Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

One problem with a P4P: severe lack of dateable guys. Once you eliminate the ones with existing romantic entanglements and/or incompatible preferences, that leaves, what? Kou (boring) or Teddie (:gonk:)

Maybe they could give Funky Student a social link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Endorph posted:

Come on, don't you want to date Naoki?

I don't think anyone wants to do anything with Naoki.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

fount of knowledge posted:

Yeah, it feels like Overclocked has literally no reason to be a 3DS game. :shobon:

So what I'm getting from this is that a company that doesn't publish their games outside japan and north america decided to put this game on the only handheld that's region locked, and it doesn't even use that handheld's unique features? No reason it couldn't have been on DS?

Marvellous work, Atlus. Brilliant. :bravo:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I can't think of any feature that was missing in P4 and that people may want. Might be female route, but would they be cryptic with something so big?

A reroll button when fusing personas!

Man, when I woke up and found over 200 posts in this thread since last night I was pretty pumped, but I have zero interest in fighting games of any sort, so that and finding out that they're only just now starting development on P5 was a huge letdown. I thought one of the reasons behind Catherine was as a test-run for a current-gen engine they could then use for main-series games, but I guess that was just some wishful thinking fan theory? :smith:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

Interesting. It looks like some of the stages take are in a Limbo-like place between the real world and the TV world. They look like they're in Inaba, but the people in the background are just silhouettes.

Pay-per-view fighting tournaments, only on the Midnight Channel.

Sponsored by Junes

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I hope the simultaneous attack thing has been significantly reworked for this game. In P3P it was just like the followup attacks that P4 already has, but boring as poo poo because it was exactly the same for every character.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That deal seems to affect Japan only. So no, North America would still get the games published under Atlus USA while Europe just won't get the games at all unless someone feels like ponying up the cash for distribution rights in Europe.

gently caress. I really had my hopes up for a moment there. Having a big name publisher making a long-term commitment to releasing Atlus games in Europe would've been awesome, but no we still don't get nice things :argh:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I think a female MC option in P4 could be better than in 3, since there's at least two characters in 4 having issues with gender roles. Could've been an interesting contrast to see how their relationships differ with a change of MC gender. Kind of like how Yukari opened up way faster to female MC.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Get her social link to rank 10 to be able to choose which skills are carried over.

Social link becomes available at the end of December.

:toot:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yeah, the second time I played P4 I thought I could take the Contrarian King right after the first boss with my superior knowledge of the game's mechanics. I fused up a persona with physical resistance, cast Tarunda and Sukunda on the King, his Rampage still one-shot everyone including the MC. :stare:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Oh hey then you're the person to ask whether the game keeps getting harder after the bath house, because holy gently caress this is harder than anything in P3 was and I've gotten three or four gameovers on normal enemies

Which normal enemies? I know the bathhouse is where you start seeing enemies like the chained big cats and the mages with the hand-shaped cloaks, who have no elemental weakness and very high damage output, but they have a secret weakness. They're super-vulnerable to status effects. Like 99% chance of it working, even on things like "physical damage with a low chance of confusion."

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

On a first attempt you also have the fun of falling for his Red Wall bullshit and negating whatever damage you managed to do during the first three turns. I still remember how that made me yell at the screen. :allears:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I just went back and watched the original P4 opening again, just to make sure I wasn't remembering it as better than it actually was.

Nope, the new one just isn't as good, not even close. :(

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Katsudon posted:

Because she can do whatever the gently caress she wants now and not have to worry about being a woman holding her down.

I actually think it looks great and the character development it implies is nice. I still don't care for her character at all but I sincerely love this direction with her design, it makes me just wanna say "you go girl". I think I'm just a sucker for anything where a female character stops pretending to be a man and looks however the hell she wants. :3:

Well keep in mind this is a JRPG we're talking about, she could have hair like that and still be pretending to be a man. :v:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yyyyeah, what I remember from her s-link and christmas eve event was that acceptance of herself didn't mean she was going to start being "girly", that made her embarrassed and uncomfortable, so she was going to stick with what she was comfortable with, just not going so far as hiding her gender anymore.

But I guess she decided she'd rather be embarrassed and uncomfortable? Okay :rolleyes:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Having him be the killer would totally ruin the heartwarming resolution of his and Nanako's s-links, which I honestly thought were the best part of the game.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Don't worry though! Naoto's ridin' around with her motorcycle robot man boyfriend and you can read all about it!

All I can imagine when I read this is Naoto dating Johnny from Chrono Trigger

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Tithin Melias posted:

Those who are able to read Japanese, there's someone live streaming the golden at the minute Here.

Combat looks a lot more.. fluid and animated than the Ps2 version, and everyone's wearing slacks of some sort or another!

Wow, I'm at 1:14 (recording is here for anyone who missed the stream like me) and it looks like fusing has had a huge overhaul. I know no Japanese, but as far as I can tell it's a list of personas he can currently make on the left, and the required ingredients on the right? With multiple of each persona for all the different possible combinations. I think it's even showing ingredients that aren't currently in his party.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 17, 2012

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Catalina posted:

I was hoping/expecting that at least you'd be able to select the inherited skills,

Edit: ^^^ WELP I can't tell if this is the case or not because he backed out of the menu without fusing anything :argh: And also because I haven't played Devil Survivor due to not liking tactical RPGs. Did that game have those ability slots with the dashes and the red background when fusing something, and if so was that to show slots where you could pick the skills you wanted?

Also I think they've tweaked Yukiko's blushing portrait so it looks a little less like she's drunk now, so there's another improvement. :v:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

I don't know why anyone would ever use Chie even for physical damage anymore if these changes are accurate.

Galactic Punt. :smugteddie:

LightningKimba posted:

I found it funny that Yukiko even gets Mudo/Mudoon

"I'll crush you with one strike"

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Whoa, whoa, what?

That's Kanji?

Hahahaha, I've been thinking "Who's this new guy?" for the past couple of pages.

Kanji what the hell are you doing

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I think it's worth saving and checking out the bad ending just to see how depressing it is. Your last chance to save beforehand is pretty obvious, as it's one day during a set of exams where the game actually stops and allows you to save before going on to the next day.

But yeah, the only difference between the good and true endings is that the true ending has more stuff added on, so you don't miss anything by skipping the good end.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Momomo posted:

But they end up doing the same thing anyway by killing Izanami. How do they know there wasn't someone above her doing everything?

(P4 ending spoilers)The difference here is that Namatame isn't an evil goddess who is known to want to kill off humanity because of a grudge against her ex

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

I had forgotten this in all the P4A hype but ghost light never did get DDS out on PSN did they?

Good to see Atlus' international policy at work there. Top men.

They said on their blog that it was done and submitted to Sony for certification months ago, but they haven't heard anything back from them yet. So if anyone's loving up here it's Sony.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

At least Kanji's function as sunglasses, I guess.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Did we all imagine that PAL PSN thing for Digital Devil Saga 1/2 by the way?

According to Ghostlight's blog, they'd finished and submitted it to Sony, and all that was left was for it to make its way through the approval process.

That was back in April.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Rinkles posted:

So I'm the only one who thinks she's an improvement over the middle aged lady from before? (I eventually grew to like her voice, but it was always a bit jarring).

I really don't get where this "Chie sounds like like an old lady" thing keeps coming from, I just don't hear it. She was fine, the only bad part of her whole performance was "Aha, is this our chance"

This new one on the other hand is terrible. Like almost Star Ocean 4 levels of bad here, she sounds completely unnatural and forced. I don't think I could listen to this for a whole game. :stare:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Alteisen posted:

What was the most important stat in Persona 4? I was thinking academics and expression for the all important slinks that become unavailable.

Expression and Understanding for the Dojimas, aka the best S-links :colbert:

Knowledge for getting the best rewards from the exams. The one from the second set of exams (I think?) that gives +5 to all stats is like the equivalent of being 10 or more levels higher, it's pretty huge.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

How can you say you died because your persona was weak to the enemies' abilities, then complain there's no feedback about what you're doing wrong? :psyduck: Don't use a persona with that weakness in that area! Better still, go and fuse one that's resistant to what killed you. Elemental strengths and weaknesses are the major part of this game's combat, always be exploiting the enemy's weaknesses and trying to cover your own.

So long as you explore each floor thoroughly and don't avoid too many battles you shouldn't be underlevelled. What's more likely to happen is your personas are, they will fall behind you in level so you have to keep fusing new ones.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

dude789 posted:

I wonder how much they'll combine the elements from both games. Just imagine permadeath combined with SMT's instant death spells :unsmigghh:

If your party leader dies it's a game over, AND when you reload your save that character is permanently dead and you have to pick a new party leader :suicide:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

If someone does buy the IPs, please please please let it be someone who's able to publish the games in Europe by themselves. :pray:

Also hire all the Atlus staff because, y'know, that's important too

Except maybe that one guy who draws the weird-looking boobs, they can leave him behind

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

wiregrind posted:

For P5, I think they should follow the trend of making adaptative music, and, I don't know, blow everyones' minds with lyrics changing mid battle depending on what you're doing or something awesome like that.

They would need to have songs with understandable lyrics for this to work.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Speaking for myself, having the games be published by a company that knows Europe exists could well be a good thing.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

drat I am glad I wasn't awake to go through all that stuff in real time. It would've been excruciating to sit through announcements of three games I don't give a poo poo about, only for the payoff to be "Hey Persona 5 is still in the works! Here's zero new information about it!"

:negative:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I think it's a deliberate choice on Atlus' part to leave it ambiguous enough that you could interpret it as either sex or just making out, whichever you'd rather it be. That way they can attract that lucrative otaku creeper money without putting off the wider JRPG market. :v:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

So I'm guessing the dormant IPs are Sakura Wars, Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon, and Shenmue.

If it means getting a social link with Gilder then I'm all for it :swoon:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I hope they add a third Chie. You can never have too much Chie.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

So, considering that Strange Journey is the only non-Persona SMT game I've played, and I hated it because I thought demon negotiation was a bullshit unfun mechanic and the dungeons were terrible, is there much point to me trying Nocturne?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

kick_the_penguin posted:

Does anyone know if you can get Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne off PSN in Europe?

No, but there's nothing stopping you from making a new user account on your PS3 and a US PSN account to link it to, buying store credit from somewhere like amazon.com, buying the game and then playing it on your main account.

Edit: to buy from amazon.com you'll need to enter a valid US address as your billing address. If you don't want to do this/your bank raises a fuss about it or something then you can try a reseller like play-asia.com, but they tend to charge extra

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Butt Ghost posted:

Yuri is essentially Joeseph Joestar meets Dante from DMC

Goddamn, how have I not heard of this series before? I need to track these down :stare: