Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Good timing. I just started playing Fallout 2 for the first time recently.

Is Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Patch well-regarded? I sure hope so because I don't think I can remove it without starting over. I've only got to Klamath so if it really sucks let me know before I go farther.

The restoration patch is considered almost required actually.

I'd like to play 1 and 2 again and maybe give tactics another shot because I never got very far in it, but my Fallout Trilogy disk doesn't work right on my nice 64bit Windows 7 laptop. Perhaps the answers lie in the bowels of Gog's forums then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Which one do you have? I have GSP White Label(I ordered from a US company and I'm in the US, but I got the UK disc For some reason) and they installed fine on Win 7 64-bit for me. Well, 1 and 2 did, I haven't tried installing Tactics yet.

I'm not really sure, I just found it on a shelf one day and grabbed it because I'd always wanted to actually own FO1 and 2 after playing some pirated copies and being unable to find them otherwise. All 3 worked fine on my old vista laptop but now I get massive color corruption issues. I'm at least certain that it's a US copy though because as far as I'm aware FO2 had kids cut from it (badly) in Europe.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So would any of the mods in the OP fix color corruption on new systems?

And yeah the games will definitely kick the hell out of you. I honestly had no idea the series existed until I found it on TV Tropes by chance sometime after 3 was released, where they were praised for freedom of choice, especially 2. I instantly downloaded 2 and tried to make a speech based character, wherein I ran into the temple and was instantly killed by the first two ants. After reloading and managing to kill the little assholes by luck of the dice, I struggled through the temple looking for loot, getting addicted to healing powder, and getting poisoned several times, only to barely manage an escape after talking Cameron or whatever his name is down. I ran out of town after being nearly mauled in a fight with some weeds that were almost as bad but not quite as kudzu.

I then left the village and stumbled from town to town, finding myself poorly equipped for anything we came across (neither Sulik nor myself could beat KEEEEEEEEENG RAT or Golden Geckos, to give you an idea). Eventually, desperate for cash to get myself a decent GUN, I instantly embarked of the fastest downslide in the history of Chosen Oneing and became a slaver, selling Sulik and dozens of other tribals for piles of cash so I could get a Desert Eagle and maybe get somewhere. I finally gave up when I discovered my new slaver friends meant that I had lost nearly all my old, non-slaver friends and also new and exciting friends I'd never met before but who were happy to yell at me anyway, the last straw being the crazy shaman guy at home refusing to make me more powders (STILL ADDICTED) because I was evil (also I thought I'd screwed up the game beyond repair because of the visions he kept sending me).

It was a great roleplaying experience as far as how I'd ACTUALLY do in the Fallout setting goes, but not exactly as great in the whole "I'd like to actually get things done" department.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Beat Fallout 1 with FIXIT, worked great, being able to put Ian in power armor and pick up dropped weapons was great. Oddly though, Tycho appeared to have been erased from existence, is that a bug or some strange, NMAborn "feature"?

Anyway it's nice to have all the restoration fixes without the mutant invasion bullshit.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to play the Megamod, but it crashes the moment I enter the temple of trials if I just have megamod in. Before that I had a number of other mods installed on top of Megamod (Party Perks, Death Art Inv Fix, Lootable Armor, Custom Skill Books Megamod Version, and Weapon Ugrades), and managed to go inside just fine but when I got to the warrior at the end all his dialogue just said "error."

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well Megamod wouldn't work no matter what I did, kept crashing when I tried to go in the the Temple, so instead I just said the hell with it and decided to do good old vanilla Fallout 2, no Killap Patch, Restoration Mod, or anything else.

e: Turns out I can't live without the Restoration Mod anymore.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 13, 2011

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Here's the thing:

Over the last three or four years, I've installed this mod over Fallout 2 on five separate computers: Two desktops and three laptops. And three operating systems (XP, Vista, and Windows 7.) And not once have I had an issue that couldn't be resolved by poking through the (admittedly poorly documented) readmes and doing some troubleshooting. While I might have just had a really, really significant amount of luck, I'm inclined to think the problems are user error.

Perhaps you could lend your expert troubleshooting skills and explain why megamod installed on a clean install of FO2 would crash on entry to the Temple then.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

snip

Thanks, renaming the patch file worked like a charm, got a good hour or two out of it, but when I went to load the file again, it loads for a moment, then instantly crashes with the message "The instruction at 00459781 referenced memory at 00000064.
The memory could not be read from. Click ok to terminate the application." A bit of searching indicates that this issue first cropped up in 2.43 and, as far as I can tell, the author never figured out the cause.

I'm running 7 64 as I've mentioned before (I did eventually figure out the color corruption issue by the way, although the solution is loving nuts).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've been doing a solo run of Tactcs and it's going pretty well, didn't get far in the game last time when I tried to play it properly, got bored of it. I will say though that having 2 STR made the game much harder than I initially anticipated until I realized that drugs last the whole mission, wherein I just started popping Buffot at the outset, and some After Burner Gum on top of that for my H&K Caws (I actually got it for the Neosted Shotgun but didn't get the chance to use it before getting the Caws so whatever).

Is small guns going to be viable the rest of the game or should I start pumping big guns to use the browning? Right now I'm maining the Caws and a Garand and I'm in my first Super Mutant mission (which is going surprisingly well). For the record, here she is one After Burner and Buffot while standing up.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 16, 2011

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Directions?

As a general rule everything is optional in FO2. All of it. BUT if you want a natural advancement then the main quest path is Arroyo>Kalamth>Den>Vault City>Gecko>Vault City Again>NCR>Vault 15>NCR Again and then 3 to 4 more stops after that. Redding, New Reno, and Broken Hills are pretty much entirely optional but there's some cool stuff to do there, especially in the latter two, which in the natural progression of the game you'll pass close by anyway (a tip for New Reno quests: Mordino->Salvatore->Bishop->Wright). Redding you'll basically only end up in if you go there specifically or want to dabble in the caravan stuff, but there's a couple interesting things you can get involved in once in town.

HUGE GODDAMN WARNING WITH THE CAR:
NEVER park your car in New Reno and leave the screen where it's parked until post-game. If you're planning an extended stay in New Reno (and the 3 extra locations attached to it) then park your car at Broken Hills and walk. Also make sure you've gotten the Fuel Injection system from the back area of Klamath (past the rats), it makes your car go further for less MFCs if you get Smitty to install it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Minarchist posted:

Fallout 2 OST: Redding

Fallout 2 OST: My Chrysalis Highwayman

Fallout has some of the best ambient music I've heard in a long time.

Why not? When it's inevitably boosted, threaten Jules (the guy standing right next to where it was) and he'll lead you to the chop shop that it's been taken to. Some more threats or cash, and you can get some sweet upgrades from the guys at the chop shop.

That was always a fun sequence. However it is best to avoid it until post game, when you can get the antigravity plates from the chop shop and hover like a boss, you move ridiculously fast on the world map and use almost no fuel

Also if you're playing a female character you can pay...uh, in another fashion. Repeatedly. At least until T-Ray explodes from too much sweet lovin

gender illusionist posted:

Or do then find who took it and get it back, all pimped out

edit: double god drat ^^

Because as the guy above stated, if you wait until post game you can get the anti-gravity thing which isn't available otherwise.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Doug Lombardi posted:

Yes it does it gets stolen.

And you can get it back. With upgrades.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Not really. Everyone I know who's played Fallout 2 has annihilated Vault City at least once. A few Citizens are decent sorts, but by and large, they're an arrogant, insular plutarchy with no real aversion to loving over those dirty poors for their own benefit. They might not be "evil" per se - particularly compared to assholes like Metzger or the Mordino family - but they're certainly complete cocks.

And in the wasteland, being a complete cock to someone who has bigger guns than you is a pretty good way to get shot in the face eyes.
I always prefer to just force them to be annexed by the NCR, where they'll have all their slaves taken away and be forced to surrender all their med tech and such FOR THE REPUBLIC.

dis astranagant posted:

:laugh:

...Does that still give you the Child Killer perk? I mean, with the restoration mod you might as well just stick them all in the orphanage, less time consuming, but that sounds funny enough to warrant a try.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I bought FO2 during the sale (even though I own the trilogy pack on cd and have played it numerous times, go figure) and installed MegaMod because the feature list is nuts but all I remember is Kaga running around as the rival fight so I must not have played much but fuuuuuck that mod.
1. I must have played a rare male character when I messed with it last time because I sure don't remember that garbage in Arroyo. I start up my usual lady, and am immediately treated to tutorial rear end in a top hat yelling at me and a series of weepy dialogue options, followed by a longer, shittier Temple.

2. This is possibly a steam version issue, but there's an insane memory error that causes both frequent random crashes and kills savegames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Brasseye posted:

Why would they make an FO2 mod that makes the temple longer :psyduck:

Longer and, particularly bafflingly, featuring an absurdly powerful giant radscorpion off to one side.

• Locked thread