Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Gutcruncher posted:

The worst part about SVC Chaos is that SVC Match of the Millennium, a handheld fighting game from several years earlier, was so much better. How the hell did they manage that?

The NGPC, for everything else that went wrong, was probably the best handheld yet for fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Trykt posted:

I really like this one, plus it abbreviates easily to a slightly-less-embarrassing-to-say-publicly "triple S" or "three S"? Which I guess would make extra sense if you guys are into 3rd much.

Or just hiss.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Did I misremember Skullgirls being announced for the PC? I just looked at the website and saw no mention of it.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

uncleKitchener posted:

Oh hey, it's this guy who screams the loudest in parties but gets the least attention.

That is some gangsta rear end poo poo right there.

Are Hakan and Juri in the steam version of SSFIV? I actually want to try and play with the keyboard.

Yes they are. loving Hakan always makes me feel violated when I lose to him :gonk:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah, like people would bother making a page for a character without boobs. Geeze you dont understand ANYTHING

I just wish one of the defeat quotes for one of the female characters vs. C. Viper would go something like "Oh crap, what did they do to you? Here's the number for a good lawyer, and this guy specializes in reconstructive..."

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Kuai posted:

I can't imagine doing the sprites for a 2D fighter and only letting the CPU use that character.

Why not? They've been doing it as long as the genre has existed.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Zand posted:

The Soul series is the pinnacle of lovely baby fighting games. It offers almost nothing for anyone craving a game with a high skill cap, on purpose. Namco repeatedly introduces features in both the console and arcade versions that create an incentive for single-player play in a genre that should be exclusively multi-player. The rewards for single-player play in the console versions are typically modifications to the basic game mode that make it worthless as a competitive game (weapons, create-a-character). I can find almost nothing rewarding about the series as a whole other than the fact that it helps get more new players in to fighting games.

Cool. Got any opinions on Smash Bros?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Zand posted:

Yes I do!

I think the Smash series is super fun! Brawl is still dumb fun, but it is not good. High level play in smash brothers has a higher skill cap than the Soul series by far. Melee is fun to watch and play. It is a more complicated than its predecessor and a more competitive game than Brawl. Doing combos in Melee can be more difficult than doing combos in traditional fighting games. Pretty much the main lovely thing about Smash would be items, but they can be turned off making them a non-issue. The other lovely thing is the levels, but the Smash community has some dumb system with switching levels and counter-picking levels worked out to try to compensate. Even then, the game is still more entertaining and a better fighting game than any entry in the Soul series.

I have opinions on a lot of fighting games, if you'd like to hear more I'd be happy to oblige.

You are truly a bro, with many cool stories :thumbsup:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Countblanc posted:

When you press it you get some insight into why you're playing such a dumb looking game. Swish.

Please, Countblanc, he had a family.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Policenaut posted:

So Famitsu is reporting that AquaPazza game is being "ported to the consumer" so I think that means a console port?

Nah, they're releasing it on Teletubby

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Ryaomon posted:

It's not a fighting game but he's already in Fallout New Vegas.

As a dead guy! That hardly counts.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Waterbed posted:

Here's an idea: Get me in contact with them. I'm a game designer with a long laundry list of fighting game experience and actively want to make a good fighting game. Seriously.

About

Circular Geometry Studios is owned by Michael Schuman and Giancarlo Montalbano in Orlando, Florida. If you’d like to learn more about us or interested in joining the effort to finish GildenTide, please e-mail us at CircularGeometry et gmail.com

(I'm not them, just a dude with a mouse)

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

The Rokstar posted:

If you get Fiveaces in the game you absolutely have to work the four balls on the edge of a cliff thing into his moveset somehow.

three-hit rekka kick to johnnysmoke.jpg

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Fauxtool posted:

I dont get what you mean, 8-10s juggles are tekken. Play something else

Im just glad jun is back in so I can do my easy mode combos

Yeah, 10-hit combos have definitely been in since Tekken 1.

I did find it interesting that the guy who designed Virtua Fighter wouldn't let anyone code a move they couldn't physically do.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Fauxtool posted:

That sounds fishy to me, Kage-Maru has about 10 moves someone couldnt physically do.

Well, I just heard that from the man himself in a Game Center CX interview, he may have been full of poo poo. Or maybe you just don't want to pick a fight with a Japanese programmer.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Gutcruncher posted:

Man, I wish I had enough free time to get things pulled off the shelf because of urine.

If you can outrun mall cops it only takes a minute

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Man, gently caress Tom Brady, we need to get our nickels together and get Wayne Brady to do color commentary for a fighting game tourney.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Countblanc posted:

I found a copy of GGXX at my local used game shop and snagged it up, but once I got home I realized I can't use my PS3 stick to play it. Are there any decent PS3 -> PS2 converters?

That reminds me. Some of you might not know that GGX2 #Reload is on gog.com. Well, it is.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

40 OZ posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmeKY5L_NMI

Let me introduce one of product, Saulabi joystick. It can be use in computer games.

Saulabi SPS-1000 has five different kinds of the functions. Feel like playing games in arcade room. You can add more excitement in arcade games.

Metal Mask Logo, enjoy fancy look of the joystick with Metal Mask Logo.

Production values of the promotional video aside that looks like a pretty good stick. If a bit dorky. And eleven frickin' pounds, too.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Gutcruncher posted:

Wouldnt doubt it, what with the games other not so subtle ads and all.

Also the Churchs Chicken ads in the story mode I cant find a picture for.

Churchs? Tell me you're kidding.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Either they were real hard-up for endorsements or else they just plain don't know what good fried chicken is like in Japan.

C'mon, they could have at least held out for Popeye's.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

AnonSpore posted:

As a one-time serious HnK player who basketballed with the best of them, I have to say that it is fun as hell to play at any level. It's one of those games that's so utterly balls-to-the-walls broken that the game actually sort of balances it out when all is said and done, because everyone can kill everyone else in one hit. There are still tiers because some guys can kill people in one hit easier than others, but still. It is probably the only game where a dude with a skillset that's like Wesker's on steroids (high priority normals, multidirectional air/ground teleports, 1 frame physical/projectile counters, one touch kill combos off of jabs and throws and pretty much everything else) has someone above him on the tier list.

Sounds very much like the original Guilty Gear, before they made the instant kills more a liability than an asset.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
If we can get away from the drama for just one second, does anyone have a decent link for a sort of "jargon encyclopedia" of fighting games? I've been playing them for twenty-odd years now and I still don't know exactly what the gently caress you people are talking about with your footsies, pokes and meaties.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Lone Goat posted:

I'd want this only if the chain is long enough that I could strap it over my shoulder like a purse.

And sturdy enough to unhook one end for use as a flail in emergency situations

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

The Joe Man posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3cNFeKOAMM

Anyone else get a Politank-Z flashback from Pac-Man, there?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mio Bison posted:

Under Night could be poo poo for all I care, if it does well the devs have said it would be easier for them to justify gambling on a Western release of Melty. Under Night forever!!!

If that's all it takes I'll buy a four-pack and send a note to the effect of "Unless you really hate money you should probably try and put this on Steam".

I know the PC fightgame scene is the second biggest joke since "Linux Gaming" but at least out here the (central west coast) SSF4 on GFWL has a really healthy community. (I've only had one guy send me a message telling me to "get a better pc, human being"! He was playing Oni and got stuffed so I told him to play a better character.)

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you're playing SSF4 on a PC that can't get a rock-steady 60 FPS the only thing wrong with his statement is "human being." It's incredibly annoying to have the framerate suddenly shift on you in a game that depends so completely on muscle memory and reactions.

Of course, if you already are and he's just being a jackass, more power to you.

And a version of Blazblue that's like three versions old. :v:

More importantly there's, y'know, GGPO.

It rates a C and really the only stage I drop frames on is Pitch-Black Jungle. (Most of the time I wind up hosting and I always pick TS) Also I never knew that the PC version of Blazblue got released; I just sort of assumed they smothered it with a pillow and tossed it out with the perishables.

VVV I've rocked it against another C a time or two; I'll be getting a desktop before too long.

redmercer fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 4, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

redmercer posted:

It rates a C and really the only stage I drop frames on is Pitch-Black Jungle. (Most of the time I wind up hosting and I always pick TS)

Jiggled my settings a bit and rebenchmarked, now it's A class. My confidence in Capcom's PC department increases slightly.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Brosnan posted:

OK OK, I'll work on one. NeoGAF's is kind of ridiculously comprehensive as far as mechanics go, so I'll have to think on what kinds of stuff to include that's not covered more thoroughly there. Probably advice on character choices, why Tekken is cool, who is/isn't in the game.. any other ideas?

Maybe a smattering of Tekken history and the fact that Namco got a patent for the Gradius loading game

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
If I can ever get Jojo working I'd so be down.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Schmendrick posted:

^ ^ ^
KoF is the paragon of goofy characters and really dumb plots.

You sure about that? I mean, even if you want to stay relatively mainstream Tekken has had two dinosaurs and a kangaroo before the PS2 era.

I mean, I'm trying to think of the one single fighter with the weirdest plot and characters and it's just a hole with no bottom.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
The amount of effort and polish is, frankly, fairly staggering. But not as much as the name.

Seriously. Death Cargo?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Too bad its the PS version and not the Dreamcast one.

The DC version didn't have the controller massage. :colbert:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mega Comrade posted:

For someone who clearly doesn't like SF4 you certainly talk about it a lot. Don't get me wrong you post some informative stuff too but you do bring up how bad you think it is an awful lot.

TSG's just one of those gimmicks who tries to hurt your eyes by making you roll them to an extreme degree

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

LEAVE STREET FIGHTER IV ALONE :qq:

FILTHY CASUALS :qq:

Because it's not even worth its own post...

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

So basically I'm saying you are right, but to bring it back to the issue of whether people would play a game without a crapload of systems, I think SF4 was very intentionally designed to seem SF2-ish to the casual observer anyway, and since casual players decide what gets played now...

redmercer fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 25, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
There was a serious lack of Last Blade 2 in that list, give me a reason to relearn Amano

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

YeehawMcKickass posted:

This is the Manliest Suitcase.

Except for the Strike Witches stick

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Hitboxes are great if you're doofy with directional inputs like me, to the point where you find yourself jumping out of sonic booms. And if you're having it made for you, go ahead and figure out which hand is more dexterous and put the directional buttons on that side of the box. I flipped my 'box myself, which you might not want to do unless you've got a decent set of tools on hand.

Also why the heck aren't there more people on jojos :argh:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Gutcruncher posted:

They should take it a step further. I want to select my announcer!

I want a fighting game where you can pick from different announcers, including one who sounds really bored. And maybe a drunk one, too.

Hell, the only game I can think of with selectable announcers was UT2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

AndyElusive posted:

The character art is nice and it looks fun but I just can't get over DIVIDE! kill each other, but it's good "INVERSES" :eng99:

Cheesy Engrish is a time-honored tradition in fighting games

• Locked thread