Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's not really hardware, but I'm looking for a backpack for my 15" Macbook Pro, and I found one, but it says it's made more for 17" laptops; Would that be good for my laptop or would it be too loose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Binary Badger posted:

Also if you can't afford an SSD then get a nice fast 7200 RPM hard drive with a 16 MB cache and that'll also be a nice bump from the stock 5400 RPMs Apple provides.

on that note, what's the best hard drive for the MBP, given that I want something with as much (or more) storage space as the stock (750GB) one? I've been looking at this one and the only thing that seems bad is the decreased battery life, but I'm fine with that if there's no better alternatives.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bob Morales posted:

The 5400 RPM 1TB WD Blue is almost the same speed for the same price.

It turns out that drive was already in my wishlist. :shobon:

Thanks!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Windows on a Mac is Windows on a PC. Just be sure to grab the newer Catalyst drivers than what Boot Camp comes with and you'll be fine.

Do you mean the ones from ATI's website? I always get an error from those that they don't support my card and that I should contact my laptop manufacturer (15" with the 6750, for reference).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

When's the last time you tried? AMD lifted the OEM driver restriction on their Catalyst suite not too long ago. I remember trying around April and it gave me the error you described, but I've has no problems since August.

I just tried it; apparently the desktop suite doesn't have my driver, and trying to download the mobility driver application results in a similar error ("your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter"). I tried uninstalling my current driver, but no luck so far.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

flyboi posted:

Also this is new to me:

I am pretty sure I have the GM of iTunes 10.5 because software update claims it's up to date. Can someone with retail iTunes 10.5 check? I'm running 10.5b132

Yep, I redownloaded my iTunes 10.5 after 10.7.2 came out, and right now it says "10.5 (141)".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Does anyone know the model of the 750GB drive in the 2011 MBP (I guess both drives for the later versions but at least the 5400 rpm one)?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lexicon posted:

My girlfriend is a Mac newbie, but is considering getting either a MacBook Air 13" or a MacBook Pro 13". I'm trying to push her towards the Air, as the performance/storage tradeoffs and lack of optical disk seem well worth the benefits of increased portability and lack of magnetic drive, at least to me. Is it fair to call this the general consensus at this point?

I should add: she'll be using it for typical [non-nerd] student stuff - web, writing papers, watching movies, music, etc.

I'm pretty sure the Air has a much better screen, as the 13" MBP is limited to 1280x800 or something like that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tutu posted:

Do all 2011 13 inch macbook airs creak and pop when you pick them up or apply pressure to the palm rest area? I took mine to the genius bar and they tightened up the screws and it didn't creak for a few days but now it does again. I'm wondering if it's worth exchanging it for another one or if there's no point because they all do this?

It seems to be a reasonably common issue. Mine did that for a while after I replaced some RAM but after I tightened the screws I haven't had any issues, but other people have reported it still stays afterwards.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is there a known issue with putting your computer to sleep when it's booted in Windows 7? My 2011 MBP apparently needs a battery replacement now, but I'm unsure if it's just a bad battery or if I did something wrong (it is only a year old).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm thinking of doing an opti-bay replacement for my 2011 MBP. Does anyone have specific reccomendations for ~256GB SSDs? I'm thinking this one probably. Also - is it a terribly hard procedure?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Alright, so I finished installing my SSD into my optibay. When I go to partition/format it though, it's giving me an error and quitting. Apparently this is a known issue if you install an SSD in the optical drive? Can anyone offer some advice short of putting the SSD in the HDD slot?

e: This is an early 2011 MBP.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mercurius posted:

I was under the impression that the HDD was better off installed in the optibay and the SSD where the HDD was. My understanding is that the system actually turns off the SATA connector where the optibay is when it goes to sleep (because it's designed to have an optical drive connected to it) and the system can sometimes kernel panic or lock up entirely on waking up if you've installed the OS to the SSD while it's in the optibay. Maybe try swapping the drives around and see if that helps?

From what I've read, it's actually that Apple doesn't let the optibay SATA port go to 6 GB/s, only 3, which is a problem for the SSD. I'll try swapping them, but ideally what I was trying is to have OS X on my main hard drive still and a bootcamp partition on the other one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

iceslice posted:

My setup is OSX on the SSD (and is my primary OS), with Windows on the Apple 500gb hard drive that came with the computer placed in the Opti bay. I've had it this way since the early Intel SSD days and its been great. I don't know why you'd want to keep OSX on your non-SSD as you wouldn't really see the benefits of it, unless you using a different OS installed to the SSD as your primary. Either way its quick to swap the two drives, and you can use CarbonCopy to clone the old drive onto the SSD in a few minutes.

My plan is to have Windows on the SSD and OS X on the original hard drive. I'm doing it this way because I have more data than can fit on the SSD, and I don't really notice the lag on OS X (but it's terrible on Windows).

I'm actually 90% done right now, I just need to somehow install Windows 7 now since apparently it's not able to do a disc install from an external DVD drive and my USB drives aren't being recognized.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Butt Savage posted:

Sometimes I wonder if they eventually want people to adopt a laptop + external display setup and dump desktops altogether.

Probably, Desktops these days (Apple ones anyway) are essentially laptops but without any of the nifty features they've been working on because they don't have a battery.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mercurius posted:

If you're coming from Windows some useful key combos are:
  • Fn+Delete will give you the forward delete behaviour
  • Command (⌘) is generally used in place of Control for shortcuts e.g. ⌘+C is copy, ⌘+V is paste
  • ⌘+arrow keys are the same as Home, End, PageUp, PageDown for most programs
  • Holding down Option (⌥) with a context menu option will often change the commands offered e.g. holding Option with the File menu open will change Duplicate to Save As
  • In Finder, ⌘+Delete will move things to the trash, Return/Enter renames your current focus and ⌘+Up/Down Arrow moves up and down through the filesystem or if you have an application selected, ⌘+Down Arrow will open it
  • I think ⌘+R is refresh in Safari rather than F5 for when you want to :f5:

Also option-key will give you special characters instead of Alt+XXXX

eg, ß is option-s, Ó is option-H, etc (there are also different characters if you do shift-option-key as well).

and if you use something with emoji support (like safari 🎃), control-command-space will open that window.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 28, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stryguy posted:

Sounds like my best bet is to get a used mac, clone the HD, and piece out my old ones.

Are the macbook pros made in the last 3 years better than the 08's? Obviously the 08-09's had issues. I have read that 2011 models had problems too. Any other years / models I should watch out for? I hate to have another one fail after a couple of years of use.

Don't buy the 2011 models if you want Handoff with your iPhone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leathal posted:

Wait so the updated 15" MBP isn't Broadwell? :psyduck:

Seems like they're just going to go to Skylake.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red Oktober posted:

Just upgraded my MBP 2008 to the 2015 model and have the unpleasant surprise that windows 7 isn't supported for boot camp any more. Just as a slight warning in case anyone else was on the fence and uses it for games etc.

Yeah they announced this a while back, I think Windows 8 was also unsupported (but 8.1 was ok).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what kind of timeframe are we looking at to actually see that rolled out in retail products? Late 2016?

Whenever Skylake comes out I think.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jfff posted:

I'm looking to set up bootcamp and install a windows partition. From everything I've read it seems I should buy Windows 8.1 64 bit then upgrade to 10 if I want to down the road. Would there be any point in buying Windows 10 outright?

I wouldn't install Windows 10 until El Cap comes out and/or they announce Windows 10 support.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lol internet. posted:

I guess this possibly could be posted in software as well but I think I'll post here.

How long does Mac OSX continue to support older hardware?

I have a Late 2008 Macbook which has Yosemite.. wondering if I'll make it for El Capitan and another couple updates after that.

In general they've been pretty good. There are some features that won't port back however.

For example, the Connectivity feature where you can SMS and get calls from your iPhone on your Mac won't work unless you have a Bluetooth 4.0 chip, which anything other than ~2012 won't. Also they aren't supporting Windows 10 in anything older than 2012 models either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cyrano4747 posted:

A lot of it depends on how much you travel with the bricks. I take mine into the office five days a week and I go through about one every two years

Yeah, my dad ended up just getting one for his office and it probably saved money in the long run.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

IuniusBrutus posted:

That's a shame - he can get the 13" base model Air at Best Buy for $749 right now, which seems to be a pretty good deal. Anyone else able to chime in on the RAM concenrs?

I thought 4GB was too little back in 2011 but that laptop also had a platter drive.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NESguerilla posted:

This is just kind of a random thought involving Apple, but does anyone remember when the Apple Store was a nice place to go? I remember really enjoying browsing and shopping there like 8 years ago. I'd seriously rather go to the DMV these days.

I remember the SF one being bad the last time I was there (which was more than a decade ago).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Choadmaster posted:

I hope it is. And there's also the rumored new AppleTV...

New AppleTV is possible but I heard they might want to wait until they have that TV streaming deal (which they don't yet have).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

japtor posted:

And TB3 is set for sometime soonish so that's a possibility too to replace the USB port.

It's most likely the exact reason they adopted that form factor to begin with.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cingulate posted:

Any estimates when the 2nd gen Macbook may be ready (in the light of the Skylake time course)?

I'd still say around April or May. No reason to rush things.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eight Is Legend posted:

How much of a difference does the Radeon graphics card do for gaming on the 15" retina MacBook Pro?

It's a significant difference over the integrated graphics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lady Gaza posted:

Are we expecting an early 2016 rMBP refresh? I want to ditch my old Windows desktop and was going to wait until I get my Christmas bonus, though if a new version is out early next year I might hold off for a while. I'm in no rush to get rid of my old machine, I just am wondering roughly how long I will need to wait.

Probably around May is the current thinking. The new Skylake computers are coming.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
AMD apparently published some new Bootcamp drivers a few days ago for those of you that were having issues and didn't just install them manually.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eight Is Legend posted:

I just got a new MacBook and want to put the music from my old one on it, which is all stored as a Time Machine backup. Can I easily pick what I want from the backup or is it an all-or-nothing situation?

I think it's generally all or nothing, but if you do Migration Assistant I think you can select what you want to put over there? (I don't remember, I haven't done it in 4 years)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Splinter posted:

My main question: would it be wise to save up and wait for skylake rMBPs to be released rather than buying a used or refurbished late 2013 now? It sounds like the move to skylake could be a more significant upgrade than the recent refreshes, and also will likely include a move to USB-C (which I assume would make it more "future proof").

If you have the money, I would wait for the new ones. Force Touch is probably going to be more and more relevant as time goes on, and (probably) having some new USB ports would help too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Splinter posted:

Sounds good. What's a consistent way to stress the GPU to ensure I'm able to reproduce the issue when I bring it in. Is GpuTest legit?

Their in-house test verified it for me. Anything that uses the dedicated graphics should be able to reproduce it though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

robodex posted:

Wait, Thunderbolt and Type-C have the same connectors? Are the ports usually compatible with both? :psyduck:

That sounds like a nightmare.

The only issue is if you have Type-C, you might not have a Thunderbolt port.

Fortunately, most of the vendors seems to be adopting Thunderbolt.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The carriers sell refurbs. The iPhone I'm posting from right now is a refurb from T-Mobile.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FCKGW posted:

Also it requires BT 4.0 now.

So it just requires a 3 year old computer now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

robodex posted:

Having not bought RAM in a very long time, is that like, a normal RAM price? $1200 for 64gb? :psyduck:

16 is still $100-200 I think, but it might be a different type of memory than the ones I remember.

Also depending On the number of slots that would affect price (2 32GB sticks will cost a lot more than 4 16GB sticks).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mu Zeta posted:

I've actually needed repairs on every single Mac I've owned. I think I have bad luck so I always get the warranty.

I think the logic is that you'll pay less over the same time period.

I dunno, I think it would've cost about the same to swap out my battery so it's worth it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have a 2015 13" MBP with 8gb of ram and an i5. How boned am I going to be now that I am starting CS classes? I'm trying to decide if I should sell it before the Skylake models drop and resale value starts to tank, or if the 8gb of RAM won't kill me before it's time to upgrade anyways.

I believe that's the exact model that the department of engineering at my alma matter requires freshman engineering students to get.