Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

dis astranagant posted:

Finesse is terrible, especially early on (-30% damage before DT for a 10% increase in crits).

Finesse is indeed terrible 99% of the time, but I seem to remember a friend of mine using it to help with an insane gimmicky sniper build that revolved around getting every possible bonus to the frequency and severity of critical hits, then using a pulse rifle to hit people in the eyes from across the battlefield and automatically kill them (even if the attack did 0 damage). It was probably along the same lines as the silly flare-hurling build someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

You can do some interestingly crazy things with the combat mechanics in these games.

e: Oh, I also used Finesse on a heavy weapons guy that used miniguns. The idea was that I'd let the sheer number of attacks translate into lots and lots of critical hits, but I can't remember if it worked out well or not. All I can remember is spending 90% of my time buying, scrounging, or stealing more bullets for the three giant guns I carried everywhere.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

This is why the funniest build is Jinxed, Heavy Handed, 1 Luck, as much Endurance and Agility as you can possibly get, and Doctor and Unarmed as tag skills. At that point it doesn't matter how criticals work, because the only criticals you'll ever see will be critical misses. End turn over and over, laugh as everyone around you collapses in a comical symphony of exploding guns and mysteriously shattering limbs, finish them off with kicks to the face (pausing every other turn to splint your busted leg for the fiftieth time).

Even better if you get that unlucky dog in your party. I love that guy :buddy:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Not really. Everyone I know who's played Fallout 2 has annihilated Vault City at least once. A few Citizens are decent sorts, but by and large, they're an arrogant, insular plutarchy with no real aversion to loving over those dirty poors for their own benefit. They might not be "evil" per se - particularly compared to assholes like Metzger or the Mordino family - but they're certainly complete cocks.

And in the wasteland, being a complete cock to someone who has bigger guns than you is a pretty good way to get shot in the face eyes.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I always prefer to just force them to be annexed by the NCR, where they'll have all their slaves taken away and be forced to surrender all their med tech and such FOR THE REPUBLIC.

Yeah the slavery thing is really the biggest eyebrow-raiser when it comes to Vault City. "Rich, rude assholes who don't give a gently caress about anyone" probably wouldn't draw so much murderous ire without that little "...also their 'servants' are basically slaves" on the end. Nobody feels bad about killing slavers, and with good reason, because gently caress slavers.

Rodyle posted:

...Does that still give you the Child Killer perk? I mean, with the restoration mod you might as well just stick them all in the orphanage, less time consuming, but that sounds funny enough to warrant a try.

Nope! It's completely consequence-free!

Here's a funny, related story: in European versions of the game, the child NPCs had to be removed to comply with laws forbidding the depiction of violence against youths. This was accomplished by simply removing their graphics (and I think dialogue) so that they didn't appear in the game. Unfortunately, the result was that the Den was filled with little pint-sized rear end in a top hat phantoms who'd pickpocket your poo poo without fear of reprisal. It eventually got out that the dynamite trick was the only way to prevent this, so European players of Fallout 2 would kill basically every invisible child in the Den every time they played, assuming they didn't instead obtain a hack or patch to put children back in so they could kill the little fuckers the old-fashioned way. A resounding success for the rule of law!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 19, 2011

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Minarchist posted:

The "bald guy in yellow pajamas" NPCs work well since they will only attack if you actually start a fight.

The junkies? The ones that take ten minutes to tediously shuffle away from you in depressing, limp-necked terror every single turn? I swear those guys are a more effective crime deterrent than any number of heavily armed guards. I'll happily annihilate a huge raider band for being rude to me, but my God I'm on my best behaviour around those twitchy fucks, because I fear their interminable shambling far more than any amount of firepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

My personal boner is for an Arcanum 2. Please. Journey to the Center of Arcanum sounded awesome. Pleeeeeeeeeeease.

If they made a game that was basically Arcanum: New Vegas I would start playing it and never stop.

• Locked thread