Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Kamrat posted:

They need them because they know the code best, as of right now at least.

In the future however, who knows.

Yeah I'm sure the tech-illiterate farmers at Microsoft are scratching their heads and begging the coding wizards not to leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

I recall these blocks from way back, and the post that described them in detail. Where is this server at, I meant to ask then because it sounded like a ton of fun.

Its WilsonSMP in PGS, or you can head over to our website here: http://www.wilsonsmp.com/index.php

We are about a week away from starting our new world, so now would be the time to ask for a white list. Tonight we will be building Spawn Island and setting up some option quests for people to earn some in game currency (to use at npc shops set up in cities across the world that get built) as well as teach the basics for a few things we changed.

Vib Rib posted:

For curiosity's sake, do you or Enzer have a link to that post? I'd like to read about it.

Custom Stuff 2 sounds really great overall and probably what I'd want to do with modding now that I've realized any competency I once had with it is gone. I just wish it were more prevalent and more regularly updated so stuff other people and I might make for it could be more easily distributed.

Its somewhere in my post history, but I've changed it a bit for our 1.7.10 relaunch. Basically the original idea was tested as a beta and I've tweaked and cut out a lot of the tedium based on player feedback.

A walk through of the mod is available on our server, but you should be able to see it here: https://sites.google.com/site/wsmtawu/

I'm always taking player feedback into consideration and making tweaks.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 18, 2014

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

kas posted:

I'm not going to chime in strongly one way or the other on the whole Microsoft thing, but I do have a bit of a concern with this merger, only because I have a written, but informal, agreement with Mojang on using some of their textures through the customizer, what and how much of the Minecraft name and branding I can use with the site, and any merch/promotional stuff I do, and other behind the scenes sort of stuff of that nature.

While this shouldn't affect Painterly unless they get extremely anal about the brand, there's still an outside possibility that Microsoft decides they don't like what I'm doing or whatever, and I'm fairly dubious that they are going to actually acknowledge or honour any of these previous agreements I've had with Mojang - so I remain somewhat cautious about the whole affair moving forward.

Thanks for replying. You and the other modders are the ones I'm worried about, not the Mojang employees. You've spent many nights developing artwork and code to provide a good, solid product so we can have more fun with Minecraft. I just really hope Microsoft doesn't screw you over too badly. We'll see.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

oddium posted:

Yeah I'm sure the tech-illiterate farmers at Microsoft are scratching their heads and begging the coding wizards not to leave

It's not that they are coding wizards, it's the fact that they've worked with the code for a very long time and know how it works.

I'm not doubting that Microsoft would understand it, but there's no reason to switch out programmers with people who has not worked with this code before.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

The developers, yes. But what about the employees who work with merchandise? Marketing? Any other department that doesn't have the job of 'making Minecraft'? Unfortunately Microsoft may very well see those jobs as now being redundant and expendable.

Having been through a couple mergers/acquisitions in my day (one of which was a software company), it seems to take about 4-6 months before changes begin in earnest. There's usually some shuffling in upper management right off the bat (especially to replace the new billionaires who are on their way out), but the rank and file workers do okay initially. Then once plans are laid out and the bigger company identifies what people are redundant, that's when people get their pink slips.

Dead wood, HR people, IT.. they usually get shown the door. The folks with institutional knowledge get to stay longer because the company can't afford to lose their knowledge yet. But eventually even they get marginalized once replacement developers get up to speed.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

When I think about Microsoft buying Minecraft I just wanna..... gaaaaah !! [sweeps Lego Millennium Falcon off desk violently]

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

xzzy posted:

Having been through a couple mergers/acquisitions in my day (one of which was a software company), it seems to take about 4-6 months before changes begin in earnest. There's usually some shuffling in upper management right off the bat (especially to replace the new billionaires who are on their way out), but the rank and file workers do okay initially. Then once plans are laid out and the bigger company identifies what people are redundant, that's when people get their pink slips.

Dead wood, HR people, IT.. they usually get shown the door. The folks with institutional knowledge get to stay longer because the company can't afford to lose their knowledge yet. But eventually even they get marginalized once replacement developers get up to speed.

That's about right. There's a long stretch of business as usual, then some new faces show up and start doing evaluations by month 4. By month 6 management starts to consolidate, and by month 8 everyone who serves an essential and non-redundant purpose has re-interviewed and been given a new contract. The rest of the faces (like the director of 'fun') disappear.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Edit: Removed

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 18, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

oddium posted:

You can be a terrible programmer and still be better at working with a particular program than a skilled programmer.

In fact, if you are a terrible programmer, it is increasingly probable that you are possibly the only person on the planet capable of working with your program.

Code is a bit like language, everyone uses it a bit differently and the less formal instruction you get, the more you tend to start making up words and deviating from the standard, much to the fury and incomprehension of people who like the formal approach.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Also gently caress vanilla's lack of decorative building blocks.

This is some of the poo poo I've added for our server, lots of thanks go to SMP for making a good number of these textures.

Daub and Wattle blocks, the ones with no support going across their front use CTM to merge into one large bordered surface.

Painted Daub and Wattle. These were mostly done because we wanted to make wool more cloth like and wanted players to have something to make colorful houses with.

Decorative Iron, Rusted Iron, Bronze, Oxidized Bronze, Wrought Iron, Rusted Wrought Iron blocks. Main version of these blocks use CTM and there is a way to convert them into non-CTM blocks.

Creates full of random stuff.

Decorative bookshelves.

Additional tiled brick and red bricks.

Lapis brick, polished lapis block, Lapis smoothstone pillar, lapis sandstone pillar (pillar blocks CTM moving up).

Obsidian Brick and Chiseled Obsidian.

Additional sands as well as two environmental blocks for volcano and nether areas.

Additional sandstones.

Dyed glowstone and additional redstone lamps.

Stained clay brick type 1.

Stained clay brick type 2 aka painted brick.

Painted smooth stone brick.

Plus a bunch of new iron fence types, wooden fence types, "cross blocks" (think spider webs) that mimic puffs of smoke for chimneys or firefly that give off low light or animated buzzing flys or ropes and chains to attach hanging lamps to.

Combining what I have shown plus stuff I didn't bother to take pictures of, we've more than doubled the number of blocks MC adds. :v:

*Ignore some of the varied colors in some spots, lot of these images were taken with WIP textures*

Enzer fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 18, 2014

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Why not just start over rather than use the existing code? I doubt it would take long with enough people on the job. I can't imagine that they care about the current code. Figured they are just buying the brand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Why not just start over rather than use the existing code? I doubt it would take long with enough people on the job. I can't imagine that they care about the current code. Figured they are just buying the brand.

Mojang presumably hasn't because the modders would throw a shitfit.

Microsoft, who knows? Depends how much they care about the vocal portions of the community I guess.

But if you're going to rewrite the code from scratch, and particularly if you're microsoft and are trying to explicitly oppose cross-platform compatability to get more exclusives for your mobile devices and possibly your console, then you're probably going to write it in a more efficient language than java, in which case you're simply remaking the game.

So that would be minecraft 2.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

You can be a terrible programmer and still be better at working with a particular program than a skilled programmer.

In fact, if you are a terrible programmer, it is increasingly probable that you are possibly the only person on the planet capable of working with your program.

Code is a bit like language, everyone uses it a bit differently and the less formal instruction you get, the more you tend to start making up words and deviating from the standard, much to the fury and incomprehension of people who like the formal approach.

Hmmm what about modders ?? Surely they understand the game code, maybe even better than Mojang. Checkmate.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I guess it depends on the % of people that actually use mods. The game has sold more mobile and console versions than pc and they don't have mid support.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Enzer posted:

Additional sands as well as two environmental blocks for volcano and nether areas.

These are all great, and I love the variety of decorative blocks you've managed to add without re-treading old ground or just giving a million of one type. Really gives a lot of options. I wanted to say specifically about this sand that I think the lack of inter-mod compatibility is a huge reason mods that add new dirts/sands/stones don't usually catch on. The mod Enhanced Biomes has new stone and dirt types for the new biomes, so you get like black, loamy dirt, dry red dirt, granite, basalt, that sort of stuff. And it's all pretty neat in theory, but in practice it fills up your inventory with stone that's just like regular stone except it works in fewer recipes.
I guess a bigger and more comprehensive implementation of ore dictionary or whatever would go a long way.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

oddium posted:

When I think about Microsoft buying Minecraft I just wanna..... gaaaaah !! [sweeps Lego Millennium Falcon off desk violently]

You broke your little ships...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Harminoff posted:

You do realize that paying people costs money, and Microsoft just laid out $2.5 billion for the game right? Going on a hiring spree to completely re-architect the game is not going to do jack poo poo to make any of that money back. Especially considering Mojang has already spent most of the last couple years refactoring the code anyways. It's probably still a mess, but it's less of a mess than it used to be.

We'll probably see some major overhauling for Minecraft 2, but Minecraft 1 is a shipped product. They're not going to rock the boat too much on that one.. it makes no sense to burn money on it.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

These are all great, and I love the variety of decorative blocks you've managed to add without re-treading old ground or just giving a million of one type. Really gives a lot of options. I wanted to say specifically about this sand that I think the lack of inter-mod compatibility is a huge reason mods that add new dirts/sands/stones don't usually catch on. The mod Enhanced Biomes has new stone and dirt types for the new biomes, so you get like black, loamy dirt, dry red dirt, granite, basalt, that sort of stuff. And it's all pretty neat in theory, but in practice it fills up your inventory with stone that's just like regular stone except it works in fewer recipes.
I guess a bigger and more comprehensive implementation of ore dictionary or whatever would go a long way.

Yeah, those sands are not part of the vanilla world generation, because of what you mentioned, but we use them when we go back and voxel areas to make them look nicer. So most of the world is covered in the vanilla sand type, and we use MCpatcher's biome property to give sand along rivers or the bottom of oceans a different look from beach sand.

That said we have, in the past, used the really bright sand to decorate tropical islands.

Mostly, we try to use texture trickery on world gen blocks to make areas look unique, but say someone wants red sand for their build but doesn't live in a biome that pulls that texture for normal sand? Well, they can combine sand with dye to make the blocks themselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Harminoff posted:

I guess it depends on the % of people that actually use mods. The game has sold more mobile and console versions than pc and they don't have mid support.

Mhm, especially if they aren't really very interested in the PC market, it may be that a sequel will be the priority.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

You broke your little ships...

Brilliant reference.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

chrisf posted:

You could use a command block to set an infinite/timed duration invisibility effect, and then honor system that players have to wear armor so they aren't fully invisible.

So the answer is no and I'd have to use a retarded workaround, neat, figured as much.

I saw a mod that removed nameplates ages ago, like 6 or 7 versions ago, and I've never seen another one since.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

I've been hearing people toss around ideas of a C#/C++ Minecraft clone. What do all of you think of Minetest? I've tried it a little a while ago. Seems decent from what I remember.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Seven Force posted:

I've been hearing people toss around ideas of a C#/C++ Minecraft clone. What do all of you think of Minetest? I've tried it a little a while ago. Seems decent from what I remember.
From what I understand, it is, functionally, about the same as every other Minecraft clone ever: They made creative mode, maybe even some worldgen, and then that's it.
Minecraft didn't really get popular until they moved past Creative and started Survival Test, which went on to become Indev, then Infdev, then basic Minecraft as we know it. Even as flawed as it is, Minecraft does have gameplay, and that's what sets it apart. Minetest might have promise, but until there's actually some kind of gameplay, it's nothing to write home about.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Seven Force posted:

There are about 5000 minecraft clones that blow minecraft out of the water in technical capability. But it never matters because they're never a game, just an engine.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Whatever happened to those Minecraft clones that a couple of goons were working on? I remember one had tinted glass or something and took place in outerspace and another had different sized blocks and in a video he built a primitive stone structure on a hill and it had some basic primitive water physics.

This was 2-3 years ago though.

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post

Enzer posted:

Dyed glowstone and additional redstone lamps.

This is the coolest of the bunch and it is immediately what I thought of when I heard about colored beacons.

You shouldn't stop at just blue, red, and green.

edit: i want to dye beds too.

edit2: notch is fat

Zorato fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 19, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Disappointing Pie posted:

Whatever happened to those Minecraft clones that a couple of goons were working on? I remember one had tinted glass or something and took place in outerspace and another had different sized blocks and in a video he built a primitive stone structure on a hill and it had some basic primitive water physics.

This was 2-3 years ago though.
Kleaveland looked amazing and had liquids, mobs, weapons, and plans for dynamic adventuring, but despite the last few updates looking super-promising, there's been no update in over a year, so I'd say presumed dead.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I want mirror blocks so i can light my whole home with beacon beams like that dungeon in skyrim.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Shannow posted:

I want mirror blocks so i can light my whole home use something like redstone with beacon beams like that dungeon in skyrim Ocarina Of Time.

I sort of agreed with you.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Vib Rib posted:

Kleaveland looked amazing and had liquids, mobs, weapons, and plans for dynamic adventuring, but despite the last few updates looking super-promising, there's been no update in over a year, so I'd say presumed dead.

That was the main one I was remembering!

Ah the memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_3PjhMEDMA

Edit: Wow looking at some of his later videos, that game was looking drat good. Wow, wish he hadn't disappeared.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 19, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Disappointing Pie posted:

That was the main one I was remembering!

Ah the memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_3PjhMEDMA

Edit: Wow looking at some of his later videos, that game was looking drat good. Wow, wish he hadn't disappeared.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83FaEueaV8s&t=2s
holy poo poo this looks so rad

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It's really weird, too, because it had its own thread and blog and poo poo and them he one day up and disappeared without a single word :shrug: It was probably the most promising one.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really hope he didn't actually pass away. :ohdear:

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
He probably just got picked up early by Microsoft to become Jeb 2.

It is the only likely scenario.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah I had a lot of fun playing and building in that. Have a copy of it on some old hdd, but sadly never updated to the last version.

There are some really good looking clones as well, but like said previously once creative is complete further development seems to end.

For example, blockscape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfEEVpKE9T8

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I remember they had FortressCraft, that XBOX clone that had the balls to call itself "Chapter 1" and promised that future chapters would include actual gameplay on top of Chapter 1's free building.
Spoiler warning, but Chapter 2 never came out.

E: Ahaha holy poo poo, looking it up I came on this quote from the creator of FortressCraft:

quote:

"It [Minecraft] might do well on the name alone, but if you want sexy graphics and shaders and the creative aspect, you have FortressCraft. If you want to fight monsters and share stuff with your friends, you have Total Miner. Nobody will pay for Minecraft when they can pay $3.00 for Total Miner or FortressCraft".

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
drat, look at those mountains. That panorama makes me want to explore.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Vib Rib posted:

E: Ahaha holy poo poo, looking it up I came on this quote from the creator of FortressCraft:

Ah, now there's someone who doesn't understand gently caress about business. I bet he lies awake at night wondering why people buy iPhones.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Trivia posted:

drat, look at those mountains. That panorama makes me want to explore.

Well the Dev wrote this and nothing since so...

By Jens Blomquist | Published 2014-07-21
The current world of Blockscape is realistic, beautiful, and epic. It is also super boring. I feel that everything about this game is going in the right direction but the world is not. It is very far from what I had in mind when I started this project. Something has to change. I can’t work on something that I don’t believe in.

In the following weeks I will introduce you to the real world of Blockscape. A world that is fun, beautiful and epic. For this to work I’m going to try a very different approach to procedural generation. The whole world will be generated using modified versions of the castle generation algorithms. This gives me full control over the world and that is the key to making something fun and interesting. Goodbye perlin noise.

I know that many of you like the realistic world so in the future it will exist as an option next to “infinite plane” and “new world”.

Edit: actually it looks line he just abandoned his forums for Twitter
http://i.imgur.com/8iEbZC0.jpg

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Harminoff posted:

Well the Dev wrote this and nothing since so...

By Jens Blomquist | Published 2014-07-21

Their twitter is a lot more active.