Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Rise would be such a lame inclusion, when you could have something like Adachi, any P2 character or even Raidou. It's just really reaching simply to put in a popular character. I can already see that it'll probably have something to do with a lousy tie-in to the loving rhythm dancing game. I just know it.

!With the power of DANCE, Rise has acquired a new stand! :shepicide:

Proto Cloud fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NTT posted:

I'm developing a real love-hate relationship with SMT IV. Being a Samurai was cool, but playing as Tetsuo to the soundtrack of Farcry 3: Blood Dragon for the last 5 hours has been some good poo poo. But why is the world map -so bad-? :psyduck:

Wait, what? Please tell me the soundtrack suddenly switches themes like this.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

Wait, what? Please tell me the soundtrack suddenly switches themes like this.

How far in are you? Because if you haven't reached a world map a whole lot of things in the game suddenly switch themes

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Man, I sure wish SMT4 would come out in PAL territories. It really sucks that everyone's talking about having played it ages ago.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Somehow I'm starting to think there is no Europe on Atlus's map. Just a big darkened square with TERRA INCOGNITA written on it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How far in are you? Because if you haven't reached a world map a whole lot of things in the game suddenly switch themes

Haven't played it, i'm in Europe and have managed to avoid almost everything about IV. I figured the music wouldn't change into funky techno though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Iceclaw posted:

Somehow I'm starting to think there is no Europe on Atlus's map. Just a big darkened square with TERRA INCOGNITA written on it.

There's a part in the game where Isabeau reads The Rose of Versailles and at one pint she says "The one I'm reading currently takes place in a fictional kingdom known as France."

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

Haven't played it, i'm in Europe and have managed to avoid almost everything about IV. I figured the music wouldn't change into funky techno though.

Ohh then yes it goes from Ye Olde Medieval themes to funky techno

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

The_Frag_Man posted:

Man, I sure wish SMT4 would come out in PAL territories. It really sucks that everyone's talking about having played it ages ago.

At this point I've pretty much given up and decided to just import a drat 3DS as soon as I can scratch the cash together.

In the end, it's cheaper anyway. Last time I checked, importing a 3DS XL and SMT4 costs less than just buying the handheld alone in a store in Europe.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Iceclaw posted:

Atlus is directly publishing Conception 2 in Europe, and it's coming out about a month after the NA release. Presumably there's some kind of contract bullshit or something in place, because (now) they seem to be able to publish on their own.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Dehry posted:

There's a part in the game where Isabeau reads The Rose of Versailles and at one pint she says "The one I'm reading currently takes place in a fictional kingdom known as France."

In fairness Mikado seems fairly cut off from the rest of the world; understandably given later plot developments.

Edit: I just fused a Mara, is this thing this phallic in every game? Good god. I'm sure there's a joke here I can involving antichton or its reflecting or absorbing everything. Oh, and it full restores after every fight.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Mara is a giant dick riding a chariot in every single iteration of the SMT games yes

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Trebuchet King posted:

In fairness Mikado seems fairly cut off from the rest of the world; understandably given later plot developments.

Edit: I just fused a Mara, is this thing this phallic in every game? Good god. I'm sure there's a joke here I can involving antichton or its reflecting or absorbing everything. Oh, and it full restores after every fight.

Atlus would never make such a childish joke!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am on the 6th day during Devil Survivor Overclocked and I was winding if there was any events I should try to do to make sure that I don't close myself out of any endings.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Artix posted:

Atlus is directly publishing Conception 2 in Europe, and it's coming out about a month after the NA release. Presumably there's some kind of contract bullshit or something in place, because (now) they seem to be able to publish on their own.

It's pretty definitely contract bullshit and probably relates to Index going bankrupt at exactly the wrong time for Europe to get SMTIV. I really doubt Atlus just personally hates every SMT fan in Europe.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

MarsDragon posted:

It's pretty definitely contract bullshit and probably relates to Index going bankrupt at exactly the wrong time for Europe to get SMTIV. I really doubt Atlus just personally hates every SMT fan in Europe.

Personally i don't doubt that at all.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

I am on the 6th day during Devil Survivor Overclocked and I was winding if there was any events I should try to do to make sure that I don't close myself out of any endings.

The big one is saving Haru. If you don't do that you get locked into the bad ending IIRC.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I bought SMT IV from the eShop, is that not available in Europe?

Also it feels spoilery for me to talk about the theme changes any more than what I said.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SMT4 isn't available at all in Europe.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

MarsDragon posted:

Remember, as the saying goes, "Atlus gets off on your tears". With the amount of time we've been waiting for SMT4, they'll never need to release another game. Not that they'd be physically able to.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Mara is a giant dick riding a chariot in every single iteration of the SMT games yes
Except in Nocturne, where it doesn't have the chariot for some reason.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
And in I, where the chariot was not around at all.

And in II, where its use of the chariot is determined by whether or not you are currently fighting against it. Boss-Mara has the chariot, summonable Mara doesn't.

And I don't think it had the chariot in If... either.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

AradoBalanga posted:

Except in Nocturne, where it doesn't have the chariot for some reason.

I think it's mentioned in one of the games that that was some kind of curse put on her by Seraph or something like that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

What was the Slime-Mara thing about? I've seen pics, but I don't remember that at all.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

What was the Slime-Mara thing about? I've seen pics, but I don't remember that at all.

A summoning ritual gone wrong, iirc.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It shows up in Nocturne where a bunch of manikins try to summon it, but gently caress up halfway through so it looks like a blob.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mordecai posted:

I'd be interested in seeing a trip report if anyone buys this. I was able to enjoy Ar Tonelico despite the more ridiculous parts, and though the 3DS demo didn't impress me, I'm looking for an unbad portable game for after I finish Bravely Default. Already played EO4 and other Atlus games.

It's not Persona.

If you can get past the harem military academy magical girl anime presentation, you're left with an interesting game. It might not be $40 good, but when it inevitably goes on sale in another month or so, it will be worth picking up(although you can get the free first month DLC off of PSN right now even if you don't own the game.)

The dungeons are a lot like Tartarus, except GG can't swing his weapon to try and get the advantage(it's pretty much random.) The battle system seems pretty interesting, characters can attack from a cardinal direction and you have to start getting creative with the weak points once you reach enemies that can't be downed in a single hit. Some attacks go at a 90 or 180 degree angle from the attacking character so it starts becoming a puzzle of sorts. Also, it appears there is some location based strategy as well. Enemies walk around on a grid in battle and can attack the adjacent circle facing it. Then there's an element system just to mix things up.

As far as the bonding portion of the game, it's a standard dating sim/visual novel choice system. It doesn't appear to be time limited so even though it seems to have a limit of 3 events between dungeons, you can go back to your dorm and rest granting 3 more attempts (there's an actual "progress story" button if you're worried about the season in the corner of the UI.) The heroines all have events where you then learn about their tragic past or daddy issues and help them get over it. If you somehow manage to pick the wrong choice and make them hate you, one more option down from rest is the load/save game button. Basically keep doing events until you start seeing them repeat several times. Once again, you're encountering anime tropes, so proceed with caution.

Classmating, despite how dirty it sounds is nothing more than holding hands although all the dialogue is the same as if they were having sex (they really play up that angle.) Seriously, the kids pop out of a matryoshka doll. As the heroines level up, you get to unlock more classes with different damage potential. Later on they add a mechanic called Trimating where you combine the powers of two girls to make a stronger star baby. When they reach their level cap, you can make them independent then they go into town and start stores or offer services.

The story is ok too, 20 years ago labyrinths with monsters started appearing, then chosen people 16-18 years old started getting powers to fight the monsters. Since they only have a short time before they lose their powers, the chosen are immediately conscripted into military academy to fight. However, their powers won't work in the labyrinths so it's a stalemate. The player character (God's Gift) comes along and has the power to operate within the labyrinths and has enough power to spare to bring in one other person and star children along.

Conception II's real stumbling block and the thing that turns a lot of people off is the presentation. As I mentioned before, it's a harem military academy magical girl anime game. Your overall goal is to ask a girl to the Star Festival, all the women are either busty or "look young for their age" and the men are all perverted. There are jiggle physics everywhere and during classmating you briefly see the girl naked (in a magical girl energy form.) The girls even do a magical girl transformation before going into the dungeon.

The music is good though. I can't get enough of the battle theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esxMagIo9-U

So really, underneath the skeevy stuff is a decent game, but at the end of the day It's not Persona

E: Also, if you're waiting for Mind Zero to scratch the Persona/SMT itch until fall, it's now $9 on Amazon Japan only a couple months after release so it might not be all that good to buy at launch either.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 18, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The first song involving SMT I ever heard was Nocturne's Fiend, and I think I read a Persona 4 comic by Hiimdaisy once, but SMT IV is really my first step into this franchise. What other games from this franchise should I look into playing? What part of these games stands out as what makes them great? I'm digging through some SMT OSTs right now, and I'm really quite impressed at how progressive a lot of this music is, or at least how well aimed the theming is on the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxY4a5Aqesw is this Johnny B. Goode? :3:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

NTT posted:

The first song involving SMT I ever heard was Nocturne's Fiend, and I think I read a Persona 4 comic by Hiimdaisy once, but SMT IV is really my first step into this franchise. What other games from this franchise should I look into playing? What part of these games stands out as what makes them great? I'm digging through some SMT OSTs right now, and I'm really quite impressed at how progressive a lot of this music is, or at least how well aimed the theming is on the music.

Persona 3, Persona 4, and Nocturne are kind of the big hits of the whole thing, if you want to start with the best.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I assume that that music and the Demon Fusion/gameplay is what makes SMT IV have lasting value? Because being treated to hours of romping around in TokyoI finally hit a few really tacky plot points and then it was just 'ok here's two extremes that both have clearly identifiable downsides, which one are you??????????????' and then your friends become the face of these general black/white concepts.

I find it hard to describe why I was enjoying the game less right after Reverse Hills...

It's kind of like how Star Wars Episodes 2 and 3 would have been much better movies had they just been 6 hours of Obi-wan and Anakin on cool missions doing Jedi things, instead of being force fed the "ok you've definitely had enough of this world building, here have shitloads of really bad plot".

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

NTT posted:

I assume that that music and the Demon Fusion/gameplay is what makes SMT IV have lasting value? Because being treated to hours of romping around in TokyoI finally hit a few really tacky plot points and then it was just 'ok here's two extremes that both have clearly identifiable downsides, which one are you??????????????' and then your friends become the face of these general black/white concepts.

I find it hard to describe why I was enjoying the game less right after Reverse Hills...

It's kind of like how Star Wars Episodes 2 and 3 would have been much better movies had they just been 6 hours of Obi-wan and Anakin on cool missions doing Jedi things, instead of being force fed the "ok you've definitely had enough of this world building, here have shitloads of really bad plot".

All mainline SMT games (and some non-mainlines like Majin Tensei II) have alignments/factions to choose. There's usually a bias for one route in them (tends to be Neutral) and usually has your friends become extremists of that alignment.

Honestly, I'd like it more if the Law/Chaos sides were shown a bit less extremely. It would make choosing harder and actually flesh out the alignments more than just "I LOVE YHVH" and "WORLD OF STRENGTH". :v:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

NTT posted:

P3&4 re the obvious ones (P3P and P4 Golden if you have a Vita, though the PS2 versions are perfectly fine too), but I'd recommend Digital Devil Saga 1&2. They were designed to be more forgiving to new players - case in point, in Nocturne, you have to plan your skill choices carefully, as once you get rid of a skill, you can't relearn it. The end result is, you can wind up crippling your character very easily. DDS, however, lets you swap skills in and out between battles with no consequence. It lets you get a feel for the series, has a good setting and has one of the best soundtracks in the franchise (seriously, the main battle theme in the second game is fantastic).

Also, check out the OST for Imagine, the now-dead MMO. The game had a lot of design problems, but the soundtrack was not one of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pswq-58Fys8

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 18, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Also, check out the OST for Imagine, the now-dead MMO. The game had a lot of design problems, but the soundtrack was not one of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pswq-58Fys8

Isn't that a remix of Lucifer's boss music from Nocturne?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Isn't that a remix of Lucifer's boss music from Nocturne.

Cast your mind back even further.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oh, huh. I never made it that far, I had the game bug out on me and I gave up. It was fun, though. If SMT1/2 English ever come to Android I'll play 'em again.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

NTT posted:

Raidou Kuzunoha: Devil Summoner. Everyone tends to recommend just playing the second game, but I say the first one is still worth playing, and it's the only one that's available on PSN at the moment.

Devil Summoner 2 does have some really neat sidequests though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Joshlemagne posted:

The big one is saving Haru. If you don't do that you get locked into the bad ending IIRC.

I managed to save her so that is good to hear. Out of curiosity is there anyway to block shield all or is it just a screw you move that you have to force your way through.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You mean, break through an enemy's Shield All? You can use other Almighty attacks such as Holy Dance for that. For Devil Survivor 1 pretty much everything eventually boils down to "get Holy Dance and Drain on every demon" by the end.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hunt11 posted:

I managed to save her so that is good to hear. Out of curiosity is there anyway to block shield all or is it just a screw you move that you have to force your way through.

I'm pretty sure that if you get the “Pierce” skill, your physical attacks should be able to get through. I don't think you can get it on your first playthrough, though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, Shield All doesn't affect Almighty stuff at all. Nor does it really matter against multiple damage spells like any elemental dances, since it only nullifies the first hit. Everything after it goes through like normal.