Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
The only thing that video does it make me happy that technology has progressed so much. I think I'm gonna go hug my iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Can anyone give me a good reason why the base model iMac 21.5" can only be upgraded to 8GB RAM while the rest to 16GB? Aren't the chipsets the same throughout, or is this Apple being special? I don't feel like spending extra just to have the "option" to upgrade to 16GB.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I just think it's ridiculous that the $1,199 21.5" is advertised as only upgradable to 8 and the $1,499 21.5" up to 16. So if I want the option to go to 16 some time in the future I have to pay more just to have that ability. What I'm trying to say is, I don't understand why they would have such a limit on the cheaper model if (I'm assuming) both 21.5" models share the same chipset. Perhaps they don't, I'm an idiot, and you're trying to tell me that 16GB is possible with the cheaper model regardless of what Apple says.

Edit: Upon further investigation, Apple offers 4x4GB for the $1,499 21.5", which I guess uses the same guts as the 27" models, and the base 21.5" is the only one stuck with just two slots.

Butt Savage fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 22, 2011

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
If I had the money I'd be saying the same thing, but 21.5" is my limit. :(

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks, guys. I guess Apple does that so people don't undercut the more expensive 21.5". Sneaky bastards.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

It's little poo poo like this that makes me want a Mac. OSX has a lot of cool features that Windows is lacking and hurts my work flow. Not sure of a word's meaning or looking or a synonym? Right click, check dictionary. No need to open a browser and go to dictionary/thesaurus.com, the OS itself has you covered.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I hope they improve the resolutions on their notebooks because it really is ridiculous paying so much for such lovely resolutions.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Agreed. I was considering the 15" until I noticed it was more expensive than the 27" iMac. That's loving ridiculous, with or without student discount. I hope Apple fixes that poo poo by the next revision or release of the 15" Air.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
If you want portability + a large screen, go the external monitor route. That way when you come home you just plug the MBP/MBA in and do work. I feel your pain about screen real estate and am in the same boat.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Ugh, tell me about it. I'm trying to graduate from a 1280x800 14" Acer. Simple poo poo like organizing my files, pictures, even minor video editing was unbearable with that screen. I was even thinking about using multi-desktop software to ease the pain, but it's not the same as having a nice big screen to look at all your stuff at once.

I'm currently stuck using a 17" Acer because the 14" is acting funny, and I'm grateful for the little bump in screen space. It's pathetic, really :v:

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I think the fan technology is so neat. I love how much Apple puts into their designs.

I really admire that about them. They may be a pain in the rear end at times, but I'm glad Apple is around just to show the world how beautiful technology can be.

As for the Mac Pro stuff, I guess we just have to accept the fact that people need to have patience with Apple.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/15/apple-to-charge-199-for-battery-replacement-on-macbook-pro-with-retina-display/

quote:

According to an article in Computerworld, Apple will charge $199 to replace the 95 watt-hour battery in the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, an increase of $70 from the traditional $129 that Apple charges for replacement batteries in the standard MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4TG56KGZ4

Edit: I can't imagine a good reason for this. Is this simply to squeeze more out of people who are "professional" enough to buy this? Will this happen to the other MacBooks once they receive retina displays?

Butt Savage fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 16, 2012

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
That resolution in the pic would kill me eyes after a few minutes, but I'll be damned if it wouldn't be fun to use the OS like that for a bit.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

kuskus posted:

Also, I love biking with my Air and I am spoiled by the weight. Time will solve both of these things.

How many of you Air owners have those personal 3G hotspots and how do they work out for you?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Does the dust in the screen issue occur with the external displays as well, or is it limited to the iMacs because the fans might be blowing poo poo where it isn't supposed to go?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

about :plugins, everything has a checkbox to turn it off. Including Java which you should definitely have done in the past week because there's an enormous unpatched vulnerability right now.

My plugins list doesn't include Java. I'm assuming that since I never installed the thing in the first place, it won't show up there? I ask this stupid question because Google packs Flash with Chrome and maybe they were doing the same with Java.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I don't see why they wouldn't, honestly. Apple has shown a desire to put retina screens on as many of their devices as possible if costs permit, and them adding retina to iMacs/T-bolt displays wouldn't be far fetched. Let's not forget that Apple also cares about being a "boutique" brand, and what's more boutique than some fancy-rear end shiny thing that makes your stuff look more expensive and pretty?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

flavor posted:

At the danger of being :spergin: about it: 4K is NOT "basically doubled 1080p", because it's four times the resolution, and it's also really stupid that that gets called 4K: 720p and 1080p were named for their vertical resolutions, now we're suddenly supposed to call what used to be known as 2160p "4K" because it sounds better to imbeciles.

Heh, you think that's bad, I'm pretty sure 4K is going to be called "Super HD" to dumb it down even further. But whatever, I just want the tech to get cheap enough where I can buy one.

Edit: Correction: Ultra HD. :frogc00l:

Butt Savage fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 24, 2013

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I wish I were rich so I could collect all of those beautiful machines. :swoon:

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

japtor posted:

Good thing they're not collectors items so you can buy them for cheap when people dump them :v:

Touché. Some day.

11" Chat: There's something awesome about having a little laptop like that that can do almost everything most people need a computer to do. Especially when compared to the awful attempts by netbooks (goddammit, Jobs, you were right! :argh:). Even though an iPad could perform most of the same tasks, it's still not as flexible as a real deal laptop. Airs are only going to get better year after year, and it's pretty exciting to see where mobile computing is going thanks to them.

Didn't some company recently come out with new LCD tech that makes screens even thinner and would be available within this year? Maybe your dream will come true some day, Bob.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Your mini-ITX gaming "console" is adorable. What a great idea. I have a lot of dreams and ideas of what my ideal computer setup would be like, and it includes having a gaming PC somewhere in there attached to a Thunderbolt Display. I'm very much a minimalist type of guy and your idea hit the right spot.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's certainly bigger than most SFF chassis and definitely dwarfs a Mac Mini. That said, I have a GTX 680 in it and that was preceded by the even larger Radeon 7970 HD. :pcgaming:

Few mini-ITX chassis can fit the largest GPUs.

Yeah, considering all the raw power shoved into that little box it's still a small footprint compared to having a tower. Plus I like the clean look. The last GPU I bought before going the laptop route was a GeForce 7900 GS KO, just to play STALKER. I thought that thing was big, but nowadays GPUs look like car radiators.

By the time I have enough money to build my own mini-ITX gaming PC, SWSP will have perfected the entire process and I can just skim off his blueprints.

Edit: BTW, what desk is that in your pics, SWSP?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Heh, I too am an owner of a Fredrik. Nice, sturdy desk, but I hope to replace the legs with something more visually appealing. The lighting in your pictures makes the desktop's color look very rich; I thought it was something totally different.

Strong, solid Ikea desk users unite! :sweden:

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

They aren't 17" though...

And that's all there is to it with average people, really. If even after you've told them the pros and cons of 17" laptops in comparison to smaller ones, and they still decide that 17" is the better upgrade because they're fixated on having that nice, big screen, your job is done. Let them buy it and see how much they like it.

At least in my experience. :)

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I think that sounds like a better goal. Amazing battery life during the early years of the laptop and even when it gets older it's still totally usable. Considering how long people hold on to their machines on average, and with user replaceable parts becoming a thing of the past, it would be nice to not have to worry about battery age becoming a big obstacle as the computer itself ages.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

I'm glad that Apple is using the Haswell chips with HD Graphics 5000 instead of the 4400 or 4600 part.

This is loving awesome of them. The Airs are pretty much the laptop for the average person. The only obstacle is the price, but those who can afford it will be absolutely content.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
It seems like Apple is trying to jump start the next leap in professional computing. They've already done it with consumer products, like gradually eliminating the optical drive and moving on to SSD, even when prices for SSDs were much higher than today. That's their way of saying that new technologies are available to break away from old technologies that limit our abilities to be more flexible and perform our tasks faster. Someone has to force this widespread adoption, because there is a better way (in their mind) to do things. I'm in no position to comment on what type of hardware pros need to do their job, but Apple is probably betting on professionals thanking them in a few year's time for making this modular machine and breaking away from the large towers. That's always been Apple's schtick: Push the limits and break from the status quo. Move forward. And in hindsight they sometimes get it right.

Thankfully I'm not a professional so I couldn't care less about the trash can and how it would affect my workflow, but I would like to see how that market reacts once it's available and how its existence will change the computing landscape.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Between the graphics move and the move to 2.5" hard drives, Apple is just trolling iMac users by making each generation slower than the last.

Sometimes I wonder if they eventually want people to adopt a laptop + external display setup and dump desktops altogether.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Watching Apple slowly rebuild their MacBook product lines by phasing out the old MBPs and phasing in Retina all throughout is pretty cool to see in action. It was pretty obvious that the new SKUs at the time (retina MBPs) were a taste of the future and not a potential nightmare of too many SKUs for similar products.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I think at this point I would have just replaced the loving thing instead of bothering some engineer to do tech support over the phone. Then again, I'm not a bean counter at Apple. :v:

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I don't mean to do this to go against what you guys are recommending to Hekk, but I need to jump into this rMBP chat because within the next week or two I'm going to be purchasing my first Mac and I'm dead set on the 13" 8/256. But there's one issue. Ever since I read this:

vty posted:

Is anyone thoroughly unimpressed with the performance of their 13"mbpr? I recently got one to replace my 2012 MBP. It's fully loaded, 256gb, 8gb.. and man it has been frustrating me to use. Chrome will peg 60% (I'm currently running with 0 extensions for testing) and the general OS is just frustrating to use. Not frequent beachballs, but lots of javascript and application opening lag.

I've been having second thoughts. I've already been burned twice purchasing computers that weren't good at doing anything in particular except feeling slow and disappointing. I know on paper the rMBP should be a beast, but I don't want to make this mistake again, especially if I'm dropping more than a grand on a computer. And as much as I'd like to, anything beyond the 8/256 is too expensive for me.

As usual, here's what I'll be doing with it:

MS Office, web surfing, YouTube, HD video (1080p would be nice), very light gaming (if any). And then there's iMovie stuff, basic photo editing, a Windows VM with the possibility of playing with Linux VMs (nothing serious, I'm no coder/IT guy).

So green light? Caution? Get the Air (but the retina screen is so beauiful :()?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Ok, you guys sold me. I guess it popped out at me because I still have memories of people complaining about some slowdown with older models due to the GPU not being able to handle the retina screen (or some poo poo like that) and I figured it was still an issue with the 13 inch's GPU, even if it's Haswell. I wasn't expecting to do all of that stuff at once, vty's post made it seem like general usage and Chrome were enough to make the machine stutter. :downs:

Now that that's out of the way, I can't loving wait to get it. I'm actually gonna be a tremendous dork and buy it from my local Apple store (with student discount) only because it's my first Mac ever and I want that brand new experience. I'll get a refurb for my next one. :)

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
So I purchased my 13" rMBP a few days ago and I'm loving every minute of it. From the amazing trackpad and its gestures to the little things of OSX that make the big things come together so nicely (Spaces and Mission Control are a godsend). The hardware itself is amazing. I feel like I bought a BMW of the computing world. Just the thought of going back to Windows and the hardware built for it makes me frown. But there's one problem: I need a good sleeve/case for it. I could have sworn I saved previously recommended cases and sleeves to Evernote, but it looks like I didn't. I've been eyeballing Booq Viper Hardcases, and if anyone can attest to their construction and fit, I'd really appreciate it. I welcome any recommendations, they don't have to be hardcases in particular, sleeves are fine. And I promise to save them to Evernote this time. :)

Budget is about $45, maybe stretch to $50.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

GokieKS posted:

It is slightly bulkier, but compared to the Speck/Incase/etc. sleeves that I've seen at Apple stores, I feel like it's rather better built and offers better protection.

Though in that regard, the hard case is a better option yet, and is the one I actually would recommend - it's what I used with my 13" MBA, and I had no problem with the size either putting it in a messenger bag or just carried on its own.

Any comments about the sleeve's/hard case's smell that some Amazon reviews mention? Something about it having a strong stench that resembles gasoline that subsides a bit after a while but still lingers. Regardless, the more I look at it, the more I think it suits my needs. I like the idea of having a hard protective case that I can use as primary protection for whenever I don't have the MacBook in a bag.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
The first time I restarted mine, I thought I had accidentally clicked log out instead. I restarted, turned around to do something for a sec and I turned back around to the login screen. SSDs are amazing.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

So something like this is a bad idea?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Nothing to do with Mac hardware or anything else really, but you guys mentioning coding and designing make me jealous. I wish I had learned that stuff when I was younger instead of playing games for 60 hours a week. It's just cool being able to create something pretty much from anywhere, so long as you have a good laptop in front of you. Having a rMBP myself, I feel like I could do so much more with it than school work and the usual average user poo poo. I'm gonna see if I can give coding a try and look up some lessons on coursera or whatever. Who knows, maybe I'll be decent at it after a few months of taking lessons.

/end e/n post

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks for the motivation and info, guys. I'm pretty excited to get started.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
This sounds like the first gen MacBook Air all over again. lovely CPU compared to what's currently out there and a new form factor that looks nice but hurts overall usability because it does away with ports and such. I imagine by the second or third generation technology and how we use it will develop to a point where this new form factor makes sense.

Don't really care for the colors. Don't like gold? Don't buy it. But I'm sure markets like China would love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

Also Saudi oil barons.

Proof that money can't buy good taste. :v: