Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Boogoose posted:

Am I remembering things wrong or did the Khans in FO1 always drop their armour upon death? I vaguely recall when I first played I was annoyed that that cool leather armour wasn't lootable, but replaying it recently it was.

Being able to pick up about seven sets of expensive armour is a huge turning point in the game now. Pre-Khan it was still a struggle to feed the basic shotgun, but after the battle your cup floweth over.

Seems about right. I seem to remember my issue being carrying it all. But then, I always played scrawny fast-talking sharp-shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Boogoose posted:

Ah yes, the best template for an easy but comprehensive play-through, what I like to call The Gentleman Sniper.

With the use of Gifted and Small Frame you can get high perception, agility, charisma and intelligence at the cost of average luck and strength, and sub-par endurance. It opens up pretty much all diplomatic solutions, but still allows you to be a killing machine with a hatred of eyeballs.

I think I'm a terrible RPG player. Every time I try to make a Fallout character that's for example a dumb but strong knifeman, I immediately miss all my snappy retorts and verbal shortcuts. It doesn't help that the canonical Vault Dweller was clearly a Small Guns / Speech build.

"Quick Draw" might actually be more accurate for me. I tend to take Fast Shot and Gifted (does anyone not take Gifted?), followed up with Action Boys and Bonus Rate of Fire. The ultimate expression of this build was my first Fallout Tactics protagonist, who could fire the Gauss pistol ten times and reload every turn.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Tactics came out at a time when people were really hoping for a full-fledged Fallout 3. What they got was a kind of poorly concieved, but fun and fairly in-depth tactical rpg in the Fallout engine. That didn't really fit with the established canon.

But it did give us furry deathclaws! :patriot:
(Not sarcastic. Furry deathclaws are the best deathclaws.)

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 12, 2011

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Rodyle posted:

Is small guns going to be viable the rest of the game or should I start pumping big guns to use the browning? Right now I'm maining the Caws and a Garand and I'm in my first Super Mutant mission (which is going surprisingly well). For the record, here she is one After Burner and Buffot while standing up.

With that build, start investing in energy weapons once super mutants start to show up.

On a different note, I'm amaze so many people played this game on CTB. How do you manage not to get half your team torn up by charging deathclaws or minigun fire while you're issuing orders to the other half?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

quote:

Lots of good CTB advice

Very cool! I think all the X-com I played as a kid instilled the desire to micromanage everyone's actions at all times. Setting up ambushes and whatnot seems like it's probably more in the spirit of how the game was meant to be played than my usual approach of 1 sniper, 1 medic, and four guys with combat shotguns who break down the door and use their high AP-count to shotgun-rush everyone.

This makes me want to reinstall the game and try a CTB run of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Penguingo posted:

If you find one special encounter in Tactics, by the way, you've found four. Go in a square just inside the gridlines of that square and you'll get more!

(ok there's only three here but I got lazy. it's an old copy of the game I've had installed forever so I don't know if this happens in the latest patch)

It does. There are special encounter "hotspots" on the map, where you're basically guaranteed to get one. It makes hunting down a particular one pretty easy. Gamebanshee has a map:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/fallouttactics/specialencounters/worldmap.php

• Locked thread