued down. That glass cracks easily. Don't ask.

That sounds like a good story. I don't think they started gluing on the screens until the 21.5" and 27" models came out, but I'll be careful regardless.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
I spotted this and decided to back the DIY level https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thewolfe/the-wolfe-supercharge-your-laptop

It's another eGPU setup that uses Thunderbolt 2 or 3. I already have the 2015 rMBP and a GTX 970 so I decided I'd give it a go.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
On the one hand, I love the idea of getting something like that and turning my rMBP into a gaming machine.

On the other hand, the whole reason I got a rMBP is I never used my old gaming laptop for gaming and just played games on my PS4 :shrug:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Armacham posted:

That sounds like a good story. I don't think they started gluing on the screens until the 21.5" and 27" models came out, but I'll be careful regardless.
2012 to be precise. I'm thinking of installing a SSD in my 2011, and have popped the glass off plenty of times, but it seems like the replacement would mean messing with about 22 screws and 10-14 ribbon cables.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

2012 to be precise. I'm thinking of installing a SSD in my 2011, and have popped the glass off plenty of times, but it seems like the replacement would mean messing with about 22 screws and 10-14 ribbon cables.

Yea, only the super slim ones have glued on screens

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

robodex posted:

On the one hand, I love the idea of getting something like that and turning my rMBP into a gaming machine.

On the other hand, the whole reason I got a rMBP is I never used my old gaming laptop for gaming and just played games on my PS4 :shrug:

This would be great for me as I really dislike having to lug my rig from my place to a friends. Just disconnecting it is a pain in the rear end but my 970 is so heavy I am afraid it will snap off the mobo one day.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there any merit to the idea that Apple make their products difficult to repair on purpose? Like, has there been design decisions by Apple that provide no real objective benefit but which make repairing harder?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Entropy238 posted:

Is there any merit to the idea that Apple make their products difficult to repair on purpose? Like, has there been design decisions by Apple that provide no real objective benefit but which make repairing harder?

Difficult to repair how?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Entropy238 posted:

Maybe. It's in their interest to make memory and storage upgrades as difficult as possible to encourage you to buy the next higher trim.

But the thinner and sleeker your product, the more difficult it's going to be to repair. I have an old Microsoft Surface that'd really appreciate a new battery but it will never get one because it ranks dead last on the repairability guide.

So it's a happy coincidence that your shiny super thin electronic device is nearly impossible to upgrade so would you like to pay $100 more for an extra 8gb of RAM?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I think gluing down batteries in portables and iDevices is kind of a bummer. There's no reason a battery can't be held down with a small screw, they've done that for years, but now they make it even more difficult to replace the battery for no reason I can think of.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

treiz01 posted:

This would be great for me as I really dislike having to lug my rig from my place to a friends. Just disconnecting it is a pain in the rear end but my 970 is so heavy I am afraid it will snap off the mobo one day.

Why are you not letting the chassis support the weight by securing the backplate of the card? That's why video card backplates are thicker than most. Most of them are also double-wide, so that usually gives you two points to secure to the chassis as well.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Pivo posted:

I think gluing down batteries in portables and iDevices is kind of a bummer. There's no reason a battery can't be held down with a small screw, they've done that for years, but now they make it even more difficult to replace the battery for no reason I can think of.

The battery has a tab that removes the adhesive.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Entropy238 posted:

Apple's design philosophy for a while has been "Device as appliance". You wouldn't tinker around in a Microwave, would you?

Now granted, those usually last a bit longer than a computer, but that's because of technical advancement rather than an active policy to encourage turnover. In fact, with the way Intel CPUs have been recently you've had computers last longer and longer.

(I won't say appliances are necessarily cheaper either because fridges can cost amazing amounts of money)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

treiz01 posted:

I spotted this and decided to back the DIY level https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thewolfe/the-wolfe-supercharge-your-laptop

It's another eGPU setup that uses Thunderbolt 2 or 3. I already have the 2015 rMBP and a GTX 970 so I decided I'd give it a go.

I posted this a page ago :reject:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The older MacBook pros were amazing for repairs but the newer pros aren't terrible. A lot of people don't remember when laptops from Apple and others were a sandwich of boards and plastic held together with eleventy billion screws. Unibody laptop design has been amazing for repairing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

8ender posted:

The older MacBook pros were amazing for repairs but the newer pros aren't terrible. A lot of people don't remember when laptops from Apple and others were a sandwich of boards and plastic held together with eleventy billion screws. Unibody laptop design has been amazing for repairing.

No kidding. I'll take this:

over this any day of the week:

I don't miss all the separate boards, ribbon cables, different screws, metal shields...

The problem is the Retinas you can't add RAM to, you can replace the SSD but your options are limited. But the 15's all come with 16GB anyway....

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ I hate to break your illusion, but starting three years ago, MacBook Pros don't look like that anymore.

Since the Early 2013 MBPs, the battery has been glued to the top case assembly; you can no longer, even as an AASP, order the battery separately (last model to do that was the Mid 2012 MBPs.) All it means is with new MBPs since Early 2013, swapping a battery out also gets you a new keyboard and trackpad..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

^^ they had the glued-on batteries in the 2012 Pros (the year they had Retina and non-Retina Pros) :eng101:

Honestly though - how often do you switch the battery out of your MBP? Every 3 years?

My early-2013 15" Retina still lasts 6+ hours on a charge, it only lasted about an hour more when it was brand new.

Edit: the only thing you can really upgrade in the current MBP is the SSD

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 27, 2016

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

8ender posted:

I remember working on these when they came out (and before iFixit existed). 37 screws to the hard drive, if memory serves. Unibody is better - but who cares if it's easy to open something up only to look and not be able to replace or upgrade parts in it? That's devolution for Capitalism. That's bad by design. It's a funny thing, if you want to instill the idea of 'appliance/commodity' [buy every three years] and yet play the duality of 'high-end/good design/lasting value', you're kicking both shins of your customers at the same time. If you are a company that isn't lying about your 'green' technology, you'd be designing devices and components that could be worked on and upgraded. The Earth's resources are finite.

Maybe there is a reason that the Mac OS (Finder) icon:

has been two-faced for a long time.
Hail Apple.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Binary Badger posted:

^^^ I hate to break your illusion, but starting three years ago, MacBook Pros don't look like that anymore.

He didn't have any illusion, he was replying to my mention of the older Pro's

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Weren't they soldering ssds in place in the MBP? Or was that a fever dream I had?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Weren't they soldering ssds in place in the MBP? Or was that a fever dream I had?

Only the new Macbook

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Only the new Macbook

How many years have they had proprietary interfaces in the Apples? I know with a 2014 mini I was looking at upgrading awhile ago, the SSD couldn't just be a random M.2, it had its' own interface type.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Djimi posted:

if you want to instill the idea of 'appliance/commodity' [buy every three years]

Appliances are literally the opposite of "buy every 3 years". If you're buying a Microwave or Fridge every 3 years you're loving up somewhere.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Arsten posted:

How many years have they had proprietary interfaces in the Apples? I know with a 2014 mini I was looking at upgrading awhile ago, the SSD couldn't just be a random M.2, it had its' own interface type.

The Air since 2010 and the Pro since the first Retina

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

Appliances are literally the opposite of "buy every 3 years". If you're buying a Microwave or Fridge every 3 years you're loving up somewhere.

It used to be that way, then they started adding tech into them. It's the same thing with cars, there's a huge price difference between a lot of 2012/13 and 14/15 cars just because of CarPlay.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Shillary posted:

It used to be that way, then they started adding tech into them. It's the same thing with cars, there's a huge price difference between a lot of 2012/13 and 14/15 cars just because of CarPlay.
I was buying a water heater and one of them was advertising Bluetooth. What happens when Bluetooth 5 and then NextTooth come out five years from now and your phone doesn't support BT4 anymore? :v:

Bob Morales posted:

The Air since 2010 and the Pro since the first Retina

Thanks! :eng101:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shillary posted:

It still is that way, only dumb people are buying the tech added ones (especially since they cost 10+% more).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

computer parts posted:

It still is that way, only dumb people are buying the tech added ones (especially since they cost 10+% more).

I think you would be surprised at how many upper middle class suburbanites update their appliances every 3-5 years because the old ones are "out of style" or whatever HGTV bullshit they've absorbed. You know, the same crowd with lots of concerns about aesthetics, disposable income, and having the latest and greatest that apple tries to sell on buying a new $600 phone.

Thrifty geeks aren't apple's target demographic. poo poo, the only reason Apple gives two fucks about the college crowd is that they're more likely to earn enough to become the people buying a new $1000 all stainless fridge because it can email photos of its contents to them after having their previous $1000 fridge that can't email photos for only 4 years.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

computer parts posted:

The tech added ones are going to be ubiquitous shortly. Backup cameras are going to be required, which means they need a viewer in the dash, which means they have an irresistible needs to use that screen space for something fancy.

Fake edit: Actually, I think backup cams are required as of year model 2016, so this is probably already upon us.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Arsten posted:

Fake edit: Actually, I think backup cams are required as of year model 2016, so this is probably already upon us.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arsten posted:

The tech added ones are going to be ubiquitous shortly. Backup cameras are going to be required, which means they need a viewer in the dash, which means they have an irresistible needs to use that screen space for something fancy.

I'm talking about appliances, not cars. The only ones pushing Internet of Things fridges are the ones that also own phone manufacturing capabilities.

Besides, that ignores the point that even if your Samsung internal camera doesn't work, it'll still work as a fridge. There is actually no need to upgrade, whereas (until fairly recently) there was for computers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

computer parts posted:

I'm talking about appliances, not cars. The only ones pushing Internet of Things fridges are the ones that also own phone manufacturing capabilities.

Besides, that ignores the point that even if your Samsung internal camera doesn't work, it'll still work as a fridge. There is actually no need to upgrade, whereas (until fairly recently) there was for computers.

Again, you're arguing need when that isn't what drives any appliance industry. I know your average frugal IT bachelor goon is fine with the 90s era GE beige box fridge that came with the house, but there are millions of people out there who want to update to new appliances every 5 years or so. That's completely ignoring the market for new appliances that exists purely as a result of the home market, since if your kitchen isn't up to date as of six months ago it's going to gently caress up the sale value of your McMansion.

The people who swap out HDs on their 5 year old laptops to extend the life and don't see any reason why a fridge that still keeps beer cold needs to be replaced aren't the target market for either brushed steel fridges with cameras and email or Apple. If you want your twice a decade laptop purchase to be a Mac they will happily take your money, but the people they are really interested in are the ones who compulsively buy a new thing every 2 years or less.

gently caress, see the car industry for that matter. If it was purely driven by need rather than a desire to have new, shiny, trendy poo poo we wouldn't manufacture a fraction of the cars we do.

edit: I mean, gently caress, just look at the goddamned phones. A 5s is still a perfectly capable phone and pocket computer but that isn't going to stop them from releasing the 7 in a few months and that isn't going to stop a LOT of people from upgrading to that from their 6s+.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 28, 2016

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Arsten posted:

One issue there is M.2 is a very new thing. It's a product of PC industry committees and those are sometimes glacially slow to move forward. I'm not sure any M.2 drives were commercially available in 2014. I know for sure none existed when Apple shipped its first proprietary PCIe SSDs in 2013, because M.2 definitely wasn't more than a proposal at that point.

Back in the day Apple totally ignored mSATA for their first generation gumstick form factor SSDs (used in 2012 rMBP etc), even though it had been around for years. Mitigating this is the fact that mSATA cards have a really short max length and therefore can't hold many flash chips. Apple shipped some really huge (for the time) SSDs in the 2012 rMBP, so 100% standard mSATA wasn't an option. They could've kept the connector compatible and made the only proprietary element the length of their SSD card, but instead they went with 100% proprietary.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 28, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You mean they didn't do it just to gently caress consumers in the rear end?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I like this image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Djimi posted:

Hail Apple.