Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

Is a graphics card really that much of a bottleneck for photoshop work, I've heard that RAM is more important for image manipulation.

The other issue I'm slightly worried with is the glossy screen. It looks really atrocious in the Apple Store, but I've read if your workspace is okay that it isn't too much of an issue. Can anyone confirm?

You heard correctly in both cases.

Short of using a 5-year-old bottom of the barrel video card (howdy from '07 Mac Pro land), the video card's really not going to have any tangible impact on your Photoshop experience. The use even CS5 makes of OpenGL and such is pretty limited. Anything vaguely modern—including the Intel chipsets on the Airs—is more than adequate. Buy as big as you want and stuff as much memory as you'll (a) reasonably use, and (b) be able to afford.

If you've got control over your workspace, the glossy screen's not an issue. It can be an absolute bitch if you don't, however. Worst case you can fashion a hood out of some scrap black mat board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

I have an external I can back-up on. Unfortunately the enclosure is USB.

If the enclosure has a Y-cable, have you tried connecting the other plug instead?

Many enclosures ship with a USB Y-cable to get enough juice for hungrier drives. One plug provides only power, one plug (usually the one wired directly) provides power and data.

Edit: Given the computer, I'm assuming you're trying to clone onto a 2.5" drive in an enclosure.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

frogbs posted:

Also, we have an Apple Certified repair place just down the road that charges $85/hr just to look at it. Is that competitive with what Apple charges?

Most (but not all) AASPs will apply their diagnostic charges toward your repair. They just don't want the endless parade of people coming in for "Yep, we tested it, your power supply's bad," walking out the door with a declined repair for $0, and then buying what they need from iFixit.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

pipebomb posted:

I took a system in recently that was OOW, and was told they have a flat $310 repair option - fixes anything broken. Not sure what it's worth to you but that's maybe something to think about.

For what it's worth, I was just told that doesn't cover anything substantially more expensive than the service; the logic board (mine being quite dead) was specifically called out as being an additional parts cost on top.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

japtor posted:

Weird, I've always heard that it covers anything and everything they find, that included the logic board when I was offered it a while back. I've also heard they only offer the flat rate for laptops, so anyone with a desktop can probably just ignore this stuff :shobon:.

Yeah, I don't know either. Maybe they adjusted the flat rate tiers again recently.

When I took my 2008 MBP in on Monday, the information I got was that I could send it for the $310 flat rate diagnosis and repair, and it would come back repaired if my issue was not the logic board or LCD. Since my issue was almost certainly the logic board, it would be between ~$600 and $1200 depending on whether I needed only a logic board or if there were additional parts involved.

I was excited when he offered the tier 1 flat rate at first, but then a big buuuut followed it. :(

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 1, 2011

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Fenderbender posted:

There seems to be a dent on the side of the bottom portion of my MBP. It's annoying because it's right on the edge so it's separating the piece above it and causes a gap. Would an authorized repair place probably be able to knock that back out at the edge for considerably cheaper or would Apple be able to fix that without replacing the whole thing? I don't mind the dent itself, I just don't want this huge gap that's all thanks to due to a ~2mm indention in the wrong place.

It might be fixable cheaply depending on where the dent is exactly. The problem you've likely to run into is that there's very little bottom case where you can easily bang out a dent without having to remove (literally) every single component.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Space Racist posted:

While we're at it, I'd also fancy a G4 Cube and a Newton someday.

Anyone else have any particular Macs they lust after?

Mac LC III. No, it's nowhere as cool as a G4 Cube or a TAM or, hell, anything, but it wormed its way into my heart when I took my first actual programming class.

I own an original Newton Message Pad (complete with the leather case!), and it's badass. There are Newton OS features from 1993 that Palm and smartphones didn't have a decade later. The OMP feels kind of clunky today (especially the mediocre but serviceable handwriting recognizer), but there's a lot of crazy future technology packed in there.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

kuskus posted:

If you want to possibly lower the temperature by ~15%, as movax said, you could remove the heatsink assembly, scrape off the crackled and toasted grey thermal cake and replace it with a pea-sized amount of Arctic Silver, and replace it.

And if you're going that route, they also now offer ArctiClean, which works like a champ.

Can you use alcohol? Yes.
Will ArctiClean work better on 3+ year old thermal paste and dirt? Yes.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

pipebomb posted:

I hope no one frowns upon this, but I wanted to share a secret with you. If you want a Logitech 750 (Mac, solar), go to their site and create a 'cexchange' account, as if you were trading in something. They'll send you a 20% off coupon code just for signing up. I just got a second 750 for a mere $47.99 shipped.

You may be able to do better than that if you're not in a hurry. They're celebrating their anniversary this month with a new, extremely good deal every day at Logitech.com.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

flyboi posted:

I am pretty sure I have the GM of iTunes 10.5 because software update claims it's up to date. Can someone with retail iTunes 10.5 check? I'm running 10.5b132

Build 141 is release.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

highme posted:

I have a quick question regarding applecare activation. I bought applecare with my 13" MBP in january of 2010, but never activated it. I needed to pay some bills, realized it was still sitting on the shelf unopened, and sold it on craigslist. This morning I got a call from the buyer saying he wasselling being asked for proof of purchase when trying to activate it.

Bought it with where? If you bought it at the Apple Online Store, or possibly (probably) Apple Retail, you were sold the auto enroll version of AppleCare, in which case it's already activated and tied to your MBP.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

How can OWC of all people release a product that requires Windows to update?

None of the drives prior to the SSDs used in-house software (they just used Oxford's reference software—if they didn't just go straight for the chipsets with hardware switches), and SandForce will build your firmware for you, so I'm guessing the answer is "because SandForce doesn't know how to write an updater for Mac OS X."

Why the hell OWC doesn't pay someone who does, I don't know.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I'm worried that my MBP (first unibody Fall 2008) is overheating a bit. When I open it up from sleep it's very hot in the area below the keyboard, next to the trackpad.

Are you sure it's actually going to sleep? The fans should shut down and the sleep LED should be pulsing.

If it's hot immediately upon opening it (and you're not sleeping it for extremely short periods of time), it probably isn't going to sleep.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
It's unlikely you're shafted, but the persistence of the, uh, persistence is proportional to the amount of time the offending elements were present.

If your monitor just sits there with the browser in the exact same location all day every day, you've got a long slog ahead if you want to completely eliminate the ghosting.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

Does anyone know why adding 4GB of RAM to my Mac Pro 1,1 would make all the fans turn on full-blast all the time as soon as it starts up? I just RMAd this RAM from OWC to replace the 4GB that went bad earlier, but every time I put it in the fans just clock up to full and won't quit. It's the same PC5300 667MHZ as what's in there now.

What temperatures are being reported for the memory risers and the individual chips?

You can grab iStat if you don't already have something.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

Can I use an Apple gift card (not an iTunes card, a regular apple gift card) for a refurb unit?

Yep. If it's in the Apple Store (retail or online), you can buy it. Refurbs, clearance, new, doesn't matter.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

McFunkerson posted:

I don't think batteries have serial numbers.

They do (both on the casing and stored in the battery controller), but I don't recall it being on the retail box.

Worst case, it should sell pretty easily on Craigslist or eBay.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

Is the stock video card that game with a Mac Pro 1,1 (I think it's a 7300GT) worth anything? I just got evicted so I need to sell a lot of stuff real quick

For reasons inconceivable to me, they're regularly selling between $90 and ~$120 on eBay.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Is it worth buying a Mac mini to try it out and see if I want to switch to Mac "full time"? I'm a Windows user, but I've been checking out MacBook pros lately. However, I'm not sure if I want to dish out $2000+ and then find out I'd rather be using Windows still (no offense).

If you're buying from Apple.com or Apple Retail, they have a 14-day no-questions-asked return policy. Don't like it? Take it back and get a full refund.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Like I said, this is my backup charger, so it's not a big deal. If it's something Apple might replace for free, then I'll schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar. It's a little out of my way, though, so I thought I would ask in here first.

If it's the new one, they'll replace it under warranty.

If it's the old one, it'll be out of warranty (unless you ordered it in mid-2011). But they may still be offering reduced-cost replacements, in which case it could still be worth the trip if you want two chargers.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I"ve never seen an organized desktop on any professor's computer. They all look like a sea of jpg and pdf files.

The state of their computer simply reflects the state of their office.

I can count on one hand the number of times my feet could directly touch the floor while attending office hours.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Qaz Kwaz posted:

It's not that--it's for a separate site entirely, zoosk.com, which I've never been to, let alone heard of. Considering this is the only purchase I've made with this card in the past 6 months AND I physically told the CC info to the CS rep, what other explanation could there be?

Brute force is increasingly common. The length of the card number is known, the first several digits are known, the checksum formulae are known... throw a couple hundred potential numbers at a wall and some of them are going to stick. And if you think the expiration date and CVV code are supposed to stop that, then the Payment Card Industry's marketing campaign has done its job. In most cases a charge will still be approved with nothing but a number or a number and invalid details.

(There's a reason your liability for fraudulent charges is federally limited to $50.)

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 13, 2012

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

oversteer posted:

Also, we have a very old Epson 3000 in the studio that has been been set up for doing sublimation print. It would be a big hassle to replace it. The most recent Epson drivers are for "OS X 10.4" which I see is quite old. Are older Mac drivers guaranteed compatible with recent OS X versions ?

Epson delivers drivers through Software Update now. If there are newer drivers available, they'll be installed automatically. If there aren't, OS X can pull in Gutenprint drivers (which may or may not do everything you want).

That said, if you're using one of the common sublimation packages, the 3000 qualifies for the upgrade promotions most Epson regions run. Worst case you can get a ridiculously high trade-in value for it, upgrade to something that'll still be supported several years from now, and sell the UltraChrome starter inks to make it even cheaper.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Unable to write to library "iPhoto library"
Check that you have permissions to write to the library directory.

In the get info panel, add R&W access for your own account and delete nobody.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

If they don't update the version released just a few months ago, as implied by Apple in the WWDC keynote, and instead wait until CS7, then you'll have to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars for an upgrade that is probably a year or more away. So yeah, you would be getting hosed.

Why wait for CS7 when they can just repeat recent history and soak you for CS6.5 and CS7?

It'd also put that new mandatory upgrade policy to good use.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

gregday posted:

Weren't NeXT computers magnesium?

Yes. As were substantial parts of the non-toilet-lid iBooks.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

krooj posted:

Question - My 2011 i7 15" MBP gets stupidly hot when doing anything remotely CPU intensive, like playing flash video or compiling. Is it worth going into the machine and checking whether Apple was too "liberal" in their application of thermal paste? Other than that, is there any benefit to upgrading the installed fans to the newer design?

VVVVV - The CPU temps run into the high 80s (Celsius) and the fans ramp up to 6K RPM, and it's annoying as gently caress.

You can use smcFanControl to preemptively up the fan speed, but no, what you're seeing is (seemingly, without being there) normal. Dell's preference is for more even temperatures while consistently sounding like a hair dryer, Apple's preference is for a generally quiet machine that's cooled aggressively under an unusual sustained load.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Performance should be acceptable. The bigger issue will be how cramped it feels at 1440x900. It's not terrible horrible unusable, but it's nicer to use with more breathing room.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Why are Apple's official max memory spec always lower than what actually works?

Generally because they're qualified when the machine goes on sale and larger memory is not available/not available in volume at that time.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

MUFFlNS posted:

Unless Apple is ever willing to send somebody to carry out repairs at your home? Probably wishful thinking.

In-home service is part of AppleCare if it's available, meaning there has to be an Apple Authorized Service Provider offering it in your area. It's worth a shot, but having an AASP that's both large enough to send people out and interested in having customers loom over their shoulders is a rare combination.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

MrMeowMeow posted:

Anyone have experience using an iPad as a Point-of-Sale for a business? I saw this and it looks pretty neat: http://www.shopkeep.com
Currently using an old rear end cash register with separate debit machine and just wanted to see if this would be a viable option in a bike shop where everything is dirty and greasy.

If anything's the weak link in iOS POSes as a whole, it's the card readers. For your purposes I'd probably plan to keep a spare on hand.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Apple continues their long-standing tradition of selling schools obsolete equipment:

That's called responding to customer demand. Someone hasn't worked in education. :colbert:

(Also, don't ever work in education.)

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
On the whole I can see where they're going with the Mac Pro and don't mind it, but the AMD GPUs are a big fat question mark.

About the only thing in the land of video that supports them today is the Adobe suite, and even that's only if you're a Creative Cloud subscriber.

And how did we unexpectedly end up here when the entire current lineup uses NVIDIA GPUs?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Gunjin posted:

Still not a fan of the new Mac Pro, but the next version of DaVinci Resolve will work with OpenCL in addition to CUDA, so that's pretty big, at least in the video production market.

That's good to know, at least. I'd seen a couple preliminary looks at Resolve 10 but they'd been focused on the expanded feature set and didn't mention OpenCL.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I dunno, but that was my thought too. I figure that it either has to do with which company was more willing/flexible in regard to Apple's desires or whatever partnership was best at the time that this specific part of the project was begun.

That was my thought as well. Apple also doesn't like their larger suppliers to feel irreplaceable. Slapping a competing GPU in your flagship machine is certainly one way to drive that home.

And all the better if you can get that hardware out to developers like Blackmagic and make the new hardware scream in the mean time.

e:

kuskus posted:

Why is it such a question? Perhaps it's a statement on OpenCL over CUDA. I think Nvidia is the only vendor implementing CUDA whereas Apple/AMD/Nvidia/intel/IBM all support OpenCL.

Because historically for video applications it's been CUDA or GTFO. Some applications won't run at all, some applications lose half their features, some run like molasses. Telling pro users "Oh yeah, and we built this thing with non-NVIDIA GPUs" is scary when developers have been so reluctant to support OpenCL.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 11, 2013

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Kenshirou posted:

So my Airport Extreme tracking information now shows this: "Clearance instructions from the importer are required."

Does that mean I personally have to call them, or will it be resolved by Apple since they shipped it to me? I'm unsure why this is having issues with FedEx and yet my MBA13in is coming Tuesday with no such notice.

It's probably not having issues. Sit back, don't sweat the status updates, and wait for your shiny new toy.

Apple is the importer. If there is a problem (which there's almost certainly not), it's their problem to handle. Shipments on this scale are handled in bulk, so your batch just may not be processed yet, and on top of that FedEx status messages often don't mean the thing they appear to. That same status does/used to appear if it was being held by customs for routine inspection.

If ever you need to do something FedEx will then contact you directly. Tracking numbers are actually there for the courier, not for you. Packages don't fall into the abyss because someone somewhere didn't F5 a tracking page enough. Couriers demand contact information for both parties because contacting you is how they resolve issues with packages.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Geno posted:

Thinking about getting a used IVB MBA 13.3" on Amazon for $855.16. I would normally get it at the Apple store but refurbs for the 13.3" have been OOS for a week now.

Any problems with buying refurbs from Amazon? Lack of warranty?

You get the balance of the factory warranty, but there's no way of knowing what that is on "Amazon" (marketplace) refurbs. There's also no standard of refurbishment among those third-party sellers.

As mentioned you are covered by Amazon's A-Z guarantee if it's not what you expected, and they're quite liberal with the adjustments or refunds if there is an issue.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Mercurius posted:

I thought that both OS X and iOS let the battery discharge to 95% and then charge back up on their own without any interaction from the user?

Correct (enough, anyway). The exact algorithm has shifted around a couple times and is more complex than that, but yes, Apple devices will not allow the battery to sit at 100% charge.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

wdarkk posted:

For some reason my Mac Pro 2010 doesn't start hardware test when I restart it while holding "D". Is this a 10.8 thing or what?

AHT lives on a hidden partition and can get blown away by repartitioning. Option-D to run it from the Internet, and weep if you have a slow or metered connection.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Will a DisplayPort -> HDMI cable transfer both picture and sound? I want to connect my late-2008 15" MacBook Pro (first unibody) to my TV.

Alas, not on a late 2008. They didn't start pushing audio over the video port until the 2010 models.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 9, 2013

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

Dang, so which cable(s) do I need? The TV is a Vizio LCD with, what I assume, all the standard plug-ins a TV has these days (I'm just renting this place for some months).

Depending on the TV, one or more of the HDMI inputs may have a set of RCA audio inputs. If yours does, you can use a standard RCA-to-3.5mm cable for the audio.

There are also a few adapters that plug into your headphone port and do some kind of voodoo to mix that analog audio into the HDMI signal, but I can't speak to brands or quality. Maybe someone else here has gone that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

flavor posted:

Do the repairs themselves have some 90 day warranty or will everything be over on the 14th when my AppleCare runs out?

Should be 90 days or the balance of your warranty, whichever is longer.

Edit: Found my last work order. That's correct. Also, in California, your warranty is apparently extended by one full day for each full day you are not in possession of your computer.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 10, 2013