Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
For inexplicable reasons I love oversize military 6x6 and 8x8 trucks, especially obscure European ones, so this thing is awesome to me. Is it as painfully slow as I imagine it to be, with only 125 HP pushing it around? Still looks like a blast to drive! Also, I must ask, do people give way more readily when you drive something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Amazing! It sounds like you have the best girlfriend; Opels presage her arrival and she has machining skills; you sir are one lucky mother fucker. Can't wait for the road-test update, it looks like all sorts of crazy fun to drive!

Is that solid metal wheel as uncomfortable to hold as it looks? I've never understood the people who put massively inappropriate steering wheels in vehicles; things like those "links of chain" steering wheels, or the ubiquitous "Heavy-duty truck with tiny little race car wheel" as someone here did a thread about some months ago (a green Dodge, IIRC). Seems to fit in with a lot of other common car modifications like suspension cutting and so on; "Let's modify this car by making it worse!"

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

commissargribb posted:

Is it governed? Most US mil tactical vehicles are.

Ah, I was once party to a conversation about a Deuce-and-a-half that was too slow. Someone asked "Have you removed the governor yet?" -the answer came back "No, where is it?" "look under the accelerator. See that big metal bolt in the floor? Unscrew it and throw it away. You've just removed the governor." I believe in such a case you have to then be careful not to overspeed the engine, however, as that bolt also kept that from happening.

So assuming it's got a tach with an indicated redline, you should poke around for some sort of gimcrack mechanical governor that acts on the throttle linkages or the pedal itself. Of course adding an overdrive (one way or another) is probably the best solution.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Doccers posted:

Wiring is going to be the next fun joy, looks like someone rewired the brake lights at some point, without removing the original wiring, so there's some wires going nowhere from nowhere, and some wires going from SOMEWHERE to nowhere, going to need to print out the wiring diagram to make heads or tails of it. at least all the original volvo wiring is numbered!

Mystery wires are the best wires! Especially when you find that half of the factory wiring was cut for no reason and you hook it back up to be surprised to find that some broken thing you needed to look in to later now works and only failed due to some moron with a pair of diagonal cutters.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
No offense to my fellow Goons, but it seems to me that putting an evaporative cooler in a motor vehicle is a bloody stupid idea. I've known people who have them in their houses and the humidity they create makes everything rust, which is the last thing you want to invite in a car, zinc alloy bodywork or not. Real A/C is probably the best way to go here.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

commissargribb posted:

Mil vehicles in the US are supposed to run lights during the day too. Not that that really matters in this case...

Privately owned, or only in military service? I know military convoys always run with their lights on, but I would assume that's a military policy, like a trucking company doing the "Our lights are on for safety" bullshit.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Eh, hand crank all the way. Remember, thumbs OUT.

Nah, that needs an air start, like the truck from Mad Max 2. Something that crazy should make crazy noises as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Doccers posted:

... Ok, so thre ARE limits...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQGJITcCrXI&feature=youtu.be

Be mindful that you didn't pack snow up into some vital moving part and cause yourself to have an accident because all of a sudden you can't go left hard, or only half your brakes work or something. Your videos also have an added bonus; a couple clicks in to the suggested videos and you're looking at Russians trying to unstick a UAZ "Loaf of bread" from a muddy field and similar shenanigans.

• Locked thread