Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

After being wishy-washy to me about the subject for the longest time due to feeling awkward about my strong views, the boyfriend (of 3 and a half years) revealed that listening to "Children" is important to him. This is a problem, because I cannot loving stand that Robert Miles song. I loathe it. I hated eurodance when it broke in the '90s and my parents decided it was the hip new thing.

Having guilty musical pleasures is a basic human thing, and I understand that, but I cannot get into it. I recognize that other people may find it disgusting that I'm so turned off by the very idea, so recently I purposely have tried to get acquainted with '90s music by talking to a friend who is a DJ, and reading about it online. But I just can't get over how sick to my stomach it makes me to even think of dancing to those awful 4/4 beats or listening to those synthesised piano loops. The more I try to expose myself to Robert Miles, the more repulsed I feel.

Is something wrong with me?

It would be easy for a stranger to mistakenly trace my hatred of "Children" back to my parents "trying to be hip", but this is in fact the opposite of how I feel. Firstly, I hated eurodance when I was still a child, way before my parents thought it was ever great. When I saw eurotrash in public, I felt sorry for them and was always thankful that I wasn't in a family like that. Then it actually happened to me and I felt cursed. When my mother announced she started liking 2 Unlimited and Dr Alban, I started crying, thinking there was some kind of mistake, and suggested the easy way out: grunge music. She started laughing at me. I was sad and confused.

Secondly, since I spent my childhood as a kid who loved weird music like Tangerine Dream and Pink Floyd, the entire family's laser focus was on me. We also lived in a small town, so everyone was always "HOW ARE YOU DOING HO HO HO YOU'RE GETTING SO TALL HOW'S SCHOOL GOING KEEP LISTENING TO YOUR WEIRD MUSIC YOU FREAK". I was glad to have some attention taken away from me. The only good thing that came from my parents getting into Robert Miles, Toni Di Bart and other craptastic artists is that I got some alone time, Jesus.

Also, I wanted to strangle everyone who assumed I also liked eurodance because I liked some 70s electronica, even though the rhythms and structure of say a Kraftwerk song owe to Krautrock and eurodance was totally loving born out of a meld of gay New York house and European new beat. I refused to listen to a note of 2 Brothers of the 4th Floor or Cappella for about four years. It was all the worse because I was one of the few hip teenagers in the region, and I hated when adults assumed I was a club chick. This really happened. I made so much effort to be good and this loving song "Children" ruined it all. In a small town environment where strangers recognized your face, appearance was important.

(It is important to mention that my parents don't listen to that music anymore.)

As a little kid I used to think tapping your foot to a beat was dumb, and dancing gross, and synthesised piano was gross, but that changed in order as I got older, of course. So, applying the same logic, I should be changing my mind about "Children" sometime soon. But I'm already 23, and I get sick thinking about an arpeggio just as much as I did when I was 12. Do you still think it's likely I'll change my mind? How did it happen for you? I plan on sticking with my boyfriend for as long as possible, but I don't want this almost irrational hatred to be a problem down the line. It's a pretty big difference in music taste. We're great everywhere else.

One day my boyfriend's mother called us all to the computer to take a look at "this really cool photo". It was a picture of that smug one-hit wonder motherfucker Robert Miles. As we all peered at it, everyone else went wow so many good 90s memories, while I fell silent and fought the urge to leave the room. They all marveled at the miracle of "Children" while I recoiled as if it were a disturbing shock video. If I had a weaker stomach I would have vomited. That can't be a normal and good response.

I'm mainly worried that if this feeling doesn't change, then I will be socially crippled for life. Sooner or later all the other ladies my age listen to eurodance, and I will have nothing to contribute to their happiness except a smile and nod.

My personality and life, because you guys might see something that I don't: I do not have communication problems or any history of mental illness, and I have many friends who love and support me, and vice versa. My parents forced me to dress up as DJ Bobo as punishment for things like farting and smelling of patchouli. I never saw or touched cocks until I was 19 and felt like I deserved to do them. Lastly, I adore anal. Beads, rimjobs, piercings, bleachings, fisting, unusual insertions, bugs, you name it, I love 'em. But Robert Miles...

One day at lunch in 9th grade, I told my friends how much I hated "Children", and that I had a feeling I would hate other electronic dance music from Europe when I became older. They looked at me funny. "Really?" they said. After all, this was pretty much the music everyone my age listened to. But lo and behold, DJ Tiësto is vermin to me now. I will probably also hate future trends when I'm in my 30's.

tldr: I'm 23, and I've tried to introduce myself to the idea of eurodance and it's not working. Is it possible that there's something wrong with my musical taste, or whatever it is that makes you want to enjoy Magic Affair or Captain Hollywood Project? Or do I just need to keep waiting? I know for a fact there are others like me out there, but I've never met someone like that personally, which is why I feel so lost, so please tell me how you feel if you are one of those people. I have no one to talk bluntly about it with. It's not an urgent situation, but it's important nonetheless.

I go back and forth between feeling angry and feeling sorry for myself, which you can probably see in this post's writing. Please help me. It can't be right for someone to hate a great pop classic like "Children."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Earwicker posted:

So don't talk to kids like that, talk to them like you would anyone else. I remember adults talking to me like that when I was a little kid and I hated it.

Yeah, I was going to say something similar. I'm not really a kids person either, but usually they seem to like me because I talk to them like people instead of magical retards.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Vulvarine posted:

From what I understand, babies' hearing is more attuned to higher-pitched sounds (including women's voices in preference to men's voices) so baby-talk (being higher-pitched) is actually a reasonable way of interacting with them. If you find yourself near a baby, try both and you'll see that they pay attention to "motherese" more than normal speech.

Yeah, but we're talking about babies. I think most people were referring to kids who could at least already form coherent sentences.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Maybe. To be fair, grandparents also get baby-talked at often :(.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

I personally simply don't understand why people have kids. I genuinely do not get it. My ex would tell me that she would have lucid dreams about having a baby nearly every time she slept and how happy those dreams were. That to me sounded like hormone fueled insanity than a good reason.

Autism is a hell of a state.