Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

LLCoolJD posted:

Since everyone here seems to love these games, I'd like to point out what a good job they did of pacing your equipment and skill upgrades over the course of the game. There were ways for experienced players to get around that, but on the first time through these games really made finding the desert eagle or hunting rifle of FN FAL a real treat.

The FN FAL is a great gun when you have the ammo for it. It sucks that 7.62mm is so rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

HoldYourFire posted:

Fallout 2 had a ghost.

Where?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Definitely a bad idea for a first playthrough, you're missing out on a lot.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah but Fallout 2 is pretty goddamn annoying to play without the unofficial patch. And God help you if you decide to play Fallout 2 without any patch at all.

I played Fallout 2 just fine without any patches. What's wrong with it?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, I guess FO1 does have 1 ap power fists, but FO2 has 2 ap ones that do double damage so it all comes out in the wash. The period between your first spiked knuckles and finally getting a drat powerfist loving blows in either game, though.

At least FO2 has those nice more damage and higher crit rate attacks to fall back on in the midgame, they're pretty bitchin.

I'd still say that melee is better than unarmed in the first game, simply because you can get a super sledge as early as the Hub and that'll easily last you til you find a ripper.

Compared to the other Fallout games, FO1 is pretty lacking in weapons. Unarmed between spiked knuckles and power fists is the worst, but small guns also have that problem, it's pretty must just 10mm Pistol -> 10mm SMG -> Hunting Rifle -> Assault Rifle, and then if you want anything better you have to use energy weapons or big guns.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I would never discourage replaying the originals, but go to New Vegas. It's in many ways a direct continuation of the storyline, though self-contained for the people who only learned of the series from Fallout 3.

This. You even get to meet Marcus again in New Vegas.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

How do you stop the kids in the Den from robbing you, other then shooting them (which I don't want to do because Childkiller locks me out of pretty much every companion)?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Sheen Sheen posted:

Drop everything except for an armed time bomb. They'll pickpocket it and get blown up, and you don't even get the karma hit or the childkiller label, since no one will ever know it was you!

I thought they only stole money?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Am I getting a bug, or does Fallout 2 not have any music? I liked Fallout 1's soundtrack, but I don't hear any music in FO2.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

What companions are available in FO2 for a low-intelligence character?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Sulik, Vic, Goris, and K9. Also Dogmeat.

I think I've hosed up with Sulik, there aren't any dialog options available to get him to join me.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

You have to pay off his debt the very first time you talk to him. If you fail to do so, you won't have the opportunity to enlist him anymore.

Do I have to do the same thing with Vic?

And can I still be a slaver with low intelligence?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Is there any way to get Set to be less of an rear end in a top hat?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I have Fallout 2 paired on a thumbdrive with Minecraft, UT99, and Skulltag Doom. Between those four games, you can outlast the apocalypse wherever you go.

Why not Fallout 1 and Deus Ex?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

kingturnip posted:

Although the less said about some of the DLC, the better.

Whatever you do, don't play Mothership Zeta. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

I'd even say it's better then 3/NV. Reminds me of STALKER, or Half-Life.

• Locked thread