Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
As a one-time serious HnK player who basketballed with the best of them, I have to say that it is fun as hell to play at any level. It's one of those games that's so utterly balls-to-the-walls broken that the game actually sort of balances it out when all is said and done, because everyone can kill everyone else in one hit. There are still tiers because some guys can kill people in one hit easier than others, but still. It is probably the only game where a dude with a skillset that's like Wesker's on steroids (high priority normals, multidirectional air/ground teleports, 1 frame physical/projectile counters, one touch kill combos off of jabs and throws and pretty much everything else) has someone above him on the tier list.

Somehow the game manages to stay fun as hell despite (or perhaps because of) this. The meatiness of the hit effects honestly gave me the feeling of "I'm beating the poo poo out of this dude" better than any fighting game I've played, and I've played a lot.

There's a ton of stuff implemented in the game that's pretty much there solely for the fans of the series, a lot of which directly affects the gameplay (Souther has a guard crush gauge against every character because he blocks everything with his chest. AN EMPEROR NEVER RETREATS) while some are purely fluff (Rei's fatal KO against Juda reenacts the actual scene from the manga, because that was when the technique was actually used). It gives the game a lot of character, which is something that I guess is only possible because it's based off a preexisting series with a ton of history.

It also has the best combo video ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sade posted:

I thought Toki was the best in the game by far cause he can land his fatal KO from pretty much any clean hit?

That was only in the beginning of the game's lifetime. Research into the boost system made landing FKOs off a 3 star combo possible for pretty much every character except Mr. Heart, and only for him because his FKO is a grab. It's more a given than an advantage. Toki is still top tier, definitely, but he shares the position with Juda, Raoh, and Rei. Rei's generally agreed to be the easiest of the four to use, and his ability to easily convert nearly any hit (easier than the others, that is) to a 3 star or OTK combo generally puts him slightly ahead of the other three.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

redmercer posted:

And sturdy enough to unhook one end for use as a flail in emergency situations

That just made me think of people competing to throw sticks hammer-style. Gootecks would take first place.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Sorry to derail on you like this, but I'm really curious as to when 11 started getting seen as a good KOF game. I was playing it in tournaments when it first came out, and the game was really broken and super-duper unbalanced. There were literally only 4 characters who could be played in tournaments if you wanted a chance to win.

Did the game evolve to actually be playable at some point or do people just have some seriously rose-tined glasses about the game? I stopped following it not too long after it became obvious how bad it was so I admit I could have easily missed a lot.

Yeah XI was super unbalanced and dominated by a handful of characters, but it came on the heels of KoF2k3 which was pretty much balls. I guess that contributed to its more positive reception.

Besides, even the "good" KoFs have always had a very clearly defined top tier--13 is the first one I've seen where people have been reluctant to agree on S tier characters. The only difference between good KoFs (98, 2k2) and bad ones (99, 2k1) has been the relative viability of the non-top tier characters.

e: I did some more reading on XIII and Japanese and Korean consensus seems to be that Clark and Takuma are the two strongest, and Daimon is the weakest, but they agree too that the balance on console XIII is pretty much the best it's ever been. Shame that the arcade version was released early as a terribly balanced and buggy game.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 6, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

uncleKitchener posted:

These ones were pretty sever though, sometimes even ended up crashing the game or messing up with all sorts of visuals.

Every KoF has had bugs that are pretty severe and sometimes end up crashing the game out the rear end.

No, seriously.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

uncleKitchener posted:

Jesus, you're not kidding. What about KOF13? I've haven't seen anything severe myself.

I haven't kept up with the console release, but I know off the top of my head that Vice was banned from arcade play because one of her moves put certain characters into an unhittable frozen state (essentially froze the character and removed the hitbox from the game) and Hwa had a bug where his jaguar kick lookalike would send him flying off the top of the screen, never to return.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

redmercer posted:

Cheesy Engrish is a time-honored tradition in fighting games

Yeah, but it used to be better. Compare that to The time of retribution. Battle 1. Decide the destiny, or Heaven or Hell. Round 1. Let's rock!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

What was the name of that awesome, crazy Japanese Makoto player who uses SA2 and can 100% reliably but still manages to gently caress up all the time?

Most of the good Makoto players could use SA2 and 100% reliably in the end, but the one you're talking about is probably J. Barring that, maybe Haitani? Mimora? Shiro?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Do people consider vanilla 98 or 98UM to be the better game? I know they both have really strong tiers but I have no idea which one has more viable characters or is more fun or whatever. I've only played vanilla 98 to any real degree so mostly I just don't know anything about the changes to 98UM.

Both the UMs were both welcomed as pretty balanced if I remember right, but I think vanilla 98 is still considered the better game. Take it with a grain of salt, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Veib posted:

Yeah, for example CvS2 has corner crossups that only player 2 can do.

Aren't those "player 2 side's corner" only, not "the characters who are being controlled by the second player" only, though? At least, that's how I remember it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I wouldn't mind The Molassening if it somehow became a Kaiju battle.

King Sasquash vs. The 50ft Succubus in full 3d destructible city. I'll buy that for a dollar!

RE: Jojo's. If Capcom made a port it would kill the GGPO one and we'll have to pray that it isn't terrible. I don't think it's a good idea and even if Capcom did it I don't see them profiting from it since I don't remember the game being popular outside of FG circles.

Oh man, you just made me suddenly long fiercely for a modern day King of the Monsters (SFC/SNES) remake.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Eventually, with enough yomi layers, you reach the state of yomi croissant.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The Rokstar posted:

I do this a lot playing Hugo in SFxT, since about 90% of my Hugo game is random backbreaker.

That's actually yomi so deep you don't even know it. Like fighting game Inception.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

:psyboom:

Serious question: Is yomi a real word that means anything in some foreign language or did Sirlin make it up?

It means "read" in Japanese. And yes, you can use it like the English equivalent (as in, to "read" people). The Japanese fgc uses the term too, but it's more "oh man that was such a sick read" and not "that was yomi layer 3."

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 24, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Gotcha. I guess I could have also trusted Google when this result came up.

Next question, will it make me sound like a douche when I use the word 'yomi' to describe a sick read?

I guess. It doesn't have any special connotation in Japanese; you might as well just say "wow, that was an awesome read" in English. I mean, there's nothing stopping you from doing it, but then again there's nothing stopping you from calling corner pressure "gamenhashi" and wakeup pressure "okizeme" except it looks dumb in English.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Brosnan posted:

Yes.

Technically to read something is yomu or yomimasu, yomi is just a noun form of it that there's no reason to use. It's not like okizeme where people routinely use it (or "oki") to refer to the wakeup game in 3D fighters. It's just a thing Sirlin latched on to.

Actually, the term is "yomiai" and it is used routinely in reference to mind games, but the layer 2-3-4 thing is entirely Sirlin's invention. :eng101:

That is, it's not an fg-only term like "roll cancel" or "dust loop" that has no meaning outside of fighting games.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

40 OZ posted:

words

Oh, I do acknowledge that he has a point, and a good one at that. I'm just making it clear that "yomi" isn't a term Sirlin plucked out of his rear end, but that the specific definition he gives isn't part of how the Japanese think about it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Electric Crayon posted:

Ratio matches seem to be hard to balance and always amplify the difference in tiers. I do not think they are good ideas. Just look at CvS2, the balancing on that game was bonkers. Roll canceling alleviated it somewhat, but still, Sagat/Cammy/Blanka reigned supreme. It kind of stifled the game.

Except for a Ratio 4 K-Groove Zangief, because that poo poo was fun. Your opponent makes so much effort to hurt you with their ratio 1 cammy or blanka or whatever and then you enrage and Atomic SPD them for 80% damage. So fresh.

Has the game changed so much? I thought eventually it balanced out to A groove Dictator and Blanka being tippity top tier, with another strong A-groover like Sakura filling in the odd spot for your team.

Either way, though, nobody ever picked the ratio 2/2 or 3/1 two character or ratio 4 single character setup. It just wasn't worth it given the massive amount of damage something like a good custom combo or raged K-groove super would do even from a ratio 1 to a ratio 4, and the negligible amounts of health that winning a round granted. Not to say that it wasn't a good game, but ratio juggling was definitely not a part of competitive play, other than "where should I put my ratio 2 character?"

Sort of like how eventually half the grooves in the game became nonviable for competitive play as well.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 27, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

e: wrong thread

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Only problem I can see with Injustice is that (from what we saw) some of the characters just don't have the oomph of others. Capcom's VS series have always done a pretty good job of making all the characters look suitably impressive even though in terms of actual "power levels" Ryu would never have a chance against Blackheart or whatever. Like how shinkuus in the VS series become beams of energy, the shinryuken has a pillar of fire dragons, the hurricane kick super has an actual hurricane complete with gusts of wind and lightning bolts, etc. Even Frank West's hyper combos manage to have a meaty feel to them as he hits you with a gallon of orange juice.

Meanwhile in Injustice you have the Flash becoming one with the Speed Force and punching people at the speed of light while Batman just kinda hits people hard. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the game looked like it had anything to rely on other than the eye candy aspect of "oh my gawd this is so cool, I'm playing as Batman fighting Superman."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Mio Bison posted:

Why all the hate for the environment aspects? None of it looked randomized which is what's inherently anti-competitive, it all requires player interaction rather than having the Batmobile drive into the foreground and eat a dude every 5-30 seconds. Stage imbalance is inevitable but having 3(?) different areas per stage that you can move between mitigates it some and if that was enough to kill a game Starcraft 1/2 would have been dead on arrival. Not saying it's going to be the competitive Mecca but I'd rather hate on it for having slow/bland gameplay rather than attacking whatever looks different.

(T-28 days to Polarity explaining how crates/barrels ruined Street Fighter 2)

To be fair, though, Starcraft 1 and 2 maps are meticulously balanced and constantly revised (I know the Korean SC1 league, at least, had people who they employed as professional map makers) and even then you still get a bunch that are skewed in the favor of one race or another. I agree that it's not an inherently flawed concept but compared to the alternative (flat plane) it adds another aspect that could potentially be another balancing nightmare in a genre where balance is already hard to achieve.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Snicker-Snack posted:

Oh. Copyright issues or something?

Yeah, if you check their homepage they pretty much admit that they didn't ask Otomo Katsuhiro before taking Tetsuo from Akira and making him a fighting game character, so they couldn't reuse him.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

Witch Molester 3DS

KOF XIV funding problems solved.

Witch Molester Kinect. :colbert:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

Fixed that one for you. Pretty sure gems and molasses wouldn't fix it.

SNK's record has been pretty bad bar the most recent balance fix of 13, though. The initial release of 13 was a train wreck of bugs and poorly balanced characters, and before that it was near unanimously agreed that 2k2 and 98 were the best in a series that has seen the entire Ash arc after that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Like batman being launched multiple city blocks and through a building and suriving.

Don't you see? Loading time = prep time. The Batman is invincible.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Xanieth posted:

Does a Morton Salt themed stick count as ironic, or awesome? I'm thinking of modding my MvC2 TE next, or maybe my SF4 SE. gently caress, I have too many sticks.

Only awesome if you build a compartment into the side of the stick that can hold actual salt, and then shake it over the head of your opponent when you win.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I fondly remember the days of running two Sagats with that glitch. Good times.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

...The Power Rangers fighting game?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Commissar Ken posted:

Especially if the Batman skin is good ol' Batman-koff.

I wanna fight in that hat so bad.

Are you getting something I'm not? From what I can see the only three skins are for Supes, WW and Solomon Grundy.

A goddamn travesty, I tell you what.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I thought Supes could move so fast that Batman would maybe start to tense for a punch and by that time Supes would already have punched every single square inch of Batman's body except his kryptonite-plated knuckles. :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Drop all the games and put in WWE '13.

In a baffling display EgoRaptor defeats FChamp, MADKOF, Justin Wong, Daigo, Infiltration, and the rest of the FGC to win the Royal Rumble and challenge Ganondorf for the title of Evolution 2013 Grand Champion

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Veib posted:

According to the only person I know who plays it it's the only fighting game where projectiles really matter as a tool to control space.

Sonicyoga shotdouken

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Arturo's in Funkdoc's chat right now saying that Spooky is getting ready to start up an ST donation drive stream as well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

:ohdear:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

CVagts posted:

Why would you tell people to hold off on donating with six hours left?

Clearly the Smash Illuminati got him. :tinfoil:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Tom Cannon killed ST.

e: I'm not annoyed at Melee winning, I'm annoyed at ST losing. ST is an incredible game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

The bed-jizzer is noted smash superstar Mew2King, who you will absolutely see at EVO if Smash is there.

He's also the dude from this classic image:

Doesn't he also have such lofty titles as Puke-on-Host's-Futon-er and Goes-to-Japan-with-No-Money-er?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The Dark Wind posted:

Been watching some videos of Guilty Gear XX AC+, it looks like a fun game and it actually seems to make sense to me (lots of similarities with Street Fighter in terms of canceling/crossups/how things work in general) so I've been thinking of giving it a whirl. I grabbed it for XBL, is there much of an online scene? How is the netcode? It looks like dustloop.com seems to be the most solid resource for this game in terms of where to get character info/matchups/frame data/etc. What are some good beginner characters to start with, and must read/must watch articles and videos? I've heard the Guilty Gear series is supposed to be ridiculously hard, but I definitely would like to give it a bit of a chance and mess around with it as a nice break between SF4 and UMvC3.

GGX was my first fighting game so I'm probably not the most unbiased opinion, but the series' difficulty is vastly overrated, especially when you're not talking about tournament level play. Stuff like slashbacks, instant faultless guard, 1 frame false roman cancels (for most characters), etc. will never realistically come up in your average play experience. Systems like "jump install" and "impossible dust" SOUND esoteric and are even confusing to read on paper, but if you actually see them in action and try them out you'll see they're actually really simple. I find a lot of people are intimidated by the flashiness of it even when not much is really going on.

In contrast, SFIV has stuff like option selects on every goddamn jab and pressure setup, and let's not even talk about Marvel.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I would donate if I wasn't sure that the awesome characters like Sharknerd and Anvildudley will inevitably be passed over in favor of something like the hot schoolteacher. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Oh I fully agree. I meant from a gameplay perspective though.

Given that hot teacher has no description on her playstyle except "fights like a teacher, also hilarious fighting game references" and her main inspirations are fairly bland Rival Schools characters (every other game mentioned doesn't even have a character listed, so I can only assume they're using in references but don't directly influence her playstyle), while Sharknerd is based on Slayer, and Anvildudley is based on Dudley and Steve, I have no idea how you can think this. I mean, the only thing you can really glean from the teacher's description outside of cosmetic stuff is that she might have counters, because Kyoko, Hayato, and Hideo were pretty drat vanilla as far as gameplay mechanics went. Hell, Hideo is literally Ryu with a divekick--he even has the same supers. Even as characters they were decidedly less than memorable.

Meanwhile a lot of the characters Stanley and Andy are based on had immensely memorable and character defining gameplay mechanics. Slayer's backdash cancel invulnerability, links in a game where almost everything was a chain combo from Slash onward, the dandy step system (especially once its FRC was added), Dudley's incredible corner combos, Steve having his kick buttons all replaced by ducking and weaving, the list goes on.

...And so I donated to the kickstarter. :v:

• Locked thread