Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Mio Bison posted:

I don't know jack about CC but I'm having a little difficulty seeing why they put a character into this game with both a beam that leads to safe meterless pressure and an EX DP that's safe on whiff and leaves you out of the corner

The DP isn't that bad because it has no invincibility at all on startup, but what's particularly infuriating about the bolt is that it persists even if pciel gets hit. Presumably they're going to fix something in the next patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

dj_de posted:

Also, Examu making a new version of DAEMON BRIDE :downs:

I'm actually super excited for the new DB. Game had some really cool aesthetic and system design, and even cribs a little from IaMP's projectile system.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Cinroth posted:

Yeah there's that Under Night In-Birth game that got a trailer a million years ago and then nobody heard anything ever again. Hopefully there will be more info eventually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eFpH_6ReWo

It's still due for an arcade release at the end of the year last I heard. The reason they haven't mentioned it much is because they're still working on the 1.07 patch for melty.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Ougon musou kyoku. It's for PC and 360.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The Melty Blood 1.07 PC demo is out, finally. Playable Arc, Warc, Sion and VSion only.
Official site, but it's down: http://meltyblood.info/?p=609
Mirror: http://tinyurl.com/mbaaccpc-demo

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Brett824 posted:

Anyone wanna take a screenshot of the default control setup for a 360 TE? I can't make heads or tails of this button config.

If you're talking about the buttons in the lower left, they're "Start", "Confirm" and "Cancel". Yes, there are actually separate buttons for confirming/cancelling options for some reason :v:

Edit: and yea, the first four are the directions, up down left right.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Periodiko posted:

I've been wondering why no wants to do this. There seems to be genuine desire for a simpler, less system mechanic and more character driven fighter, but no one seems to want to make it. The big name guys are doing what they do, and all the indie designers seem to want to make juggle-and-air-dash games.

There was a game like this, Akatsuki Blitzkampf (and it owned), but no one plays it now.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm not talking about the latest revision (En-eins perfektewelt, which is a completely different game that happens to have the same characters), I'm talking about the one that was released for PC (Akatsuki Blitzkamp) and the subsequent arcade revision, Ausf Achse.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

Blitzkampf is fun if you like playing advanced Rock/Paper/Scissors.

Until you realize that the two best characters (Akatsuki, Marilyn) have retardedly good Rock (Overhead/Low) and that Paper (Reflector, which acts like parry with punishable recovery)) isn't even that good vs them.

From either of their overheads midscreen, you'll eat 25% and get pushed to the corner. In the corner, you'll eat 40% off a BnB for no meter. If they have their Level 3 supers up, they can cancel the last hits of their BnB to tack on an extra 4-5k damage.

So you lose the guessing game and then eat a 80% damage combo once you get pushed into the corner. Fair.

(Really, though, if you just want to mash around with most of the cast, it's pretty fun.)
Calling ABK "advanced RPS" is a pretty big disservice to the game's character variety and spacing and makes it sound like you've only ever actually played agaist Akatsuki and Mary players. If you watch arcade videos those two characters are prevalent but hardly as dominant as you make it sound.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

Obviously if you have better fundamentals, you'll win because of how simple the system is, but pretty much all the good US players agree that Akatsuki and Marilyn are remarkably better than anyone else in the cast. (Wei is up there too because of X-Factor, but he's not quite as scary.) If you don't think it's true for the PC version, you're probably a scrub!

Good thing this isn't what I was arguing against at all.

edit: Also re the whole doujin games debate, EFZ is still one of the best fgs ever made, doujin or otherwise.

taser rates fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 26, 2012

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The SRK 98 wiki is also pretty well fleshed out.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I thought Jojo's was one of those SF2-like cases where once you banned Petshop/Akuma the game was fine from a competetive standpoint? Does it have serious problems even then?

It's more or less fine after you ban Petshop, which everyone does. IIRC, You have like Kakyoin as the only S Tier, but not unbeatable, and Jojo/Dio/Hol Horse A Tier trinity, then a whole mess of whatever underneath them, then Alessi and Khan at the bottom. So in other words, pretty standard Capcom balancing.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

Petshop is rarely hard banned. Only soft banned. I remember seeing an a-cho video of a Petshop player and it was hilarious. Practical 100% combos.
Yea, I remember that set. And Japan never hard bans characters as far as I'm aware. Only things that are actually banned in Jojos is the ankh glitch and multiple tandems in a single combo without a guard crush.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Six Of Spades posted:

I love that video, it's very clear and easy to follow (though I don't play KOF at all enough to benefit from it). Are there videos like that for other fighter series? I'm only really playing Blazblue at the moment, but learning about the mechanics of fighting games is fascinating, even if I don't play them.

There's surprisingly not much out there as far as general video guides. As far as I know anyways, there's just Sirlin's ST series and the IaMP tutorial video.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
French Bread put up an amazing April Fools joke on the UNIB site. Topics skewered include Ougon, Strekken and achievements:
http://inbirth.info/system.html

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Six Of Spades posted:

I love that video, it's very clear and easy to follow (though I don't play KOF at all enough to benefit from it). Are there videos like that for other fighter series? I'm only really playing Blazblue at the moment, but learning about the mechanics of fighting games is fascinating, even if I don't play them.

I forgot about these before, but Rithli's tutorial videos for Kanae, Wei and Mari in Blitzkampf are some of the best character specific tutorials out there.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

In fairness for that one, I believe the windows were all blacked out and he was essentially driving by camera. Still hilarious though, and he didn't even get last place somehow.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Does anyone know if there's a correct term for what 2D fighter people refer to as "fuzzy guard"? That being that thing where your character's hitable box doesn't move if you try to change guard stances while in guard stun.

It gets kind of confusing trying to explain using actual fuzzy guard when the word means two completely different things.

The japanese term for it is kamone, but yea, I've never heard it referred to as anything else other than fuzzy guard in the english speaking community.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Veib posted:

I've also heard of a tournament where Akuma wasn't banned but you couldn't change characters, so if you hosed up the code you were disqualified because you chose a different character than what you signed up with.

This is actually how japanese ST tournaments tend to handle Akuma, I believe. That and you get dirty looks from everyone else.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Marvel 2 is part of that whole lineage of Versus / X-Men / Vampire games that anime games were born from.

EDIT: Possibly even literally. I've never been able to find a non-hearsay source for it, but I'm told that the founding members of Arc Systems had previously worked on those games for Capcom.

This is the case for VSav developers I believe, and the timeline does actually work out since VSav was released in 97.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

For an extreme example, I'm told Chaos Code has the same thing but the buffer is infinitely long.

Not infinite, but yea, it has an extremely long buffer for both normals and specials. I sort of miss it when I'm playing other games to be honest :v:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/chaos-code/cid=UP0036-NPUB31340_00-CHAOSCODEPS3USXX

Chaos Code is finally out on US PSN! No netplay yet, but there's supposed to be a patch coming out hopefully later this year that will add it in.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

S-Alpha posted:

Not only is her shortness a big problem, she also has a weird hitbox in other ways too. Apparently most/all of Tao's good combos straight up don't work on her. Additionally, her teleport is invincible from frame one, making it a really disgusting whiff punish, her damage is really high, her chip setups are scary, and she has what is apparently a totally unavoidable (on oki) unblockable super which supposedly has 100p1/p2 for full damage combos afterwards. And there's other, sillier stuff involving Tager Super too.

She's pretty silly right now, especially for just day one. If only it were as simple as her being short.

It's ridiculous how her chip setups basically do the same amount of damage as Amane level 3 drills for far, far less effort, and she gets stupid amounts of meter for it. Makes me feel like I should just drop Amane for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc_LvoVjmZs

Look at this poo poo.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

I Love You! posted:

It's time for me to get back into fighting games. I just moved to Lansing, MI, and I know at least bananaken lives here (if you're in this thread I tweeted at you a few weeks ago) but I should probably meet some other lansing dudes if they actually exist because there's not much of a scene here for me to stumble upon and driving to Ann Arbor is hard when the heater is dead in my car.

For those that live in MI I'm poon from the Guilty Gear community, old Austin player if anyone remembers that game. I don't really know any other fighting games except 3rd strike but I'm generally quite good and pick games up quickly so if there is any scene at all around here worth getting into I'll probably learn the appropriate game to join in on the bullshit.

One of the best Arcana 3 players in the country, Greats (@kageshibari on twitter), lives in Michigan, not sure if he's specifically near you though.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Hows that game shaping up anyway? The early impressions I was hearing were all pretty darn negative so I'm curious as to how it is a few months out now.

Looks more or less the same as P4U, just with the character rankings shuffled around. Though they somehow managed to make Liz worse from what I'm hearing. They did take out some of the mindless oki, but damage is just as ridiculous if not higher for some characters.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! PS3/Vita port was finally announced, for a March 29th release.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/02/25/arcana-heart-3-love-max-arriving-on-playstation-3-playstation-vita-in-japan-on-march-29/

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

gently caress. Yes.

Thanks for the region free system, Sony!

Edit: Dang it, it says May not March! How dare you get me more excited than necessary!

Haha, my bad, the url says March 29th though in my defense, which apparently rendered me unable to read more.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

At first I was like, "Wow, you're more excited than most people are," then I realized the title of the game actually has five exclamation points.

What's different about LOVE MAX!!!!! from the AH3 that's been out for a while already?

Can't ever forget the !!!!!

Nothing too big system-wise. If you're familiar with the basic AH3 system, they turned neutral EF activation into a universal reversal (Arcana Blast), and they added a new type of super for each Arcana (Eclipse) which you can only use during EF which immediately empties your EF gauge. They also got rid of the 2F suki glitch, meaning no more unblockable resets. There are quite a few changes to character and arcana balance though, the biggest being that Zenia is now one of the best chars in the game.

If you want to watch match videos, hit up the homingcanceldotcom youtube account. While I'm at it, I'll also pimp SugoiDB, which gives timestamped links to match videos by player/character/arcana.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

S-Alpha posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC4flu-WGIQ

God drat, ASW, stop making me want to pick up Badguy again. It's still so weird seeing DI actually be useful.

That's kind of disappointing, seeing how much time I put into learning Punishment Zenia's unblockable reset loops. But what changed with Zenia to make her so good, and what are her go-to arcanas now?

Huge damage buff overall, mostly from being able to combo into red/perfect edin from basically anything. Average damage is literally like 10-12k. She has a meterless combo route from sway into straight upper followup, j.C has faster startup and j.6B persists on clash. There's a bunch of others stuff, but basically it boils down to her getting basically all buffs and some of the old top tiers getting nerfed a bit.

Thunder/Love/Wind/Sacred are her most used Arcana, from what I've seen.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! is out on japanese PSN as of last night, fyi.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

S-Alpha posted:

It's a good game, but it doesn't get play because it's in the anime airdasher ghetto. It's got a lot of variety for its relatively small cast, and the same character can be played pretty differently with different run/step/special/super choices.

The current version on console is focused on getting a solid confirm and converting it into huge damage, and straight up ToD if you've got the resources, but NSC, the patch heading our way, is far more footsie based and shifts focus away from Exceed. And, as you mentioned, for some reason the US version is bugged when the JP, HK, and EU versions aren't, and it's just totally random when it does it. Blame the localization. (Even though it had full english text even in the original HK version.)

As for your characters, MG Hikaru is rather mid tier, but has a fair number of tools, and has some really deadly step cancel into either command throw, air unblockable, or roll-catches, so he's not a bad choice. He does struggle for damage though, and doesn't have much for exceed combos. I don't know much about Cthylla other than she's an awful matchup for me, and she's generally pretty middling in the tier list. Rui, however, is pretty amazing, both in damage/stun output, and in the sheer number of mixups and setups she has. And with her unblockable special/super, and the ease which which she can convert into a 100% stun combo, she's a force to be reckoned with.

If you want match videos of NSC, you can hit up this YT page, it's pretty regularly maintained.

MG Hikaru is actually solid A imo. His biggest problem is his neutral game lacks in comparison to the other top tiers, but he hits like a truck. In the corner, he can dizzy basically anyone in two combos. NSC basically gives him all combo buffs too, on top of a bigger footray attack box, so I can't wait for that to hit console personally.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Elec posted:

I bought AH3LM!!!!!!! recently and am curious if people who main characters like Fiona, Saki, or Akane, or anyone else who has ridiculous requirements for their Critical Hearts ever bother with them in real matches? Trying out everyone, I think I like Saki and have her regular CH down pretty good but I drop the extend force version a lot. Then again a lot of things in this game seem really obtuse. Fun to move around though.

Akane's is pretty practical and definitely worth doing because the minimum damage on the EF version is ridiculous. Saki's isn't as hard as it sounds since you don't have to be precise with the inputs, you can just mash the buttons more or less. Fiona's I can't recall seeing anyone go for it, but if you can land it consistently (haha), more power to you.

The actual biggest issue to using them practically is that you don't often get to 3 bars before the end of the match.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Isn't SamSho kind of the king of really short combos? I'm not that well versed in it but I seem to remember it being that way. I just liked playing the dude who has all the playing cards since he's cool (also Earthquake).

Samsho combos are really short yea, outside of backturn combos which barely ever happen, but it doesn't play anything like VSav otherwise.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

mango gay touchies posted:

Hyde and Nanase seem pretty similar mechanically, how do the two stack up compared to each other

They're quite a bit different actually, mainly because Nanase has a ghetto jump cancel that gives her free air movement.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

I've been told Gord is the only really cheap poo poo in UNIB right now, and even then it's just a matter of knowing what you can and can't do.

No, Gordeau Merkava and Waldstein are all really stupid actually.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Reminder that Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!!'s US release is today, for both PSN download and disc.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

S-Alpha posted:

Same. Well, doing a gameshare, but close enough. By all accounts it's the very definition of a braindead game, but I don't care, it looks like dumb fun.

I wanna get AH3:LM too, but budget is kicking my rear end this month and AH's neutral is so far beyond me that I'll never get it.

Neutral isn't that hard, the main thing you want to keep in mind is that in terms of potential threat you're pretty much always at what would be considered mid-range in other games (kind of ironic considering how enormous the stages are). It's definitely weird and different, but you get used to it quickly. If anything, the people I've taught the game to have a lot more problems with understanding how clash works than with neutral.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

What was even the point of that? All it does is keep people who imported months ago from playing online with those who didnt. Was this their way of making Japan not wanna import EU or NA copies? Silly since its been out in Japan so long already.

With that said, it hasnt been difficult to get a decent lobby yet, but this is only day 2 after all.

Yea, all of us that already bought jp copies on release are not very happy about it, especially since they said absolutely nothing about it pre-release and we had to discover it on our own. This is somehow worse than when PSN was knocked out for a month the day of vanilla AH3's American release, because at least that wasn't permanently crippling to the game.

Also, for anyone that's completely new to the game, there's an old fan comic tutorial for vanilla AH3 that's still good. Pretty much the only thing that's changed is that you can hold a button to tech instead of having to press.

taser rates fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 27, 2014

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
So uh, Eternal Fighter Zero now has rollback netplay. http://www.mediafire.com/download/el1tmobq8v87vr8/EfzRevival.7z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

animatorZed posted:

Man, when I think of IaMP being an old game...

That said, it has at least one character that hits people with books, so maybe I should try and get this game running on a non-ancient OS.

That patch actually makes it work effortlessly on any OS now unless I'm mistaken, you don't need the windower anymore.

• Locked thread