Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Instant Grat posted:

I was actually about to ask if Innocent Sin is gonna start getting hard soon - I just finished the second dungeon (the red disco-place where everyone is wearing masks) and so far my SP recovers so quickly that it gets completely restored before every battle, and even in boss fights, getting one character to heal every two turns or so usually does the trick for keeping me alive.

There's a point where the game kicks into "high gear" and you know it without a doubt, as cinematics are involved. After that point, the game starts getting really hard, and then by the very end it sort of reels back into simpler territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1397183526

So, if I'm reading the internet right, there's something about a new P4A2 character coming out on the 25th?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If they bring in Koromaru I might be back on board with those games.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
In general though, in Persona 2, SP is mostly a limiting factor within a given fight, not between multiple fights. You should be going into them if not full, then full enough.*

*more or less. Some dungeons can wear you down.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hope the new character is the Nanako with Dojima replacing a Persona pair that was rumored to be DLC for Arena 1. That would be kinda funny.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's probably Adachi.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any of those three and I'll buy the game. All 3 and I'll buy dancing all night :colbert:

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
How much longer do I have to go I'm Soul Hackers if I just finished the last spirit quest and am in the algon HQ where Finnegan proposes to team up with you?

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Cromlech posted:

How much longer do I have to go I'm Soul Hackers if I just finished the last spirit quest and am in the algon HQ where Finnegan proposes to team up with you?

Been a little while since I last played but I think you have that dungeon, some bosses, and one smallish dungeon left to go.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Walker posted:

I strongly encourage people to play Innocent Sin first, partly for the story and characters (Michel my belle :allears:) and partly because it's MUCH easier. I don't think I died once in 70-odd hours of IS, not even to the super-hard secret enemy or the bonus PSP dungeon, but the first boss in EP wiped the floor with me.

Old Maid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EMTHyRWGFY&t=11m34s

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So I'm nearing the end of my second playthrough of four for SMT IV and I'm digging the game. I want to branch out and try the Persona games, but I don't presently have a playstation of any sort. Should I just knuckle down and get a PS4 in anticipation of P5 or just roll with an earlier gen for now?

Also, I remember seeing Revelations: The Demon Slayer in Nintendo Power ages ago and wanting it lots. Never managed to get ahold of it, and I learned from the megami tensei wikia it was apparently a SMT spinoff! How about that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Persona 5 is going to be on the PS3.

e: Exclusively, not just a downgraded version or anything.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 15, 2014

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Considering that persona 5 is coming out for the ps3 getting a ps4 is a pretty bad way to get into the persona series. If you get a vita you'll have access to every main persona game released so far. A ps3 has got persona 3 fes and persona 4 as ps2 classics and the second half of persona 2 as a ps1 classic plus persona 5 when that comes out.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh, sweet. Admittedly, part of the reason I was thinking console was to have a DVD/BD player (I don't even have a TV yet, this'd be long-term planning), but it'd probably be easier just to get the Vita then. Would take up less space, too. Thanks!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Vita is limited to Persona 3 Portable, it cannot play PS2 games (or PS3 games for that matter.) At least until Sony gets Playstation Now working.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh, gotcha, I misunderstood then. Well, either way, good to know I don't need to spring for a PS4.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dehry posted:

Vita is limited to Persona 3 Portable, it cannot play PS2 games (or PS3 games for that matter.) At least until Sony gets Playstation Now working.

Vita isn't limited to P3P. It can play every Persona game (except 5, obviously)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Vita isn't limited to P3P. It can play every Persona game (except 5, obviously)

Except for Innocent Sin as well, unless that got put back up recently

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Saagonsa posted:

Except for Innocent Sin as well, unless that got put back up recently

It was put back up recently, actually. Last week, I think.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was referring more to the vita only having access to P3P for Persona 3. It's the ultimate edition with characters & mechanics from the sequel inserted, but you lose the 3D game world outside of dungeons.

In other Atlus news, they aren't putting a huge delay on Conception II and will have it out in May in Europe. It may be a good sign for the Persona games coming out this fall.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Orgia Carnaval posted:

It's probably Adachi.

Holding out hope for P1 or P2 characters (Baufu or Katsuya)

(I know that the chance of that is less than one in a million)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It was put back up recently, actually. Last week, I think.

Oh, nice. Wasn't expecting them to actually do that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dehry posted:

In other Atlus news, they aren't putting a huge delay on Conception II and will have it out in May in Europe. It may be a good sign for the Persona games coming out this fall.

Oh, great. No problem getting goddamn Conception II out in a timely manner. Good to know it won't impact Etrian Odyssey Persona edition or Yu's Sweet Dancing Moves.

Still no mention of anything re:SMT IV though! :sigh:

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Dehry posted:

Conception II

I'd be interested in seeing a trip report if anyone buys this. I was able to enjoy Ar Tonelico despite the more ridiculous parts, and though the 3DS demo didn't impress me, I'm looking for an unbad portable game for after I finish Bravely Default. Already played EO4 and other Atlus games.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Mordecai posted:

I'd be interested in seeing a trip report if anyone buys this. I was able to enjoy Ar Tonelico despite the more ridiculous parts, and though the 3DS demo didn't impress me, I'm looking for an unbad portable game for after I finish Bravely Default. Already played EO4 and other Atlus games.

I bought it. You could always just play the demo (on either system) if you're curious. It's basically Pokemon/Persona, except your monsters are magical star babies that are born from matryoshka dolls.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

laplace posted:

Never forget google images backgrounds. Never forget double Chie.

I never watched the P4 series, but feel compelled to know more about double Chie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I never watched the P4 series, but feel compelled to know more about double Chie.

There is a scene where Chie is sitting outside and also sitting inside. I saw a screencap of it once.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Linked Cause Big

http://imgur.com/Cruryuc

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:lol:

Holy poo poo, I'm dying. How that got past them?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That adaption really seems like quality work.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
drat, SMT IV is really fun, and I'm glad that I bought it when it was on sale. I'm also glad they had the option to lower the difficulty, the initial difficulty was pretty frustrating and it gave me time to get used to how the system worked.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

During the TV airing 4-5 episodes in a row (6-11 iirc) had backgrounds that were literally just photos from google images as well. It was super obvious when they went to Junes and Dojima's office, which always were just real photos composited behind the animated characters. I think most of it was fixed in the bluray release but characters still look wonk/off model like 90% of the time in that and their heights change constantly. Kanji and Yukiko are the biggest offenders in that regard.

You think the Persona property would grant a higher animation budget but lolno.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Frankly, the Persona 4 anime wasn't the first offender in this regard.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Goes quite a bit deeper than that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

laplace posted:

You think the Persona property would grant a higher animation budget but lolno.

Why would you think that? Even the animated stuff in the games is off model.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Frankly, just about every anime ever made has off-model moments. P4's anime is a bit on the cheap side, so the off-model moments are more noticeable, but even super high-budget ones have their moments.

And then you get filler for shonen, where there's literally no budget because they're just trying to fill air time.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

PureRok posted:

I bought it. You could always just play the demo (on either system) if you're curious. It's basically Pokemon/Persona, except your monsters are magical star babies that are born from matryoshka dolls.

I was really unimpressed by the demo, almost entirely due to the dating system dialogue. It pretty openly plays to the jiggle fanservice crowd rather than Persona's more 'actually human' interpretations, and the positive choices are really confusing. Example:

F: "We should really re-introduce ourselves. I'm Fuuko, nice to meet you."
MC: "I'm MainCharacter, hello." (Chosen response)
F: "I hope we'll get along well!"

The dialogue ended there but the game told me she was upset with me now. Apparently the correct choice was "Thank you for being polite!" Because that was really obvious with how the dialogue was going.
Not to stray off into general Atlus game territory though. I wouldn't recommend it, at any rate.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They fixed a lot for the Bluray/DVD release. So much so that Yu and Dojima looked entirely different.

http://seventhstyle.com/2012/01/25/persona-4-blu-ray-facial-differences-compared/

I can't be bothered to upload it to imgur.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dojima looks like he gained ten years and a Vietnam deployment between the TV airing and the blu-ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Manatee Cannon posted:

Why would you think that? Even the animated stuff in the games is off model.

If you were to do an overall comparison the stuff in the game actually looks better than the poo poo in the TV show, so it somehow managed to degrade from my already-low expectations. Game anime cutscenes are generally less well animated than the full TV budget adaptations so really there is no excuse in this regard.