Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Powerstone > Urban Champion > Soul Calibur (any) > Divekick > Smash > other fighting games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Lethal League > Divekick

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
lethal league has some good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwBvPrUgiE

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Backtracking to Divekick--putting aside how forced/unfunny the humor is, the most common complaint about the game when it launched was that it turned into a parody of itself by shoveling in gimmicky characters who didn't fit the dive+kick theme and were unfun to play against. I don't think Stream ever got reworked but S-Kill got overhauled and Baz was effectively removed from the game. It's not and should never have been billed as "the one true fighting game" but as a side tournament game and a way to teach new players about the importance of spacing/reactions it ended up in a good place.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
i have no problems with divekick but i don't play it

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

quakster posted:

Powerstone > Urban Champion > Soul Calibur (any) > Divekick > Smash > other fighting games that people put on a pedestal because anime

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

quakster posted:

Powerstone > Urban Champion > Soul Calibur (any) > Divekick > Smash > other fighting games
I played Power Stone again a few months ago. Rose tinted glasses made the disappointment of that game so much worse.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

quakster posted:

Bloodline Champions, the original isometric team-based fighting game.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
all fighting games are actually terrible and we're all just kidding ourselves

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Mio Bison posted:

Shoutouts to the FGC herd mentality for guaranteeing that Divekick and SFxT would stay dead regardless of whether the devs fixed the legitimate gameplay problems identified in the launch version.

are you actually saying here that SFxT eventually became good? I can't tell with the wording of this weird sentence. Anyway, I just wanted to say that SFxT never ever became a good game and that game deserved much worse than it got when it was released.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

much better games than SFxT have gotten completely abandoned. like karnov's revenge. please pick a better hill to die on.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

everythingWasBees posted:

Lethal League > Divekick

I don't have it in me to play it as much as I did Divekick but I agree, Lethal League is really loving cool.

Me and a friend were playing it and we completely blew our minds when we noticed the timer at the bottom, got some cool rallies going after that. But sometimes our balls were launching straight away, timer maxing out immediately and we wondered what was up with that. Then we discovered that the strength of bunting was that it launches the ball immediately after being hit if you strike it while it's purple. But if you can predict the other guy will go for a bunt, you can make the move first and steal their bunt because the ball returns to neutral and immediately nail them with an instantly launching ball.

the game became really loving fun after that, all about the yomi of bunt or not-bunt and playing games by launching the ball at unexpected angles or loving up their timing by delaying usage of your special.

It is the kind of game I really appreciate.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Question Mark Mound posted:

I played Power Stone again a few months ago. Rose tinted glasses made the disappointment of that game so much worse.

Last time I played Powerstone was last Christmas and unless Capcom has patched it since then it is still an awesome game (and needs a PC port pronto)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

much better games than SFxT have gotten completely abandoned. like karnov's revenge. please pick a better hill to die on.
SamSho. loving SamSho is the hill I will die on.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Babylon Astronaut posted:

SamSho. loving SamSho is the hill I will die on.

I could really use a new SamSho. Slow game with no combos and a bunch of long-range pokes? That hole was made for me.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Dias posted:

That hole was made for me.

So you'll be unable to escape playing it, and come out the other side as an inhuman monstrosity? Sounds about right.

I don't know much about SamSho but all the characters kind of look the same to me. Except Kusaregedo, he's cool.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Dias posted:

I could really use a new SamSho. Slow game with no combos and a bunch of long-range pokes? That hole was made for me.

theres plenty of combos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Redmark posted:

I don't know much about SamSho but all the characters kind of look the same to me. Except Kusaregedo, he's cool.
how dare you disrespect nakoruru, and also the two other characters that look exactly like nakoruru

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Mio Bison posted:

Glancing at your post history I gather this is the most complicated thought you're capable of forming about fighting games. Keep at it!

Top Players bandwagoning behind whatever gets them prize pools is a real problem, gently caress them. The first version of SFxT had some good ideas but it wasn't fun to play "correctly" and people who pushed it after the first month should feel bad. Post-patch its problems are no more serious than AE2012's and there are a lot of nice things to say about it. Opening people up with mixup characters (and there are a lot of mixup characters) is fun with big rewards for good reads, combos/labbing are more interesting than SF4, the game strikes a good balance between beginner accessibility and advanced combos, meter/partner management are interesting and online is incomparably better. On the flip side there's no doubt that gems are boring, the artistic direction sucks, the music is grating and some of the top tiers are too dominant at midrange for bad reasons (big combos off of great normals) which can grind the game down to a halt. Also even though 2013 had some good tournament showings I think it's more fun to play than it is to watch which is a legitimate problem in the streaming era. Still, the degree to which it's vilified makes no sense and mostly reeks of '09ers making GBS threads on a game they don't play because '09ers don't play games.

I am not an '09er and I didn't follow the "pro" level of SFxT except for watching like 15 minutes of that show where Aris got into trouble.

Marvel 3 has a ton of problems and you can tear it to shreds if you try to get academic about it but it's just alot of fun to play, at any level. It's just a really fun video game. I mean, if you load up arcade mode, don't know much about the game, it is still just a fun game to do combos and beat people up. This is a really obvious thing but we forget it because everyone is obsessed now with the pro scene.

SFxT is just absolutely not fun. Seriously go try to run through the arcade mode without getting bored to loving tears. It just feels awkward, herky-jerky, and wrong.

You don't get the to the part where people are complaining about midrange dominance of this tier or whatever because nobody wants to play that game, because the game isn't coherent or fun to play. I don't really care if it is technically great because of the balance between um whatever management stuff you are talking about.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Spermgod posted:

theres plenty of combos

Look, if it's less than four attacks it's barely a combo.

Redmark posted:

SamSho has some creative designs, but it also has a ton of variations on the "samurai dude" character. The only cool samurai dude is Ukyo anyway.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Dias posted:

Look, if it's less than four attacks it's barely a combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRWLKT0RH0s

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I still play SFxT occasionally on my Vita but only because King's tag in combo is like 3 jumping knees and a powerbomb, but yeah it gets boring after a couple of matches. SFxT was like a perfect mix of boring, ugly, and pay 2 win.

Just pre-ordered that GGXrd TE2 from Madcatz and Xrd LE from Amazon. The only fighting games on the PS4 now and in the near future are Injustice, Xrd, and MKX right? Hoping for an Ultra port since I don't have my PS3 anymore.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

40 OZ posted:

SFxT is just absolutely not fun. Seriously go try to run through the arcade mode without getting bored to loving tears. It just feels awkward, herky-jerky, and wrong.

You don't get the to the part where people are complaining about midrange dominance of this tier or whatever because nobody wants to play that game, because the game isn't coherent or fun to play. I don't really care if it is technically great because of the balance between um whatever management stuff you are talking about.

Yeah it's pretty much this. SFxT zealots would defend the game by saying "b-but you're playing it wrong!", but that's SFxT's "catch 22": it's just not fun to learn and git gud. Even worse, even if you do get good the pace of the game doesn't magically improve, at best you just have a good grasp of risk/reward and act accordingly.

I played SFxT vanilla only because of scramble mode and Ryu/Ken was braindead easy competitively, you basically ignore anti-airs and zoning at all times. It was a fun gimmick but it got old pretty quick. Post patch was just mind numbingly boring.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
I'd rather play SFxT until the end of days than touch Marvel again so uh... to each their own. It's a moot point to me, I had a lot of fun figuring out Lili/Dudley early this year but I don't like SFxT enough to join the handful of people trying to keep it on life support!

My beef is with people who hear other people talking poo poo about a game and regurgitate it when they don't know the first loving thing about how it actually plays. I've had way too many conversations with random FGC dudes at events where someone will casually drop "X game sucks", I ask them who they played in it and the answer I get is "I never played that game because it sucks". SFxT and SF4 are slow, KI has combo breakers, Divekick is a dumb Flash game, Superman ruined Injustice, Kokonoe ruined CP, I'd play 3S if it didn't have Chun, Vega wall dives waah, Tekken is homogenous and VF is way too hard, so that's why I don't play anything, right? FGC's ability to poo poo on games they don't play is unparalleled.

E: I forgot Melty 2A, shame too strong to live, turning in my badge and gun

Mio Bison fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 23, 2014

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

The entire soundtrack is sick as poo poo, but you made the best choice anyway

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Mio Bison posted:

I'd rather play SFxT until the end of days than touch Marvel again so uh... to each their own. It's a moot point to me, I had a lot of fun figuring out Lili/Dudley early this year but I don't like SFxT enough to join the handful of people trying to keep it on life support!

My beef is with people who hear other people talking poo poo about a game and regurgitate it when they don't know the first loving thing about how it actually plays. I've had way too many conversations with random FGC dudes at events where someone will casually drop "X game sucks", I ask them who they played in it and the answer I get is "I never played that game because it sucks". SFxT and SF4 are slow, KI has combo breakers, Divekick is a dumb Flash game, Superman ruined Injustice, Kokonoe ruined CP, I'd play 3S if it didn't have Chun, Vega wall dives waah, Tekken is homogenous and VF is way too hard, so that's why I don't play anything, right? FGC's ability to poo poo on games they don't play is unparalleled.

E: I forgot Melty 2A, shame too strong to live, turning in my badge and gun

Well yeah I would rather play neither, and I regret playing SFxT in retrospect (except scramble mode)

IDK why it would bother you that people regurgitate SFxT_unreasons.txt in particular. poo poo sucks, you don't need to write a thesis on why that's the case. If it's because it develops a "bad rep" or something (lol) call it a kusoge or something, it sounds more endearing and people are into playing those anyway.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The problem with SFxT that was never fixed is that nearly every character is super threatening at mid range and the combination of awful walk speeds, huge stages, horrible throw range/speed, and ability for every character to mindlessly buffer into 300-400 damage means people sit just outside mid range and don't do anything because the risk/reward of actually being brave in footsies is all hosed up. The only reason every round didn't end in timeout is because people took huge risks from behind since they knew they'd just get timed out otherwise.

It ends up being like high level 3s except for much simpler/worse reasons that manifest themselves at much lower levels of play. I guess SFxT can be fun if you play really bad characters or are bad at the game. The only fun part of the game is doing combos but you have to play the rest of the game to get to that, or just sit in training mode.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Brosnan posted:

At least some bad games are fun. Not DOA though.

Still more fun and better than Divekick.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Question Mark Mound posted:

It's basically Smash but with 3D movement. Obviously, there's room for improvement 15 years down the road.

I'd also recommend Outfoxies (arcade game) and Poy Poy 2 (PSX).

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pOUKwoO70

So good.

quakster fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 23, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
i'm more a poy poy 1 man myself

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

uncleKitchener posted:

Still more fun and better than Divekick.

i dont like either but divekick is more fun

doa has the worst button feel of any fighting game ive played in a long time sfxt has better button feel. thats depressing.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i dont like either but divekick is more fun

doa has the worst button feel of any fighting game ive played in a long time sfxt has better button feel. thats depressing.

Blame Itagaki and alcohol abuse.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

uncleKitchener posted:

Blame Itagaki and alcohol abuse.

The hits look incredibly feeble, maybe its the lack of effects/histparks.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
:siren: DOA Last Round has been rated by the ESRB for the PC http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=33752&Title=

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Yay!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Now, all we need is Tekken 7 on PC to claim the PC master race supreme.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

uncleKitchener posted:

Now, all we need is a new Virtua Fighter on PC to claim the PC master race supreme.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

uncleKitchener posted:

Now, all we need is Tekken 7 on PC to claim the PC master race supreme.

Pretty sure this was already confirmed.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

quote:

Most female fighters are dressed in revealing outfits (large amounts of cleavage); their breasts frequently jiggle while standing or fighting. Some bikini-style costumes (with narrow strips of cloth) barely cover fighters' bodies, exposing large amounts of breasts/buttocks; one hologram-like figure appears to be nude—though her reflective skin obscures any discernible details (i.e., nipples or genitalia). In some sequences, players have the ability to zoom in on female fighters' cleavage and/or posterior and take pictures.

I will purchase this video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thank you Japan, for this glorious bounty which we are about to receive.

• Locked thread