Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are also some bullets in a desk on the first level of the mines below Trapper Town, just by the entrance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Ugh. gently caress those god drat robots in tactics. gently caress them right in the rear end. The whole game goes from challenging but fun to absurdly difficult right when you start fighting those bastards. Its been a while since I played im kinda in the mood to play through it again. Are they any good mods or patches for it floating around?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chainsawdomy posted:

"Quick Draw" might actually be more accurate for me. I tend to take Fast Shot and Gifted (does anyone not take Gifted?), followed up with Action Boys and Bonus Rate of Fire. The ultimate expression of this build was my first Fallout Tactics protagonist, who could fire the Gauss pistol ten times and reload every turn.

I take one hander a lot. It makes the early game quite a bit easier and it's not like I really need the extra points if I plan ahead. Unless I'm going big guns or really get a boner for rifles, there's not much drawback to it.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Something in the Mib88 Megamod does this, I believe, because I'm sucking dick for nickels. Also, it (lamely, some might think) modifies drops so that you can't loot weapons off of every person you kill. Unrealistic? Hell yes. But it seems to balance the game quite well...so far, at least.

Just pretend that in the fight with the enemy, you damaged their weapaon/items beyond repair/worth so there is no reason to loot it... There you go, it all makes sense now, immersion not ruined.

Cephalectomy posted:

Its been a while since I played im kinda in the mood to play through it again. Are they any good mods or patches for it floating around?

I don't think there was any unofficial patches or anything. A WW2 Mod I remember, but it was a multiplayer thing, and it was hard getting enough people into games for that mod back in the day, let alone today. The mod was pretty awsome and I probably have a copy somewhere. But you need at least 4 people for it really. Try:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/fallout_series/fallout_tactics_mods

Nothing really that special there though.

Reb fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 11, 2011

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Cephalectomy posted:

Ugh. gently caress those god drat robots in tactics. gently caress them right in the rear end. The whole game goes from challenging but fun to absurdly difficult right when you start fighting those bastards. Its been a while since I played im kinda in the mood to play through it again. Are they any good mods or patches for it floating around?

Use 12 gauge slugs on robots, and always aim for the optics. EMP shells work amazingly well on them, too, and torso hits will almost always 1 or 2 shot lesser bots. You should also have at least a couple M2 machine guns from the Super Mutant levels; Depleted Uranium .50 caliber bursts will tear up some serious robot rear end. Two guys with M2's opening up on behemoths or pacification bots will turn them into scrap in no time, but I wouldn't waste .50 rounds on average bots.

Also once you acquire the pulse rifle and gauss weaponry, robots are just another enemy to kill. There's some late game rocket/50cal turrets that have more than enough ammo to last you the rest of the game...if you can carry it all.

Buffout, woo :catdrugs:

Seriously, use chems, and use them often

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Fallout franchise rule number one: Chems solve everything all the time anywhere

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

VisAbsoluta posted:

Fallout franchise rule number one: Chems solve everything all the time anywhere

They really, really do. Even addiction problems!

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Failing that, go to that farm on the outskirts of the Den (the one that gets attacked by Slavers shortly after you show up.) Don't participate in the firefight, just loot the bodies afterwards.

Wait, what?! Was this added back in? I don't remember it at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I thought it was explained away by having the Enclave and specifically Dr. Schreber experiment on Deathclaws which could make them talk, or something?

Any Deathclaw can learn how to talk actually which I thought was pretty cool. They don't have vocal chords but are intelligent enough to manipulate the sounds they do make into resembling human speech like a parrot or raven.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
http://www.moddb.com/mods/wasteland-merc-2

This is a link for the wasteland merc mod for fallout 2. I havent played it very much but from what I gather it turns it into kind of a survival type sim, or at least attempts to. Probably not everyones cup of tea but I found my old zips of it while looking through my old fallout mods directory i backed up and figured it throw it out there for everyone.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Beat Fallout 1 with FIXIT, worked great, being able to put Ian in power armor and pick up dropped weapons was great. Oddly though, Tycho appeared to have been erased from existence, is that a bug or some strange, NMAborn "feature"?

Anyway it's nice to have all the restoration fixes without the mutant invasion bullshit.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to play the Megamod, but it crashes the moment I enter the temple of trials if I just have megamod in. Before that I had a number of other mods installed on top of Megamod (Party Perks, Death Art Inv Fix, Lootable Armor, Custom Skill Books Megamod Version, and Weapon Ugrades), and managed to go inside just fine but when I got to the warrior at the end all his dialogue just said "error."

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

For some reason using the Fallout HD mod makes my game unable to start on any resolution other than the norm. Anyone know how to fix this?

Alternatively, is there any way to play this in windowed mode?

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Why is it that even when unarmed, the NCR will still murder me for holding a weapon?

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009
If you have any armed followers you'll have to tell them to put their weapons away, too.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
And leave those who can't unequip their claws outside the gates.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Atheris posted:

If you have any armed followers you'll have to tell them to put their weapons away, too.

Ah, it seemed Vic had decided to equip himself with a rifle while I wasn't looking. :sweatdrop:

It feels like I have so much stuff, not even merchants can buy it off me. I have to go from town to town just to sell off my extra inventory.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

HoldYourFire posted:

Wait, what?! Was this added back in? I don't remember it at all.

Yeah, there are three small locations on the outskirts of the Den, one of which you'll typically pass by on the way to Den. So of course you're going to stop and see what's up.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
This thread made be buy Fallout Tactics. I played the demo over ten years ago. Fun game so far. It makes me wish they'd used the improved engine for a new full-fledged Fallout game, though.

El Belmondo posted:

It feels like I have so much stuff, not even merchants can buy it off me. I have to go from town to town just to sell off my extra inventory.

That's a good thing. It means you can probably butcher most encounters.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, there are three small locations on the outskirts of the Den, one of which you'll typically pass by on the way to Den. So of course you're going to stop and see what's up.

This isn't in the vanilla game, you have to have modded something for that to show up.

e.

Derp, I can read to the top of the page, honest

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 11, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Minarchist posted:

This isn't in the vanilla game, you have to have modded something for that to show up.

Mib88 Megamod Version 2.44

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
I really wish we had ended up getting Tactics 2.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think Tactics was a fine game but it's just... I dunno, it felt kinda pointless to me to play it because Jagged Alliance 2 was the same type of game except so much better. The setting of Fallout could've been a pull but it was kinda all over the place so there wasn't a whole lot of fun to be had there either. It's just sorta forgettable I think.

The engine did look quite nice though.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Tactics was pretty fun imo. I loved FO1&2 and was miffed at this spin-off of the BoS but it was pretty sweet for what it was. The mission where you first get the humvee was super fun; I had my dudes just slowly advance behind the humvee while another would scout out the buildings ahead and jump the snipers while the humvee advanced.

Multiplayer was fun too, though they totally hosed up by letting points be assigned for multiplayer per squad rather than per unit with a seperate setting for number of units per squad. To explain: Let's say you were playing 10K Points Multiplayer. This meant every player had 10K points to buy stuff for their squad. Now, you could make a squad of 6 decent troops, or you could sink 10K points into a single super mutant who carries a .50cal MG firing DU shells while doped up on every powerful chem and puts giant holes into everything while being impervious to virtually everything except another super mutant who could maybe survive long enough to return fire. Multiplayer got really stale really fast because it became a battle of individual super-soldiers. I think they finally patched it, but only after the community was totally dead.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Leinadi posted:

I think Tactics was a fine game but it's just... I dunno, it felt kinda pointless to me to play it because Jagged Alliance 2 was the same type of game except so much better. The setting of Fallout could've been a pull but it was kinda all over the place so there wasn't a whole lot of fun to be had there either. It's just sorta forgettable I think.

Shiiiit...a Jagged Alliance-style Fallout game...why have you led me to dream this impossible dream? :(

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
How do I actually successfully play this game? The first time I played Fallout 1 I was at the necropolis then I got teleported to the super mutant vault with a bunch of hostile super mutants with miniguns tearing me up, and I was at a low low level.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Honestly? Following a walkthrough, especially for early into the game is really advisable. I think once you get on your feet so to speak, you should be able to play without a walkthrough.

I personally feel no shame in using one for these games as they are really unclear and you can easily miss out on a lot of quests.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Brace posted:

How do I actually successfully play this game? The first time I played Fallout 1 I was at the necropolis then I got teleported to the super mutant vault with a bunch of hostile super mutants with miniguns tearing me up, and I was at a low low level.

Read the lp at lparchive.com for a general overview of a good order to take things in. In short, I believe you need to reason with the super mutant at Necropolis, lest he take you to the vats.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
In Fallout 2 is there any way to exchange places with your party members or anything? Vic keeps getting me permanently stuck in narrow hallways and small rooms and such.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We played a lot of Tactics multiplayer in college. You had to set house rules to make it fun. A whole slew of weapons were just banned outright (like Pancor Jackhammers with flechettes), which fixed the majority of the problems.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As someone who played Fallout 1 + 2 for the first time after playing through 3, one thing that really surprised me about 1 + 2 was how little actual survival element there was. Judging from how much people complained about Fallout 3 I was expecting something between S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Robinson's Requiem but aside from taking a few Rad-Aways before entering The Glow and healing the odd crippled limb there wasn't really any sort of survival stuff.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
What kind of tag skills should I be selecting and what should I be alotting points into upon level-up? I'm going to be a shooter, but from what I hear you need to put points into all 3 gun skills as the game goes on.. so I'm pretty lost right now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

In Fallout 2 is there any way to exchange places with your party members or anything? Vic keeps getting me permanently stuck in narrow hallways and small rooms and such.

hold click on Vic and use the icon that looks like a pushing hand.

fyi this was not there in Fallout 1. fun way for a game-over

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Brace posted:

What kind of tag skills should I be selecting and what should I be alotting points into upon level-up? I'm going to be a shooter, but from what I hear you need to put points into all 3 gun skills as the game goes on.. so I'm pretty lost right now.

Almost everyone will tell you that the best tag skills are Small Guns (unless you're doing dedicated melee), Lockpick (maybe Science), and Speech (unless you are doing a stupid run). You can tag an extra skill (likely Energy Weapons) with a perk once you level up.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Almost everyone will tell you that the best tag skills are Small Guns (unless you're doing dedicated melee), Lockpick (maybe Science), and Speech (unless you are doing a stupid run). You can tag an extra skill (likely Energy Weapons) with a perk once you level up.

What about traits?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Brace posted:

What about traits?

Gifted is not only good, but borderline game-breaking, because you can reassign the SPECIAL bonuses it gives wherever you want. If you don't mind not being able to make targeted shots, take Fast Shot, otherwise, Finesse is a good option.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Brace posted:

What about traits?

Gifted. That's the one you'll always want to take. I usually take Finesse as well.

Edit: Had a feeling I was going to be beaten on that one.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Gifted + Jinxed with max luck :smug:

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

S.T.C.A. posted:

Multiplayer was fun too, though they totally hosed up by letting points be assigned for multiplayer per squad rather than per unit with a seperate setting for number of units per squad. To explain: Let's say you were playing 10K Points Multiplayer. This meant every player had 10K points to buy stuff for their squad. Now, you could make a squad of 6 decent troops, or you could sink 10K points into a single super mutant who carries a .50cal MG firing DU shells while doped up on every powerful chem and puts giant holes into everything while being impervious to virtually everything except another super mutant who could maybe survive long enough to return fire. Multiplayer got really stale really fast because it became a battle of individual super-soldiers. I think they finally patched it, but only after the community was totally dead.

I could have sworn you could limit characters to certain points. Like you can have 6 characters, but each one only gets 2k points to spend. Because that's how the WW2 mod worked. Either way 10k games with 1 player were retarded with everyone getting al these good items a bunch of drugs using drugs at the start of the game, running to each other and pretty much from there it was all luck...

2k games were much more fun, with limited levels, items, skills etc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Gifted is not only good, but borderline game-breaking, because you can reassign the SPECIAL bonuses it gives wherever you want. If you don't mind not being able to make targeted shots, take Fast Shot, otherwise, Finesse is a good option.

Finesse is terrible, especially early on (-30% damage before DT for a 10% increase in crits). One hander is great unless you're dead set on using rifles and big guns. In the first game you really don't care about anything beyond the .223 pistol, ripper and power fist and they're all one handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Reb posted:

2k games were much more fun, with limited levels, items, skills etc.

Or a game where the only permitted items are rotgut, broken bottles, and lead pipes.

• Locked thread