Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Danyull posted:

Chain world's been sent to Fishylungs. As far as maps go, it's up to you all whether you want me to make them every couple turns or not, but part of the whole thing is stumbling upon what other people built ahead of you.

I've come to brag that I have 12 diamonds and 0 deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

mdxi posted:

Are portals/the nether still bugged? I started playing right after the update that made all portals go to the same place in the nether, and I just now figured that surely it had been fixed by this point in time, so I built a second portal several hundred blocks away from the first and....ended up at the same spot in the nether. :smith:

Yea, long story short you have to build your way out of the nether if you want to use it for fast transport.

I finally set one up, but it was sort of messed up because I didn't realize other people on my server already set up another portal in another place. Though it's actually a fun adventure to have to go and build your way out. :3:

It also is a great use for massive buildups of cobblestone.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I took a flying leap, enjoy whoever is next in the Chainworld.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Kin posted:

Well, to be honest, the combat of Terraria got grating after a while. It got to the point where i was like "just leave me the gently caress alone and let me work".

I feel like this when I'm building something big. I honestly wish I would expedite the process of building what's essentially a large cobblestone square.

But if you've got a friend exploring a new cave can actually be a lot of fun on a server. It'll probably be more fun with the update to combat.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Norton posted:

Also, why add poison? I think I hate all the enemies except zombies.

Apparently the poison is only from spiders that hang out in abandoned mines, and they apparently get their own spawner? That's what I got from the wiki's page on coming updates.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Danyull posted:

:siren: Here's your map. (Don't click if you want a surprise when the world gets to you!)

Tinypic re-sized it, and Imgur made it into a horrible looking JPEG, so if a bigger one's needed I can upload it to Dropbox. I would send the world off now but Estel's already done it :argh:.

:3: I see it! I see what I built.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Notch just tweeted.

Vines aren't climbable, he's still aiming for a Sept. 8th release, and villages are going to be people-less until 1.9.

I kind of hope the wait for 1.9 isn't long now.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

Would be really great if they started their own mines with a sense of ownership, and also would take up arms against you to protect their territory

They're supposed to respond poorly if you piss them off. Of course they may just respond poorly.

Hopefully the reason we're not getting NPCs yet is because they're trying to get them to work smoothly. Though I think I'd prefer if they just held onto villages and waited to release them with the NPCs.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Pucklynn posted:

Am I alone in wishing that for a little while Mojang would stop coming out with new features? I really don't feel like villages add a whole lot that was desperately missing (we've got mods for almost everything now) and I'm sure as gently caress modding out Endermen as soon as possible. gently caress that poo poo.

Not me. But that's because I think the current village mod sucks butt.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I'd be satisfied if it just dropped a random portion of your inventory. Hell, whoever had the idea to keep your hotbar items has the right idea. I wouldn't have the time or patience to juggle items since I usually keep only everything I NEED to use on it, and I'd rather lose diamonds and have to hunt for them than lose a diamond pickaxe.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Given that I usually find more than 3 diamonds on an excursion, I'd have to disagree.

Yea but I hate crafting stuff.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

IUG posted:

What are you playing this game for then? You don't like the enemies, the gameplay setup, or the core of the gameplay (it's even in the name). What are you playing this game for then?

There is no way to take the tone out of that sentence for some reason, but I'm genuinely curious.

Yea you sound like a real dick. I get it though.

But you're also putting words in my mouth 'cause I never said anything about not liking the enemies you dummy. I like the enemies, and with the combat update I imagine it will be more fun. I like the new enemies, the only thing I don't is creepers and they're easy enough to avoid. I like the game play set up. Hell, short of wanting to do mega projects creative mode sounds boring as poo poo. I like mining. I spend more time mining than anything. More than building or exploring or monster fighting, all of those combined. And I like crafting stuff. Making planks, turning my sand into sandstone, or working with cobblestone to make poo poo. But picks? gently caress making picks. People complain about having too much cobblestone, I never have that problem. I have a shortage of picks. All the time. I never have enough picks to mine every single thing I want. So I have to go back, and make more, and it's such a boring hassle. And I don't even think non-breaking tools is a good idea. I just loving hate picks. Typically what stops me during a minecraft session is my pick breaking. It's a nuisance.

So there you have it.

On a side note, generally if you don't want a post to sound like it has a certain tone, taking out your swearwords helps. Sounds weird but it's a lot less aggressive sounding.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I think the most amusing part of the coming update is that, even though they don't do anything, no one has complained about the XP orbs. Even though they don't do anything.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Notgothic posted:

I save my annoyance for the hunger gauge; gently caress penalizing people for not eating if they don't need to heal. I'm even ok with the non-instantaneous healing, though I'd prefer it the other way, but "if you don't eat, you'll lose health or die"? That's getting modded out immediately.

It's supposed to be toggle-able so assuming they didn't remove that option you shouldn't even need a mod.

Also, a "meh" is still not complaining.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Notgothic posted:

Nothing is too cruel for ghasts, gently caress them forever.

The first time I saw one I was in awe.

About the tenth I wanted them to gently caress off and die, I was trying to make my way in the nether.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Javid posted:

I don't get the gripes about the hunger bar. I have spent probably 1% of my time since the update giving a poo poo about it since it barely goes down much.

I got gang-raped by 2 creepers, a spider, and a handful of skeletons. There needs to be SOMETHING that heals immediately.

Odd considering I didn't think I'd care as much about the hunger bar as I do.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
:stare: Is anyone else running into zombies that don't die in sunlight in their villages?

They only take one hit to die, but they're still there terrorizing my villagers.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Iacen posted:

Please tell me that's tiny zombies with giant heads :3:

The down side is I was working on a map and was hoping to use spawn eggs to place monsters in traps. Guess that's not happening.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Generator posted:

This is correct. Just tried the snapshot and baby chickens, cows etc, but normal hostile mobs.

Excellent! Thanks, I hadn't been home since the snapshot went up so I had no way of checking.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Tobaccrow posted:

Here's the requirements for a village house from the wiki:
  • Must have a solid roof (something that blocks skylight)
  • Must have a door
  • Must be made of non-naturally generated blocks.
  • the natural blocks are: air, stone, grass, dirt, bedrock, water, lava, sand, gravel , any ores, logs, leaves, sandstone, tall grass, dead bush, flowers, mushrooms, snow tiles, ice, cactus, clay, sugarcane, pumpkin, huge mushrooms, vines, mycelium, lily pad, end portal frame.
Don't know how accurate that is though. I'm pretty sure I've had testificates live in houses made from giant red mushrooms.

When don't they include logs? That's the only material I've seen any use for roofs.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Esme posted:

From Jeb's Twitter:

Is this... a rudimentary buying and selling interface? Testificates might actually do something in the future! :aaaaa:

Hopefully the coins won't only stack to 64 because that could get real obnoxious real fast.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

General_Failure posted:

Trading, meh. Colony collapse syndrome needs to be fixed first. What's the easiest way to repopulate my SSP village? All I can think of is to use some sort of inventory hacker to get some villager eggs and go hog wild.

My village had sudden and total collapse. They just vanished. Every last one of them. It was a large town too. Plentiful villagers. I even lit it and fortified it to keep most of the mobs at bay, and wandered around at night slaying the stragglers. As in mobs, not villagers. Loaded the map yesterday and saw a villager frolicking on a nearby sand dune. Didn't think much of it at the time as they tend to do that. Evening came and I started noticing there were no villagers. Went through checking every single house, the ravine, the desert, plains and water. nothing. All gone.
Did they fail to load, self destruct of get Alzheimers and wander off?

Is the ravine fenced off? Unlike everything else Villagers seem to have no problem wandering off cliffs. I actually had villagers going 2 ways, wandering down one hole, and falling through a hole in the river nearby. I'm trying to heard the ones I found in the desert there, but I have to get them through a jungle too and they seem content with doing nothing but hiding in their houses.

I gave them double doors though, they're a lot less annoying with double doors.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Enzer posted:

The village in the upper left looks a bit off as well, but I can't put my finger on it. There seems to be a stair like block sitting on a flat roof, but it has way too many steps.

There's also the fact it's in a jungle, they're apparently not supposed to spawn there.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I was there a couple days ago! Looks amazing.

Though walking around the map highlights the fact minecraft does need more decorative crap for worlds, both as furnishings and things in the wilderness. There's only so much you can do with tall grass, shrubs, and flowers.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I've actually been working on one myself, but I'm waiting for the command block to get included in proper. Which sounds weird but really, I'm having tons of fun just building my little world and writing it's books.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
It took me way too long to figure out you have to be one block above/below the placement of where you put the dropper if you want to move stuff up/down. At the same time, it feels way easier than older redstone stuff. I've already made a dropper chain that goes over, up, down, and into a chest! Hoppers were a lot more fun to figure out too.

Sadly I still have no idea what comparators can do for me.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
You guys get boring when you stop talking about building with blocks and start talking about your indignant rage at modding API.

So lets look at my blocks!
I've been playing on a vanilla server, so everything I've got was collected and made by me.

Including a collection of mini-biomes!

And with the addition of item frames I've been able to make a storage space I'm really keen on.

Funny thing is I'm mostly using it as storage space for a bigger project. I'm attempting to construct a village, but first I'm building walls around it so they can't just wander off. It's something like 256 by 192, and requires somewhere above 14k stone bricks.

I'm only done with about 1/8th of the wall, but hopefully it'll all look like that.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Heavy Lobster posted:

This really has more to do with the 360 version being constructed from the ground up by people who knew what the gently caress they were doing with their coding, which is not a quality Notch shares.

Actually as the updates have come out, I've noticed they occasionally have the same/similar bugs that the PC version did. The latest update has a really bad lighting glitch.

:v: So if this is people knowing what the gently caress they're doing the whole thing seems like kind of a wash, hu?

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Especially since I'd bet Notch can't/won't/doesn't care enough to do anything about it. For the curious, he's getting spammed over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Inepta Lacerta posted:

The trick to minecraft modding and creating modpacks is finding the mods that interact well with other mods and don't exist solely for their own sake when it comes to content and then making it look/perform/feel good. Stuff like Better Grass & Leaves helps, though.

The reason I stopped even looking at mods is because they all became these weird vanity projects. About the last one I stopped keeping track of was Mo' Creatures, and that's because that at least added a lot of variety to the world.

It's why this last update was the bee's loving knees to me, tossing us biomes and new blocks!? Yes please! Now if only the whole "enemies are a hassle to fight and also there's only like 4 different ones on the overworld" thing.

Or birds. I would totally accept little pixel birds just knocking around the world.