Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Early 00s Morrowind rewired my young brain to wear out the quicksave button on any game I play lol

Same. I play a lot of RPGs and am quick saving every few steps, after every battle, every choice and every quest. It’s second nature to me at this point, and that came directly from playing Morrowind in 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've played enough old FPS games to spontaneously mash quick save before every corner.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Jack B Nimble posted:

I know it's not TR's fault, but I walked for fifteen real life minutes on a quest that culminated in a fight in a guildhall and the FIRST THING I said to myself was "now. Don't accidentally hit a guild member". First swing, kicked out of guild, crime reported. I hadn't saved.

like that time i did the quest where you have to walk across the goddamn planet without talking and i thought to myself "finally, now i may rest in this bed, which is surely ok for me to do"

[ Your Crimes Have Been Reported ] "N'WAH!" [ You Have Been Expelled ]

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've played enough old FPS games to spontaneously mash quick save before every corner.

Yeah it was half-life for child-me that really drilled it in

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, it was the not saving that really frustrated me, I'd even had the thought while in town.

But it really was a comedy of errors because there was one ally on the ground, and one in melee, but the AI didn't like being in the relatively confined guildhall, so it's this constantly shifting dog fight. And meanwhile I was waiting there with a magic long sword pulled back and ready like I had a loaded gun, trying not to gently caress this up

SniperWoreConverse posted:

like that time i did the quest where you have to walk across the goddamn planet without talking and i thought to myself "finally, now i may rest in this bed, which is surely ok for me to do"

[ Your Crimes Have Been Reported ] "N'WAH!" [ You Have Been Expelled ]

Ok, this was worse, condolences :(

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

The code patch has an option (that I'm pretty sure is on by default?) to show ownership of objects. Definitely helps cut down on illegal bed use.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

There is a lot of stuff that is owned by various levels of the factions too, so that tweak is mandatory for me

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So it's like TFH in the console but it doesn't make signs and banners have a tool tip?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I think I've... installed pretty much all the mods I want to? Also the game's relatively stable, and doesn't tank my fps too much... Not sure what this feeling is and I'm not sure I like it tbh. Am I supposed to play the game now?

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 11, 2024

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The black tooltip when you hover over stuff is dark red if it's a crime to take or interact with it. Openmw has a bunch of settings to let you change the color or make your cursor change color or whatever but what I described is the default

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Whorelord posted:

I think I've... installed pretty much all the mods I want to? Also the game's relatively stable, and doesn't tank my fps too much... Not sure what this feeling is and I'm not sure I like it tbh. Am I supposed to play the game now?

Same except everyone's missing necks, I'm deciding if I care enough to fix it. Maybe this is the install where I can get within a mile of Port Telvanis without crashing :0

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lore question:
You know all of the slaves in tiny enclosures in bandit caves? What do they even do all day?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question:
You know all of the slaves in tiny enclosures in bandit caves? What do they even do all day?

They’re being smuggled to be sold, either to avoid paying taxes or to bring in slaves from outside Morrowind, where slavery is illegal. So they’re only there temporarily on their way to their final destination, likely a Hlaalu plantation or Telvanni mine.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That makes sense, and while it ruins my funny “what’s the deal with games” observation it also further illustrates that morrowind is a very well-considered world so I’m still happy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

did the helnim lamp knight quest and on reaching the bottom of the daedric shrine you have to go clear out, i think... something went a bit weird with the scripting

i certainly don't remember murdering 108 civilians...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

did the helnim lamp knight quest and on reaching the bottom of the daedric shrine you have to go clear out, i think... something went a bit weird with the scripting

Motherfucker killed an entire Suikoden while in a fugue state

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Yeah, for whatever reason everyone in there gives you a bounty if they don't hit you first. And at least when I played it a month or two ago a lot of them would be in that annoying, 'this person is in combat' or whatever prompt and wouldnt attack me.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
So dumb question, but to clarify: Mod Organizer 2 works just fine for figuring out my order on OpenMW, right? They have that CFG thing on the main site but it seems to only follow the specific mod lists, and I've deviated in several ways from the Expanded Vanilla list (including all the body mods instead of just the head replacer, leaving out most of the AI voice mods as well as mods I already knew I didn't want, including an alternate start mod, etc). I presume I'll still need to use the CFG thing to figure out all the little modifications within the config files.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Just started the East Empire Company questline in Old Ebonheart very funny that doing my job correctly ended up with me being shouted at. I see how it's gonna be.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dragomorph posted:

So dumb question, but to clarify: Mod Organizer 2 works just fine for figuring out my order on OpenMW, right? They have that CFG thing on the main site but it seems to only follow the specific mod lists, and I've deviated in several ways from the Expanded Vanilla list (including all the body mods instead of just the head replacer, leaving out most of the AI voice mods as well as mods I already knew I didn't want, including an alternate start mod, etc). I presume I'll still need to use the CFG thing to figure out all the little modifications within the config files.

You can use the new Plox mod on Nexus for resolving OpenMW conflicts. It's pretty good. I just use that and the native OpenMW launcher. No need for MO2.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Whorelord posted:

Just started the East Empire Company questline in Old Ebonheart very funny that doing my job correctly ended up with me being shouted at. I see how it's gonna be.

keep at it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's just like any old cop movie except reverse.

"God drat it Johnson you can't carry on being so by-the-book and responsible or the commissioner will have my head! Now go out there and act irresponsibly for once or my ulcer will kill me!"

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

V for Vegas posted:

You can use the new Plox mod on Nexus for resolving OpenMW conflicts. It's pretty good. I just use that and the native OpenMW launcher. No need for MO2.

Oh dang nice, thanks for the heads up.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I have awoken today with a troubling revelation.

I have come to an unavoidable conclusion: either 9/11 was carried out as a meme by depraved Morrowind coomers, or within the context of Elder Scrolls lore, 9/11 is considered a holy and inevitable event.

First we must look at numbers. 1 and 1 together, 11, the number of the Master. Vivec states that these are identical and asks if you could even tell if they switched places. Their interplay is witnessed by an Observer who is maimed or injured in the event. This is (albeit very simplified) the Enantiomorph. Two duelling "1" figures, perhaps crowning a skyline, without any clear victor in their struggle to dominate. And then... an Observer is drawn into the fold. The Observer is destroyed and the battle concludes; the "skyline" is forever changed.

A prominent example of Enantiomorph, although disputed by some, is the ascension of Talos. Talos is considered a "three-in-one" figure, most likely comprising Ysmir, Hjalti and Zurin Arctus. It is never made entirely clear why the three had to become one upon ascension as opposed to remaining separate divinities. Certainly this is not a requirement of godhood, Enantiomorph or even related concepts like CHIM. At best we can surmise that there was only one place in the specific pantheon they sought to mantle. One place for one ninth Divine, not three. Lorkhan's space. As a side note, there is of course a great deal of Satan/Prometheus imagery used for Lorkhan, a rebel who was cast from heaven and often referred to as a hole in creation or a missing piece. And who among us does not feel acutely that "missing piece" in the New York skyline? Did the hijackers not believe, indeed, that they were carrying out a blow against the "Great Satan", Lorkhan? This will be important. In any case, does it necessarily follow that all three gave up their identities entirely as opposed to simply taking on some kind of divine jobshare?

So Talos is both one and three. I would therefore posit that rather than simply referring to the "Nine Divines", it may be more accurate to acknowledge this great paradox, and instead refer to them as the "9/11 Divines".

Talos is also seen by some as part of the fabric holding the material world, Nirn, in place and stable. The other parts of this process are the... Towers. Magical or Divine constructs of symbolic importance or arcane power. Throughout the Elder Scrolls games, we see the Towers being destroyed; crumbling to the earth like an image I am sure we can all picture in our mind's eye. The other type of Tower in TES lore is related to CHIM. More on that in a moment.

Also consider the common stereotype of the hardcore RPG fan; a lonely pervert who doesn't get to gently caress much. Picture the hentai found on bin Laden's computer. Vivec teaches us that one of the ways to become a Ruling King is to "reach heaven through violence". Who else but a Morrowind coomer would be so drawn to the promise of being given a wife in paradise? However, there was a flaw in their plan. They did not accurately enact the Enantiomorph. And what is more typical of a fan re-enactment than to miss the point, get it wrong? Picture the popular meme of the point of a work going over the fan's head as he looks on and says "wow, how cool this is to me".

Their failure is in changing the role of the Observer. The Observer can be drawn into the battle, certainly - it is not a neutral figure by necessity - but it is not the active or decisive force in the battle. In attempting to act as the Observer, the hijackers interrupted the duelling titans and centered themselves. They reached a false state of Enantiomorph similar to Dagoth Ur's false sense of CHIM, his false consciousness if you will. CHIM is when you can turn the Wheel of creation on its side, recognise the Tower, and realise you are part of one Dream, one "1". Not an "I" or a "hole" but a one, a whole. To know CHIM is to know Love, connectedness. I AM AND I ARE ALL WE. By comparison, Dagoth Ur saw the Tower and believed himself to be the Dreamer; he saw the whole and believed it to be encapsulated within his being. If to know CHIM is to know Love, then surely its opposite, this "anti-CHIM", must be to know Hate. I would posit that flying planes into buildings and killing thousands of people is not a very Loving thing to do. Therefore the attackers reached false Enantiomorph and, in doing so, false CHIM as well. Even within the common understanding of 9/11 and the hijacker motivations, it is no stretch to say that the hijackers had deeply twisted a peaceful and Loving ideal; their false Islam, or false CHIM, could only lead to a false outcome in their attempt to reach heaven through violence.

Dagoth Ur - the hijacker - sees the Tower and knows only Hate.

And what often happens when one reaches the decision point - the two options, the two 1s - upon reaching that critical point of potentially achieving CHIM?

Either you accept the Dream and retain yourself, or you Zero Sum. Or, in other words, you reach...

Ground Zero.

So we can see clearly how 9/11 was carried out by Morrowind fans seeking to finally have sex in paradise. But how does it imply the other potential conclusion, that Michael Kirkbride thinks 9/11 was good?

If we accept that 9/11 was a failed Enantiomorph, an attempt to become one with the "9/11 Divines" previously proven, then it logically follows that if not for the Observer breaking role, it would have happened anyway; the Rebel would have defeated the King. Of course, until it is revealed by the Observer, we cannot know which of the 1s is the Rebel and which the King, so we cannot really know which of the towers would have fallen if not for the attacks. This also coheres neatly with the dual (1 + 1) meaning of the WTC Towers in TES lore. You cannot step outside of the Wheel and see two Towers. That would be absurd. If you see two Towers, then clearly, you are mistaken in some manner I cannot possibly guess at. One of these Towers must fall. In doing so, in a real world context, it is unlikely the other WTC tower would survive the collapse, given the shockwaves, debris and other impact of the collapse.

Michael Kirkbride's theory is that the planes were unnecessarily and the WTC towers would simply have done that by themselves, as due to the nature of reality, they could not possibly be allowed to exist.

This leads us to two possible options. They cannot both be true; there cannot be two Towers. Either the 9/11 hijackers were doing a funny Morrowind meme, or Morrowind posits that 9/11 was a natural event and, most likely, a good thing for the world.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I have awoken today with a troubling revelation.

I have come to an unavoidable conclusion: either 9/11 was carried out as a meme by depraved Morrowind coomers, or within the context of Elder Scrolls lore, 9/11 is considered a holy and inevitable event.

First we must look at numbers. 1 and 1 together, 11, the number of the Master. Vivec states that these are identical and asks if you could even tell if they switched places. Their interplay is witnessed by an Observer who is maimed or injured in the event. This is (albeit very simplified) the Enantiomorph. Two duelling "1" figures, perhaps crowning a skyline, without any clear victor in their struggle to dominate. And then... an Observer is drawn into the fold. The Observer is destroyed and the battle concludes; the "skyline" is forever changed.

A prominent example of Enantiomorph, although disputed by some, is the ascension of Talos. Talos is considered a "three-in-one" figure, most likely comprising Ysmir, Hjalti and Zurin Arctus. It is never made entirely clear why the three had to become one upon ascension as opposed to remaining separate divinities. Certainly this is not a requirement of godhood, Enantiomorph or even related concepts like CHIM. At best we can surmise that there was only one place in the specific pantheon they sought to mantle. One place for one ninth Divine, not three. Lorkhan's space. As a side note, there is of course a great deal of Satan/Prometheus imagery used for Lorkhan, a rebel who was cast from heaven and often referred to as a hole in creation or a missing piece. And who among us does not feel acutely that "missing piece" in the New York skyline? Did the hijackers not believe, indeed, that they were carrying out a blow against the "Great Satan", Lorkhan? This will be important. In any case, does it necessarily follow that all three gave up their identities entirely as opposed to simply taking on some kind of divine jobshare?

So Talos is both one and three. I would therefore posit that rather than simply referring to the "Nine Divines", it may be more accurate to acknowledge this great paradox, and instead refer to them as the "9/11 Divines".

Talos is also seen by some as part of the fabric holding the material world, Nirn, in place and stable. The other parts of this process are the... Towers. Magical or Divine constructs of symbolic importance or arcane power. Throughout the Elder Scrolls games, we see the Towers being destroyed; crumbling to the earth like an image I am sure we can all picture in our mind's eye. The other type of Tower in TES lore is related to CHIM. More on that in a moment.

Also consider the common stereotype of the hardcore RPG fan; a lonely pervert who doesn't get to gently caress much. Picture the hentai found on bin Laden's computer. Vivec teaches us that one of the ways to become a Ruling King is to "reach heaven through violence". Who else but a Morrowind coomer would be so drawn to the promise of being given a wife in paradise? However, there was a flaw in their plan. They did not accurately enact the Enantiomorph. And what is more typical of a fan re-enactment than to miss the point, get it wrong? Picture the popular meme of the point of a work going over the fan's head as he looks on and says "wow, how cool this is to me".

Their failure is in changing the role of the Observer. The Observer can be drawn into the battle, certainly - it is not a neutral figure by necessity - but it is not the active or decisive force in the battle. In attempting to act as the Observer, the hijackers interrupted the duelling titans and centered themselves. They reached a false state of Enantiomorph similar to Dagoth Ur's false sense of CHIM, his false consciousness if you will. CHIM is when you can turn the Wheel of creation on its side, recognise the Tower, and realise you are part of one Dream, one "1". Not an "I" or a "hole" but a one, a whole. To know CHIM is to know Love, connectedness. I AM AND I ARE ALL WE. By comparison, Dagoth Ur saw the Tower and believed himself to be the Dreamer; he saw the whole and believed it to be encapsulated within his being. If to know CHIM is to know Love, then surely its opposite, this "anti-CHIM", must be to know Hate. I would posit that flying planes into buildings and killing thousands of people is not a very Loving thing to do. Therefore the attackers reached false Enantiomorph and, in doing so, false CHIM as well. Even within the common understanding of 9/11 and the hijacker motivations, it is no stretch to say that the hijackers had deeply twisted a peaceful and Loving ideal; their false Islam, or false CHIM, could only lead to a false outcome in their attempt to reach heaven through violence.

Dagoth Ur - the hijacker - sees the Tower and knows only Hate.

And what often happens when one reaches the decision point - the two options, the two 1s - upon reaching that critical point of potentially achieving CHIM?

Either you accept the Dream and retain yourself, or you Zero Sum. Or, in other words, you reach...

Ground Zero.

So we can see clearly how 9/11 was carried out by Morrowind fans seeking to finally have sex in paradise. But how does it imply the other potential conclusion, that Michael Kirkbride thinks 9/11 was good?

If we accept that 9/11 was a failed Enantiomorph, an attempt to become one with the "9/11 Divines" previously proven, then it logically follows that if not for the Observer breaking role, it would have happened anyway; the Rebel would have defeated the King. Of course, until it is revealed by the Observer, we cannot know which of the 1s is the Rebel and which the King, so we cannot really know which of the towers would have fallen if not for the attacks. This also coheres neatly with the dual (1 + 1) meaning of the WTC Towers in TES lore. You cannot step outside of the Wheel and see two Towers. That would be absurd. If you see two Towers, then clearly, you are mistaken in some manner I cannot possibly guess at. One of these Towers must fall. In doing so, in a real world context, it is unlikely the other WTC tower would survive the collapse, given the shockwaves, debris and other impact of the collapse.

Michael Kirkbride's theory is that the planes were unnecessarily and the WTC towers would simply have done that by themselves, as due to the nature of reality, they could not possibly be allowed to exist.

This leads us to two possible options. They cannot both be true; there cannot be two Towers. Either the 9/11 hijackers were doing a funny Morrowind meme, or Morrowind posits that 9/11 was a natural event and, most likely, a good thing for the world.

Adds up

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

been saying this

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I still lol that one of the first books you can pick up and read in Morrowind has a page starting with the line "Epstein didn't kill himself"

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?
All right, technical dumbass question: how do I get Plox to recognize the mods I've got on my OpenMW setup? I put it in the folder with OpenMW but whenever I open it all I get are the base three plugins.

ED: Never mind, it's suddenly working. :psyduck:

Dragomorph fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 26, 2024

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ha yeah I was about to post sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! :shrug:

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?
I wish the OpenMW modding site didn't have it that you can only either opt in or out of the mods that are on the specific lists. I wanted to use the fancier head options because I like hairdos 'n stuff but they wouldn't let me put that into the Expanded Vanilla CFG, so I used the Total Overhaul list with all the other stuff excluded and now I'm permanently playing whack-a-mole with a bunch of irrelevant patches in my cfg file. I might be bad at this modding thing, friends.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Openmw modding sucks rear end because it's made by linuxbrains who love editing text files more than playing

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

OpenMW Modding is great if you don't want to make decisions on which specific mods you want and just want to pick from a set menu, and that seems to be their target audience. Once you step outside of that mould you're kinda on your own, which I mean... I sorta get?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just load whatever and run the Delta plugin every now and then and haven't had any issues.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I exclusively play openmw and I have absolutely no idea what you guys are taking about :v: I guess maybe I never bothered to learn or use their workflow properly? I've never been into scripty mods anyway so whatever I tend to pull off the nexus or whatever I dump into my data folder, check box the esp in the launcher and it just works? :shrug:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
if openworrind is so good how come i can't give silt striders breast physics?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I love that Argonians get their tits, scaly and pointless, from a perverted tree.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

I exclusively play openmw and I have absolutely no idea what you guys are taking about :v: I guess maybe I never bothered to learn or use their workflow properly? I've never been into scripty mods anyway so whatever I tend to pull off the nexus or whatever I dump into my data folder, check box the esp in the launcher and it just works? :shrug:

Same here, I just put things into a folder and they work, it's as simple as it would be for the regular game. Don't remember if I had to do a bunch of finagling to get it set up that way but if it was annoying I think I'd recall it.

I also popped in the Narsis pre-release stuff to just have a stroll around the city and man, it and the surrounding area are so lovely. Didn't grab what I assume are still unmerged interiors that are pending review, so I didn't get to go inside everywhere, but it made me even more pleased about Grasping Fortune being next on the chopping block.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
insect tit shitposting aside, OpenMW modding is not especially difficult, morover, you can just use the regular CS and merge together what you want, then import that into the OPMw cs and export. all good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All i know is that more than a few times, i've seen cool mods on nexus that are like "DO NOT USE WITH OPENMW," and so i think to myself "heh too bad for those suckers. Time to open up MWSE with this cool new mod that adds jiggle physics to the silt striders"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Also you still can't quick cast with open mw if I'm not mistaken