Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Anyone have any idea how much it costs to replace the body of a 13" mbpr? The internals and top case are fine, but the bottom piece was bent by an overzealous customs agent flying through LAX this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

SRQ posted:

Just the bottom cover? Not much but you'll need a pentalobe screwdriver to do it.
Looks like between $60 and 100 on eBay.

No the upper part of the bottom case. Where the keyboard rests. The usb port on the right hand side is bent upwards and rubs against the screen when closed. I don't care about the cosmetic damage but I'm worried about the screen cracking if any pressure is applied while the laptop is closed.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

My 2013 13" rmpb has a series of scratches and chips on the screen. Can the glass surface be replaced seperately from the LCD or am I looking at a top case replacement to fix the issue?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Sad Panda posted:

How are Apple in general about dead pixels? I've had my early 2013 rMBP for almost a year, and a couple of months ago noticed some dead pixels. They're not that annoying, and with AppleCare it's not like I need to get it done ASAP, but I figure it should get fixed at some stage. I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

I just took my rMBP in to get a screen replacement due to excessive scratches that drove me crazy fully expecting to pay the $400ish dollars they charge and they replaced it under warranty no questions asked. Looking at the work order after the fact the tech listed the problem as image retention which I guess is a known problem with the model. Try claiming that maybe?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Either you got someone who was feeling crazy nice or your display was actually having image retention issues (which is possible).

It's possible I actually had image retention problems but I never noticed them and I certainly didn't mention image retention to the tech. I think he just entered that as a reason for replacement so it was covered under AppleCare. I didn't even ask about warranty replacement, I was fully expecting and prepared to pay.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

ethanol posted:

i knew one person with a 17 inch and that was a person who also owned a brand new audi a4 but somehow made only about 30k a year doing 'reiki therapy' out of her basement apartment

A guy I knew got a job in the oil fields and went out and bought two fully loaded 17" macbook pros so he and his girlfriend could facetime most efficiently while he was in the field. The oil fields were too hard for him and he was home within two weeks. They did not return the laptops.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i've got a two month old mbp with three non functional keys. the soonest i can get a support appointment is March 21st. what are my options for either fixing this myself without voiding my applecare or getting the issue addressed earlier?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i've got a 13" mbpr from late 2017 (MacBookPro14,1) and i am getting rid of it because of it's terrible thermals, fan noise and poor battery life, not to mention repeated trips to the store to deal with keyboard issues and the ssd recall. i was going to switch to something like a dell xps 13 but every laptop i've looked at has significant tradeoffs i'm not sure i want to make. that said, how likely is it i just got a dud machine and i'm experiencing atypical thermal/noise/battery issues and a new mbpr will probably not have the same problems (at least to the same degree)?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

my 2018 mbp is currently with apple getting the screen replaced (hairline crack in lcd), the keyboard replaced (broken spacebar) and the logic board replaced (won't wake from sleep when plugged into external monitor and closed). i'm not sure what i'm actually getting back that was already mine. the rubber feet on the bottom case?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

what's the tdp of the new chips? my 2018 mbpr has disasterous thermals and there's no way i'm buying another mac until they address that

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm as interested to see what Apple puts out as anyone else, but 'pro' users have to be the most obnoxious consumer base

You never hear people go "I bought a Dell a few years back to replace my Mac Pro since the upgrade schedule was slower than I wanted, but I'm excited to see if Apple is releasing something new for the Pro market when I upgrade"

It's always "A$$LE HATES its PRO USERS and if they don't release new PRO hardware for another six or seven years, I'm definitely buying a DELL and DELETING MY MACRUMORS ACCOUNT"

the problem is the enthusiasts who imagine there's a pro market for osx on apple hardware but the reality is that the pro market is already on niche hardware apple won't produce, they're connecting to some data center with any consumer laptop or they're fine with a quad core i7 and any random modern gpu

what could possibly satisfy the "pro" market that apple can reasonably produce? a dual socket xeon workstation with two vega gpus running in crossfire? nobody except apple partisans wants that

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

If Apple makes up with Nvidia and ships something that runs CUDA they'll probably avoid scaring off their last big high powered customer base (scientific/calculation customers) who are nursing along cMP boxes or hackintoshes to run CUDA and are stuck on 10.13 cause Apple is being dumb about certifying drivers.

this is what the "pro" crowd actually want (even if they don't admit it/realize it). an i9 k series processor and a 2080ti that they can pull and replace with a 3080ti in three years. i think there's zero chance apple ship anything like that

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

LionArcher posted:

It depends on what you define as pro. You have one opinion, other pros have others.

all i'm saying is that a lot of people talk about how apple needs to produce a pro machine but very few people can describe a pro they would purchase that apple can reasonably produce that's meaningfully different from the mac mini or the imac pro

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

that monitor is super bizaare. only 10bit color depth and p3 support (no rec.2020). you can get a proper reference monitor for about the same price (tho in 4k, not 6k). i guess they're targetting people who care more about pixel density than color accuracy?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Fedule posted:

Just imagine what could be done if they ever agreed that, okay, these things are thin enough now, and we'll deign to make them a millimeter or two thicker in order to accommodate a keyboard with individually replacable caps and a less delicate mechanism or a slightly bigger heatsink. Or a camera array that doesn't jut out from the back of your phone, even.

i don't think it's actually about thinness. they just need the "best" keyboard and copying the same one that some pc manufacturer uses just won't do

you can get laptops with reasonable keyboards that are as thin or thinner than the mbp and comparable in every other way

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Totally Huge posted:

I have a 2017 15" MBP and I really dislike it. The lid/chassis creaks and makes popping noises constantly and the keyboard feels like poo poo to type on. I don't ever have issues with keys sticking but just hate the lack of travel. I do like the clicky-ness of them, though. This is the first Apple machine I've ever owned that I didn't love, since I started using them around the time OX X launched.

I will consider getting a 16" if it the keyboard is actually better even though I just dropped too much money on this thing a few years ago. If it has a physical escape key I'll be very tempted. But if it doesn't seem worth it does the 15" from this year at least not have the common issue of creaking and making loud popping noise at random? I seriously get so annoyed by it. I think the keyboard probably feels about the same as my 2017.

I also own a 13" XPS with Arch Linux installed for more work related stuff and other than the trackpad the hardware is SO much nicer than this. I really do like MacOS but no so much better that I'd really miss much about. If the XPS were a 15 incher I'd probably just get rid of my MBP and use it as my main laptop.

i have the same mbp with the same problem and i've taken it to the apple store three times to have it addressed and have seen zero improvement even with multiple top case and display replacements.

i too have an xps 13 and i would love if i could run osx on it so i could use it for work. i dunno how it happened but dell is crushing apple in laptop design/quality

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Brain Issues posted:

I dunno man, I've got the 16" MBP and its pretty much top tier with the exception of I/O and workstation-type GPU offerings. Dongle Life is retarded.

strong disagree. i'm a programmer and while i have a work issued 16" mbp (with 16gb of ram and the i9 8 core) i do 95% of my work on a five year old desktop with a quad core i5. regardless of what geekbench or whatever show, the performance of intellij, xcode and even vscode is so much better on the desktop than on the mbp. i don't know and don't care if it's thermals or tdp or lack of nvenc or what, but the performance of apple's laptops is embarassing

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

You can't really compare that because you're running Linux on the desktop, right?

as long as apple sell their laptops and operating system as a single indivisible package i think it's fair to hold this against them

especially as you can't run linux on the new laptops with the t2

fwiw, i'm using an imac tho

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

the fact that they are still selling the 10th gen i5 13" is pretty telling on where they expect these to land performance wise

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I think it's going to be worth waiting for reviews before shelling out for extra memory. It's a completely different architecture from the previous Macbooks so comparing 8gb of ram on Intel vs 8gb integrated ram on the actual Apple Silicon SOC doesn't really make sense.

The iPad Pro can outperform the i9 Macbook Pro on some tasks and it does it all with only 6gb of ram. The iPhone Pro also has 6gb and runs circles around comparable android handsets with 12gb ram. We just don't know what the performance will be like yet.

the ipad and iphone can run with low amounts of system memory because they aggressively background anything that isn't the foreground app. even safari ejects idle tabs from memory and has to reload them pretty frequently. the ram usage isn't indicative of more efficient architecture, just an operating system that strictly restricts any kind of concurrency

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

How much of this is actual architectural advantages, and how much of it is using a 5nm process compared to a very shaky 10nm one (for the intel Macbooks)?

tsmc's 5nm has an edge over intel's 10nm but less than is implied by the feature size. it's barely ahead in density. apple designed a core for monstrous integer operation perf and succeeded

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

cowofwar posted:

No reason other than margins and yields that Apple couldn’t put larger memory modules on the soc right? Seems like the next tier would have up to 64gig available. That would be amazing performance for large memory jobs given the latency.

they probably need a different memory controller for more than 16gb of ram. the one on the m1 is probably the exact same one as apple has been using on the a series up to now. if it could handle more than 16gb of ram they almost certainly would have made it an option on the mac mini at the very least. if i had to guess we won't see more than 16gb of ram until the m2. at least if they follow the same conventions as the a12x and a12z.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Some Goon posted:

The only reason Apple can make this work is because the produce both the hardware and the software. Microsoft would have to (again) write Windows-on-ARM on spec and hope that manufacturers will produce ARM devices, and that developers won't just ignore it, whereas Apple can just strongarm everyone. I'm not saying it's impossible that the market will shift such that MS/Intel/Clevo are all on the same page, but I am going to stand over here eyeing the suggestion dismissively.

apple also controls much more of the software on the mac than microsoft does on pcs. other than chrome what's the most popular non electron app on mac? maybe something from adobe? or ms office? apple can plausibly have a launch where 95% of the software users actually use is already optimized for their new hardware. microsoft is never going to be able to do that

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

well why not posted:

Again, why would Apple spend $500m on a AAA title when they make that from Among Us, with no effort? A game like that probably sells a million touch devices.

among us is a weird example to keep coming back to as it took a pc release for it to make any kind of impact. it was an abject failure until twitch picked it up

if apple wants to be relevant in games it needs a better strategy than being home to parasitic experiences like genshin impact and candy crush and picking up the scraps from pc/platform success

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

BobHoward posted:

Tangent from Apple gaming discussion - That seems very unfair to Among Us. It was a tiny indie team working on next to no budget. No money equals no marketing equals a tough time getting noticed and making sales, despite which they were doing well enough to make plans for Among Us 2 even before the twitch popularity explosion. And once it took off on Twitch, well, there's your marketing department.

i'm not throwing shade on the team or the game. it's a great game and their success is well deserved. i'm just saying apple had absolutely nothing to do with it so it's weird to hold it up as an apple gaming success

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

mediaphage posted:

srsly tho these days displaylink is totally fine if you aren’t basically gaming

displaylink didn't work for ~6 months when catalina came out. it's also a terrible experience even when it works

source: i use a displaylink dock with my work laptop

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

you can understand why some might take “abject failure” as criticism of the game and/or team, I’m sure

(hi!)

sure, i should have qualified it with *commercial* probably

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

For dev folks, do you have a way to quantify if/how/when your Neural Engine is being utilized whether in compile or app utilization?

you have to opt in to the neural engine via the CoreML api. it's not something that apps can just use without specifically targetting. however, other apple apis (like Core Image) could plausibly making use of it

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

buglord posted:

So are the M1 chips any beefier than the current iPhone 12/iPad Pro chips? Or are they the same power but just techno-alchemy'd into working on macos?

they're the exact same cores, just more of them on the m1

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

SourKraut posted:

I believe the M1 cores can operate at a higher max frequency, and I believe possibly have more L1 and L2 cache (?), so a few tweaks here and there.

this is just cooling. they can run them faster for longer because they can dissipate heat more effectively in a laptop frame than in a phone or ipad frame. i'm not sure about the cache, i'd be a little suprised if the l1 was different tho

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Shy posted:

Do any other companies make ARMs they wouldn't be ashamed to put in a laptop? Do any companies make any other architecture that could theoretically be in a PC?

there's a bunch of impressive work going on for server ARM platforms (AWS, Ampere, Xilinx, TI, Fuji, others) but they make tradeoffs that probably aren't great for desktop systems. nvidia is surely gonna do something if their ARM purchase gets past regulators. the newest snapdragon platform is probably competitive at the low end in pcs, but qualcom has weird incentives that make it unlikely they'd get deep into desktop pcs

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

The only way Qualcomm gets competitive in this regard is if other companies with a clear stake in this (Microsoft, Google, Dell, etc) form a consortium and pay for the privilege of having commodity-class PC ARM chips.

Otherwise there’s no profit motive there under the current arrangements for Qualcomm to go it alone on the development. They’d have to know from the get-go that there would be a BIG order waiting for them at the end.

qualcomm only really sell their soc because it gets their radios into devices. that doesn't really apply in the desktop market

if a desktop quality arm processor takes over the pc industry it'll come from ARM, AMD or nvidia

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wouldn’t count Intel out, they have all the cash and size in the world and an industry full of well-established relationships to both leverage and protect.

In ten years we’ll be talking about how obvious it was that Intel was going to buy and hire their way to ARM competitiveness and the Mac will be in the same niche it was in in 2009 with a numerically larger user base.

i think it's early to count out x86 and intel personally. a lot of what apple has done is only really possible because they were able to commit to a specialized chip that they knew they were going to fab in the millions of units. if intel could produce a single chip in that quantity for a market as narrow as pc laptops they could specialize it to a significant degree. what is holding intel back is that they are producing a platform that has to serve everyone from high performance workstations to budget laptops to massively parallel server applications. a lot of those applications are not economically feasible to fill with a specialized soc. who other than intel has the ability to offer a platform that can be tweaked to each of those applications? no one is even close right now. even if intel were to back away from their own ISA to producing that same platform for ARM they'd still have trouble competing against apple for all the same reasons

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Now all we need is for AAA game devs to actually take macOS seriously as a platform and port things.

when it comes to control apple are basically nintendo but ramped up to 11. they'll never get game devs onboard without a huge cultural change at the top of apple

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

buglord posted:

Can ARM tech eventually benefit high performance/gaming PCs? Or is there no point in developing ARM gaming PCs since you can just make a bigger CPU and keep feeding more power since you have much better cooling options? Its just weird that supposedly cell phone/tablet CPUs are outperforming hotter/slower/more power hungry processors?

I rewrote this post like six times trying to ask this question without outing myself an as an idiot. I have failed.

the switch is an arm console. the gamecube, wii, ps3 and xbox 360 were all powerpc which is very similar to arm.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Rollie Fingers posted:

I'm connecting my Mac Mini M1 with a USB C to Displayport cable to take advantage of that sweet 144hz refresh rate, but once I turn the mini on, I have to unplug the cable and plug it back in for my monitor to recognise it.

Anyone else having this issue? The cable is high quality I'd like to believe it's just a Big Sur issue that'll be rectified with a software fix, but I might have to return the Mini.

I won't use HDMI because 85hz looks like crap :)

apple's dp implementation is poo poo. i have the same problem on an intel mbp running catalina

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

the love for the 5k monitor/imac display is strange because apart from the dpi it's a really poor monitor. it's refresh rate, response time and uniformity all combine to make it a blurry, smeary mess compared to high end 4k displays

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

LionArcher posted:

For text editing graphic design it is basically the best monitor. Unless you count the XDR, which I don’t because for the cost you can have a fully decked out desktop and solid laptop with some money left over.

it's not even close. it's not rec.709 certified and it doesn't even support full 10bit color

it's got the highest dpi you can get at the price but the trade off is terrible response time, poor contrast, poor uniformity and average at best brightness. this is a much better monitor at half the cost

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

dpi
500+ nits with osx integration for brightness control
charges / displays / 3 usbc over one cable
decent color gamut

What is the alternative in the $1-1.2k range? I don't game so the refresh rate / response time aren't an issue to me, I'd rather have the extra brightness.

if you care about brightness you should get an hdr gaming monitor. many of them will do double the brightness of the lg ultrafine at the same price. you also benefit from true 10 bit color and better refresh rates and response times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

not to diminish the m1, but it really is just an upscaled ipad soc. the ipad can only drive a single external monitor so the m1 can only drive a single external monitor. i bet we don't get multiple displays until the m2