Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Mr Cynicism posted:

Thanks! Why does wearing a leather jacket give me that option?

Have you ever tried intimidating someone without wearing a leather jacket? poo poo's ridiculous.

Edit: Should make you wield the Louisville Slugger too, except that's only in FO2 I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What are Deathclaws, anyway? I mean I've played both games to completion so I know what they look like and all, but where did they come from? I swear I remember them being mutated chickens or something.

Also I don't see what's wrong with talking Deathclaws, even in FO1 they are recognised as being extremely intelligent.

Edit: Never mind, I looked it up. Apparently they're "Jackson's Chameleon".

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

On the flipside, remember fallout one had psychic powers? That was dumb and kinda just never happened again.

Fallout 2 had a ghost.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Failing that, go to that farm on the outskirts of the Den (the one that gets attacked by Slavers shortly after you show up.) Don't participate in the firefight, just loot the bodies afterwards.

Wait, what?! Was this added back in? I don't remember it at all.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I seem to recall Vic being pretty competent with a hunting rifle. It caters to his pondering slowness, but gives him a little more reach and power than a 10mm pistol. That being said, if you're running into random encounters where hostiles outnumber you 2 to 1, it might behoove you to flee. Also, having a decent outdoorsman skill can help avoiding random encounters altogether.

EDIT: Get better armor, too. Leather Jackets don't provide much protection against armed NPCs.

If you want to cheat random encounters, spam "a" (start combat) as soon as you see the lightning bolt. If you're the first one to open combat, it'll end as soon as your first turn ends (as long as your NPC buddies don't shoot anyone, I think). It's conceivably possible to start spamming "a" again so that when combat ends, you start it again and get another turn. Note that you can only use this to run away, if you attack someone they'll "notice" you and the game will start giving them their turns.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

e: it's worth noting that Finesse becomes useless if you pick up Sniper, but a) i don't tend to level that high anyway, and b) you can always Mutate it out for Fast Shot just beforehand.

Wouldn't Fast Shot make Sniper worthless, though?

Edit: OK, I thought Sniper was "aimed shots always crit" for some reason.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 12, 2011

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Interesting enough story I guess :geno:

That's aimed at the author, not you, Rupert Buttermilk. Thanks for posting it :shobon:

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

My favorite was the response when the guard outside the Navarro commander's room explains the janitor schedule, and you immediately start a new conversation claiming to be the janitor.

And he tells you the janitor's not due for an hour, so you rest for one hour right in front of him.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Regretting installing the Fallout 2 Restoration Patch a little bit, now. What the gently caress is this Kaga poo poo? He has like a thousand hit points. Two 40+ critical hits to the eyes with a hunting rifle didn't do poo poo.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

eating only apples posted:

Killian survived the assassination attempt but won't talk to me about it and hasn't asked me to get Gizmo's confession.

You need to get a hit in on the assassin for Killian to ask for your help.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

How do I get to the EPA in the FO2 Restoration patch?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Anatharon posted:

Great, thanks! :)

Also, a Fallout 1 story question. Why exactly did the Super Mutants want to wipe out Vault 13 so much?

Because the vault dwellers were much less afflicted by radiation than everyone else, making them "prime normals" for conversion.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I found this by accident. I think you need to get Myron in your party and threaten to kick him out. He'll tell you about a building overgrown with carnivorous plants and the EPA will appear on your map. You can kick him out right after he tells you about it and still go there (because gently caress that sleazy little twerp).

I killed him ages ago :negative:

Edit: Not that it matters because I save obsessively and I already had Adv. Power Armour and Gauss Rifle by then.

Edit2: And I've already found two Red Dwarf references in the EPA.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 2, 2011

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Anatharon posted:

I'm trying to find Navarro, and am not having much luck. I thought it was directly south of Arroyo, but I can't find it.

I think it's directly on the coast.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Why did you pick Earlier Sequence and Educated :negative:

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

closeted republican posted:

It may not be fun, but it is funny.

According to the Nearly Ultimate Guide you can do the same thing in San Fran. Throw a plant spike at one of the dockworkers before you leave for the Enclave and you get the "Demoralised and leaderless after your rampage through their town" ending.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

Short answer no, long answer yes with a but.

Well gee thanks Reverend Lovejoy :colbert:

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Smol posted:

Fallout 2 is a lot harder too (for example, good luck trying to get into Vault City without reloads)

Edit: Never mind.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 14, 2011

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

I was thinking about a "Non-sequence break" speedrun of Fallout 2. I tested it as well.

Tag Speech, Small Guns, Lockpick.
1) Go to Klamath, get location for The Den.
2) Go to the Den, get Lara's mission to find out what's in the church. Optionally bluff your way in for 700xp, or just talk to Joey the punk for the location of New Reno.
3) Go to New Reno but stop when you get to Redding.
4) You should have arrived on whatever day the NCR caravan leaves, take it.
5) Do the Vault 15 quest by talking your way past everyone.
6) Go to Vault 13, steal the GECK and NavCom parts, talk to Goris for location of military base.
7) Outside Military Base, grab Survey Map to San Fran, go there
8) Talk to Matt and do Navarro. Use the central computer then requisition the tanker FOB.
9) Rescue Badger's girlfriend using a combat shotgun or something (this is ideally your first combat) and ask him to steal fuel.
10) Talk your way onto the Shi Submarine if you have that mod installed.
11) Do the Enclave.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Aratoeldar posted:

Can you affect Fallout 2's world after the final boss?

I don't really get the question. Can you keep playing? Yes.

Edit: But if you got the "X group thrives" ending and then slaughter them all it's not like it changes the ending, except in your head.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Whether you should prefer Action Boy or Bonus Rate of Fire really depends on circumstances. Let's say you have 9 AP and it currently costs you 4AP to fire your gun. Obviously you would prefer BRoF because it increases your potential shots per turn from two to three. If you think about it, AB is increasing your "effective time" by 11%, whereas BRoF is increasing it by 25%. But this only applies to time you spend shooting. If you only fire once per turn no matter what, then the two would be equivalent because you'd gain 1AP in either case.

I think Action Boy gives you one extra AP per level (of the perk, obviously not character level or that would be ludicrously broken), but in Fallout 1 it might be two, I'm not sure. Actually I think you just get access to the perk earlier in Fallout 1.

I should think BBs would be available in The Hub, have you tried the "Guns" shop (run by Beth??)

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Miss Hime posted:

:aaaaa: Well that should solve my problem.

I'm going around Necropolis at the moment but some of the ghouls attacked me and I ended up killing them. Is that going to have any consequences later?

Also I popped into Junktown. I killed Gizmo straight away because he attacked me after I refused to kill Killian but then everyone got pissed off with me because I was supposed to get evidence of him being a bad dude. Is it not evidence enough that he straight up asked me to murder someone and then tried to kill me when I refused? Shesh lol. Now Lars just tells me to get out of town. Well screw you guys for taking out the bad guy!

I've got multiple save files at the moment so it's not too much hassle to reload but just wanted to make sure I'm not screwing myself over too badly. I kind of like the fact that I seem to be running into town completely oblivious to everything and just trying to 'fix' things in my own way, which at the moment has resulted in mostly me screwing up more.

Also not sure what the spoiler policy is in this thread given the age of the game but if anything needs spoilering just yell.

I wouldn't say you've screwed anything. In fact I accidentally did the same thing in Junktown by killing all the Skulz on my own initiative.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Daionus the 23rd posted:

I'm stuck again. I'm supposed to kill the Super Mutants. I kill Harry, Larry, those three mutants, and the one in the little building. Are there any more? Have I encountered a glitch? Is that it?

Those are merely the scouts for a whole army.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

khwarezm posted:

I'm in a bind. I've reached the military base in Fallout 1, but these yellow force fields are causing me real problems, on level three it seems as though the terminals to turn off the field near the elevator that brings me down to level 4 is behind the forcefield, so I cant actually reach it to turn off the field and move on! What should I do?

Apparently there's a computer on Level 1 called Forcefield control. If you use a radio on it and pass a repair check, you can use the same radio to disable the emitters. Or you can use repair skill or explosives to turn them off.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Would anyone know why the game (fallout 1) would crash in the world map while traveling to the hub or anything south of sandy town? This is running the FIXT mod.

Are you getting some kind of broken encounter, perhaps? From the area it could be raiders, I suppose.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

White Phosphorus posted:

Does anybody have any experience with the restoration patch in FO2? I'm playing it now and for the life of me I cannot find any Gauss rifles. I'm already doing the san fran quests, and I have 0. Did the patch gently caress around with their availability? I seem to remember that in vanila FO2 I had a rifle for me cassidy and robobrain by this point.

I'm pretty sure this has happened to me as well. I was in and out of San Fran for literal months waiting for the thing to appear, but no dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Ingram posted:

Which quest? I don't mind spoilers. Half using a guide anyway...

According to the Nearly Ultimate Fallout Guide:

quote:

[In Downtown Hub] Irwin standing in a building at the bottom of the map wants you to clear out the raiders infesting his farm. He'll only ask you if you're level 5 or higher; unless you bring a couple of NPCs you should probably be level 9 or so. Once you agree, you're teleported to the farm. Beware that once you leave this place you can never come back, so don't save here unless you're confident you can take out the raiders. Kill them all, pick up 2 Stimpaks and 1 Metal Armor from the floor, then return to Irwin to collect a reward of one .223 Pistol! You also get 500 xp though it doesn't show in the message window.

• Locked thread