Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Fallout 1 is really good. I played it through for the first time two years ago and I also played through it a couple more times after that. I'm also playing through it once again right now.

I also want to start playing Fallout 2 now after never really giving it a fair chance. What are high-use skills that would benefit from being tagged? In FO1, I went with Small Guns, Speech, & Lockpick, but I'm not really getting much use out of Lockpick and would like to avoid tagging it in FO2 in case it isn't used much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Small Guns or Big Guns (bigs are a slight wait but not much if your fingers are sticky) and some mix of speech, science, repair, and doctor. There aren't a lot of checks for the last 3, but there's some pretty hard ones late in the game. Pretty much all other skills are for perk access only. Some unarmed can get you crazy bonuses if you aren't using Killap's patch.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 28, 2015

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Upmarket Mango posted:

Fallout 1 is really good. I played it through for the first time two years ago and I also played through it a couple more times after that. I'm also playing through it once again right now.

I also want to start playing Fallout 2 now after never really giving it a fair chance. What are high-use skills that would benefit from being tagged? In FO1, I went with Small Guns, Speech, & Lockpick, but I'm not really getting much use out of Lockpick and would like to avoid tagging it in FO2 in case it isn't used much.

I always pick Small Guns, Lockpick, and Speech in FO2. Lockpick does come in handy. I also take Small Frame as an optional trait for the AGI bonus. Agility = more turns in combat.

Never tagged the Doctor or First Aid skills.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I usually go with small guns, speech, and unarmed. Unarmed/melee suck rear end in F1, but are ridiculously powerful in F2. Even early on when you don't have a powerfist or anything, a solid shot to the dome or the groin will knock your opponent prone, letting you follow up with a death blow or give you time to focus on another enemy if you managed to knock them unconscious.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm a speech, small guns, and lockpick tagger as well. I feel lockpick is a worthwhile skill because none of the companions can assist you with it and there are certain quests and one particular area that needs it for access. Really high strength and attacking doors/chests directly can sometimes open things but it can't do it as reliably or stealthily as lockpick. Unlike FO1, small guns remain viable throughout the game and there's a really nice weapon that tears through poo poo in late game. You don't have to invest in the other weapon classes unless you feel like mixing it up. Speech is obviously key for quest resolution.

The other big skills IMHO opinion are doctor and science. They both are used as smarty pants options in some dialogues and quests, doctor is useful for personal healing as well and high science lets you recruit the best version of a certain NPC. There's an item and a perk you can gain in a city that will up your doctor skill. As for science, you can up it to the high 90s by buying science books alone before investing level up points in it.

Also keep in mind that drugs will increase stats and skills a certain amount to help you meet perk prerequisites, dialogues, and NPC recruitment. It's advisable to keep two doses of Mentats for this reason as they'll stack.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Awesome posts, dudes, really appreciate it. Looks like I will stick with the old Speech, Small Guns, and Lockpick trifecta as I like guns, quests, and getting into places.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Speech, Unarmed and Energy Weapons are my picks. Energy Weapons isn't as good as in Fallout 1, but I feel like you can get enough Small Guns from books and normal skill point adds to tide you through the early game, especially in conjunction with Unarmed. Big Guns would work equally well, and Small Guns isn't a bad choice either. However, Unarmed is just too good not to take in Fallout 2. The high end basic attacks let you ignore armor, and that's before we get into the silly stuff like being boxing champ in Vegas and kung fu champ in San Fran. The HtH Evade Perk + the top end power armor is as close as you'll ever be to truly invincible in Fallout 1 or 2. Gifted and Small Frame are basically automatic picks if we're optimizing Fallout 1 or 2.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS
Anyone ever done a 10 luck better crits stealth build? With 200+ stealth, unless enemies have 10 perception they can't see you unless you're 3-4 hexes away. Is stealth viable to be gamey in fo2?

I tried the build in a lovely online mmo fallout 2 clone and it was hilarious kicking people in the eyes when they couldn't see you. It got even funnier when you would trigger a super crit instakill someone as a naked stealth ninja.

Other fun was doing the same but instead with a minigun.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Booyah posted:

Anyone ever done a 10 luck better crits stealth build? With 200+ stealth, unless enemies have 10 perception they can't see you unless you're 3-4 hexes away. Is stealth viable to be gamey in fo2?

I tried the build in a lovely online mmo fallout 2 clone and it was hilarious kicking people in the eyes when they couldn't see you. It got even funnier when you would trigger a super crit instakill someone as a naked stealth ninja.

Other fun was doing the same but instead with a minigun.

Yeah stealth is very gamey but it's very quickly not f fun. On the other hand a 10 luck jinxed run is a real good time

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm going to do a replay of Fallout Tactics but I was wondering if there were any applications that could cap the framerate? I've tried DXtory and Nvidia Inspector/Control Panel and neither worked. I'd just like to not fry my GPU and also not run into random encounters on the world map every two steps because I'm 95% sure that is tied to your framerate.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
A little tip for Upmarket Mango even though this is a little late. My memory is a little fuzzy but the below should work:

You can game bonuses from books by increasing the difficulty and popping some Mentats before reading. Increasing the difficulty lowers all your skills, and you get more points when the skill is low. A higher INT gets you higher bonuses from books.

Also a nice touch in the game: check your clock after reading a book. Higher int characters take less time to read. I think it takes retarded characters an entire day.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Why is it seemingly impossible to get into San Fran and NCR? I have an old old install of FO2 and I'm not sure if it has this restoration patch but every time I go south of New Reno it's like every 2 steps I hit Enclave or aliens or floaters/centaurs and mutants. It's like an impassable hellscape. I remember it being wayyyy easier.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Slumpy posted:

Why is it seemingly impossible to get into San Fran and NCR? I have an old old install of FO2 and I'm not sure if it has this restoration patch but every time I go south of New Reno it's like every 2 steps I hit Enclave or aliens or floaters/centaurs and mutants. It's like an impassable hellscape. I remember it being wayyyy easier.

You're supposed to come in from the Broken Hills and all that poo poo south of Vault City. Coming in from Reno can put you into the No Man's Land that's there to discourage going straight from Arroyo to SF. IMO the restoration patch goes a bit too far in upping the encounter rate, as well.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

dis astranagant posted:

You're supposed to come in from the Broken Hills and all that poo poo south of Vault City. Coming in from Reno can put you into the No Man's Land that's there to discourage going straight from Arroyo to SF. IMO the restoration patch goes a bit too far in upping the encounter rate, as well.

What happens is that the encounter rate is tied to the CPU rate. Back in 98, CPUs weren't as fast, thus the encounter calculation was reasonable. I remember that I picked up the game back on 2000 and such when I already had a 1 GHz processor and the encounter rate was retardedly low, like you could go straight from Arroyo to Navarro and get 1 or 2 encounters. The Restoration patch included a fix for the excessively low encounter rate. The encounter rate is also tied to your outdoorsman skill and your luck stat. If your luck is really low, you can get some brutal encounters like Highwaymen vs Bandits vs Slavers vs Crazed ghouls. Those were the most profitable encounters in the game outside Enclave patrols but surviving was tricky as shooting at the wrong team at the wrong time could get you six attacks before your next turn came up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Is there any way to play Fallout 2 in a borderless fullscreen mode? There doesn't seem to be from what I've been searching, but I'd like to make sure.

e: Also having got the game from Gog, are there any fan patches I should especially get?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 12, 2015

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Genocyber posted:

Is there any way to play Fallout 2 in a borderless fullscreen mode? There doesn't seem to be from what I've been searching, but I'd like to make sure.

e: Also having got the game from Gog, are there any fan patches I should especially get?

I would get the Fallout 2 Restoration Project which is made by a fan, restoring a few things that were cut off when the game was released and also includes the best fan patch.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was trying to add some custom weapons to the quartermasters in the Fallout Tactics. I made the items, added them to the text files, did importing, but they don't show up. I also tried putting them on the maps themselves, but they don't actually appear. Can someone who knows give me a rundown of how to do it in a fool-proof manner, because the guides I'm looking at on places like NMA feel like they're assuming something I'm missing.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 26, 2015

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Lotish posted:

I was trying to add some custom weapons to the quartermasters in the Fallout Tactics. I made the items, added them to the text files, did importing, but they don't show up. I also tried putting them on the maps themselves, but they don't actually appear. Can someone who knows give me a rundown of how to do it in a fool-proof manner, because the guides I'm looking at on places like NMA feel like they're assuming something I'm missing.

Easiest way is to add them to Farsight or Stich's inventory in the editor and start a new game. I've tried to add them in through other means as well, but never figured out a way to make it work.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If I own the Steam version and not the GOG version am I hosed?

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

cheesetriangles posted:

If I own the Steam version and not the GOG version am I hosed?

Why would you be?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well it seems like Steam has some mods pre installed and I didn't know if I wouldn't be able to use the Fallout 2 Fixes pack with it.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

cheesetriangles posted:

Well it seems like Steam has some mods pre installed and I didn't know if I wouldn't be able to use the Fallout 2 Fixes pack with it.

Really? I have the GOG version myself, but I assumed the Steam version would be the same thing - where are you seeing these mods? Even so, if you already have the game, no harm in trying to install the fixpacks on it, money's already spent.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Ah after looking at it just appears to the high resolution patch is all that is installed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Baggins posted:

Easiest way is to add them to Farsight or Stich's inventory in the editor and start a new game. I've tried to add them in through other means as well, but never figured out a way to make it work.

Thanks. That got the item to show up, but somehow in my fumbling earlier I broke the world map. :shrug:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I'm on my first Fallout 2 run through, and I'm trying to get through with as few spoilers as possible. It's been hard; Fallout 2 is such a ridiculous expansive game and it feels like there's millions of things I'm missing. I haven't even really thoroughly explored all the places I've been yet. It just seems overwhelming at points.

Anyway. I have enough information to know I need to help the punks on the Valdez. I got Carl's quest, but waited too long, and now he's gone. And Marc just belches at me and won't give me his quest. Am I screwed? Is there any other way to get where I need to go?

EDIT: If you answer, try not to be super spoilery.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 24, 2015

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

horse mans posted:

I'm on my first Fallout 2 run through, and I'm trying to get through with as few spoilers as possible. It's been hard; Fallout 2 is such a ridiculous expansive game and it feels like there's millions of things I'm missing. I haven't even really thoroughly explored all the places I've been yet. It just seems overwhelming at points.

Anyway. I have enough information to know I need to help the punks on the Valdez. I got Carl's quest, but waited too long, and now he's gone. And Marc just belches at me and won't give me his quest. Am I screwed? Is there any other way to get where I need to go?

I'm pretty sure there's no way to completely lock yourself out of finishing the main questline (apart from maybe intentionally murdering obviously important people).

VVV Oh yeah, it's been so long since I played that I'd forgotten that Fallout 2 doesn't have undroppable quest items.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 24, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I almost locked myself out of completing the main story when I forgot I picked up the fob key for the ship and thought I might have sold it. That would have been my own fault though since who sells an obviously one of a kind item in an RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

horse mans posted:

Go down into the holds and kill anything that isn't human. Save whoever needs saving, then talk to the people topside.

• Locked thread