Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Popehoist posted:

I agree with you that the current major anime games aren't really accessible in a western context but you can't deny that it's loving laughable that SFxT is actually going to be an EVO main game.

I don't think anyone will doubt it was given a pass (as in, made an EVO game before it was even release) because it is from a major company, widely available, guaranteed (somewhat) popular, etc. I think there are plenty of people who hope it replaces SFIV, at least.

EVO has been about what people will play (and show up in numbers for), not what is 'good'. Unless the scene changed majorly and suddenly everyone ACTUALLY plays something else (3S, etc) - good luck. I suspect a lot of the BB players won't even show this year, since their game isn't a main game. Only if someone organized a huge side tourney but good luck with that since they would have to provide all their own hardware, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Popehoist posted:

I agree with you that the current major anime games aren't really accessible in a western context but you can't deny that it's loving laughable that SFxT is actually going to be an EVO main game.

EVO has had Mario Kart, Brawl and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom as main games. It had 3rd Strike as a main game when loving everyone (except maybe Fubarduck and Gootecks) hated 3rd Strike. Nothing is laughable to me anymore.

It's not bumping out anything legit that either isn't out (Mayo Arena) they wouldn't reject anyway (like Melty or PS2 Guilty) or the actual tournament scene has mostly rejected (BB). You could make a case for Tekken 6 but it's caught in that new game shuffle since TTT2 is coming to consoles right after EVO, right?

Fayk: There are EVO side tourneys for everything under the sun. There will probably be a BB side tourney. People probably won't play it over Melty Blood or Guilty Gear, but it'll probably be there.

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 26, 2012

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

MadRhetoric posted:

Fayk: There are EVO side tourneys for everything under the sun. There will probably be a BB side tourney. People probably won't play it over Melty Blood or Guilty Gear, but it'll probably be there.

Yeah. I played in the vsav side tourney last year, and saw numerous others. I just saw plenty of Norcal people on dustloop intimate 'welp, no reason to go this year' and extrapolated from there.

I more meant 'big enough side tourney to prove it should be a main game'.

edit: despite my avatar, I don't really care (I'd probably feel more annoyed about no Skullgirls while SFxT is in). That community should probably pin its hopes on P4U at this point or something.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 26, 2012

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Just a reminder that Skullgirls still has no solid release date so there really was never a chance for it being at EVO. It's not really based off merits.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

may contain peanuts posted:

On the other hand CD Jr only plays MK9 on stick and he just won MLG so there's probably something to that.

Like what?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Veev posted:

Just a reminder that Skullgirls still has no solid release date so there really was never a chance for it being at EVO. It's not really based off merits.

Since xbox.com lists it as 4/4/2012 people are assuming that's pretty likely. Suppose it's not guaranteed, though.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
Just want to confirm, SC5 at MLG was using a pre-patch version, and the one at NCR was using a patched version... right? I didn't get to see much of the latter stream.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Dane Cook Torrent posted:

Just want to confirm, SC5 at MLG was using a pre-patch version, and the one at NCR was using a patched version... right? I didn't get to see much of the latter stream.

No idea about MLG but NCR was definitely using the patched game.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Elephunk posted:

DnD: Shadows over Mystara always bugs out for me on GGPOFBA. When the second player is playing, the buttons are always bugged and when P1 hits "cast spell" the other player casts too. :(
Scuz & I were playing 3rd Strike on my comp one time, and this was happening too. I was playing on a MadCatz pad, and he had his own stick that he built. The problem had something with how he wired it I think? Something to do with his 3k or 3p buttons not being assigned or wired to anything. I don't know, maybe that'll help you figure it out but he can probably shed more light on the problem if he sees this.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Brett824 posted:

KOF13 MLG entrants posted:

xskullsmasherx69
quickscopessephiroth
If these dudes don't make top 8 I'll be sad.
Oh hey I forgot to mention, I actually had the privilege of playing against xskullsmasherx69 in the MK9 tournament. He's one of the freest people I've ever played and he refused to shake my hand after the match. Welp, that's it from me, thanks for reading my post!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Anime thing "Aquapazza" due out June 28th in Japan on PS3. I think people said this was supposed to be decent or something.

vvv yeah wanna know this

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 27, 2012

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

may contain peanuts posted:

Oh hey I forgot to mention, I actually had the privilege of playing against xskullsmasherx69 in the MK9 tournament. He's one of the freest people I've ever played and he refused to shake my hand after the match. Welp, that's it from me, thanks for reading my post!

How does he pronounce his handle?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Policenaut posted:

Anime thing "Aquapazza" due out June 28th in Japan on PS3. I think people said this was supposed to be decent or something.

vvv yeah wanna know this

Man, Japanese games are expensive as hell. 7100 yen is over 100 bucks, isn't it?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

PalmTreeFun posted:

Man, Japanese games are expensive as hell. 7100 yen is over 100 bucks, isn't it?
$85.72 according to Google, not that that's much better.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Aquapazza is fun but its not worth 85 bucks lol.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Edti: woops, wrong thread!!

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 27, 2012

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Ashenai posted:

How does he pronounce his handle?
"Skullsmasher". Apparently the X's and numbers are silent.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Spiking posted:

Aquapazza is fun but its not worth 85 bucks lol.

It'll probably be cheaper if it gets a port. Nobody would buy it otherwise. Japan has some of the highest prices on digital media worldwide.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 cabs were updated to Tekken Unlimited today, I got a chance to mess around with it for about an hour. The natural buffs for solo seem like it could be okay to deal with if you are a tag player, but the two rounds of rage just seems silly. I'm not really liking this update, a short simple combo can be devastating with the buffs and rage added on for solo players. I only played one person who used solo mode and put in an extra credit to compare damage directly and I don't think that solo makes tag completely useless, though it does seem like it could be a safer option and frustrating for people who prefer tag.

The game still seems really fun and the addition of solo mode won't stop me from playing, but it does seem a bit crazy and unnecessary from first impressions.

Edit: Okay, this update is worth it for the crazy new items.

Edit 2:

Bleep fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 27, 2012

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I hope they'll do some tweaking to solo mode before they finalize it for consoles. That poo poo is lame.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Sears Poncho posted:

What's a good place to find high level Tekken match videos? I've decided to dust off T6 to start practicing for tag, and I need some inspiration.

edit: I mean outside of Tekken Zaibatsu threads - like is there anywhere with a lot of matches consolidated into one place?

Just watch any/all of Tekken crash, you should be able to find straight up youtube links or entire seasons through Zaibatsu. The variety of characters always suprises me, it's one hell of a balanced game*

*Zafina IS poo poo though.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Brosnan posted:

I hope they'll do some tweaking to solo mode before they finalize it for consoles. That poo poo is lame.

The good news is hopkicks have been nerfed a bit. The Tekken Zaibatsu forums are working on translating the change list right now. http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=123451

Spuckuk posted:

Just watch any/all of Tekken crash, you should be able to find straight up youtube links or entire seasons through Zaibatsu. The variety of characters always suprises me, it's one hell of a balanced game*

*Zafina IS poo poo though.

She was buffed in TTT2 and was considered mid tier I think. I've never played against her outside of ghost battle though.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, the JP changelist says Hwoarang's LFS 1+4 properties are different on hit now, especially when opponent is in the air. Wonder if that's their way of nerfing the tag assault setups with it.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

mfny posted:

The Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro sounds like its worth a try and is fairly easy to get a hold of (Amazon UK has them)and not to expensive ether..

Ordered one from Amazon, arrived today.

First impressions are good quality wise, pad is not quite how id imagined it would be however.. we shall see how this works out I guess.

After some testing I cant work out what the adjustable D-pad diagonal "sensitivity" feature is actually meant to do. Being able to rotate the d-pad itself and the thing of being able to move all buttons to right hand is pretty cool though.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

mfny posted:

After some testing I cant work out what the adjustable D-pad diagonal "sensitivity" feature is actually meant to do. Being able to rotate the d-pad itself and the thing of being able to move all buttons to right hand is pretty cool though.

Go into training mode on SF4 or something with input display on, and watch how quickly it goes from down - downback - back with each setting. It's kind've a useless feature since it's not a full circle but there's a slight difference.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

bleep posted:

The good news is hopkicks have been nerfed a bit. The Tekken Zaibatsu forums are working on translating the change list right now. http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=123451

She was buffed in TTT2 and was considered mid tier I think. I've never played against her outside of ghost battle though.

Crash has always had odd/non top tier characters being used well and even winning. I don't really like to use people in another country(where the culture ensures they get paid) with no "real" job with nothing to do but play this game as my metric for what characters are considered good... especially when they play each other all the time, that's a huge factor in Tekken type games moreso than any other imo.

The Balance Niggy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 27, 2012

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Joe Man posted:

Go into training mode on SF4 or something with input display on, and watch how quickly it goes from down - downback - back with each setting. It's kind've a useless feature since it's not a full circle but there's a slight difference.

It helps me a lot on KoF tho, I literally can't do Shining Bit with Athena if I don't set it to tight because that game has hosed up diagonals, I swear to God. That's the only time where it actually helps me.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Hey guys. Windjammers is TOMORROW loving NIGHT.

GET SOME OF DAT FLYING POWER DISC

quote:

Here are some updated point totals

1st: Zand (he didn't even enter this week)
2nd: abobobama (should have more points but he throws matches out of boredom)
3rd: RickoniX (too easy of a bracket remind me to rig it against him next time)
4th: interrobang/buhbuhj (gently caress I have to share it with this rear end in a top hat?)
5th: Ghostpilot

This is part of a series of weekly ranbats.

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
NEXT WEEK IS EVERY GOON'S FAVORITE GAME: WINDJAMMERS
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Date and time is Wednesday, Mar. 28th,10pm EST.

If there aren't at least 25 signups then you goons must actually hate this game and you all lied to me.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
See you later, Gootecks. :(

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H_56CUujXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Ec6a2hFV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU-zWdr0h9k

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Rest in peace, Tekken Tag 2. I remember when you were a good game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDEtii8o8Vo

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I have faith.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Quick, everyone complain to Harada on Twitter!

No really, go do it!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
So if you're solo you get Rage and it triggers at 20% now. Yeeeaaaaaaa.

Has Harada stated why you get the option to go solo in the first place?

Toilet.Duck
Jul 13, 2006
Cleanest ever!
He said because he got a lot of complaints from people having to learn more than 1 character, no joke.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
They should keep the feature in there but make it be literally just having one character. Win-win

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Yeah, this is why game designers shouldn't listen to fans. Ever. I was really looking forward to the home version, too :(

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Maybe he should have told them that if they only wanted to play one character they could play regular Tekken?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bovineicide posted:

Yeah, this is why game designers shouldn't listen to fans. Ever. I was really looking forward to the home version, too :(

Game designers should listen to fans but that doesn't mean every idea is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
It sucks, but tournaments can just be tag only, and all they need to do for online play is let you make tag/solo only games.

I've got two Namco arcades near by, so I'm just really hoping I get to play this in the arcade.

• Locked thread