Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
Fighting games have gotten over 9000 revisions since the beginning, I don't even care if I have to drop 40 bucks for the same game plus some more additions every couple months. But that Blazblue thing is prettty sketch,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Fighting games have gotten over 9000 revisions since the beginning, I don't even care if I have to drop 40 bucks for the same game plus some more additions every couple months. But that Blazblue thing is prettty sketch,

Agreed. I'm OK with dropping 40-50 bucks for UMVC3, which has 10 new characters, a UI revision, balancing changes, and it brings new entrants to the series. I'm not OK with 1 new character with slight balance changes for the same price. It's like if SSF4: Arcade Edition was released as a 50 dollar disk, except somehow worse.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Maybe their FAQ said that but having used FM2nd before, I can tell you it's a gigantic pile of poo poo. It also doesn't get along well with Windows 7 that well, as it has some weird frame rate skipping issues.

It does have a mediocre netplay client though!

Is Mugen the only alternative then? Has Mugen even been updated? I remember using it waaay back in 2006 with Reu Kee before he died. Sucked too because that guy was a genius.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Is Mugen the only alternative then? Has Mugen even been updated? I remember using it waaay back in 2006 with Reu Kee before he died. Sucked too because that guy was a genius.

Yeah, it's been updated. Beginning of this year in fact. Surprised the hell out of me when I found out.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Zaa Boogie posted:

Yeah, it's been updated. Beginning of this year in fact. Surprised the hell out of me when I found out.

Weird. Last time I checked (which was probably when I was like 16 years old or something), it hadn't updated in years.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PalmTreeFun posted:

Weird. Last time I checked (which was probably when I was like 16 years old or something), it hadn't updated in years.

In fact the update from this year was 1.0

It was a beta for like what, 12 years?

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

The last time I played BBCS the most recent update had changed my char's BnB to work only on counter hits, and one of his specials was changed from qcb to qcf, and his main link to super no longer works as AA, AND his best combo starter was changed to plus nothing on hit.
I'm so glad 3So came out like a week later because even though I was still winning it really wasn't fun at all. I wish they could have just waited for the new game to make those changes cause I really have no desire to even try out the upcoming release now.

Xlyfindel fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 30, 2011

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Xlyfindel posted:

The last time I played BBCS the most recent update had changed my char's BnB to work only on counter hits, and one of his specials was changed from qcb to qcf, and his main link to super no longer works as AA, AND his best combo starter was changed to plus nothing on hit. I'm so glad 3So came out like a week later because even though I was still winning it really wasn't fun at all. I wish they could have just waited for the new game to make those changes cause I really have no desire to even try out the upcoming release now.

I think I know who you're talking about (Hakumen). The game was redesigned to make corner combos have the same damage it did in CS1 but make mid-screen combos require heat to do the same damage they did in CS1. Basically made the corner more viable for just pressure options - an overall positive gamechange. That and the basic balance changes. Either way, Hakumen is a very strong character still despite the changes. Now you just have to hitconfirm your attacks to decide "do I want corner push, damage (with/without orbs), or was this a counter hit so I can do a high damage combo?" Before it was just kinda "yeah whatever I'll just do my BnB and end it with a super if I got it". Less so for Hakumen, but a lot of characters had this problem really badly (Ragna, Hazama, Tsubaki, and Bang off the top of my head. I guarantee you there's more).

If it wasn't for how horribly they balanced Noel and Makoto (and Tager, but in the opposite way) this game would be a lot more fun because of the CS2 overhaul. It feels a lot less like people trading the same BnBs with slightly different Oki options you've seen a million times before.

Either way I'm just going to shut up about Blazblue

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Elephantgun posted:

Agreed. I'm OK with dropping 40-50 bucks for UMVC3, which has 10 new characters, a UI revision, balancing changes, and it brings new entrants to the series. I'm not OK with 1 new character with slight balance changes for the same price. It's like if SSF4: Arcade Edition was released as a 50 dollar disk, except somehow worse.

Sooo to summarize:

CS1 (3 new characters) - 40 bucks
CS2 (3 new characters) - 25 bucks
CS2E (1 new character and story mode poo poo) - 50 bucks

Yep the average BB fan will probably eat it up :sigh:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I bought all the characters for CS2 and barely got to even play it because nobody around here gives a poo poo about Blaz Blue. No way in hell am I spending $50 for the new one. Maybe I'll pick it up when it goes down to $10 because nobody bought it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Really, to this day, the only problem I have with BB is how they've been treating their pressure-centric character, Ragna. In the first one, his health gain meant something, and he could get some drat good damage out when he needed it. But starting with CS, they bumped his health gain down a notch, but buffed his damage output significantly, ending up with the monstrosity that resulted in 5.5k meterless damage with 50 meter gain from anywhere on the screen. Then they went full out nerfbat in CS2, leaving him with pretty much little in the way of damage, ending up at lower than CS1 levels even after burning meter.

For a character who has really no tools to assist in his approach, nor a very effective mixup game, they sure do like making it so that, once you actually do get a hit with him, you can't do a lot without being in a very specific set of circumstances to allow you to get good damage/meter out of anything.

Other than that, which they seem to have done something about in Exceed, I'm pretty much fine with BB as a game. But that's just one decision that doesn't really make much sense.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If you haven't bought a BB game before now it's not a bad deal for $50, just sayin' :)

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Troffen posted:

CS2E (1 new character and story mode poo poo) - 50 bucks

Yep the average BB fan will probably eat it up :sigh:

I need to look up a changelist then, I had forgotten about this admittedly even though I am a BB fan. I am that guy who likes playing FG story modes, so I'll enjoy that, but I don't think I'll be grabbing this day one like I did CT and CS.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Couldnt it be possible that CS Extend could still be a downloadable patch, but they just havent announced that yet? Wasnt AE announced only as a disk at first?

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
ArcSys needs to learn how to make their characters work the way they want the first time instead of taking characters apart and putting them back together again every minor revision, I dropped Millia in GG because Slash/AC became so bizarrely different from Reload and a large part of the reason I gave up on BB was because they did the same loving thing to Noel in CS (and made the top tier more braindead than mid-tier Noel ever was, good poo poo). If I was a twenty-minute train ride from a thriving arcade scene for the latest update maybe change would be exciting but when you're trying to scrape together matchup knowledge from bad Nico videos and whoever comes through town on a version that's perpetually months behind Japanese arcades it's like holy loving poo poo leave me alone aaaa

Gutcruncher posted:

Wasnt AE announced only as a disk at first?

AE wasn't announced at all when people started talking about it, the ESRB review for the disc leaked before Capcom admitted they were working on the game and everyone drew their own assumptions

E: maybe it wasn't the ESRB but a European ratings agency? same difference

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I'll just keep hoping they improve Tager, even a little would be nice at this point. :sigh:

Doesn't ArcSys have the Guilty Gear rights again? They should do their own mashup game at some point and go crazy with it. Maybe just go full anime and do that crossover with Arcana Heart like they joked about.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I'll just keep hoping they improve Tager, even a little would be nice at this point. :sigh:

You're able to voltic charge, eat their move and then immediately counter-attack with A/B sledge for 2-4k damage depending on heat. I see it being a huge improvement to Tager's options and might be his first good anti-air depending on how it actually functions

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I didn't buy the DLC so imma get it and play the gently caress out it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Among the aforementioned Voltic Charge counter leading to really great, totally meterless, damage, Tager's combo rate got increased across the board. More damage from every combo? Hell loving yes! Makes me happy to have put all the effort into Tager in CS2.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Mio Bison posted:

ArcSys needs to learn how to make their characters work the way they want the first time instead of taking characters apart and putting them back together again every minor revision, I dropped Millia in GG because Slash/AC became so bizarrely different from Reload and a large part of the reason I gave up on BB was because they did the same loving thing to Noel in CS (and made the top tier more braindead than mid-tier Noel ever was, good poo poo). If I was a twenty-minute train ride from a thriving arcade scene for the latest update maybe change would be exciting but when you're trying to scrape together matchup knowledge from bad Nico videos and whoever comes through town on a version that's perpetually months behind Japanese arcades it's like holy loving poo poo leave me alone aaaa

Welcome to ArcSys games, CS2 patched seemed to be midscreen+not a CH+no meter=2k damage, and meh oki have any one of those things congrats you do 5k and carry to the corner, hit a Fatal counter in the corner and have good execution congrats enjoy your 8-9k combo.

Have the reason I think Noel is so good in CS2 is she actually gets damage midscreen without that stuff, Makoto is good because her pressure is really strong and she carries to the corner with anything.

Then Tager escaped with only a few changes somehow he plays pretty much like CS1 to me at least.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Doesn't ArcSys have the Guilty Gear rights again? They should do their own mashup game at some point and go crazy with it. Maybe just go full anime and do that crossover with Arcana Heart like they joked about.

If only but AH is so weird as a fighter I'm not really sure how it could work and be true to either game.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Yeah, it was Hak.
I agree that it seemed to improve some characters, and I'm not really hating what they did with Hak, they changed his challenges too and #7 (i think) was pretty cool. Of course, that one is a corner combo, and it opens with a move that will never land outside of a combo, but w/e. still fun. I did notice a lot more Noels who could put up a fight though I don't know if thats because I was rusty or if they buffed her up.
My issue is that I just got used to one playstyle, and they are basically telling me I was playing him wrong and the right way to win is to do variations of j.2C j.2A airdash j.2A combos 4 times a round (even in the corners), which is really, really boring.

I didn't get any of the DLC either, but I think I'll throw my money at them via the Persona 4 fighter and sit out BB for a story arc or two.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Then Tager escaped with only a few changes somehow he plays pretty much like CS1 to me at least.

Yeah, Tager mostly got away unscathed in terms of character nerfs (mainly his forward throw sending the opponent into the stratosphere, and the additional AC repeat proration), but he had weird stuff happen to him because of the system changes.

The now universally non-cancellable throws made timing tighter on his throw combos, and the instant block nerf really made IB > Driver/Buster much harder to do, which was a pretty big deal.

Also, regarding Hakumen, I actually thought his CS2 changes were pretty cool. His counters got pretty substantial buffs, and the lack of a flash on Snowstorm just makes more sense.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Maybe just go full anime and do that crossover with Arcana Heart like they joked about.

I'm sweating.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Jmcrofts, let me get this loving straight: Miss Fortune's head functions as HP and operates as a separate entity like a goddamn stand?!

Also, she ties you up in a yarn ball made out of her own intestines?!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Broken Loose posted:

Jmcrofts, let me get this loving straight: Miss Fortune's head functions as HP and operates as a separate entity like a goddamn stand?!

:confused:
What's the context of this post?

Did they release a new trailer or something?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Broken Loose posted:

Woah woah what. First of all, where did you hear that? Second, that is absolutely disgusting. And kind of amazing.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

S-Alpha posted:

Also, regarding Hakumen, I actually thought his CS2 changes were pretty cool. His counters got pretty substantial buffs, and the lack of a flash on Snowstorm just makes more sense.

I dunno... They took away his ability to combo off j.D, 5D combos haven't made a comeback, and the other combos off counters don't really come close to making up for that (the j.2A etc combos). Is there something I'm missing?
I'll agree, the super-flash change didn't bother me. I wish they had made the active and recovery time on that and his counters shorter rather than longer though I don't think any of those really needed to be changed in the first place.
Like I said, I could maybe live with the change if it were a new game, but it seems a bit extreme for a standard update.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I wonder if people who bought the DLC chars will get anything special for CS2:E? Wouldn't mind a few cool colors for my Platinum if I get CS2:E (Although I doubt I will since no one in America plays this game).

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Video of Ms. Fortune's throw: :nms::nws:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMKN1tYknE&feature=player_detailpage#t=50s:nms::nws:

It's from Riki-Oh.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Xlyfindel posted:

Like I said, I could maybe live with the change if it were a new game, but it seems a bit extreme for a standard update.

Well, for the most part, it really is a new game. Whole new arcade setups in Japan, new games on the handheld front, etc. We just got the whole kit'n kaboodle for free on console because Arc is cool like that. That's why Extend really doesn't bother me, since, for the CS era, there've been three games, one for 40 bucks, one free, and another coming out for 50. Compared to Arc's previous console updates with GGXX, each being a full-price update, it's not bad at all.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Elephantgun posted:

Except there's the option of buying a digital version of AE for $15 (which they're not going to do for UMvC3 because they want to milk this game/genre). There has to be more to Extend than just Relius and a bigger, creepier Story Mode to justify the $40-50. Unless Extend is officially done, there has to be other stuff they can throw in [to the console version] like Jubei or something. There is always the digital download from Live/PSN when the game's been out for a while.

Anyway, Aris reviewed a stick from a new company who wanted him to try it out, and he's loving the product. You can get a dual mod for $185-200, and a guy I spoke to said your stick can come with the sanwa buttons they offer too. I wanna get the dual mod with red/lavender/yellow buttons when I get some more cash.

v v v
Capcom likes money, and knows everyone who plays MvC3 and wants changes will pay for it until they find something that makes Dark Phoenix look tame.

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 30, 2011

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Schmendrick posted:

Except there's the option of buying a digital version of AE for $15 (which they're not going to do for UMvC3 because they want to milk this game/genre).

SSF4 had no such option, so why are you phrasing it as if UMvC3 is the only game doing this?

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 30, 2011

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Schmendrick posted:

Anyway, Aris reviewed a stick from a new company who wanted him to try it out, and he's loving the product. You can get a dual mod for $185-200, and a guy I spoke to said your stick can come with the sanwa buttons they offer too. I wanna get the dual mod with red/lavender/yellow buttons when I get some more cash.

Eightarc is a sister company to Qanba. Their sticks look really nice, you can check out their site here: http://eightarc.com/

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

S-Alpha posted:

Among the aforementioned Voltic Charge counter leading to really great, totally meterless, damage, Tager's combo rate got increased across the board. More damage from every combo?

:stare: Voltic Charge counter? That's awesome. Looking at the whole change list for his combo damage has got me kind of excited for BBCSX.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Broken Loose posted:

Hang on I gotta find out if we're allowed to talk about Fortune yet...

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Schmendrick posted:

Because when AE was hitting consoles, they added a digital release. You'd think Capcom would do the same to UMvC3, but they love money.
Capcom added DLC for the original SSF4 disc and a new disc with AE's DLC on-disc. There is no outright digital copy of AE for consoles. Not to mention AE was four characters + balance patching and nothing else. UMVC3 is adding a lot more than that.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBy25YH0DBQ

MEGATROLL.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBy25YH0DBQ

MEGATROLL.
From what I noticed P1 only used like... one assist?

Looks like one character "teams" are out of the question then, when everything actually comes out of the attache case.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ImperialGuard posted:

Looks like one character "teams" are out of the question then, when everything actually comes out of the attache case.

P1 called Peacock twice and Cerebella once, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImperialGuard posted:

Keep in mind, Peacock is arguably the worst single character in the game. She has a really notable weakspot over her projectiles, and her normals aren't very fast.

• Locked thread