Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Xerxes17 posted:

As I recall yeah, it's just the M2HB and the rocket launcher that are effective. I found that the game basically had weapon progression of Small->Big->Energy in terms of what was most effective/available. Auto shotguns with slugs can work pretty well in a pinch too!

The gauss minigun fucks up everything, as does the Pancor Jackhammer with appropriate ammunition.

I say Van Buren discussion is fine, I still mourn the loss of it. A lot of it got reincorporated into New Vegas though so it could stray off topic.

Up yours and have a bullet breakfast, rear end in a top hat. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always dickpunch Bishop after banging his wife and his daughter. It's a compulsion. And when New Vegas referenced me banging Bishop's daughter I felt like I had come home.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Category Fun! posted:

Haha, where is this referenced in New Vegas? God drat, I always had to skip sleeping with them because I could never fight/sneak my way back downstairs afterwards. It was always better to go for his wife though, since she mumbled the safe combination in her sleep while his daughter just had a chance to give you a Jet addiction.

I don't remember his name, but there's a singer in the hotel at Novac who you can talk to about New Reno. He mentions some guy getting Bishop's daughter pregnant.

Category Fun! posted:

If that sentence doesn't convince you that Fallout 2 is the best game ever then nothing will.

There's also arm-wrestling the super mutant in Broken Hills. If you win, you get a free Power Fist. If you lose, the screen fades to black and you wake up the next morning with a ball gag in your inventory.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Farbtoner posted:

Counter-point: Fallout 1+2's combat is just Right Click => Target Eyes over and over for 20 hours, maybe occasionally setting up in a doorway to kill bad guys as they march through one by one. Fallout has a lot going for it but the combat isn't fun or strategic and the difficulty comes from terrible under-the-hood design decisions like critical hits.

You don't have to do that though. The game's so forgiving of different play styles that you can happily run around kicking people in the dick and sticking grenades in their pants.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fallout 2 is the most fun game of the series and Tactics is a solid squad tactical game where you and five of your buddies can beat the poo poo out of people with lead pipes and punch guns.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

actually the best combat character is unarmed / 10 luck / Jinxed

It's a great way to do a low-INT run. The Magical Retard who doesn't understand why the bad men are attacking or why they all kill themselves with dropped grenades and exploding guns. :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nope, they're still going at it. I was looking up something on NMA a couple days ago and there was a post about another injunction.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And at least he shot an enemy in the back instead of you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mr Cynicism posted:

poo poo I didn't know I couldn't target shots with the perk fast shot. Is fast shot worth it?

Yes, if your agility is high and you take Bonus Rate of Fire and Action Boy. You just need to focus on burst weapons with low AP requirements, you can fire four or five times a round with the right setup.

Any play style in Fallout works, it's only a matter of how hard it is to play.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mr Cynicism posted:

I loving died from a rad scorpion and didn't save. :( I'm going to still take fast shot. How do I get ROF and Action boy? Are they perks when I level up?

Yep. Fast shot + bonus rate of fire + lots of AP from agility and action boy + automatic weapon like a minigun = endless stream of death.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

In Fallout Tactics is there any point in tagging non-combat skills on the player character?

Barter maybe, since the PC does all the business. Lockpick is helpful too, I don't remember if any of the squad members are good at it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

We played a lot of Tactics multiplayer in college. You had to set house rules to make it fun. A whole slew of weapons were just banned outright (like Pancor Jackhammers with flechettes), which fixed the majority of the problems.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Reb posted:

2k games were much more fun, with limited levels, items, skills etc.

Or a game where the only permitted items are rotgut, broken bottles, and lead pipes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

I really wish Tactics had a co-op mode for the single-player campaign. Me and a friend would certainly have loved it, though we tend to play very patient games of Civilization as well.

Oh man, that would be total loving chaos. Ianing the poo poo out of each others' guys constantly. Why did you put this idea in my head?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Was Tactics even half-way decent? I'm thinking about getting it but I thought it flopped?

As long as you go in expecting to kill lots of poo poo in Fallout and not an RPG, it's great. NMA wanted Fallout 3 and shat all over it at the time, but even they have come around since.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sam. posted:

I played Fallout 2 just fine without any patches. What's wrong with it?

It must've been the patched version. Without the first patch you literally cannot finish the game, you get stuck at the oil rig.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pookum posted:

Nevermind I just installed the patches anyways. What's a fun character build for my very first ever Fallout 1 playthrough?

Whatever you feel like playing, Fallout lets you do anything you want. I probably wouldn't do melee for a first time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I would never discourage replaying the originals, but go to New Vegas. It's in many ways a direct continuation of the storyline, though self-contained for the people who only learned of the series from Fallout 3.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Baggins posted:

Well, that was surprisingly easy and fun at the same time.

Tactics is a great game to cheat in.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I honestly can't remember ever playing Fallout 2 without being a Jet addict.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The first couple missions in Tactics are great because you can have a squad of the techno-fetishist Brotherhood of Steel swarming over the gates and beating your enemies to death with lead pipes and broken bottles.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's not hard, I've always chosen weapons in Fallout based on awesomeness, not effectiveness. I used a tommy gun for most things in Fallout 2 more than once.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Minarchist posted:

1. Will Bethesda keep their drat mitts off of the next title and just pump out money and advertising campaigns for it?

That's what they did with New Vegas. The next game will be Fallout 4 by Bethesda, but we're all hoping for another Obsidian game after that.

Minarchist posted:

2. Will they develop for the 18+ PC audience and not puss out on the loving vile dialogue and horrible "what the poo poo just happened oh god my eyes" kind of situations?

3. Will the moral "choices" be a toss up between mild slavery and outright annihilation via heinous mutation or .223 ventilation?

5. Will there be an ungodly amount of chem and stat abuse? Filling your lungs with cow farts should make you twitch master of the wastes.

This all sounds like you didn't play New Vegas though.

My personal boner is for an Arcanum 2. Please. Journey to the Center of Arcanum sounded awesome. Pleeeeeeeeeeease.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

In order for three reasons.

1) Fallout has the best ending ever and you don't want 2 to spoil it.
2) There's a continuous storyline from 1 -> 2 -> New Vegas which is cool to see develop. None of the games are direct sequels but it's one big story.
3) The interface in 2 is improved enough that it makes 1 harder to play if you don't have nostalgia for it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

As long as you take Tactics for what it is instead of expecting Fallout 3, it's a load of fun. The problem was everyone wanted Fallout 3 so they poo poo all over it when it turned out not to be an RPG at all.

The only legitimately bad Fallout is that console action thing that has thankfully been forgotten.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Play them all in order except for the console Brotherhood of Steel abortion and you'll enjoy yourself. FO->2>NV form a rough trilogy, each game is independent but there's continuity between them. Tactics is its own thing entirely, and 3 references 1 and 2 but doesn't directly continue anything from them. Except mashing together the storylines and then cut and pasting them into DC but whatever, it's not bad.

Definitely do 3 before New Vegas, NV is so much better it makes 3 unpalatable to replay. And 3 is good, it's worth playing unblemished by NV's superiority.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The first 30 minutes of Mothership Zeta are cool. The following ~74 hours of shooting the same two aliens in the same two rooms are not.

Point Lookout is by far the best. Most people liked Broken Steel as well. Anchorage splits opinions, I enjoyed the look at Fallout's past enough to ignore that it sucked as a shooter. And Zeta is terrible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Definitely, the F3 storyline is nothing special but as usual, Bethesda is very good at establishing atmosphere and setting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

To be fair though Fallout only really has one ending.

But what a loving ending. Still the best one in any game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also remember to slaughter everyone in Vault City once you're done with the place.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't think I've ever finished Fallout 2 without being massively addicted to Jet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The addiction penalties are only really bad if you go into withdrawal, so you just have to go beat the poo poo out of enough prostitutes in New Reno to keep your supplies up. The circle of life.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pretty much. Perks every level, your stats are easy to raise and between the pile of skill points/skill perks/books it's hard not to max out. New Vegas is somewhat better with the specialization (perks less often, and have more specific effects instead of just +10 guns) but still a modern RPG, not as hardcore as the old ones.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you want (once you get there), the lead designer of New Vegas and our very own rope kid released a mod to make NV much more difficult. http://diogenes-lamp.info/jsawyer_fnv_mod.zip

There's also a mod for Fallout 3 called Fallout Wanderer's Edition that ups the difficulty and hardcoreity. I found it to be a big improvement.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait, the developer released a mod of his own game? That's just crazy.

My normal rule is "no mods for a first playthrough," because I want to play the game as-intended, but developers putting out mods makes it a hard choice. I'll think about both those -- thanks!

Of the two, I would suggest FWE more for breaking that rule. F3 is trivially easy without it. I haven't actually tried the Sawyermod, but NV isn't particularly difficult either. Harder than F3, nothing compared to an old school RPG. He's big on systems designing and balance and stuff though, so I'm sure it's a good mod.

Basically he released that because he can't make a big budget game with hardcore old school difficulty, but he wanted to play that so he modded it, and eventually released it for us to mess around with. NV also has a hardcore mode that adds hunger/thirst/radiation survival elements as well as adjusting some other difficulty things, like making stimpaks work over time instead of instantly. It's a lot like what FWE adds actually, though not as extensive.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You need to pick up a rope before you get there I think. Are you talking about speed in general or in battle? There's an options slider that lets you speed up the battles, but not for the whole game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ian is one of the great unintentional consequences in gaming. Everyone knows him as the rear end in a top hat who empties a SMG into your back and kills you accidentally, even though such behavior was never designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

First aid is literally useless, don't put anything in it. Some points in doctor is good.

I usually tag a weapon skill, speech, and lockpick.

• Locked thread