Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

WarEternal posted:

Also, that was in "diamond" tier of ranked, which I think is probably the step before the last rank? Anyway, I'm glad I got an invite last night and will have fun trying it out today. Even if it's just fun for a week or two I'm happy. It's free, it's alpha.

edit: Hahaha, watching even further on, it's hilarious how he actually knows some terms like "auto correct DP" but doesn't understand what they actually mean. This is your typical stream monster. This guy was partnered on Twitch, amazing.

Complaining about auto correct DP in a fighting game where the DP doesn't require a directional input, next level scrub.

That guy should lose his twitch partnership just for the suicide option select comment, lol. Also, any tier can get matched up with any tier (not sure if that's intentional, I personally don't mind it), and being in diamond tier could also mean you just grinded a shitload while still being a fundamentally lovely player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
"Not only does this game suck but it also has pathetic rage quitters"
:ironicat:

Signing up for this as soon as I get out of work.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

teagone posted:

That guy should lose his twitch partnership just for the suicide option select comment, lol. Also, any tier can get matched up with any tier (not sure if that's intentional, I personally don't mind it), and being in diamond tier could also mean you just grinded a shitload while still being a fundamentally lovely player.

Right, I thought you lose ranking if you lose matches? I assumed he got there because most of the other people playing right now are bad. I think he actually deleted his twitch channel or something.

Bamford Brownstone posted:

The "rage quitting" a majority of the time right now is actually a bug that disconnects players between rounds. The guy in the video actually did ragequit, though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

WarEternal posted:

Right, I thought you lose ranking if you lose matches? I assumed he got there because most of the other people playing right now are bad. I think he actually deleted his twitch channel or something.

Yeah you lose points(?) for losses, but you're right, we can assume he made it all the way to diamond tier by getting matched up with people who literally just got into the alpha and against people who are bad who are grinding, doing the same thing.

[edit] Also yeah, he totally deleted his twitch page. Bahahah.

[edit 2] I think he deleted all his social media pages too. Google was kind enough to cache his twitter so you can catch a glimpse of the dude's meltdown online. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uxuxjDbW_JgJ:https://twitter.com/spherax92+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 31, 2015

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
He ain't wrong that everyone in the FGC is a weeaboo tho

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
This is what happens when you try to attract people from outside the community

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I honestly didn't think it would get better than SFV not working but I was wrong

Very wrong. V Wrong even

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I know Rising Thunder isn't execution heavy, but as a scrub tier player myself, me being able to discover and pull off a combo like this: https://vid.me/d46A is very satisfying. Now to try and land that in a match!

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Ventana posted:

He ain't wrong that everyone in the FGC is a weeaboo tho

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So I found an old WWE Brawlstick or wtv it's called. I think it's by Mad Catz?

Anyways, I remember reading somewhere that it can easily be upgraded with higher quality components. I'm interested in changing mainly the joystick, but perhaps also the buttons.

What components would fit inside of it? I'd like a stick with an octagon gate (I know it's probably not the best, but I enjoy the feedback it provides).

Anyone have a link, preferably a site that ships to Canada

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Watching idiots turn into babies is exactly the reason why I play fighting games.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Duro posted:

Anyways, I remember reading somewhere that it can easily be upgraded with higher quality components. I'm interested in changing mainly the joystick, but perhaps also the buttons.

What components would fit inside of it? I'd like a stick with an octagon gate (I know it's probably not the best, but I enjoy the feedback it provides).

http://focusattack.com

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
FYI Broken Loose link combos in this game are really easy. I think there's an input buffer, it might even be bigger than SF5's.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Duro posted:

The exact parts you want:

Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT: http://www.canadianjoysticks.com/sanwa-denshi-jlf-tp-8yt-joystick/

Octagonal gate: http://www.canadianjoysticks.com/sanwa-denshi-gt-y-octagonal-restrictor-gate/

Sanwa ball tops (or you can reuse the existing ball top): http://www.canadianjoysticks.com/sanwa-denshi-lb-35-solid-colour-ball-top/

Shaft and dust covers (optional): http://www.canadianjoysticks.com/sanwa-denshi-jlf-cd-joystick-shaft-guard-and-dust-cover/

Sanwa 30mm pushbuttons: http://www.canadianjoysticks.com/sanwa-denshi-obsf-30-solid-colour-snap-in-pushbutton/

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

MODS

e: dont enable him and, dont get an octogate dum dum

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 31, 2015

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Rising Thunder is pretty good so far, only issue I'm having right now is not being able to bind special and throw to two/three button inputs. I've basically never used my right 2 buttons on my TE fightstick so it's really hard for me to tech throws with my pinky.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Duro posted:

I placed an order with Focus Attack last week and they ship up here. More varied/stocked items compared to Canadian Joysticks, and the item cost/shipping was about the same even with the poor exchange rate.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

That Gobbo posted:

Rising Thunder is pretty good so far, only issue I'm having right now is not being able to bind special and throw to two/three button inputs. I've basically never used my right 2 buttons on my TE fightstick so it's really hard for me to tech throws with my pinky.
My big hope for the Beta would be two-button throws and being able to pop off a super with S1 + S2 + S3 or similar. The characters are fully configurable, so I don't think it would be too much pain to set some checkboxes and have these options available.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Well, I think my computer is just a little too lovely to run this game, and worse still the game has booted me every time I've won the first match :smith:

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cool, I'll take a look

Coxswain Balls posted:

I placed an order with Focus Attack last week and they ship up here. More varied/stocked items compared to Canadian Joysticks, and the item cost/shipping was about the same even with the poor exchange rate.

Ok thanks, I'll definitely take a look. I saw MKX is on sale so this might push me to order sooner.

boxcarhobo posted:

MODS

I know it's poo poo and not "leet", but I have no intention to ever be competitive with this, it's just for fun/playing with friends. I really like the octagonal gate as it's easier to find myself and I like the feedback. That being said, I'm sure it's easy to revert back if I want to. Isn't it just a piece you add?

Thank you very much for the specific parts

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Duro posted:

I know it's poo poo and not "leet", but I have no intention to ever be competitive with this, it's just for fun/playing with friends. I really like the octagonal gate as it's easier to find myself and I like the feedback. That being said, I'm sure it's easy to revert back if I want to. Isn't it just a piece you add?
It's a a part you replace. Yes, if you keep the old square gate, you can swap back.

But you won't. Don't lie to yourself. If you start down that path, you'll only be digging yourself in deeper. Instead of getting used to the standard (square gate) you're going to be investing time and motor memory in an octogate and you'll make the barrier to using a square gate even higher.

Also you should note that buying a balltop is not really optional. It won't come with one. So don't miss that part. Edit: Oh, he meant re-use the balltop from the madcatz. Yeah, you could do that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Here's a very simple breakdown of why you shouldn't use octagonal gates, much less go out of your way to buy and install one:

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Fayk posted:

It's a a part you replace. Yes, if you keep the old square gate, you can swap back.

But you won't. Don't lie to yourself. If you start down that path, you'll only be digging yourself in deeper. Instead of getting used to the standard (square gate) you're going to be investing time and motor memory in an octogate and you'll make the barrier to using a square gate even higher.

Also you should note that buying a balltop is not really optional. It won't come with one. So don't miss that part. Edit: Oh, he meant re-use the balltop from the madcatz. Yeah, you could do that.

yeah the madcatz brawlstick ball top fits just fine on a JLF

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

When I first got my HRAP-EX a few years ago I put an octo gate on it because I liked how it felt like Nintendo's analog sticks (Which is why I preferred the NGC version of Soul Calibur 2 compared to the others). I dug it out of the closet after watching Evo a few weeks ago and swapped the square gate back in while I was redoing the buttons. I'm pretty sure I got some bad habits from riding the gate, mainly overshooting and doing unintentional jumps and stuff.

With an octo gate you can get by with gross motor skills, but once you start getting better you'll be using your fine motor skills more; this is where a square gate has an octo gate beat, as illustrated by inthesto's image above (Issues hitting diagonals without riding the gate). Of course, it's your stick, so use whatever you think feels best, but as a fellow scrub-tier newbie I can definitely see the benefits of one over the other.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

boxcarhobo posted:

MODS

I don't like octogates either but I think it's better to just help people buy the parts or controllers they want if they've already made up their minds. And he already has experience using one, which is different from the usual case of goobers giving up after 5 minutes of practice and deciding an octogate will magically let them do dragon punches.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

for as salty as the man is I loving laughed my rear end off at that

Convinced me to try Rising Thunder, at any rate. Good job salt man!

A lot of people dont like chel!

This pretty much mirrored some twitch channel I saw with 1k viewers yesterday called "The Black Hokage" in which a guy kept calling another player a "human being" because he was being beaten by the time honored strategy of jump back > fireball > shoryu on jump over and over again. This chel was literally backing himself into a corner and he couldnt get in. The character he was playing has an armored dash move and in spite of the channel laughing at him whilst telling him this, he refused to use it. I'd find the clip but I can't stand watching this guy for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Well, like all fighting games im terrible at rising thunder. It is a good deal of fun and was pretty cool to verse my mate in who wouldnt otherwise play many fighters due to the execution barrier.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
According to the official forums (don't go to the official forums ever but) Chel's fireball is like 54f or so between startup and recovery, it's slower than Ryu's SF4 Hadouken. gently caress, it's Soul Spark, it's literally Soul Spark.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Night Blade posted:

A lot of people dont like chel!

I played a Chel yesterday that would not stop jumping; instead of walking or dashing, she was jumping in, neutral jumping, and jumping backward every time she wanted to move. It was pretty funny. I almost lost too, which I find funnier.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I really can't stop listening to this German guy cry over one match. The part that gets me is that every vitriolic thing he has to say applies to him. You just know he's one of the howling monkeys in every major stream talking poo poo about however else is bad.

On the actual topic of Rising Thunder, Vlad is awkward as hell to play but man he's so much fun. He even has Urien's standing fierce!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Duro posted:

I'd like a stick with an octagon gate (I know it's probably not the best, but I enjoy the feedback it provides).

Nooooooooooo :can:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Bamford Brownstone posted:

he actually uninstalls the game, which you might miss if you're just listening to him rant.

He rage quits so hard that he actually uninstalls. It's perfect.

edit: He uninstalls and loads up WoW instead :vince:

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The reason I prefer an octagonal gate is because when I've used them in the past, I was able to do exactly what I wanted when I wanted. With the cheap square gate on my brawl stick, I'd often move the character in directions I didn't want to move in at critical moments or screw up my input.

Maybe my experience with a square gate are bad because, other than arcades, I've always used cheaper joysticks, so perhaps having a higher quality part and replacing the poo poo joystick on my stick would make me appreciate the square gate more.

I guess I'd have better luck with a square gate if the spring offered more resistance rather than being "loose", so perhaps a stiffer stick would work better for me

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Please don't be the guy with the stick everyone hates using, and who can't use anyone else's stick when playing at a friend's house.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Duro posted:

The reason I prefer an octagonal gate is because when I've used them in the past, I was able to do exactly what I wanted when I wanted. With the cheap square gate on my brawl stick, I'd often move the character in directions I didn't want to move in at critical moments or screw up my input.

Maybe my experience with a square gate are bad because, other than arcades, I've always used cheaper joysticks, so perhaps having a higher quality part and replacing the poo poo joystick on my stick would make me appreciate the square gate more.

The brawl sticks have lovely diagonals. You have to REALLY jam that stick into the corner for it to work. Mine has that problem and the other people I know who bought one say the same thing.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jmcrofts posted:

Please don't be the guy with the stick everyone hates using, and who can't use anyone else's stick when playing at a friend's house.

Dude, trust me, I don't sperg over fighting games. I like watching good people play and myself, I play only for fun. I really don't care if I lose 20 rounds to zero when I play my friends so a joystick isn't gonna stop me from having fun.

Gutcruncher posted:

The brawl sticks have lovely diagonals. You have to REALLY jam that stick into the corner for it to work. Mine has that problem and the other people I know who bought one say the same thing.

THAT might be exactly it. If I purchase the better stick, I'll try it without the octagonal gate to see how it feels. It might entirely solve my issues. I remember diagonals being the biggest bitch and it frustrated me to no end

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Jmcrofts posted:

That's dumb. Use whatever you like and play best with. If people don't like your stick tough poo poo. If you don't like other people's sticks then bring your own

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Seems like if you're at the stage where you're meeting friends at their house specifically to play SF, you'll have your own means of controlling it.

We never share sticks when we meet up, but part of that is that mine is the only one that seems to get any love in terms of keeping it clean...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Good friends don't let other friends use octogates.

• Locked thread