Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Good timing. I just started playing Fallout 2 for the first time recently.

Is Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Patch well-regarded? I sure hope so because I don't think I can remove it without starting over. I've only got to Klamath so if it really sucks let me know before I go farther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I dunno what you guys are talking about, Fallout 2 is kicking my rear end right now. I'm definitely experiencing that "wow I suck" feeling. I guess its because I'm only at the beginning, but these golden geckos and giant rats are destroying me and eating whole clips of ammo like it's nothing.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I am at a quandary in Fallout 2. I'm still in Klamath and have yet to kill the rat god or rescue that trapper dude. Problem is I am completely out of bullets. I bought out the two shopkeepers I could find and they have none left. Where can I get some more ammo?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
In Fallout 2 is there any way to exchange places with your party members or anything? Vic keeps getting me permanently stuck in narrow hallways and small rooms and such.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
drat, so I'm stuck again in Fallout 2. I finished all the sidequests I could find in the Den and went off with Sulik and my new, crappy buddy Vic to Vault City (I'm guessing that's my next destination). The trip there is loving brutal though, almost every random encounter destroys me. The guys who carry Hunting Rifles use them to kill my PC in like 2-3 hits. What am I missing, I have some decent guns (me with a magnum and hunting rifle, Sulik with a sharpened spear - I gave him a SMG but he just kept killing Vic - and Vic with a pistol), I just get hit for 18 damage a few times and then that's it. My armor is a pretty nice leather jacket that I found somewhere.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 12, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
So in Fallout 2, I just pretty much finished off Vault City and Gecko and got the car from the Den. Where do I go next? I got the location of Vault 15 from the vault computer, I have a couple breadcrumb quests to NCR and New Reno, and also have Broken Hills and Redding on my map.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Do you end up having to go to Redding for the story too or is that just to explore because its there? I really don't want to accidentally trigger some end quest or something.

Also, holy poo poo, I just accidentally discovered that this game has music. I'd been playing in silence this whole time. I figured it was a design choice but nope just had to change a couple lines in my cfg and bam glorious old crpg music.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 16, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I was just playing Fallout 2 and I moused over a npc and instead of saying "You see a townsperson" like it always does it said "You see a male biped of the species homosapien." Awesome.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I'm loving this game but Fallout 2 is so bad for the hoarder in me. I have to loot every chest, locker and corpse of anything valuable or useful. I've been able to stop picking up every gun I see, but I'm sure I have at least ten thousand rounds of various ammo locked up in my trunk.

Seriously though - just completed Vault 13, I'm on my way to the military base with my super group of Sulik, Cassidy, and Marcus (gently caress vic, kept getting in my way) and this is easily one of the best games I've ever played. I started the Fallout series with Fallout 3 and after I got past the initial clunkiness this was so different and so much better. Even playing it for the first time in 2011 I can see how magnificent this game is.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 24, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
In Fallout 2, I'm at a pretty high level, and I don't know what to do with my skill points. I've got tagged Small Guns and untagged Energy Weapons both at 100%, but it seems I can go higher than 100% if I want, at an increased skill point cost. Do I get significant returns for raising skills past 100% or should I figure out something else to dump points in? If I should raise it, about where does it stop being worthwhile to raise? (I have a lot of skillpoints saved up)

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
If you have the Sniper perk and 10 Luck (not sure how that happened actually, started the game with 8) do I even need to use aimed shots anymore? Hopefully not because I just spent all my skill points pumping Small Guns and Energy to 125.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can't actually save more than 99 skill points at a time. You can have more, but as soon as you leave the Character screen they're gone for good.

You shouldn't be only levelling your weapon skills, by the way. High speech, repair, science, lockpick and doctor all make themselves very useful over the course of the game.
Oh I got those, Speech and Lockpick are at 100, the others I raised pretty high with the infinite books in Vault City. But now that I think of it, is there any benefit to raising these non combat skills over 100%?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

If you have Sniper then you probably also have 10 in all stats and 300% all skills since there's no need to wait that long to finish the game so you just spammed the hintbook till you got what you wanted.
I don't even know how to parse this sentence. I guess I'm pretty close to the end, I'm in the military base after vault 13.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 25, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Be scanned by the Hubologists at all?
Was that the scientologist guy in NCR? I was wondering what that was all about. It's kind of funnier when I thought it did nothing.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I feel like if you've already bought a game twice it's morally all right to redownload a pirated version. If you had bought the game on Steam you'd be able to do that after all. The fan patches for this game are some of most comprehensive I've ever seen, this Killap guy has worked on his big restoration patch for like 5 years, itd be a shame to miss out on it.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 28, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Well I finally beat Fallout 2, way overleveled by the end (30) but enjoyed every minute of it. Every settlement got a happy ending, except New Reno which got destroyed by rocket launchers (whoops my bad). I'm pretty sure that was one the best games I've ever played. It sure was a treat to play such a classic RPG in 2011, they don't make games like this anymore. Thanks thread. Now on to New Vegas or maybe time to try Fallout 1 again.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 29, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

HoldYourFire posted:

Regretting installing the Fallout 2 Restoration Patch a little bit, now. What the gently caress is this Kaga poo poo? He has like a thousand hit points. Two 40+ critical hits to the eyes with a hunting rifle didn't do poo poo.
That was the hardest part of the RP for me. Kaga is a dick. If you damage him enough he'll run away, but I found it a lot easier to just run away when he shows up and kill him once I get sufficient weaponry.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Sam. posted:

Am I getting a bug, or does Fallout 2 not have any music? I liked Fallout 1's soundtrack, but I don't hear any music in FO2.
That is a bug. Open your fallout.cfg and change the respective lines to
music_path1=data\sound\music\
music_path2=data\sound\music\

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Killap's patch is all that's really essential, and you'd live even without it. Skip the restoration pack the first time. It doesn't add a whole lot, and there are a few QA oversights (mostly typos, occasional poor English). It's perfectly playable and complete without any mods, so just play it as it was released by the devs (sans some bugs squashed in the Killap patch).
Just to provide a counterpoint - I recently played thru FO2 for the first time WITH the restoration patch and I loved it. Looking at the changes I feel some places and quests would have felt half finished without it. The areas it adds are also really cool, completely in line with what they had planned for FO2, and not unbalancing. The only things I didn't like about it were the aforementioned few typos, the Kaga encounters, and the way it tried to rebalance weapon damage, which I disabled because it just made everything really hard. The Abbey and EPA ended up being a couple of my favorite places in the game (though I think New Reno was my overall fav).

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 12, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Might be an old fashioned nonsensical approach, but I feel the game should be first played without the changes from modders.
Fair enough. I don't get enough time to play games these days so I thought I'd realistically only get to play FO2 once. Might as well give it the benefit of 10+ years of support from the fan community.

And yeah the minor little changes that must have taken a ridiculous amount of work, like the NPC armor, are just mindblowing. I dunno if I've ever seen such a level of devotion to a game from a fan community. It's very inspiring in a way. Obsidian needs to hire that Killap guy; I read an interview with Chris Avellone and he basically didn't even know who he was :(

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

HoldYourFire posted:

How do I get to the EPA in the FO2 Restoration patch?
I found this by accident. I think you need to get Myron in your party and threaten to kick him out. He'll tell you about a building overgrown with carnivorous plants and the EPA will appear on your map. You can kick him out right after he tells you about it and still go there (because gently caress that sleazy little twerp).

• Locked thread