Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Quick question. I have a late-2006 13" Macbook. I'm pretty sure the heatsink and fan are getting bad. The fan enjoys getting really loud and heats up really easily. Now I was wondering if I could just get this all fixed by purchasing AppleCare once again. Would they repair everything thats wrong with this Mac or woud they just say it's a five year old POS and that I should just buy a new laptop?

I'd much rather buy a new 13"-15" MacBook Pro for Ableton, Serato, etc. but I'm in college and money is pretty tight right now. If only I could find a job.

keevo fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

gently caress. How hard is it to swap the heatsink?

edit: i forgot i can actually look these things up. doesn't look too difficult. i'm just not sure if i should spend the time to repair this thing or if i should just start saving up for a new/used macbook pro or pc

keevo fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 20, 2011

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

kuskus posted:

Take the 10 minutes to open it up and blast out the years of dust the fan teeth with a $3 can of air.

If you want to possibly lower the temperature by ~15%, as movax said, you could remove the heatsink assembly, scrape off the crackled and toasted grey thermal cake and replace it with a pea-sized amount of Arctic Silver, and replace it. Just be careful peeling up old melted foam and silver tape on the optical drive. This is where a spudger comes in handy instead of your fingernails.

I did the whole can of air thing about a year ago and for some reason my fan just got louder. Louder as in people will give me looks wondering what's wrong with my laptop when it decides to spin up. I'll probably just try it again and replace the heatsink. It doesn't appear to be too expensive and the only way I can see myself loving up is when I peel up the melted foam.

Oh yeah, is there a cheap place to buy a new battery? It just seems ridiculous to me to pay $130 for a new battery.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Quick question. The cable on my MacBook Charger (the extension cord) is starting to rip apart at the base (I'm not really sure how to explain it, but the internal cords are showing), could I buy this to replace it? Are there different extension cords or are they all the same? I asked Apple about it and they only sell the entire charger, which I don't need to buy.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

If I purchase a battery for my MacBook and take out the wrapping, would I still be able to return it? I'm assuming yes but I feel like they shouldn't because I took out the wrapping. I bought one today but realized I could get it half off at Best Buy with a gift card my mom has (and doesn't need), so I'm going to return this and just use my mom's gift card.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I just realized that my school's Apple store isn't the same as a regular Apple store. They wouldn't take it back because I opened it already despite me never using it. I'd really like to return it and save some money but I really doubt that Apple would take it. What can I do?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

McFunkerson posted:

You could try buying the one from best buy and then returning it unopened to the campus Apple Store with your receipt there. Generally I'd say that's sketchy behavior, but since you actually bought one from the Campus Apple store I wouldn't consider it immoral. I don't think batteries have serial numbers.

Alternatively you can sell the one you get from best buy as an unopened battery and make back most of your money.

I assume they aren't going to take an open box back because they don't want to risk you putting your dead battery in the box and scamming them.

Molten Llama posted:

They do (both on the casing and stored in the battery controller), but I don't recall it being on the retail box.

Worst case, it should sell pretty easily on Craigslist or eBay.

I'll try the switch-aroo first because that does seem quicker and less of a hassle. Thanks guys.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

My friend is offering me her MacBook Pro 5,5 for about $200. I'm currently on a MacBook from 2006 and I kind of want to buy it, but I need a laptop that's pretty good for audio/video stuff. For $200 I really wanna buy it, but I don't know if its that much of a step up from my current laptop. Any advice?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I kind of want to buy it and sell it for its current going price, which gives me more money for a refurbished current model. Seems like a bit of a hassle though.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Does she have a crystal meth problem?

Nah, just a lot of money and too many laptops.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Legdiian posted:

Does she have so much money that she doesn't care that you're flipping it for profit? Not that I'm the morality police or anything but that's a lovely thing to do. I gave a co-worker a smokin' deal on a 50" plasma a few years back and he flipped it on me. It's not nice.

Yeah, you're right about the morality thing. I'll probably just keep it. I can't pass up on a deal like that though.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I was replacing my old MacBook's HD (1,2) and was about to insert the HD when I realized this thing had ripped out. It appears to be the rubber guide for holding and sliding the HD in place.

I can't seem to get it back in without opening it up. Is there a guide to fix this or should I just go to the Genius Bar and see if they'll fix it?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

kuskus posted:

There is likely a guide at ifixit. It may require a very inexpensive torx screwdriver set from your neighborhood hardware store. No reason not to do it your self!

I'll have a go at it. Thanks guys. Looks like the closest guide is this: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Core+2+Duo+Hard+Drive+Connector/523/1

Now if only this stupid screw would unscrew.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

God drat it. I put the rubber thing back in place but now the upper case wont snap back in. It's like top right side of the case needs you to slide it in, while the bottom right side requires you to have it fall into place. This really shouldn't be this difficult.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Do you guys with MacBook Pros use a case or keyboard cover? I think I'm definitely going to get a keyboard cover. As far as I can tell, Moshi is the best but also the most expensive. Is there a difference between the Moshi covers and the $5 covers on Amazon?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

How's the build quality of the MacBook Air vs the Pro? A relative of mine wants a MacBook and my dad and I have different opinions on which to get. I'm telling my relative to get the Air because its cheaper and she doesn't need the extra power. My dad is saying to get the Pro because he thinks the air is really fragile due to how thin it is. My relative does travel a bit and we have another relative who had the Air and somehow cracked the screen (Were not sure how he managed to crack the screen).

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Ah, thanks guys. I showed him your posts and he shrugged it off saying, "Oh okay, then why'd I read so many reviews about screens breaking?" He then went on to say that "I still think the Pro is better for traveling." I'm never going to win this debate. :negative:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Has anyone had the rubber pieces on the bottom of the MacBook Pro fall off? I've had two fall off now and it's kind of annoying. It doesn't look like Apple replaces them without me paying them to replace the entire bottom case, so I'm not really sure what to do about it.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

The laptop isn't covered.

It says currently unavailable.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

FrenchToasty posted:

At my old store we'd replace them if you brought it in, AppleCare or no. If you live by an Apple Store it's worth a shot.

I'll have to try that after my class. Thanks.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Just an update on the rubber feet falling off. I went to Apple today and they replaced it. The good news is that they gave me discount on the rubber feet and they replaced it. The bad news is that I seriously paid $10 for them to replace four pieces of rubber. It also normally costs $40. :psyduck:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Wow, I just discovered this rip in my charger cable. I've had this for less than a year and wrap it up properly (I do the over under cable wrap thing) so I have no idea how this happened. I hate to sound cheap but will Apple replace this or will I have to pay for a new one?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Thanks for the responses. I'll head to the Apple store after my classes today and see what happens.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Is anyone here on the 2009 MacBook Pro and Mountain Lion? How long is the battery supposed to last? I'm getting about 2 hours of use from my laptop with MS Word & Chrome open. I figure my battery is bad but I don't know how bad it is. A quick Google search came up with nothing but people complaining about battery life on the Apple forums.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Holy poo poo is it really 6 hours? I bought this from a friend last year because she never used this so I guess it's still on the original battery. I guess it's time to buy a new battery. It's $130 at the Apple store, right?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Can anyone recommend a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable on Amazon? I was going to get this one but I wouldn't receive it until after Christmas and I'd like to have it sooner without paying $30 for shipping. My dad gave me one a generic 10 ft. long cable but it only worked once or twice.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

Monoprice's work fine and ship domestically. They list on Amazon but it usually ends up slightly cheaper to order from their site directly.

I'm bundling it with some other things I have to buy. I'll probably just go with that one unless someone has another recommendation. Thanks.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I have a 2006 white MacBook with a broken inverter cable/board that no one in my family uses. Can I get any money for it or is it basically a paper weight at this point?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

My PIN is 4826 posted:

They're definitely worth putting up as a spares unit, a quick check on ebay showed people have been selling them at £50-100 recently.

Thanks. I think I'm going to try this.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Is there a way for me to check if my laptop's hard drive is failing without going to the Apple store? The symptoms are there, but is there a program that will confirm it?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

japtor posted:

Probably won't be upgraded any time soon, and if they are it'd likely be a minor spec bump.

Which laptop? Wondering if you might be running into the bad drive cable a lot of people apparently run into.

MacBook Pro 2009. It's a Western Digital 1tb and still in limited warranty.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Ah I didn't see this but thanks for this. It ended up working. My hard drive has 67 bad sectors. Thanks Western Digital for making such a solid hard drive.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Is there a major difference between the current MBP keyboards and the 2009 MBP keyboards asides such as size or layout of keyboard? I don't care if the labels are different, I just need a keyboard cover. A friend recommended this cover but it says it's only compatible with the 2013 MBPs. I'm comparing the two keyboards but I don't see a difference asides from the F3, F4 and new power button on the eject button.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I have a mid 2009 MBP and I think the screen hinge is a little loose because when the screen is wobbly when I'm adjusting it. Will the Apple store fix this? I would do it myself but after reading some guides, I'm not sure I want to risk loving it up because I'm stupid.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I went to the Apple store last week about my wobbly screen and the guy at the Genius Bar told me that it would cost $200-400 because they'd have to replace the entire screen. I thought it was just the hinge that needed replacement (which I'm still convinced is the case), but he told me it needs to be the entire screen because of some part that can only be changed by replacing the entire screen. It also has something to do with the screen moving horizontally (not sure if this is the best word to explain it) from the laptop.

I can't really afford to replace the screen right now but I also don't want to keep dealing with this wobbly rear end screen that's probably going to get worse.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

awesome-express posted:

How old is it? Do you have Applecare?
2009 MBP. I wasn't expecting them to do it for free, but I also wasn't expecting them to say they had to replace the entire case.

Yeast posted:

Sometimes the hinge mechanism is indeed stuffed, and unfortunately that does mean a whole new display assembly. We can't order the hinges separately. Only tighten them.
I was hoping that they'd tighten it, but the guy was pretty sure that the entire display would have to be replaced.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Does anyone know when Apple updates the refurbished store? I want to get a MacBook Pro soon and while I'd be ok with the 13", I want to see what 15" models they offer.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

hatty posted:

Go here and set up an alert for the model you want

Of course they re-stock the refurbished page the day after I ask about it.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Sounds like a dying hard drive to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Typical Apple doing something now that people already did years ago. :v: