Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I wonder, has there ever been a fighting game that has gone as design intended and sill came out good. It feels like lots of games end up being great because of factors beyond the intent of the designer, such as glitches that allow for new game complexity and character "technology" which the designers haven't foreseen. Can you design a good game or just throw in enough general good stuff and hope all those features generate something out of the code to make a deep and interesting fighting game through emergent properties? Is there a way you can ensure you get more good glitches over bad ones?

I don't know much of a thing about programming and I've just gotten into fighting games in general, so I am wholly ignorant on what makes one fighting game better than another from a design prospective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

I think so, and I'm ready to be wrong about at least one part of this, but none of ST's exploits strike out as anything game-breaking or totally unintended by the designers save for Akuma.

Just the same, SC2 has G22 (but it's impractical to use due to the speed of the input) and Oratan has walk-cancels (which are gone from 5.66, the definitive version). Fighters have more emergent gameplay than almost anything else save for sandbox games, so this sort of thing is the norm.

Why is this so though? What defines fighting games such that emergent gameplay is so frequent? Sandbox games I can understand due to granting players a greater degree of freedom but fighting games have set inputs and limits based on character abilities. It should be more limiting than it actually is in my mind and am wondering where this emergent order is coming from for the entire genre. Sure, the players can be a factor but it isn't like people are not as creative in other genres of games. I feel that player creativity across genres can be considered consistent, yet there is a higher emergent element in fighting games.

This might be all too introspective and academic for videogames though. Forgive me :ohdear:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Is there a way to hedge your bets to get more emergent phenomenon that enhance gameplay over introducing game-breaking and unfair elements? Is there a way to breakdown unintended mechanics such that you can understand how they contribute to the total "skillscape" of a given game? What stuff has lead more often to fun or more complex stuff rather than bullshit? I'm just wondering if you can design serendipity or control your degree of emergence when making a fighting game, if the emergent elements are what makes or breaks community acceptance.

By players being consistent in creativity, I am saying that players that play fighting games are not significantly different in ability to other genres. There is no superiority or inferiority implied on any player base in ability to exploit, rather the incentive to do so. A fighting game player has more incentive to explore the game, which is different than saying that fighting game players are inheritedly more creative than X or Y. This explains why players benefit for searching for exploits and emergent stuff. The incentive part makes a lot of sense, so thanks Irony.

Still, other genres don't rely on emergent phenomenon to be successful, while fighting game acceptance and love seems to point to the need for emergence. I've enjoyed many games for what they were, not what they became but for fighting games, what they become is a more pressing question. If emergence is so important, can a designer design towards it (without knowing exactly what will emerge)? I'm going from a biological perspective on emergence of traits and enhancing breeding for more beneficial traits to emerge in the test population. I keep wondering as I watch and learn about fighting games if these same perspectives can be extended to it. Can you "mutate" up a whole bunch of fighting game engines considering all the conventions, select for the best one and get a good game?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

I was under the persuasion that there was something really wrong with the game, don't remember what. Also, David Sirlin does funny things to this thread.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

interrodactyl posted:

NEXT WEEK IS EVERY GOON'S FAVORITE GAME: WINDJAMMERS

I Google it and it comes back as some kind of sport arcade disk game on the Neo Geo. Is this what you guys will be playing or did I find the wrong thing?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Always and forever, gently caress Megaman.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

You mean they owned the rights to those and they didn't use them?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

So I am using a php fighting pad and for the life of me I cannot get Dictators Ultra 1 to go through when I need it, I always get that teleport and then my friend stomps my face in. I can do the same input for characters like Boxer but for some reason, the existence of that DP teleport screws with me to no end on my pad. Is there a way to clean up my input on that pad? The microswitches makes it quite hard. I feel like I have to wait for my stick to get better control. This is especially so with KOF XIII, my thumb just doesn't want to do it.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

What is the best drunken fighting game? Might be a stupid question but I have a bunch of friends who like drinking and playing video games but once mostly everyone forgets how to play doom properly, we gravitate to the consoles. Many of them are not great at fighting games even sober but don't want to be excluded. I was thinking Divekick would be the perfect game but it isn't out as I know.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

The Dave posted:

Smash Brothers?

Don't own it, won't own it.

E: It has been tried but Smash Brothers comes with drama for certain people and the rules. Surely there is something better.

Hypha fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 13, 2012

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

This, this is amazing.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Brosnan posted:

It still doesn't really matter as much as selling actual content as DLC does, but I didn't realize at first that what they're selling isn't "You can unlock the easy versions of 5 fatalities," it's literally "You can perform easy fatalities 5 times and then you have to buy more tokens."

Now selling the FADC ultra finger puzzle token. Sure you can learn how to do it but that takes time and time = money. You can spend hours grinding it out or put down :20bux: for execution like the pros.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Brosnan posted:

It would be funny if people could buy tokens to do special moves and stuff for you but each time they use one it gives an indicator that you can see, so you know they're spending money to try to win a game they are bad at.

I mean a lot of other people probably wouldn't find it funny but I would.

Naw man, have a super cheap or free "disabler". Now you have a meta game of whether you blow a buck to win or get stuffed. Everyone loves layers of rock-paper-scissors right?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

That's Ryo, you philistine.

Oh, and obligatory: "guys, guys, if Smash has Ryu then it's a fighting game??"

Asura's Wrath had street fighter DLC, is that a fighting game?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

The Gorp posted:

I remember a reason my friend didn't get Anarchy Reigns/Max Anarchy was because it was 30$ new and must be terrible as a result.
Blazblue is in a similar boat of no advertisements whatsoever and released at less than AAA standard pricing, I think it would factor in.

I own Anarchy Reigns and I don't have the console to play it. I just look at the box and know that it is good.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Ummm...just play Zangief?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

I keep hearing that the PDP pad is built cheap and breaks super easy, which sucks because it uses a clickystick and that is the best thing ever besides an arcade stick.

I loved this thing for super casual marvel. I also broke this thing during super casual marvel.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

A fabrication by shamed rear end men who don't want to get in poo poo.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

What the gently caress, man? You're weirdly obsessed with me and have been so for a long time. When I post, you can't wait to freak out and talk poo poo or rave about how crazy I apparently am, even when it's a post as benign as "copyright laws might be more complicated than you think" or "Gief vs. Honda was a 10-0 matchup in WW." Did I kill your mother or something?

Something probably just got broken loose.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Oh my god. This thread is getting bodied. Cabbagepots is unbreakable.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Spermgod posted:

lol at how strongly the fgc rejected 'esports' but allowed evo to sell them all out anyway

The fgc is the WWE of e-sports. Heels and faces and human disgraces.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

interrodactyl posted:

BUSHIDO BLADE FOR THE PLAYSTATION CONSOLE

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

-davids irline

Low strong

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Electromax posted:

I don't understand most of this page.

It's just teenage wasteland...

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Dias posted:

Animeeeeeeeee~~

It's my birthday gift, Melty on Steam! Yaaay!

Yooooooooo

*deep breath*

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

If you are afraid to be a scrub, you will always be a nub. Just play fight games.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Zand posted:

hello. who wants to play against me on fightcade.

games i will play on there:

Breakers Revenge
Cyberbots
Karnovs Revenge (AKA Fighters History Dynamite)
Marvel Super Heroes
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Xmen: Children of the Atom
Xmen vs Street Fighter
World Heroes Perfect

I'm open to play other fightcade games also! I mostly want to play Puzzle Fighter but fighting games are fun too

Is it ok if I am total scrub rear end at all of those?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I always heard that SNK fans dislike King of Fighters XIII. Can anyone tell me why? Playing the game I think its great.

1998 never ended is why.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

I like anime and pushing buttons frantically, it is good and fun. I totally recommend it.

When is Gigamaidens out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

I think emergence can lead to balence but balence will never lead to emergence.

• Locked thread