Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What I wanted, in theory, was a good post-apocalyptic-friendly system; something like this sounds good:

RULESET: Between Lite-Normal and Normal-Crunchy
SUPPORT: User-Generated or Established
CHARGEN: Quick or Involved
SETTING: Any, really!

I already am running the campaign where I would have sought advice from this thread (started in Call of Cthulhu D20, ported it to Savage Worlds Realms of Cthulhu once it proved popular enough to continue), but while I do love Savage Worlds, it does not lend itself terrifically well to "oppressive" (Realms of Cthulhu certainly helps with that, though it obviously is not intended for post-apocalyptic scenarios). I hear lots of good things about Apocalypse World, except it does not sound like it would be very good for a gritty dark comedy game where everyone plays themselves. Or maybe it is perfect for that, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was having a private conversation with a guy I know who wants a gaming tie-in to his movie (I know how that sounds, but he has already seen multiple films through from start to finish and shown them at legitimate festivals) and he asked if I had any suggestions for whether they should design their own system or license a pre-existing one. I thought "OH I KNOW JUST THE THREAD!"

Here is what he is looking for:

Dark Sun meets Blade Runner, if that makes any sense. I thought about contacting the publishers of Dark Conspiracy to see if I could use their rules framework. I need something that can handle various levels of tech, has a decent melee system, and can incorporate psionics. It seems a lot easier to adopt a pre-existing system but...I don't know...maybe it'd be better to design something new. Thoughts?

(From what I know of his game/movieworld, it all takes place on a largely uninhabitable planet that was colonized as an Earth outpost. It seems like Earth is destroyed or otherwise irrelevant, and that androids significantly outnumber people. Also from what I remember of Dark Conspiracy I feel like he is potentially interpreting "an awesome setting" as "awesome rules," which could be a problem [oh god from the Wikipedia entry "For common tasks and situations the rules are very direct, but the rules that govern more unusual situations, such as explosives, become extremely complex, requiring the use of square roots and decimal fractions"].)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Doc Hawkins posted:

What's the movie about?
NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT

I am only like 75% sure he would not mind me asking the general public, so I was a little leery to go there; while surely someone dedicated enough could already figure it out, it would be challenging and provide little reward, but if I gave out too many details, it might be much easier. Of course, he also did mention publicly once that he was interested in a gaming tie-in ...

His finished short film in this world was either about a person who believed he was an android or a malfunctioning android (I only saw previews thus far), and I think the uhh half-feature-length? one he is working on now is about a workers' resistance movement rising up against the oppressive regime that runs the colony. So, you know, futuristic dystopia, but with more post-apocalyptic overtones via the minimal number of actual human beings versus synthetic and presumably evil-overlord-subservient lifeforms.

The way you know he is both a gamer and a socially competent human being is that when describing his movie world to normal people, he calls it "Mad Max meets Blade Runner" instead of "Dark Sun meets Blade Runner."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Echophonic posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on how to do a fairly detailed time travel RPG?
There is a newish obscure game called Jumpers (which openly admits to being based on Sliders) that I thought worked pretty well in this regard in the game I played at Gen-Con; in order to solve the problem of characters being able to do absurd things with the time stream, the time-travelling is entirely controlled by the gamemaster for the sake of creating interesting scenes. It basically wins the award for "best creation of verisimilitude for dramatic rescues," as I was nearly killed in three out of the four "jumps" we ran, but it actually felt totally awesome instead of cheesy every time (because you have no idea how/why you are jumping through time, so it makes just as much sense as any other potential explanation that "whatever being is controlling it wants you to survive").

That said, the system is not stellar, though it actually has some pretty innovative aspects, and it is certainly not so clumsy that it gets in your way.

If you are looking for something where the players can actually do things themselves, well, I have no idea. I am sure that is the reason no good Bill & Ted or Doctor Who RPGs exist.