Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm going to be the positive Sounders homer for a minute and say that Yedlin is a cool dude and it's really cool that he got a chance this year, I hope he has fun in Brazil and continues to do cool things for my club team. :)

Shame that Evans didn't make it but that means he'll hopefully be back this week so whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
I'm not going nuts about Donovan being left out just because Donovan is left out. It's more that Donovan is left out while Brad Davis is in...

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

Wish Goodson could of made it. Also if vaginal culture could gently caress off to another planet

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Good news is I know at least two of our World Cup players have a soft spot for strippers, so... When in Brazil, I guess.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Eelface posted:

Also if vaginal culture could gently caress off to another planet

Why?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Tigren posted:

Good news is I know at least two of our World Cup players have a soft spot for strippers, so... When in Brazil, I guess.

I'm pretty sure all soccer players do

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

you're needed there to bring the lulz

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If Bradley weren't just young enough, we'd be launching Graham Zusi into "face of the USMNT" status. The dude has the charisma and notability of a graham cracker. I'm pulling hard for our old timers, in particular Beasely who is a real unsung hero.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Eelface posted:

Wish Goodson could of made it. Also if vaginal culture could gently caress off to another planet

Phwoar she's a tall one

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Eelface posted:

That guy is fat as hell are USMNT taking him to the world cup? And why are we talking about the world cup in the non competitive thread?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

That guy is fat as hell are USMNT taking him to the world cup? And why are we talking about the world cup in the non competitive thread?

We're talking about a player not competing at the World Cup. Only makes sense OP.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

who's going to wear #10 if donovan is dead

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Tigren posted:

We're talking about a player not competing at the World Cup. Only makes sense OP.

Yup, sadly, this is Donanvan's thread now.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

be nice wicka posted:

who's going to wear #10 if donovan is dead

I sperged out a bit last night and thought about this.

quote:

1 T. Howard
3 O. Gonzalez
4 M. Bradley
5 M. Besler
7 D. Beasley
8 C. Dempsey
9 A. Johannsson
11 A. Bedoya
13 J. Jones
14 K. Beckerman
15 B. Davis
17 J. Altidore
18 J. Brooks
19 G. Zusi
20 G. Cameron
23 F. Johnson

T. Chandler
M. Diskerud
C. Wondolowski
B.Guzan
D. Yedlin
J. Green
N. Rimando

(And those are just semi-educated guesses based on what they've worn in past matches)

FWIW, Jose Francisco Torres (remember him) and Joe Corona wore it for last year's pre-Donovan WC qualifiers and neither even saw the field, I think.

poo poo, maybe Green, maybe Wondo. Doesn't have the same "prestige" on the U.S. squad, really.

In conclusion: Apologies to anyone who ordered their bombpop shirt with a name/# but you should've known better

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 23, 2014

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Mix I bet.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Real Name Grover posted:

I sperged out a bit last night and thought about this.

(And those are just semi-educated guesses based on what they've worn in past matches)

FWIW, Jose Francisco Torres (remember him) and Joe Corona wore it for last year's pre-Donovan WC qualifiers and neither even saw the field, I think.

poo poo, maybe Green, maybe Wondo. Doesn't have the same "prestige" on the U.S. squad, really.

In conclusion: Apologies to anyone who ordered their bombpop shirt with a name/# but you should've known better

Guzan and Rimando are getting the highest numbers not taken, so 21 and 22.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
That squad is literally garbage defensively and offensively. Michael Bradley is going to have to carry everyone on his giant head

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

80085 posted:

That squad is literally garbage defensively and offensively. Michael Bradley is going to have to carry everyone on his giant head

unfortunately with landon gone he's the only giant forehead left

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
What does everyone itt think of Klinsmann as a manager? Is he any good? I read an article that suggested USMNT fans were getting a bit fed up of him. Are there any home grown coaches who could replace him?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
i like him the sex ghost

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
he killed my idol landon donovan i hate him

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

the sex ghost posted:

What does everyone itt think of Klinsmann as a manager? Is he any good? I read an article that suggested USMNT fans were getting a bit fed up of him. Are there any home grown coaches who could replace him?

Home grown American coaches lets see hm yes I think Ben Olsen should apply

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
landon donovan should replace him as manager

he will require everyone to take 6 months off a year to refresh

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

the sex ghost posted:

I think lots of people had overly high expectations before Klinsmann took over--after all, US soccer had been courting him since 2006. When he took the job five years later, a lot of people who don't follow the game that closely probably assumed he was a panacea for our lack of success on the world stage. Americans generally like to see quick results and speedy improvement, so lots of people are pissed that he's been coach for 3 years and we're still most likely going to play 270 frustrating minutes in this World Cup and do that without one of our biggest stars. I don't really fault him for the current state of our team (dude's done everything in his power to expand our shallow talent pool over the last 3 years), but I also don't see why Donovan isn't on the squad. I don't think that was the right decision. On the other hand, Klinsmann has managed to get quite a few unexpected results out of our team (mostly in friendlies, granted) despite (or maybe due to? wtf do I know) some controversial decisions. Basically, I'm willing to wait and see how it shakes out.

In time, maybe Tab Ramos could take the reins, but for now, Bob Bradley was/is probably the best homegrown coach, and he literally saw fit to start Jonathan Bornstein and Ricardo Clark in World Cup matches, so I think that probably answers the second half of your question.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Agreed with ^this^ and will add that 2013 turned out alright after the Straus article came out.

Might as well give him the benefit of the doubt until we crash and burn next month.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Yeah, even if we do crash and burn it's not like it's unexpected. An out of shape Donovan isn't going to be the thing that sees us stop Ronaldo or not get shellacked by Germany. So those calling for his head due to one decision are a bit crazy, methinks.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Thats why im so sad Landy isn't going.

We arent getting out of the group stage, so why not let him have a grand sendoff?

Just happy to be here, but would be happier with landon

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I for one am gutted that Donovan was left out because an attacking player who doesn't track back is exactly what this squad needs more of.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I for one am gutted that Donovan was left out because an attacking player who doesn't track back is exactly what this squad needs more of.

Please. Our outside backs don't even track back. Not like Davis, green, or Bedoya will either. Nice try though.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Im glad donovan isnt going hes beta as gently caress, always looks on the verge of tears, i bet he does all the pssy moves in the locker room before matches which prob ruins morale

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.

tbp posted:

Im glad donovan isnt going hes beta as gently caress, always looks on the verge of tears, i bet he does all the pssy moves in the locker room before matches which prob ruins morale

I love you Bianca.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

There was a US v Mexico "Legends Cup" game today in LA. The US won 2-1, Galindo scoring for Mex, Kirovsky and Razov for the US. Good fun.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I guess it is time to dust this thread off. Other than Yedlin and Green, who are the youngsters that we should be looking out for? Think we will continue to test young MLS talent? Or will we continue to try and pull from Bayern's B team?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I for one hope we continue to have military bases in football loving countries!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

BlueBayou posted:

I for one hope we continue to have military bases in football loving countries!

Yeah, I don't think we have a large enough military presence in South America. Maybe Chile or Brasil would be willing to lease us a few hundred acres?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The Natal stadium is just going to go to waste after this right? There's the land right there.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Wrong thread

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

No no, what were you going to say?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

El Jebus posted:

No no, what were you going to say?

It was something about the US winning the World Cup with drones or something. I posted it in the MDT.

E: we will win the World Cup with drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INKRO
Feb 7, 2012

El Jebus posted:

I guess it is time to dust this thread off. Other than Yedlin and Green, who are the youngsters that we should be looking out for? Think we will continue to test young MLS talent? Or will we continue to try and pull from Bayern's B team?

This whole world cup has been a giant green signal to test out MLS talents, so I expect Trapp, Kitchen, Mcinerney, and Shipp to come in very soon.

• Locked thread