Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

evilalien posted:

Wow Kott is having a good day. He just tied the any% WR at 44:55 or beat it slightly (he definitely hit the split late).

So how/when do we know if that was the any% WR? Who judges this sort of thing? I just caught up with this thread in a few days and the whole speed running community is a bit new to me still. It's also pretty exciting that he was behind his PB for quite a while at the beginning and admitted to making a few mistakes near the end. With a near flawless run I could see him going as low as 44:50 someday.

I watched Werster's entire Pokémon Yellow WR earlier this morning. gently caress all the haters talking poo poo about his breathing at the end, how many world records have you scrubs set? :colbert:

Although going from Werster to Kottpower was pretty funny.

Werster: "One. Five. Five. Holy poo poo!!!!!!" :supaburn:
Kottpower: "Oh. I guess that WAS the world record." :geno:

EDIT: Another question...what is the significance of the chat spamming "D e e R F o r C e" when Samus takes off her Power Suit?

timp fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Another question: What's with the time discrepancies on the Speed Demos Archive? http://speeddemosarchive.com/SuperMetroid.html

I haven't watched these videos (one complete playthrough of Super Metroid is enough for me per day), but they list times much lower than the ones being touted on Twitch. What gives?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BlueArmyMan posted:

Come to cyghfer's for the MM2 speedruns, stay for the hot dog chat:

http://www.twitch.tv/cyghfer

Those Heatman and Airman stages. :stare:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

Just to make the people upset about this happy I'm going to host a marathon and all money will be given to a hitman instructed to keep me away from AGDQ '14.

INCENTIVE: Highest donator gets to choose method of assassination.

I'm liking that schedule for the most part. One of my all-time favorite games is Seiken Densetsu 3, but I certainly don't have it in me to watch 7 hours of it. Hell, I can hardly stand to play it myself for more than 2 hours at a time after all the all-night binges from my youth. I'm still curious how you'd go about speedrunning it, though, so I'll probably pop in periodically to see what they're accomplishing. Not to mention the co-op aspect should make it interesting.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

heeheex2 posted:

loving TheMexicanRunner just beat the Contra WR. God drat, congrats man.

Also this thread dies without drama so http://pastebin.com/ZNGia2H1 is a good pastebin

How broken do you have to be to get this upset over an off-handed comment on a stream? Jesus, talk about self esteem issues. I want to give this dweeb a wedgie.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I think you accidentally posted a list of every game ever made.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nibble posted:

I wish there were more games like that. That's why I love watching Super Metroid runs, there's plenty of sequence breaking involved but almost nothing really looks or feels like a glitch - more like someone is using the mechanics given to them with incredible skill.

SotN, by comparison, is a game I thought I'd like because of its general similarities to SM, but speedruns of it look nothing like a regular playthrough of the game. Constant backdashing and more outright glitches make it feel less "natural", if that makes sense.

I've really been enjoying cyghfer's Megaman Rockman 2 runs because they combine glitching with sheer precision-oriented straight gameplay. I'm sure a lot of games do that but MM2 is a really popular game that I've played many times, so I can really appreciate how tough the timing of the jumps are and whatnot. Plus he's so close to the WR!! I really hope I'm watching live when he finally gets it.

I also recently caught Calebhart42's 100% Megaman X (Rockman X?) run from the last AGDQ. I played the everloving poo poo out of that game when I was a kid. His run looked pretty flawless to me but apparently he was several minutes over WR, which amazes me. I'll have to check out the WR video of that sometime. EDIT for the link to Calebhart42's AGDQ run:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWJ72lGlHOM

Going off on a tangent here, but lately Calebhart42 has been doing "Dominos Medium Pizza Speedruns" and yes it's exactly what you're thinking of. His PB is 1:42. :stare:

timp fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 23, 2013

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vakal posted:

So it looks like the Ludendi guys are doing a post-Halloween marathon this weekend. I'm not sure the exact time it starts, but there are some pretty interesting games lined up on the schedule.

http://www.twitch.tv/ludendi

Where is the schedule and when does it start? I need the bibliography!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress is this game. :stare:

EDIT: nvm, read the text under the video

timp fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 9, 2013

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god, Calebhart42 was on track to beat his MMX record by a couple seconds, and right after saying "We got a WR run in the bag" he chokes and loses it. It was too funny to even care that he didn't beat WR.

http://www.twitch.tv/calebhart42

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dizz posted:

It just says "Dark Souls". What was it before?

E: I ask this and I realize a lot of people in chat are getting bans..

It was something like "Watch this stream if you want to see a WR" and I turned it on and he reset 30 seconds in so I stopped watching. Sounds like some more remove horror escapades, maybe?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Philip J Fry posted:

A cheering crowd of Blueglasses.

I just watched the highlight reel of SGDQ 13 this afternoon. Great vid, it's really nice having the best of the best distilled into a movie-length video, so props to AU for making that happen.

But man, Blueglass is just insufferable sometimes. The very definition of cringe-worthy. Is he well liked in the community or is my opinion closer to the general consensus?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

He's probably the most excited person in the entire speedrunning community about the marathons and tries his hardest to support every single speedrunner there was at the marathon. He's pretty socially awkward, yeah, but not in a negative way. I don't mind him too much anymore.

Cannot Find Server posted:

Blueglass is always thrilled, and he was present for almost every single runner both at AGDQ and SGDQ, even in runs where there were essentially no other people in the crowd. He owns.

I didn't think of it as "supporting" every runner by being there, that is a good point. To be fair it comes across as him having nowhere else to go or no one else to be with when you see him in the background of every single one.

Black August posted:

Blueglass has a laugh that sets my teeth on edge. He talks just one sentence too much. The very gyrations of his body make me shake my hands.

That said he should be there because he's loving happy and enthusiastic and a sweetheart. I want to throttle his goddamn noisy neck but he has every right to be there, and he runs Ecco the Dolphin which is a game I love. I can imagine his devotion and enthusiasm is infectious with other runners there, and that's a good thing. He really gives it his all and I admire that.

I can get behind this sentiment. His actions are admirable, but his face and sentences and laugh and very being and AAAUUUGGH :tizzy:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I just got around to watching the bloopers video and I've queued it up to the Mario Party 2 segment. Did anyone ever figure out the statistical probability of getting as far as they did in Bowser's Big Blast? I've never seen a round of that minigame last even close to that long.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

katkillad2 posted:

I think separating by console makes the most sense, obviously it gets a lot more complicated when you look at the PC though. I've been watching some guy speedrun mario golf and it looks like he's got the world record in the US, Japan and Euro versions. If you want to be king big dick of Mario 64 then get the WR in all versions and don't try to proclaim there is only one version and one way to play.

I think this is my favorite post on the subject. I understand that learning two versions of the same game can make an absolute world of difference in the way you run it, but come on. If your thing is "competitively speedrunning Super Mario 64" I expect you to be able to do it on any version. They're different, but it's not exactly apples and oranges. 99% of the skills needed to run one version are transferable to another.

I also like this post because it made me watch some Mario Golf speedruns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN28cLivpuc :psyduck:

Ramadu posted:

THat's cool. I have been getting increasingly disgusted by the amount of people who are begging for money. It reminds me a lot of how the SC2 community was at its height and it went balls deep trying to monetize everything and get as much out of the viewers as it could only to fall flat and die off as fast as it started leaving a lot of people with nothing. I just think the naked cash grabs that these streamers are doing is gross really. I swear there will be several thousand people at AGDQ based on the number of streams I see begging for money to go.

Most streamers I've seen have been really humble about people donating, and will outright discourage people from breaking their own bank to donate.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Elendil004 posted:

They're really running against the AGDQ bonus stream? That's kinda lovely, no?

He must mean Dec. 13-16 since he said a few weeks later

efb

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Alright, here's the plan. Gonna start up the stream in about 15 and will do a bit of Spelunky Death Roulette to give some of my usual late-arrivers time to get there. The actual replay will happen at around 11PM After that, the party will go until "question mark," so kick off your shoes, crack open a Beer Ice, and have a grand old time.

http://www.twitch.tv/thegreatgildersneeze

Just posting to say that I enjoyed your Demonhead highlights, even though I know nothing about the game itself. I hope that anyone out there can take a game they love and play it fast for others to enjoy. I'd never even heard of this game, but with someone explaining the mechanics and how difficult it is to do it's still very interesting!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Practising a game to the degree that speedrunners do to get extremely good at them will basically make you hate them at some point along the line. At that point, I suspect you keep going just out of habit.

This, unfortunately, is true for many things in life, not just speedrunning.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For my purposes the chat lag isn't that big of a deal. When a streamer comments on something I've said in chat I'm not thinking that it's been a long time since I typed it, I'm thinking this is the first chance they've had to glance over at chat without ruining their run.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just finished watching Caleb's sub 36 MMX run. Huge congratulations to him. My only regret is that I didn't see it live. Hard work pays off!

The most amazing part about it is that there were a few minor flubs in it, especially the first 4-5 stages. I'd say a 35:50 is possible, but I don't see it getting any lower than that without a crazy new strat coming along.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

E-Tap posted:

That's probably as likely as the Symphony of the Night meal ticket drop turning into a toadstool drop in the first 6 minutes of the game to maybe get somewhere a couple seconds faster. There's a couple slip-ups, sure, but his run had such ridiculous luck where he knows he's not gonna beat it until there's new strats. First try iceless, no dives from Storm Eagle, not getting hit in any Sigma stage to keep hadoken, landing a hadoken against Sting Chameleon refight, there's a lot of hurdles you have to jump over just to get a competitive run going even if you do everything perfectly.

Hey, I didn't say he should go for it. If I was Caleb I would never touch a MMX cartridge again in my life unless somebody beat that record. I'm just saying there was only about a total of 3 seconds lost in execution and for 36 minutes of playing that is incredible.

Elendil004 posted:

AGDQ 14 Promo Video is up. Something something hype something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmmnfVUJz28

drat, that WAS hype. I love the soundtrack!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dizz posted:

Does anyone know why they paused during the Yoshi's Island run and cleared out of the room?

I know of a thread you may enjoy
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599828

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

argondamn posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/calebhart42

Just got a 31:44 in MMX Any%. New WR.

I loving love Caleb. He sounds like an idiot on his stream right now but you deserve it when you hold a world record TWO world records. Is there anything this man CAN'T do?!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Dos posted:

Last SGDQ I got inspired to try and find something unique to start speedrunning, and I really liked the idea of playing The Sims 1 with the goal of getting a sim to the top of a career ladder. I messed around with it a bit and found some methods to greatly speed up the process (mainly abusing the tutorial), but never did a proper run.

Then this AGDQ happened and I got inspired to go back to it again. I recorded a run for 15 minutes before making a big mistake and deciding to kill it, but I've uploaded the 15 minutes as a proof of concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r4elTyH4qk

I think a full run with some good luck could possibly be under 30 minutes.

I've always found The Sims to be very funny and this run takes it to the next level. I like to imagine that you really could get to the top of your career if you immediately started practicing your public speaking in the mirror from the second you got home to the second you left for work the next morning. Same thing with making friends. Lonely? Just sell every piece of furniture you own, buy a hot tub, invite the first person to walk by your house to get into it, then trap them there and force them to converse with you for several hours while your husband passes out due to sleep deprivation on the carpet across the room!~ You'll be friends for life!!

Do you have a twitch account? I would watch The Sims speedruns live.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

UraniumAnchor posted:

Just in case you missed it from the other thread, there's a fair chunk of lower quality encodes available from AGDQ2014:

https://archive.org/details/AwesomeGamesDoneQuick2014

It's progressing a lot faster this time because the new recording method means 90% fewer overlays/deinterlacing in post, so not only is there a lot less grunt work (syncing up the overlays was a huge pain in the rear end and was the reason I had to crowdsource it at all) but the CPU time required is vastly improved. The downside: No separate audio track that contains only the game audio, but that was a pretty small number of people who wanted that, I think.

I might even be done before February at this rate.

Yes, very much appreciated. Trying to watch the Twitch archives is pretty much impossible with all the constant buffering, so I plan on catching all the highlight runs on archive.org. Is there going to be any bonus stream uploaded?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Heavy_D posted:

Cheers man, I did a bit of catchup on twitch but didn't catch Halo 2 or MGS as they appeared in the block that didn't encode to lower resolutions (obviously your Deus Ex run was must-see enough to work around this though!). Downloading them right away...

The Halo 2 run is one of the few I have been able to watch, MisterMonopoli uploaded it to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gSAI2mdwTc

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What is happening on Werster's stream right now? No game just what sounds like his mother going on some insane ramble

I don't know, it's really hard to understand her with the echo...but about 3,500 people are listening.

"What's your favorite movie? Godfather. Terminator. Sons of Anarchy" What the gently caress?!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kaschei posted:

Is it possible that, um, werstmom is replying to twitch chat questions?

He's offline now, but the few minutes I had it on chat was disabled.

This is a perfect time for :psyduck:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Brett824 posted:

A large portion of people who poo poo on Sonic 06's first (and usually only) exposure to it are LPs where the people playing the game are excruciatingly incompetent at videogames, in general. No one would defend the story to the game, obviously, but for being unfinished and rushed it's surprisingly fun to play and speedrun. Just because gamegrumps took several hours on an a pretty easy boss fight or Pokecapn + co. took an hour or whatever on an exceedingly simple ball pushing puzzle doesn't mean the game is actually that bad to play.

I dunno, man...no matter how good the game itself is, those constant load times are just unforgivable.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The 12 year old in me loves that there is a super competitive Goldeneye speedrunning community, and if you had asked me to invent a person who would be a part of that community, I would have invented RWhiteGoose. YEAH BABY!

Does anyone have the link of him freaking the gently caress out over one of his Goldeneye records from a few weeks before AGDQ? I think it was Runway...he's commentating the run right after he got the record, there's some bombastic music playing, and he's losing his poo poo. Sorry if that's vague but if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about. I looked around his Youtube channel last night and couldn't find it.

EDIT: Link below...

Dr. Stab posted:

That was Ryan Lockwood, not RWhiteGoose.

You're right, my mistake. Thanks for the clarification

timp fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 29, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Caleb Hart is on track to take back his Mega Man X any% WR!

EDIT: Ah poo poo it's dead. But if you're not watching Caleb Hart's X WR attempts you should consider it.

timp fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 30, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There's over 2,200 people watching Siglemic's stream. He's JUST now starting a Super Mario 64 120 star run.

http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

EDIT: When he got to Bowser his viewer count was 5,925. I think the most I've ever seen for a single speedrunner on their own channel before tonight was 1,200, tops. But then he died at Bowser and said "Hope you guys enjoyed my 119 star run" He went back and finished him off afterwards but he definitely put his controller down and declared the speedrun over at 119 stars. He's about to do a 70 star run next but no way I'm staying up for that.

timp fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 31, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sire Oblivion posted:

That's the power of Sig; he always gets stupid viewer counts because he doesn't have his chat moderated at all so people enjoy spamming typical Twitch bullshit in it. I believe "teh urn" and "is X a grill" and some other common-place chat spam originated with Sig.

Chat was obviously crowded, but I didn't notice too much Twitch chat bullshit. Sure, a few individuals here and there were spewing racist/sexist/homophobic garbage, but get together a group of 6,000 people anywhere and that's going to happen. I'd attribute the high viewer count to a mixture of: A) running a game that many people are very familiar with, B) Having some name recognition as a speedrunner, C) streaming at a time when a lot of runners were calling it a night and sending their viewers to raid someone, D) Coming back to stream after not streaming for a long time (since August? Maybe even a year? Not sure exactly how long it had been) and, most importantly, E) Dude's really loving good at Super Mario 64.

I was watching partially to see how high the viewer count would get, but mostly to see him blow through each stage's 100 coin star. It's really something else. I will say that he was being a bit of a prick, but I couldn't tell if that was because he was tired of answering the same questions over and over, or if that's just what being an "internet famous" speedrunner can do to you after a while. He was very arrogant, and while he probably deserves to be at his skill level, it's more enjoyable to me to see someone with god-like skills who's humble about it. Or maybe he's just actually a prick! :shrug:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sinister1's doing TMNT WR attempts. He's on track to beat the previous WR, but once again it comes down to Starbase.

http://www.twitch.tv/sinisterwon

EDIT: He got it! Congrats!

timp fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 3, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

heeheex2 posted:

sgdq submissions went up btw, i know none of you speedrun but it's good to know :^)

seriously though, there's some good submissions so far, obviously some unfortunate cuts (SSSV and Ty :( ) but overall it seems pretty good.

Link?

EDIT: I found it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Aj2eKeMxVzzzdF84YW1UTzVKekt6VGRpQUFBQnpULWc&gid=3

I'm kind of glad SSSV got cut. The reason it was cut, apparently, was because the runner gave an estimate of 2 hours and 45 minutes. Solidussoap and I have been constantly practicing, studying, and researching that game and Solidus has it down to 1 hour and 38 minutes for his WR. I'd rather Solidus submit it for AGDQ 2015 when we've really optimized and broken it, hopefully to sub 1:30, which seems possible even with the skips and tricks he's already discovered.

timp fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 3, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't look like there's any way to gauge what the commentary will be like with the current submission setup, either. A lot of games that truly suck and are boring can be made fun and/or interesting with some good commentary added in, and unfortunately vice versa.

Surely this could work to the benefit of a popular speedrunner, who may get an otherwise boring game accepted because Mike and romscout know him or her to be good at providing quality commentary...but of course it may end up working against a runner who is unknown that may have been able to provide good commentary as well.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Dos posted:

I finally finished a run of The Sims! It had some mistakes and wound up being just under 31 minutes. I lost more than 2 to a bad run at making friends so sub-30 is a reasonable estimate without great luck and play.

Still uploading on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-iMPDiewx8

Twitch:
http://www.twitch.tv/drdos0016/b/500827844

Nice! Congrats on your...world record, I guess? I'm assuming nobody's ever done that before that fast. It looks like sub :30 is definitely possible with some refined menu movement and all that.

I like the idea of this run, and I played the whole video, but I had to navigate away during the hot tub sequences and come back later. There's not much entertainment factor to a run like this, but I still respect the work you put into it and the (probably) WR that came from it, so good on you.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wa27 posted:

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at, or even if that page is sorted in ascending or descending order.

Bottom of the spreadsheet he linked, rightmost cell:

Technically not NSFW, but your coworkers may get the wrong idea...

EDIT: I was going to post anyways.

argondamn posted:

And Tiki is -10 on WR going into Sigma.

http://www.twitch.tv/tiki77747

E: 31:28

:stare:

That was insane. He got great luck on just about every boss and his execution and movement were really solid. I've probably seen Caleb Hart beat MMX at least 10 times so it was really cool to see another talented runner play it just slightly different...jumping a frame or two earlier here, dashing instead of walljumping here, and so on. Based on that run alone I'd have to say Tiki's movement tactics and stage select timing seem better overall, and coupled with the luck he got...drat. That's going to be a VERY hard WR to beat. Very impressive.

Congratulations to Tiki, but I'll still be pulling for Caleb to take it back.

timp fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 7, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

heeheex2 posted:

Peggle has RNG in the orange peg placement. It's way dumb

I have a doctorate in Peggle. I've been considering doing a Doctorate Segmented Speedrun. (Doctorate is clearing all 100 pegs of every level) I estimate it'd be several 10's of hours of play, but it's mostly just an excuse to replay the game like that since it was a fun challenge the first time.

Or I might scrap that and make an LP style video series instead, I don't know. Either way it's Peggle time again soon, I can feel it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Stivybobo's about 90 minutes into a potential Banjo-Kazooie 100% WR: http://www.twitch.tv/stivitybobo

EDIT: forgot to mention it's a 100% run

timp fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 1, 2014

• Locked thread