Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Uznare posted:

Check out orochinagi.com for all your KoF needs regardless what you're looking for is here

I love that video, it's very clear and easy to follow (though I don't play KOF at all enough to benefit from it). Are there videos like that for other fighter series? I'm only really playing Blazblue at the moment, but learning about the mechanics of fighting games is fascinating, even if I don't play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

taser rates posted:

There's surprisingly not much out there as far as general video guides. As far as I know anyways, there's just Sirlin's ST series and the IaMP tutorial video.

Ah, that's a shame. But thank you! IaMP looks very interesting!

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

dj_de posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxAJucrzYD4

If anyone was actually still interested in Aquapazza for some reason here's a good glimpse of your future

What in fresh hell was that? There's an assist system with idol singers? What do they even do? I guess the robot maid character is rather similar to the Tatsunoko vs Capcom version of Roll, and that's sort of neat.

I really liked TvC. First fighting game I played with the intent of being good at it, rather than mashing buttons (I still mashed buttons a lot). Had precious few people to play with though. How did the FGC like it?

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

It was pretty hated outside of a few diehards like Keits and Kurasa. In hindsight it was basically a much more boring version of MvC3 that came out on a really lovely console. It probably would have been more popular if it had come out on 360/ps3 but eh what can you do.

The roster was really amazing though. Viewtiful Joe and Frank West (though the latter wasn't very well executed) were really inspired choices, and I'm glad they made it back in MvC3. Now we just need Soki and Alex too!

That... makes sense. I've played a little of MvC3 and following three characters was a little overwhelming, but yeah, definitely more intense and interesting. I like TvC Frank more than MvC Frank, if only because the voice acting was the most incredible thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LxyJXBAdcE

ohmygosh

I suppose now if I went back to it, it would feel really simple - but it was a good fit for someone like me who's not very skilled at fighting games. And I'd take it over SFxT straight up. :colbert:

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

PalmTreeFun posted:

MvC3 Frank with TvC's voice would be the best thing. I want him to go OHMYGOD every time he does a move with a zombie in it.

This dude knows where it's at.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Mr.Flibble posted:

Vesper Arcade has a very in-depth tutorial for Super Street Fighter 4
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL744144A71C67D816&feature=plcp

Jesus this is detailed! I'll devour these; thanks.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

I've watched Sirlin's videos before (learned what a crossup was. Blew my mind.); but these Super Turbo Saturdays are new. A lot more relaxed than the Vesper Arcade tutorial.

Speaking of which; Vesper was super adamant about arcade stick use. I can see why - I'm using a 360, the analogue stick of which is... aight, but the D-pad's awful. Plus he mentioned a lot of stuff about stick sensitivity that makes sense. I wonder if there's a 3rd party 360 controller that's more apt for fighting games? With a D-Pad that's separate buttons and an analogue stick that works a little better.

Edited for clarity.

Six Of Spades fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 1, 2012

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Brosnan posted:

When people say "joystick," they're talking about an arcade stick, not the thumbstick on a console controller. That thing sucks.

No, I know that. I used awkward phrasing, I'll fix that.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Hey man, I'm just going by what he spends an entire video discussing, with a few follow-ups.
http://youtu.be/PPSnsfEASPE

Obviously, it's optional, he says so himself, but I dunno it came across somewhat damning of the use of joypads. I've not finished watching all of his stuff yet. I guess not using an arcade stick is uh, a more casual option. The video notes (and I recognise that) using an arcade stick has mechanical advantages, being specifically designed for fighting games and all, but it's expensive and requires learning to use in any effective way. As such, since I'm both a beginner and casual player, looking into a decent quality joypad that does better justice to fighters sounds like a more sensible investment to me.

Assuming one exists.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Hm, the converter seems like an interesting bet, since I definitely have a PS2 controller, and the adaptor can be used for PC stuff too.

Taking a quick look at dedicated fighting game 360 pads, they're pretty cute.
Mad Catz has a bunch of SF4-themed ones, and PDP has this funky asymmetrical one. :3: Waaaaaay less than the prices for arcade sticks too.

I can see people using special controllers being a pain at tournaments but thankfully that's not a problem for me, haha. This is really useful info though, thanks a lot.

Oh and from the little I've played of SCV, Leixia was easy and fun to use, her Brave Edge attacks are simple to perform (And the moveset is hilarious when used with male custom characters). Pyrrha gives me the creeps, but I agree about her being easy to use, and the Story Mode lets you get used to her quickly.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

We were just talking about pads not too long ago, here's a link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433271&pagenumber=138&perpage=40#post401854487

Word. Looking at UK availability, the Mad Catz controller is the only one available for sensible prices, so that's good news! There seems to be a newer, slightly smaller model for SFxT. The older SSFIV models are floating around but are pricier. Funnily enough they also released it with a WWE All Stars skin, which is exactly the same hardware-wise as the SSFIV Round 2 Fightpad, but super cheap (like, 2 for £25 cheap). Funny what branding can do.

At that price I'd be less chicken to modify the D-pad if I found it lacking, too.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

mfny posted:

Had a mess around and Leixia seems pretty fun/easy. Why does Pyrrha give you the creeps though ? Also on the Street Fighter front ive heard good things about Juri as far as newbie friendly characters go, though her VO is pretty drat annoying ive noticed.

Pyrrha's problem is the whole "Screaming for you to stop" when she attacks/is attacked thing. I get that it's an attempt at an original character direction, but it's unpleasant. It's a shame because overall the creepy/sleaze factor of SCV is notably better than SCIV, Tira's default outfit notwithstanding.

Buuuut character designs in fighting games is a rather sticky topic, so I'll leave it there.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

I think having a mode that teaches you the basic mechanics inside fun minigames is a great way to learn the system! Tekken has had alternate modes before that switched things up, but they weren't really things that got you better at the game itself - so this is a good compromise. I definitely like the idea of having a custom Combot to fight with. It's not like it's being included to the detriment of the normal fighting modes.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Brosnan posted:

If Tekken Ball mode is back I will be seriously loving stoked. Tekken Bowl is kinda boring and Tekken Force is rear end (and it's rear end that gets progressively more costly in terms of development time every game, for that matter).

I forget - do the Tekken Force equivalents in 5 and 6 have the roast chicken powerups? Because the announcer going "CHICKEN" was basically the best thing. I do miss Tekken Ball though, I agree.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

I'm pretty interested in getting it! I had the Wii version of Accent Core and had a lot of fun playing as Jam and Anji; but I've only ever played against the CPU. Having online functions (and knowing how to play fighting games way better than I did 4 years ago) will make it much more fun.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

darealkooky posted:

I don't wanna start a huge derail but I strongly disagree.

Pretty much. Brawl was never a fighting game, but that's not stopped it from being fun or a good game otherwise.

There seem to be some key differences with this Sony version though. No ring-outs, and the only items seem to be super attacks and assists. I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of it aesthetically, though. Brawl took a lot of time to redesign the characters so they all looked, uh, cohesive. And here I don't think they've done that; and it looks a bit jarring and messy.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I just want to state that this is one of the best FGC related shirts and that I desperately want it.

Having little clue who this dude is; the design's pretty cool; I'd wear it. Is the guy the shirt depicts a terrible person or something?

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

No he's amazing, it's just weird that people are reaching pseudo-celebrity status because they are good at winning fighting game tournaments.

Hm, yeah, I can understand that. Though in a way, it doesn't feel much different from webcomic people releasing t-shirts of their designs. If you liked the design and wanted to support the person who made it, then sure, go nuts. Though until, say, small-time sports leagues start printing merch - I guess FGC t-shirts are unusual.

I quickly youtubed him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMBpJu6fnUM
He seems pretty chill, honestly. Dresses like he does on the t-shirt too. :3:

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

I guess people supporting Ortiz could take a page from his book and dress up for the events. I for one would love to see a the cattiness of fashion communities meet the cattiness of fighting game communities. Or just fewer people wearing sweatpants.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

It's one of the first games I got when I first got Xbox Live, but I really... struggle to understand it. And I was really annoyed that it didn't have local multiplayer (who DOES that with a 2-player combat game?). It looks super cool though; and videos of people who know what they're doing are fun to watch.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Ryoga posted:

Everyone knows that Ono will just make Blanka a VSav character anyway.

I never understood that. Blanka is one of the worst Street Fighter designs, and kinda racist on top of that. In a game of cultural stereotypes, the one from Brazil being a literal monster is a bit poo poo.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Cabbagepots posted:

Of all the Street Fighter characters to call racist, you pick Blanka? :psyduck:

Well, yes. The other designs are stereotypical, but not outright awful (with exception to Balrog, who also comes across as hella racist) - but they're at least, y'know, human. Sean was a much better rep for Brazil (aside from not being a particularly great fighter), but he's been buried.

It's a shame, since for the most part fighting games are the best at having ethnically and sexually diverse casts compared to other genres.

...I miss the minority perspectives thread. :(

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

So if you want a green mutant character, what country would it not be racist to make him come from?

A few ways. From a country with other characters so he's not the sole representation; from Dictator's made up country, from '???'...

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

You don't need to play to stereotypes to be racist - but it's off when, at least in Street Fighter 2; everyone poses as a 'representation' of their country, embracing some stereotypes in the process, and the one from Brazil is a mutant savage. Well no poo poo people from Brazil aren't mutant savages, but putting a design like that in that role is... suspect.

But I have no intention of turning this into a full-blown minority perspectives thread v3; so if you don't see it that way that's fine; I'm just sayin'.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Dias posted:

Hey, I'm a green-skinned electric Brazilian.

I don't know, I HATE Blanka, but it's for in-game reasons and I can't say I find it racist. On the other hand, it was designed on the misconception that Brazil is all jungles and wild animals, plus that was done in an incredibly lazy way, so eh...Blanka's stupid.

Sean ain't much better, because he's an American transposed to Brazil. Basketball? Get out of here, son. He's cool tho.

I guess what I mean is Eddy Gordo, stupid last name aside, it's the coolest Brazilian in fighting games. And it fits the reality, that all of us are goddamn mashers. I hated when they took him out of Tekken and put in Christie, mostly because that also meant TIGER JACKSON was out.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. I concede on using 'racist'; it wasn't the best way of expressing what I was getting at. 'Uncharacteristic', maybe.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Brosnan posted:

Blanka isn't from Brazil. This whole discussion is stupid.

'S cool man, I dropped it a while ago.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Popehoist posted:

hahahahaha you have no idea, do you

the only games you will get to play in scotland are SF4AE and marvel, maybe those shitdumpsters play strekken now i wouldnt be surprised. Me and irysa have kind of singlehandedly been attempting to keep a dying MB scene alive and we occasionally do MB meetups at his house or mine, but unless you feel like picking up MB you won't see any of me at all. Scotland FG scene is worthless as far as I'm concerned, not because of the game but because of people's attitudes.

That actually sounds interesting; what's the attitude of these guys like? Or any other FGC for that matter - I'm in the UK, but kind of out of the way of a nearby FGC, unless there's one somewhere in Yorkshire.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Toilet.Duck posted:

For whoever was asking for games in the Yorkshire area we just wrapped up a series of local events in Middlesbrough for the academic year, get on the North East forums on neoempire or check out teesside fight club on facebook. We aim to meet every Saturday at teesside university but people be able to help you out if you need a transport advice or any other questions. KOF is pretty much the main game (crazy I know!) but people will usually be open minded to play a bit of everything with enough demand

Have a hastily thrown together promo of some of the shenanigans that happened while the whole thing gets uploaded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zFX6AeeJgY

Ah, I see! I'm in York, so that's reasonable as a day trip. Will people have time for a dude who's enthusiastic but terrible at everything?

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Shockeh posted:

There's also our little crowd in Manchester - the only hype we get is local abuse, i.e winding each other up in ways we know we don't really mean, and there's at least 5+ players every Saturday afternoon, without fail.*

The only problem is everyone is salty about literally every game, except maybe Marvel. Asking to play Super is going to get you some grief (despite the fact it's the one game we have HUGE events for, like 70+ turnouts) but it's never nasty, like some (read: some awful vocal minorities who really need to remember why we do this) of the London crowd can get.

* - Except, sadly, me. Because I never have the time. :smithicide:

The London scene has been brought up a few times (as being really bad); any horror stories, if you don't mind elaborating? Not gonna be in York forever; and after that, the London scene will be my closest. I've only been to that arcade on Tottenham Court Road once, maybe 4 years ago, and there were these really seedy guys there that scared the living daylights outta me. I just wanted to have a go at Blazblue :(

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Since Goonbats is over for now; can I ask a really dumb question - what software do I need to participate in the next one? GGPO? Supercade?

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Even though the game's old news for basically everyone else ever, I now finally have started playing Persona 4 Arena regularly! Mostly that's meant story mode and long sessions with friends who like fighters but know less about the game than me, but still.

I actually like a lot of the characters (Kanji excepting), but I really want to master Naoto. Thing is, it's feeling like an uphill battle to work out how to play her right.

I get the baiting people into traps (and it's super satisfying when you do), but I can't seem to approach safely very often, and I'm not sure if I should be trying to do air combos, or if I should earnestly be aiming for Hama/Mudo KOs.

Does anyone else play her and could give me some advice?

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Sorry to be an idiot baby, but 'SMP Loop'? I will see if I can find videos of that guy though, thanks.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

I am presently in a position where streaming video is not a thing, but I have bookmarked those videos to watch a bit later (I did manage to get about 3 minutes into the Cross Counter video, and it seems like he's explaining everything from square one, which is very useful.

I don't have excellent execution, but I will look into the loop. Bit of a bummer that the main tactic of Naoto isn't winning through mindgames, but when you have to compete against the damage of Elizabeth or Labrys, I should take what I can get. Thanks for your help!

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

I got to have another lengthy P4A session. I very rarely get to play against friends for long periods, so I'm really enjoying it! I tried my hand at seeing if I can do the Naoto SMP loop, but I can barely get it to work twice, let alone working out what combo I should do that leads up to. Practice will eventually make perfect.

Still, after watching that Cross Counter video that was suggested, I learned that Mudo's really good for getting the opponent into the corner, and you can use your grab to confirm the instant kill. I felt so badass when I managed to get that to work. What I'm struggling with now is fighting against Kanji. My friend has taken to him as a main, and I often got caught out by his flying grab, and getting hit by the counter grab that inflicts Shock and removes about 40% of Naoto's life. I was of the understanding that Kanji was terrible, what gives?

But enough about P4A (I apologise if there's a better thread to talk about it in). I've been following Yatagarasu, and I think that there being more indie fighting games is incredibly cool, but I don't like any of the characters much. Compared to KOF (let alone the more crazy anime fighters), the characters in the confirmed cast are a pretty plain, robo-grappler notwithstanding.

Edit: All the possible new characters look way more interesting though, aside from English-Arabian Ninja. Why can't we have them as the default?

Six Of Spades fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 9, 2013

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

You can crouch the air dive and it will whiff.

I eventually realised that. Generally though, I'm a huge idiot and get caught out when aiming, or if I fail to lay down an air trap. My friend's also at low-level play, but he's not stupid, and has been playing fighters for much longer than I have (he played a lot of 3rd Strike on Dreamcast way back when).

Eventually I gave up and switched to Mitsuru, and things were a billion times easier. I feel proud of myself that I'm trying to learn one of the harder characters in the game but now playing as more straightforward characters feels like Smash Bros in comparison. :v:

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

I'm glad that Shadow Mode is acting in a similar fashion to BlazBlue's Ultimate Mode, but I'm a little sad that they're not complete overhauls like Shadow Labrys. She always felt incredibly out of place to me as a character, even with the story mode explaining why she is what she is.

This does remind me how much weaker the P3 characters were to P4 though. Yukari looks incredibly silly.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

There was a brief discussion in the Skullgirls thread, where I said that sometimes I want to play a complex fighting game that requires practice, and then there are times where I want to play something simple and fun, but within a 2D fighter format. And DiveKick (even though it's gimmicky) seems to fit that hole. It's in no way a proper replacement of fighters that require execution and combos, but I don't see why it needs to be thought of as attempting to.

I totally agree about the lack of graphical variation, though. I'm not sure how you could even fix that.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

40 OZ posted:

Anyways, some people don't find any enjoyment in that. I do. I find it rewarding to achieve goals and to get my brain and hands to do things that don't seem like they should be able to do. Maybe we can just have lots of FGs, and some with one button combos like Persona.

For real, I love the auto combo in Persona. It bridges that personal gap where I am only just learning the important small chains of moves for my character, and being able to have a reliable source of damage, even when I forget or panic over trying to do something with more difficult execution.

It means the games of P4A I've played (and see) often come down to circumstances where the combos are short and simple (SMP loops excepting, but I've not seen them in a proper match yet), but the matches are tense. I get less excited about seeing long combos, even though I understand how difficult they are to do.

It's not something that would work for every game, but I'm happy it's an idea that's being taken seriously. I believe JoJo's All Star Battle uses it.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Well the A > Additional A is pretty safe for all the characters, right? I'm at the point where I start with the AutoCombo, and then perform other moves to mix things up - which I assumed is what was intended. They're not super glamourous or effective, but it gave me a palpable feeling of progressing at the game.

It is indeed super easy to rely on the autocombo, but personally, I've found it easier to get a good grasp of where I can progress my game understanding from it than say, Street Fighter IV, where I felt super lost at what I should be doing to 'get' the game better, even though I really enjoyed playing it.

Really it's all anecdotal evidence and me being bad at video games, but it does mean I notice when a fighter eases me into playing it more than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

40 OZ posted:

I'm guilty of some of this whining too, though. I have the reverse problem with Tekken.

TTT2 has a loving ridiculously huge cast and each character has a thousand moves. Getting hit by some retarded string I've never seen is nonsense and it feels like artificial barrier to me. I realize that it is just that to me execution is "skill" and memorization isn't.

I think most characters have remained very similar for at least a couple releases, so that guys who have been playing for 2-3 releases don't have much problems knowing all the strings and poo poo.

For me, I'd love to play the series but it isn't worth it to me to remember 1/4 of the moves for 800 characters. If the next Tekken had 8 characters tops I'd be all over that poo poo.

Leave every bit of korean backdashing or whatever you want in there! I'm all for it.

From what I understood, even though every character has a ton of special moves, you only need to know a handful! Something that hits hi/mid/low, something that homes, something that launches and bounces, and a few moves you can turn into a simple juggle. That's like, 10-12 moves, which is pretty much like learning what every normal and special move of a Street Fighter character is.

The Tagging makes things more complicated (I have no idea how do do those combos where you attack with both dudes at once, but hey), but it's a solid place to start.

• Locked thread