Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Does it make sense to run both NoScript and Ghostery? Looks like some of their features overlap a bit and that can get messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Does anyone know of an extention or greasemonkey script that bypasses that tracking stuff for news articles on Facebook (such as the Guardian or Independant ones) and just takes me straight to the webpage with the article without being tracked?
Ghostery and NoScript will help with tracking, and you can (unintuitively) just say no to installing the app and FB will pass the link through to the destination page, like normal.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Magic Underwear posted:

Give me a break. You don't see Chrome or IE using 700 megs of memory. Firefox is uniquely bad at memory management, has been for as long as I've been using it. They've made improvements, yes, but don't trot out this apologist bullshit, as though we should feel lucky that it can render a webpage at all.
Objectively false on a general level. Chrome gobbles up a ton of memory too. All browsers do these days. Maybe a little more than another, maybe a little less. Web tech has gotten more complex. It's a natural consequence.

It's a red herring anyway. You should be asking yourself why you care. I would be glad to have FF (or any program really) use up more of my memory. Keep it responsive and smooth. I don't need to have like 50% of my RAM doing nothing at any given time. Use more of it up!

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

computer parts posted:

The problem is that in my (again, OS X primarily but also some Windows browsing) experience Firefox isn't really that responsive either.

e: I will admit that I haven't tried making a new profile since...ever (read: 3.6) and that I can probably think of an add-on that might be causing at least a couple of the issues in mind.
Ha. I thought about posting about the UI being laggy too. It's my beef with FF and has a huge effect on the perceived speed of a browser. Part of the reason people like Chrome so much is 1) it's legitimately a speed demon and 2) the UI is pretty much always responsive. But that doesn't necessarily have much to do with memory usage.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I think the point is that you shouldn't have to.

I think it's fine as a sort of last resort type of solution, but the frequency with which "just make a new profile" is suggested (and works), it hints at more deeply seeded problems that should try to be addressed.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I'd ask yourself if it matters. Is Firefox getting really slow (or slower) because of it? like is switching tabs slow, is the UI still responsive, whatever.

Is the rest of your computer slow(er) because of it?

If so, look into it.

If everything is fine, then who cares. Especially if you have like 4-8 GB of RAM just sitting around. Using memory is good. It's supposed to keep things speedy.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Megiddo posted:

The font size is fine, it's just making some things more bold than on other FF 11 installs. It almost seems like it's making it bold and expanding the character width.

I should mention that I've only seen this on Google shopping and some prices on eBay.

Normal. For a given font, the visual display @ 10px will differ from the visual display at say 24px. Aside from size, I mean. The 24px version might seem bold by comparison.

The same thing applies to bold-ing a given font at different sizes.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
maybe it's using the GPU to render things differently on 7? Unless that's what my stepdads beer was talking about.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Using the current stable build of FF.

Gmail randomly decided to stop working on sunday. I checked it in the morning--great. Ran errands and crap. Come back in the evening, Firefox says it detected a problem with redirects or something. I either get an error page generated by Firefox, OR I get an error page from Google itself saying it "has detected a problem" and something about cookies.

I disabled ALL my add-ons and reset the security/privacy options to defaults and I still get either/both of those errors.

Anyone else?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I had switched to Chrome temporarily.

When I started Firefox up today, configured as normal (all my usual settings, add-ons re-enabled, etc.) it worked just fine.

Wonder what that was about.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I thought to clear them after I posted (which was quite annoying for a while) in addition to setting all the cookie/privacy/security options to the defaults. And that didn't fix it, so I left it alone for a while.

Maybe it was one of those super cookies. I didn't go that far.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Lord Dekks posted:

How are the latest versions of Firefox? I know I could download it and try it for myself, but its never slow to begin with, its always a few weeks into using it that it slows right down and requires a profile wipe to get nifty again, is the general consensus that its gotten a bit faster? My main gripe with Chrome is that although it really annoyed me at first, I grew to quite like Firefox's awesome bar and able to recall previously visited sites in just a few keystrokes and no Chrome addon really replicates it as well.
It's better overall. FF gets a little better with every release. You'll be the best judge though.

Also, fauxbar is a Chrome add-on that will do what you want. Not as convenient as being the default location bar behavior, but it works basically exactly like FF.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I'd have to disagree on that point. Having tons of javascript is only becoming more common, and most sites don't care about optimizing it too much. Not to mention the more "webapp" type sites out there.

It's not too hard to notice a difference when Chrome pauses for a second, downloads + executes, and finishes the page completely. Firefox seems to stall more often and for longer on those same sites.

I mean it's kind of splitting hairs, they are both great. But IMO the difference can still be seen.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Ryokurin posted:

But those problems are not always because of javascript. Some is just plain problems with XUL and Gecko, which is a big reason why a year or two ago there were rumors that Mozilla had thought about dropping at least gecko in favor of Webkit but dropped the idea due to compatibility issues. If all the speed issues were due to javascript then there should be more buzz about Opera since it seems to be consistently as fast or faster than Chrome in some situations.
Of course. I didn't mean to imply that the ONLY reason was the js, merely that it seems to me to be a large contributing factor on certain types of sites.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
One could argue the location bar belongs to the tab, which is why it makes sense to group it under the tab.

I don't really have a horse in the race, but that particular line of discussion made the most sense to me. I prefer tabs on top.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Overall I like Firefox better as a browser. More customization, more options, other things they have going on.

But Chrome wins my heart because the UI is always responsive. It either responds instantly or it's dead. Firefox has these weird laggy periods often enough to be worth mentioning--the browser/tab hasn't crashed, it's just being slow for seemingly no reason.

As a result, Chrome feels faster more of the time, so I keep going back to it. I know Mozilla will keep working on that, but it's been an issue for me for... a long time now.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I have 8 GB of memory. That's not the problem. FF can use as much as it wants. It's like it doesn't prioritize the actions and redrawing of the UI as well as Chrome, or something.

Anyway. I always keep them both up to date. And every so often I will switch back to the other for a week or two, see where things are at.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Cool, that's awesome to hear. I'll be glad to give it another shot when it's stable.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

the yeti posted:

Of the vocal switchers, I think the general 'Firefox experience' of it must be your extensions/rebuild your profile/etc wore thin for the majority.
This. Also (anecdotal) but a lot of people I know switched because Chrome feels faster. The UI is almost always responsive. You never feel "stuck" trying to do something like you do sometimes in FF. And it's always up to date, and extensions don't break as often.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

NihilCredo posted:

I will use PDF X-Change Viewer until the end times come.
Likewise. Amazing software. Plus little bonuses that you don't expect until you don't have it, like how the image and font rendering is really nice. Just one example among many.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Adobe Reader isn't garbage. It has obviously excellent PDF support, quick start up time, fantastic rendering and capabilities. The only thing that could be more user friendly is the update process.

It's just popular so it gets attacked a lot. Like someone said, most other PDF readers are just as vulnerable but aren't as publicized.

All that being said, if you don't work with PDFs very much, the one bundled in a browser is probably good enough.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Thunderfinger posted:

So there is this extension called Magic Actions for YouTube that makes YouTube look a whole lot nicer to browse and watch videos on, and it was working well before and suddenly it just doesn't really work anymore. If anyone else here has heard of this and uses it, could you tell me if it still works for you and my Firefox is just weird or does it not work for any of you as well?
Yeah, something is off with it right now. Luckily, the auto-HD, buffering, and other more minor features still work fine. Just not the extra wide or cinema modes and a couple other things.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Sri.Theo posted:

I like the app but why do you have to download it from a separate site? Is there a reason its not on the Firefox add-ons site?
It's fixed now :)

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Sri.Theo posted:

By fixed do you mean the earlier problems or that its in the add-ons library or just the earlier problems?
The Magic Actions add-on was updated (coincidentally) and everything is working normally for me now.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Magic Actions for YouTube is the best add-on for that, I've found. It works for both Chrome and Firefox.

It has buffering options, autoHD, can remove (or add) extra crap on the player page, control volume with scroll wheel, etc. etc.

I've only had it break for a few days one time. It seems to be very stable.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Well that wasn't really necessary. He's on a Mac. Just wants it to look a bit more native. Nothing wrong with that.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I use Menu Editor on my FF install (newest stable) and it seems to work fine. I mean I don't do anything too intense with it, but it hasn't failed me yet.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I don't think any of them are fully buffering now. I just installed a bunch of different ones to see quick, and at best you get a few minutes buffered.

Hopefully someone will find a way around that.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Add-on question: is there something for Firefox that's as good as Hover Zoom for Chrome? I've tried a few of the similar add-ons for Firefox and they just pale in comparison.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Shoot. Yeah, I've used that one and it's not bad, but it isn't nearly as... compatible (?) as Hover Zoom. Dang.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
It'll be really cool when they really sort of the UI lag stuff. Chrome rarely does that. I mean Chrome is also fast and seems lean, so I suspect that's why a lot of people switched to it.

I go back and forth.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The problem seems pretty random. Like in general, I mean.

For what it's worth, I use Magic Actions for YouTube on both Chrome and Firefox and I rarely, rarely get the "player loads and seems to buffer but you can't actually play it" error. I also get no buffering or player hiccups or anything. It never seems to be out of date when YouTube tweaks its player or player pages, in my experience.

It's worth a shot, I suppose.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The useful ones seem to be extremely few and far between now. Needle in a haystack type of thing.

Extensions and add-ons seem to be the way to go now.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Is there a way to adjust the width of the scrollbars in Firefox? Is there a userchrome modification or something you can make?

I Google'd, and it seems like most of the references are for much, much older versions of Firefox. Like 3.x old or older.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Fangs404 posted:

Am I the only weirdo that likes Australis? It's really clean and simple.
Seems fine to me. I have a couple add-ons that need to get updated to work a little better now that there's no add-on bar, but otherwise it's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Nalin posted:

I think his point was that the other guy wasn't actually doing anything, just taking changes made by other people and repackaging them so it looks like he wrote it, then collecting all the donation money for his hard work.
This is my best interpretation of the events as well.