Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Catalina posted:

Giant Bomb did a Quick Look at Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. The url is http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey/17-2204/

But speaking of more important things, the boobs in Devil Survivor are so silly and unrealistic looking, I find them more hilarious than anything else. It's kind of like a trademark of the series now, with each female character getting more ridiculous than the last.

Honestly, all I want them to do to the characters in Devil Survivor is get their loving anatomy under control. Someone mentioned looking at their spines in the last thread, and it really bears repeating. Their upper torsos are seriously deformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Catalina posted:

That makes me really happy to hear! I don't have a PS3 or Xbox360 and wouldn't have been able to buy it at launch anyway, so I'm happy to hear it's doing so well. The game was unique and seemed like kind of a risk (the good kind), so it's great it's doing so well and so many people are enjoying it.

I did inform a friend of the super deluxe edition, which he ended up ordering, so maybe I contributed in my own small way.

By the way, how do you guys on this thread feel about general news on Shin Megami Tensei merchandise? I run across it from time to time, so I don't mind reporting what I think is the awesome stuff. For instance, I've seen news that they're making figures of Caterine from Catherine (of course), Izanagi from Persona 4, and another goddamned figure of Aigis from Persona 3. (Though it's the most awesome figure of her I've seen)

I bought a few of the One Coin figures (mostly for the Jack Bros) and they are not bad.

http://www.videogamemm.com/thehorde/main.php?g2_itemId=14388

I don't buy many of those types of things but I like looking at them on the internet when they get released. It's kind of a bummer that they have like four different Aigis figures while many other characters (and Persona 1 and 2 entirely) are totally ignored. Someday they will make either a Katsuya or a Baufu statue and I'll have to break down and get one.

A long time ago I got some limited edition SMT3 Nocturne figures since some web store was selling them off for real cheap with the Nocturne card game which I guess wasn't popular. They were pretty bad quality and Chiaki came with two left arms.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So am I just blind or is Atlus not doing anything special for Overclocked. Not even a mini-soundtrack? :smith:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The idea of a 3DS Persona game is something that I don't think my body could handle. It would be like literal crack to me. I would become pale and emaciated and found dead two weeks later clutching the 3DS in a pool of my own fluids.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Strange Matter posted:

The idea of a 3DS Persona game is something that I don't think my body could handle. It would be like literal crack to me. I would become pale and emaciated and found dead two weeks later clutching the 3DS in a pool of my own fluids.
Except it will probably just be a rerelease of P1PSP. It would be cool though if they took another crack at fixing all the things complained about.

NIV3K fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 3, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I think I'm just going to wait for Persona 2 PSP to come out here. I'm enjoying the translated rom but as lame as this may sound, I'd like to actually pay for it and the enhanced version probably has slight UI improvements.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Strange Matter posted:

I can't wait for a SMT 3DS Dungeon crawler. I hope they put that fancy new hardware to good use by making some nice demon sprites.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

kthegreat posted:

Except it will probably just be a rerelease of P1PSP. It would be cool though if they took another crack at fixing all the things complained about.

Or Persona 4 Portable. Complete with Teddie making unbearable 4th wall breaking jokes about "still needing glases for the fog".

poo poo a Persona 4 remake with the same content upgrades as P3P (ie lady protag) would probably be the thing that forces me to get a 3DS.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

A Sometimes Food posted:

Or Persona 4 Portable. Complete with Teddie making unbearable 4th wall breaking jokes about "still needing glases for the fog".

poo poo a Persona 4 remake with the same content upgrades as P3P (ie lady protag) would probably be the thing that forces me to get a 3DS.
Craaaaaaap.

Now you've got my hopes up, and I'm halfway through Novemeber in P3FES, and that makes me want to wait till its confirmed/denied to pick up P4.

What a horrible limbo I have been thrust into.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Didn't Atlus explicitly state that they weren't going to make P4P?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Technique posted:

Didn't Atlus explicitly state that they weren't going to make P4P?

Back after P4 was released they said it wouldn't have an FES or anything because it was the complete version.

So they won't unless they see enough dollar signs.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I imagine if the anime does well they may consider making P4P but who knows.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Back after P4 was released they said it wouldn't have an FES or anything because it was the complete version.

So they won't unless they see enough dollar signs.

Yeah, that's true. I believe they've also stated that they didn't like the idea of doing a Persona 4 Portable because of the limitations in graphics and that sort of storytelling that P3P had. Personally, I don't think a P4P it's in development now, but I don't believe it's completely out of the question, despite what their official statements have been. There will be an anime of Persona 4, the new generation of portables have more technical capabilities, it's a timely time to come out with a new rerelease, and yeah, money. Personally, of course, I hope there will be one.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

One problem with a P4P: severe lack of dateable guys. Once you eliminate the ones with existing romantic entanglements and/or incompatible preferences, that leaves, what? Kou (boring) or Teddie (:gonk:)

Maybe they could give Funky Student a social link.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
As cool as a P4P would be, I wish they would concentrate in Persona 5 already. It's been almost 4 years is P4 came out and we haven't heard anything about 5.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
It's only been three years since Persona 4 came out, and they've been working on Persona 5 since they finished Persona 3 Portable.

They could make Persona 4 Portable and add a bunch of new characters and things except that 1) they're working on more important games and 2) Persona 4 sold pretty drat poorly in the west.

Who knows, we could always get a spin-off game based on the cartoon somehow :anime:

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

Suaimhneas posted:

One problem with a P4P: severe lack of dateable guys. Once you eliminate the ones with existing romantic entanglements and/or incompatible preferences, that leaves, what? Kou (boring) or Teddie (:gonk:)

I get the feeling your good old Uncle Dojima would be an option... :gonk:
I mean, they already had pedophilia with Ken in P3P, why not throw in incest?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

gently caress you I want to date Kanji :colbert: Of course I wanted to date Kanji in the original P4 anyway, but alas it wasn't to be :(

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

MachineryNoise posted:

I get the feeling your good old Uncle Dojima would be an option... :gonk:
I mean, they already had pedophilia with Ken in P3P, why not throw in incest?

I think dating Nanako would be more in line with Japanese sensibilities. :shepface:

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I would actually love to see more handheld SMT games. A new Persona game on a 3DS or Vita would be awesome in my opinion. I mean, I have a PS3, so I would obviously pick up any new console games. But I find my tastes shifting more to the portable sides these days.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Suaimhneas posted:

Kou, Daisuke, Yosuke, maybe Teddy? P3P had three dateable guys (Shinji, Akihiko, and... uh. Ken). So really only two. That's not counting the student council president and Ryoji, though. You might replace the Moon and Devil social links. Or... or not.

If they ever make a P4P I really hope they keep Kanji's social link the same. It feels like it would be appropriate for either sex.

Justice posted:

Who knows, we could always get a spin-off game based on the cartoon somehow :anime:

An anime game based on an anime based on an anime game.

My god.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

Come on, don't you want to date Naoki?

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Justice posted:

2) Persona 4 sold pretty drat poorly in the west.

I could have sworn it broke Atlus sales records in the west and did mediocre in the east, but apparently it's the opposite. Can I blame the fact that it was basically the last PS2 game?

And who wouldn't want to date Teddie? What a guy :swoon:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Ryanbomber posted:

I could have sworn it broke Atlus sales records in the west and did mediocre in the east, but apparently it's the opposite. Can I blame the fact that it was basically the last PS2 game?

Unless 'underselling by 40,000 units' is a sales record. :(

At least P1 for PSP and P3P had strong sales, and hopefully so will P2 for PSP when it comes out here.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 3, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I hope Persona 5 is on the Vita so we can just call it PV.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Endorph posted:

Come on, don't you want to date Naoki?

I don't think anyone wants to do anything with Naoki.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Justice posted:

Unless 'underselling by 40,000 units' is a sales record. :(

At least P1 for PSP and P3P had strong sales, and hopefully so will P2 for PSP when it comes out here.

Yeah. At least you'll be getting one sale from me when it comes out. Brand new, since it comes with a preorder bonus, and the money goes directly to the publisher. In September, which is the worst month for video game consumers, because so many games come out at once. :smithicide:

(Warning: the following is information I pulled out of my memory, and was too lazy to research) I've always been kind of curious. Didn't Atlus project 150,000 sales for Persona 4 in the United States, while sales for Persona 3 and FES were somewhat far below that?

Also, I think the 110,000 sales figure was the total sales at the end of 2009. Which is pretty drat important in an investment and return sense, but I wonder how many English copies of the game have been sold in the 2010-present time period. There was a lot of fan activity and interest on the internet during 2009-2010. I wonder how many people were holding out until they were sure there wasn't going to be an extended rerelease, or became interested in the series because of some of the popular fanworks.

If I was investing money, I doubt that would convince me to put money on a project that undersold, though.

ETA: I can't believe I wrote 3 paragraphs on real world stuff instead of the possible dating simulation elements of a Persona 4 Portable; something is wrong with me today.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 4, 2011

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Didn't it come out on the rear end end of 2008 or something? On the PS2??? I'm surprised they got as many sales as they did.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Perfect Potato posted:

Didn't it come out on the rear end end of 2008 or something? On the PS2??? I'm surprised they got as many sales as they did.

Yeah, for some reason Atlus USA thought releasing it three weeks before Christmas of 2008 was a good idea, because P4 was totally going to compete with Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, Rock Band 2, and that year's other holiday heavyweights.

P3 was released in August, and FES in April, which just might have had something to do with the better sales.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Yeah, for some reason Atlus USA thought releasing it three weeks before Christmas of 2008 was a good idea, because P4 was totally going to compete with Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, Rock Band 2, and that year's other holiday heavyweights.

P3 was released in August, and FES in April, which just might have had something to do with the better sales.

Wow, I checked the date after reading this, and FES was in April 2008, too, only eight months after Persona 3 was released....

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Catalina posted:

Wow, I checked the date after reading this, and FES was in April 2008, too, only eight months after Persona 3 was released....

FES had been out for months by the time vanilla P3 made it overseas. Go figure.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
People tend to underestimate the value of the long tail when it comes to revenue and the like. For instance, most movie studios make the majority of their profit off DVD sales and not box office turn-outs. Box office is a big deal 'cause it's easy to report on and sounds really nice, and it's not to say it isn't important, but there's a lot of value in the longevity of a product.

Games don't work quite the same way as movies do, of course, but if the sales are steady month to month, then it still warrants a win. That's why Atlus always publishes in very small doses--it keeps costs down and demand high, and so they'll sell out quickly and only make as many as they need.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So, wait, as far as dating Shinji is concerned, does that mean he doesn't die in the girl MC storyline, or do you have to max his S.Link out before that happens?

And, I'm almost afraid to ask, do you end up "sharing a special evening" with Ken? :gonk:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
You have to max his S.Link out before it happens. You have like a month but he shows up most nights so it's not too difficult.

And no, I don't think so.

Schlegel Mach posted:

An anime game based on an anime based on an anime game.

My god.

It's anime all the way down.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

So, wait, as far as dating Shinji is concerned, does that mean he doesn't die in the girl MC storyline, or do you have to max his S.Link out before that happens?

And, I'm almost afraid to ask, do you end up "sharing a special evening" with Ken? :gonk:

You HAVE to max out his social link. Him surviving only makes sense within the context of the last events of the social link.

From what I've read, you do, but the MAX RANK scene has been toned down in the English version to *specifically* not be sexual. The Japanese version was not. I have no idea about the Christmas event, though.

^^^^^^^^^
ETA:

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

FES had been out for months by the time vanilla P3 made it overseas. Go figure.

Yeah, that's a good point that I didn't think of. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I wonder what the long term sales of PErsona 3, FES, Portable, and 4 were, now....

Catalina fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 4, 2011

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Catalina posted:

From what I've read, you do, but the MAX RANK scene has been toned down in the English version to *specifically* not be sexual. The Japanese version was not. I have no idea about the Christmas event, though.

While the fade-to-black message for every other Rank 10 dating link is "You spend a long time with (character)", the message for Ken is "You spend a long time talking with Ken". So, y'know, I guess at least they at least acknowledged how weird it was, sort of?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

By the way, for the Shin Megami Tensei games released in Europe, are they all English language only, or do any of them have a Spanish language option?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Catalina posted:

By the way, for the Shin Megami Tensei games released in Europe, are they all English language only, or do any of them have a Spanish language option?

Sad thing is, given that the titles seem to jump rapidly between European publishers (Ghostlight did a few, then Koei, then Square-Enix and now a whole new set of guys are doing Catherine) you really can't tell with any consistency.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

Catalina posted:

Nocturne was publish by UbiSoft here and it's translated in French. Maybe they integrated other languages too ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So, apparently Catherine did pretty good on its first week. Can we have P5 now? Please? :shobon: