Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Broken Loose posted:

What was the name of that awesome, crazy Japanese Makoto player who uses SA2 and can 100% reliably but still manages to gently caress up all the time?

Most of the good Makoto players could use SA2 and 100% reliably in the end, but the one you're talking about is probably J. Barring that, maybe Haitani? Mimora? Shiro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:

Policenaut posted:

IT'S A SHOWDOWN! GOING DOWNTOWN! YOU'RE GONNA MESS AROUND, SHOWDOWN!

New VF5: Final Showdown screenshots

We should probably get a Final Showdown thread going at some point.

Is this thing gonna have a sick onlineplay feature or what? I'm kinda talking out of my rear end but I heard vf5 didn't even have online play or something like that... somewhere.
OK so it will feature online plays. I hope the netcode is great!!

Haven't played VF since vf4:evo on ps2. I'm excited!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Broken Loose posted:

What was the name of that awesome, crazy Japanese Makoto player who uses SA2 and can 100% reliably but still manages to gently caress up all the time?

Tominaga?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swbEib-A7_4&feature=plcp&context=C49ac55fVDvjVQa1PpcFMFt_qP3YE4K95cRTgrEcBP2Xd1IfvU41g=

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

washow posted:

Is this thing gonna have a sick onlineplay feature or what? I'm kinda talking out of my rear end but I heard vf5 didn't even have online play or something like that... somewhere.

The netcode for the 360 version of VF5 was great, but it had no lobbies or spectating and didnt even let you pick a new character between matches. They had to even patch in the ability to rematch someone in player match.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

YES, THANK YOU, gently caress

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If there's one good thing to come out of Cross Assault, it's that Dr. Sub-Zero has risen from his grave again and will be doing live shows of his podcast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQTQhGKEcsg

:toot:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shiki Dan posted:

Marvel vs Capcom 3 sold less than pretty much every major 3D fighter release of the past decade, even VF5 and DoA4.

Why do people keep saying this? Vanilla MvC3 sold well over 2m, and you'd imagine Ultimate and the Vita port has done at least half that, too. DOA4 sold 1.2m, and I don't think VF5 even broke a million over both releases.

SF4 has done over 6m across all platforms/rereleases; vanilla SF4 for PS3/360/PC did just over 3m, SSF4 for PS3/360 did a little under 2m, SSF4 3DS sold a million, and then there's however many copies of AE they've sold.

T6 has sold around 3.5m on 360/PS3/PSP; it didn't sell particularly well at launch but it had a long tail life, particularly when they started dropping the price.

MK9 has sold over 3.5m on PS3/360, which is impressive considering they didn't release in Japan at all. No idea how the GOTY release is doing, but I'm sure that and the Vita port will sell well too.

I have no idea how SC5 is doing but SC4 sold just under 2.5m, so you'd think it'll probably trail off at around the 2m mark, if the reviews are as influential as people think they are.

washow posted:

Haven't played VF since vf4:evo on ps2. I'm excited!

The PS3 version was local-only. Microsoft paid Sega to add netplay to the later 360 port; the netcode itself was very good, but it was very no-frills with no interesting features to speak of.

VF5FS will have eight-player lobbies, spectator mode, replay downloads/sharing and everything else you'd expect from a modern online FG (except maybe voice chat, I forget if that's in there).

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Really stoked for vf5 to hit, I just hope the community sticks to it.

VF5 Vanilla the online community withered and died really fast :(

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I have no idea how SC5 is doing but SC4 sold just under 2.5m, so you'd think it'll probably trail off at around the 2m mark, if the reviews are as influential as people think

SC5 is selling terribly which is a real shame because it's so much better then SC4. I don't think it's even broken 300'000 world wide.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

So I've been playing fighting games exclusively on the ps3 for the past couple of years, because I play primarily on pad and I can't stand the 360 pad (I even own the 360 controller with the rotatable pad and I still find myself accidentally jumping from time to time)

I have alot of friends that play on 360 and I decided to man up and learn to play on stick. I went out and bought a WWE brawlstick for 360 (from what I heard it's the equivalent of a madcatz SE) with the intent to mod it. I played with sticks before and I can already tell this stick is pretty cruddy, but for $30 I can't expect much.

after a bit of research I've decided on this stick:
http://www.lizardlick.com/Sanwa-JLF-TP-8YT-SK-Joystick_p_260.html

I'm not sure about buttons which buttons to get, but I'm definitely changing the artwork so those were definitely going to be replaced no matter what.

Lastly and most importantly, I want to dual mod the stick for use on both ps3/360 and after alot of googling I can't decide what method to use. I have a spare sixaxis that I can pull the pcb from, but then there's people saying that I require a fightpad pcb.

Anybody have any experience with this? I'm still digging around different sites for info, but any advice is welcome.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

WeakLad posted:

So I've been playing fighting games exclusively on the ps3 for the past couple of years, because I play primarily on pad and I can't stand the 360 pad (I even own the 360 controller with the rotatable pad and I still find myself accidentally jumping from time to time)

I have alot of friends that play on 360 and I decided to man up and learn to play on stick. I went out and bought a WWE brawlstick for 360 (from what I heard it's the equivalent of a madcatz SE) with the intent to mod it. I played with sticks before and I can already tell this stick is pretty cruddy, but for $30 I can't expect much.

after a bit of research I've decided on this stick:
http://www.lizardlick.com/Sanwa-JLF-TP-8YT-SK-Joystick_p_260.html

I'm not sure about buttons which buttons to get, but I'm definitely changing the artwork so those were definitely going to be replaced no matter what.

Lastly and most importantly, I want to dual mod the stick for use on both ps3/360 and after alot of googling I can't decide what method to use. I have a spare sixaxis that I can pull the pcb from, but then there's people saying that I require a fightpad pcb.

Anybody have any experience with this? I'm still digging around different sites for info, but any advice is welcome.

If you've got a 360 stick right now, you'll want to do the following things. Buy your poo poo from FocusAttack.com because LizardLick has gone down the tubes, their customer service is so-so and they take forever to ship things. Sanwa 30mm push buttons are what you want.(http://www.focusattack.com/black-rim-sanwa-obsf-30mm-pushbutton-dark-blue-black/)

and the easiest way to turn a 360 stick into a 360/ps3/pc/everything dual mod is a Cthulhu PCB and an Imp v2 PCB. Cost you $45 for both combined.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

edit: found what I needed thanks

WeakLad fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 14, 2012

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
HOLY poo poo

THERE'S A JOJO'S TOURNEY TONIGHT

WE'VE GOT 14 SIGNUPS

WE COULD ALWAYS USE MORE

interrodactyl posted:

Next week's game, as part of GGPO Goonbats is
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Wednesday, March 14th, 10pm EST

This game loving owns. It's got stands and poo poo and stuff and whatnot and Petshop is loving broken (but that's okay no one's good enough to do all his poo poo anyway).

NOTE: You will no longer need a savestate to play GGPO. That poo poo is fixed!

You can sign up here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xig5g6jhsq

I'll deal with point standings in a later post!

interrodactyl posted:

So here's my "brilliant" system for managing point totals:

A Google document.

Yeah, that's all.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Mega Comrade posted:

SC5 is selling terribly which is a real shame because it's so much better then SC4. I don't think it's even broken 300'000 world wide.

No it was about 550k at the 3 week mark which is still pretty bad but not completely awful.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

KoF13 is $30 right now on Amazon. Lightning deal. 1:30 remaining.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

So my SEs stick feels terrible. Anyone have a recommendation for a new one? I kinda like the Seimitsu one with the adjustable plate.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They all have adjustable restrictors - you're not going to be adjusting them though because that's switching between 4 and 8 way modes (unless you are referring to purchasing a whole new octagonal or round restrictor - both major brands can do that as well though!)

Get a sanwa jlf. Of all the seimitsus I've tried, I like the 56, but thats very similar to the jlf, other than the stiffer spring.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Liar Lyre posted:

So my SEs stick feels terrible. Anyone have a recommendation for a new one? I kinda like the Seimitsu one with the adjustable plate.

Unless you can be more specific (throw? spring strength?) what you don't like about the Madcatz clone stick, just get a JLF since it's 'quality' (as much as anything) and is almost ubiquitous.

There are alternatives though, LS-32s seem favored by a lot of the ST (and shmup) crowd, etc. But JLFs will be the most common overall, and so if you have to borrow (or loan your own) stick, you'll be covered.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I don't like how there is a lot of play in the stick. The diagonals don't always register unless I slam it into the corner. I had the Tekken 6 special edition stick and that one felt a lot tighter. It also feels like it get stuck on something and it makes forward movements hard.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yup I can tell you my major problem with the SE I got from a friend is that the diagonals are very... not sensitive? They require you to basically drag the stick as hard as you can along the bottom to get the diagonal to register, which requires a slower and deliberate motion, and that's not exactly good for fast cancels. The amount of down to forwards with no downforward in between despite not passing the stick through neutral is absolutely baffling.

It's second button on the top row is similar in that you can't really tap it like the rest, you need to depress it to make sure the input registers.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Yup I can tell you my major problem with the SE I got from a friend is that the diagonals are very... not sensitive? They require you to basically drag the stick as hard as you can along the bottom to get the diagonal to register, which requires a slower and deliberate motion, and that's not exactly good for fast cancels. The amount of down to forwards with no downforward in between despite not passing the stick through neutral is absolutely baffling.

It's second button on the top row is similar in that you can't really tap it like the rest, you need to depress it to make sure the input registers.

I actually have that same problem with the diagonals on my SE. I don't remember whether it was initially like that or if it just degraded over time though. The stock buttons went bad fairly quick, but they're cheap and easy to replace. I need to get around to replacing the stick.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
"New" DOA gameplay video

Apparently, you can set your age to 199 in this game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The diagonals on the SE and Brawlstick are bad and will not improve. The issue is the gate on the stick is incorrectly sized. You can replace the gate with one from a JLF and it will improve things but in reality you should just replace the stick and buttons.

The strength of the SE/Brawl is that its a strong platform for modding. The shell is decent and the PCB is good. The stock parts themselves kinda suck, but thats a given on any stick that doesn't come stock Sanwa/Seimitsu. The other issue is there isnt a way to do a plexiglass top, you have to do vinyl printing which is expensive and wears out pretty fast. If you want to get rid of the ugly Brawl art I would instead recommend covering it with 3M Di-Noc like so: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lopohdH7E01qzs0p3o1_500.jpg

Best stick on the market right now is the LS 58. I've never seen one mounted in a SE before but if it uses the same mounting plate as the LS32 than its possible.

EDIT: Don't buy from Lizard Lick, order from Focus Attack.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 15, 2012

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

COOL PICTURE HERE OF THE RESULTS

So we played some JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

RIP NorCal Supremacy :(

Next week:

It all began in '94
Kept on rolling in '95
Pieces fell in place in '96
It came to the end in '97
And now it comes and here we go
The KOF is here again
Nothing's gonna stop it's 1998

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
KING OF FIGHTERS '98
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Signups are here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/ejot5bi7rt

Same as always: Wednesday, Mar 21, 10pm EST. You know the drill.

Goonbat point totals have been updated here.

Our leaders right now:

Zand: 15pts (cheater)
Interrobang: 8pts (only legit guy)
Buhbuhj: 8pts (meanie)
RickoniX: 7pts (fraud)

See you all next week!

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 15, 2012

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Do you have to be good to enter those goon tournies because the last time I played a kof game was when I was like 12 at an arcade in Korea

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

washow posted:

Do you have to be good to enter those goon tournies because the last time I played a kof game was when I was like 12 at an arcade in Korea

No, everyone is loving awful at these games except for Zand and abobobama and Buhbuhj. The rest of us are free as gently caress.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
bbj is a fraud, he only won because Fayk was busy being whipped into submission by his Cupertino overlords as he laboriously dragged behind him the massive sandstone blocks that will ultimately form Steve Jobs' sacred burial temple in the sky.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

kaujot posted:

He has a shot, as he's a really great player, but I think REO or PerfectLegend, having had much more exposure to big tournament play, will be able to handle the environment/pressure better.

I dunno, CD Jr. has been manhandling Reo at almost every major in the last year. Reo had to finally counterpick with Johnny Cage to beat him at Final Round. Really curious to see how PerfectLegend does. He has pretty much avoided every MK tourney since Evo. I'm sure he's watching everyone's playstyles of streams though, and no one really has any match experience with him except Tom Brady.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I dunno, CD Jr. has been manhandling Reo at almost every major in the last year.

He did? I somehow missed those, I guess. Every time I see them play, I swear REO comes out on top. Not easily, but certainly not down to the wire. But hey, I'd love it if CD Jr wins it. His approach to the game is great, and it feels like he can make any character a viable contender.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Thanks for the stick help guys. I actually don't mind the art because I like staring at the stick and yell "HUNTER!"

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Brosnan posted:

bbj is a fraud, he only won because Fayk was busy being whipped into submission by his Cupertino overlords as he laboriously dragged behind him the massive sandstone blocks that will ultimately form Steve Jobs' sacred burial temple in the sky.

Sandstone? Please.

edit: I love that I loving had to miss my absolute favorite FG. Hopefully I can at least make the next vsav one again so I lose it disappointingly and commit ritual suicide.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Speaking of the kof 98 goon tourny, where can I go and learn more about these older games? I know the basics and I've played the games before but I never got in depth so I don't quite know how to make a good team and optimal combos and such.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

washow posted:

Speaking of the kof 98 goon tourny, where can I go and learn more about these older games? I know the basics and I've played the games before but I never got in depth so I don't quite know how to make a good team and optimal combos and such.

Orochinagi has good info for KoF98.

So does Dreamcancel, but I prefer Orochinagi in a lot of cases.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

washow posted:

For KOF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3KVgI1LvU

also watching match videos.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The SRK 98 wiki is also pretty well fleshed out.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Been asking this everywhere, but has anyone had experience with getting the new Madcatz sticks (the Pro series) to work with PCs? Mine is identifying as a "Madcatz Fightstick Neo" and says it can't find drivers. Apparently the V.S model works fine.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Do people consider vanilla 98 or 98UM to be the better game? I know they both have really strong tiers but I have no idea which one has more viable characters or is more fun or whatever. I've only played vanilla 98 to any real degree so mostly I just don't know anything about the changes to 98UM.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Do people consider vanilla 98 or 98UM to be the better game? I know they both have really strong tiers but I have no idea which one has more viable characters or is more fun or whatever. I've only played vanilla 98 to any real degree so mostly I just don't know anything about the changes to 98UM.

Both the UMs were both welcomed as pretty balanced if I remember right, but I think vanilla 98 is still considered the better game. Take it with a grain of salt, though.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

98>98UM

2k2UM>2k2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
I got a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3SA about a year ago and my joystick just broke on me. I got a replacement JLF from Focus Attack but I can't seem to remove the screws that keep the mounting plate in. All my screw drivers seem to strip the screws. I've read online that there might be some glue to keep the screws in place? I don't see any though, nor would I know how to properly remove it. Any suggestions?

• Locked thread