Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
LAPLNDR

This should be an interesting thread, looking forward to seeing the technical gubbins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

awesome-express posted:

My Dad just sold his WJ Jeep and bought a V40 diesel wagon, what's wrong with them?
He'll really get hung up on the trails, for starters.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, I'd suggest you invest in a winch, as when you get stuck, there's now a good chance it'll be pretty far out of reach of any of your friends' trucks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
PINZLOL
SIXPACK

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hah, while looking up some other stuff, I found that http://www.rcvperformance.com makes upgraded drivetrain components for these. Bit pricey, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Doccers posted:

License plate stuff: My Latin's a bit rusty as I haven't studied it since high school, but would "Quam Ego" be an acceptable license-plate-shorthand for Is est quam ego?

Because yeah Is est quam ego Volvo makes my inner nerd giggle.
My grammar's not good enough to say one way or the other, but that's loving gold. Better than my only other suggestion of"AWOLVO".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tindjin posted:

Very cool project. Not having a clue of latin other than various words I googled that saying. The only other instance of it that came up was this guy's posting on a volvo forum. http://www.c30world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13786

So what does that saying mean?
"Is Est Quam Ego (Volvo)"
"This is how I (roll)"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ahaha, yeah, had that one. And the "Check your monkey bastard hands didn't knock the connector off the terminal while you were working down there*" one.

I've also had the "Hmm, yeah, need to put some fuel in this thing", left the house, and then managed to make it a whole hundred yards down the road before running out. Like Smokey Yunick, only without remembering to fit the extra hose...

*That's what she said

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Doccers posted:

I think I'd go insane if I had to drive it all day at 55.
To be fair, though, it's not really built for that, and the considerations as to comfort when doing so can be filed under "Meh, it's just squaddies".

Concentrate on the fact you can pick a direction and head in a straight line toward it, at walking pace, with the terrain involved being a point of mild interest rather than concern.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tacotuesday posted:

Don't be ridiculous. You need an airbrushed "viking defeating a dragon with Ragnarok in the background", a la 70's stoner rape-van paint jobs. Who's going to criticize it?
"Free MREs inside".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's Swedish, it's meant to be a sauna.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
At least it's not Liberal Democrat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Doccers posted:

Just for that I'm going to paste a gigantic 'HOPE' poster along the back.

at least I could drive it in Boulder then...
I'm thinking more a big random splash of blue paint.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Doccers posted:

It appears now that about 80% of the noise I'm getting at speed is actually the mechanical fan linked to the engine. I'm looking into replacing it with an electrical fan for increased efficiency and lowered noise (mechanical fan is linked to the engine by means of a propshaft from the engine up to the front where the radiator is).
I often wondered if you could use an AC pump clutch to make an electrically-switched mechanical fan rather than having to use an electric one in these situations.

Either way, my opinion is that you should take advantage of changing the fan to give it a three-way switch at the same time - off for wading, running from a temperature sensor most of the time, and able to override it to stay on if you don't like what the temp gauge is doing when you're crawling or in traffic.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How do convoy lights work in other countries? You can easily spot ex-military Landies over here by their white diff cover on the rear axle - a small light on the underside illuminates it at night, so the guy immediately behind can see it, but no-one above or to the side (beyond a fairly narrow window) can.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LloydDobler posted:

Heh. The front wheel drive crew likes to haul rear end, so make sure you know where we're going in case you get left alone. Fortunately for the drive up, we're not actually leaving 285 as far as I know. We might take a twisty detour on the way down to piss off some cyclists.
I'm just imagining this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV65Z7p2Xy8

Edit: Actually, if you've got any 480s, they'd make a pretty sweet launch ramp for him.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 24, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Let's face it, the thing needs a Coffman starter :clint:.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:argh: Straight six, drat you!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Doccers posted:

Woop! Sorry, I don't know much about rovers. v:shobon:v
In that case, don't forget that the 4-pots didn't get the bigger brakes the six did, so be careful when you're ordering, in case the supplier doesn't realise there's a variety of 109" specs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It looks like they're threaded anyway, so if you determine what the thread is, you can just replace them with something you can get a connection for.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you intend to lift a 39" milspec tyre on rim up to that height? Lifting the 33" tyres on alloys I have onto my rear wheel carrier nearly kills me!
It's a military vehicle, so the correct answer is to say "Sergeant, that tyre needs to go on the back door"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd rig up something out a cheap knock-off Hi-Lift to act as a hoist to get it up there.

Also, seeing as you're making your own from scratch, why not have the wheel mount made from a spare hub assembly? That way you're always carrying a set of bearings etc with no storage penalty.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Some designs do take into account the fact you've got to shift these ridiculously heavy wheelsets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHerM9DvoXs

Tomarse, if you're not dead-set on 9.00x16 like the 101's meant to have, Fedima do a retread copy of the BFG KM2 in 35-10.50R16 for £120 or so. That's fairly close.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Scammells are dangerous things to talk about. Not in the sense of being unsafe, more in the sense that they cost less than a Fiesta, don't need MOT or Tax, and I can drive one on my regular 3500kg licence. My neighbours should be very glad I don't have room to park one. Or an Alvis Stalwart.

Military surplus is cool, but not something for people in 3-bed semis with too many cars already.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Wait what link right now buddy
The price is what I've seen them advertised at, ~£8k for something complete and working.

The other stuff is age related - MOT and tax is well-known, but less common knowledge is that a suitably aged vehicle (Pre 1960) can be driven on a normal car licence regardless of weight, as long as it is unladen and not towing anything. You can also drive steam-powered vehicles without restriction (eg traction engines).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't forget "trashing bits of drivetrain by using it on tarmac and getting wind-up".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, you've got to get to the quarries etc to go and play, right?

Oh, wait, the Grand Union Canal's only a few hundred yards away, problem solved!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Given what you (Kastein) use the truck for, a hiab would probably be a better option. If you bought a truck with one fitted, transferred it to yours, and then sold the truck on, you might be able to do it very cheaply indeed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm guessing a response truck is prime target for the combination of inactivity and a "Time to lean means time to clean" (thanks STR) attitude from a superior.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm going to gently caress everything up and say he should use polycarbonate sheet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Are collet chucks and taper-fit drills/reamers not a thing in the US?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Doccers posted:

They are, but not for lathes or drill presses typically. most often you see them on mills. and I have a large collection of both for mine. :)
Hmm, ok. I've kind of got used to collets on lathes, with a jaw chuck being something that's on one "jobbing" lathe in the corner, and larger-than-hobby-size drill presses being a taper. Of course, you usually can't be arsed, so the taper is holding a regular chuck, but it's the thought that counts I suppose.

Anything I'd have in my own workshop/garage would probably be a jaw chuck, though, just simpler.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Anybody lamenting your close 20,000 lb weight limit in the US spare a thought for those of us in the UK who are only allowed up to 2500kg GROSS weight (5500 lb). I had incredible amounts of pain trying to legally down-rate and drive an ex military truck plated at a mere 2649kg gross :(
Go classic. They hide it really well, but if you can get a copy of the government leaflet INF52, it incluses a list of where a regular category B licence allows you to drive bigger stuff, including this gem:

The Man posted:

Holders of a full category B (car) driving licence may drive any of the large vehicles listed below:
(L) vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer
So if you just want a toy, you can buy things like Scammell Explorers and drive them unladen without needing further qualification.

Or maybe you want to be really cheeky? How about you volunteer to teach kids some wholesome outdoor activities? Like heavy vehicle recovery?

The Man posted:

(Q) mobile project vehicles - having a maximum authorised mass exceeding 3.5 tonnes and constructed or adapted to carry not more than 8 persons in addition to the driver and carries principally goods or burden consisting of:

(i) play or educational equipment and articles required in connection with the use of such equipment, or:

(ii) articles required for the purposes of display or of an exhibition, and the primary purpose of which is used as a recreational, educational or instructional facility when stationary.
Buy Alvis Stalwart, fill cargo area with balls, it's now a mobile ballpit. That's recreational, that is.

I agree that the (ever increasing) restrictions are complete bollocks. I especially dislike that they can do you based on plated weight rather than actual weight, simply because they don't want the hassle of having to get you on a weighbridge. 500kg unladen trailer behind a Fiesta? Oh, wait, it's plated at 2 tonnes, you're loving nicked, sunshine. :jerkbag:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dreesemonkey posted:

Since we're sharing, this popped up on my local craigslist. If only I had money to burn.
http://williamsport.craigslist.org/cto/4202329738.html

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So I shouldn't post adverts for Stollies that are the same price as a used Citroen C1, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I can't help but feel any nickname for your missus that involves large units of mass will not end well for you.

"I saw at the bar, and I knew she was the one. She had style, y'know? Class. A great set of Rockwells."

• Locked thread