Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

interrodactyl posted:

ESPORTS has no intention of growing the community or actually trying to improve the fighting game community in a way that's meaningful aside from bringing more professionalism.

What they want, more than anything else, is to turn players into customers.

This is a pretty stupid comment, in that you imply that turning players into customers is a bad thing.

While the esports community and the FG community have done a really lovely job of coming together, injecting FINANCIAL INCENTIVE into the tournament scene is a seriously great thing that we should all support if we are interested in seeing this poo poo grow and become more mainstream. A financial basis for corporate involvement is necessary for any sort of reasonable long-term projections and I am pretty sick of people painting that kind of attitude like it is the worst thing imaginable.

There are a lot of things to be pissed about re: the recent FG/esports bullshit, but trying to turn a profit should not be one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

40 OZ posted:

Yeah I agree, but the problem remains, without fundamental changes to how tournaments are organized.

I want to emphasize, this is in context of players emerging far beyond the level that currently exists. I'm saying that I can't see that happening, with SF4 and MVC3.

To make a simpler analogy, I don't see how starcraft money or training can produce players dozens of players who can beat Justin Wong 9 games out of 10 in MVC3 or SF4 no matter how out of practice he is. That is an obvious conclusion, but from what I understood, this is what people think will happen once the MLG millions start falling.

edit- Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not aggressively saying that I'm absolutely right or anything. This is just my modest estimation.

Realistically, as soon as there are real "career opportunities", the nature of the competition simply changes. If you followed the RTS scene, there were "top players" who were considered unbeatable due to a mixture of smart practice and natural talent all the way up through around 2002. It was at this point that Koreans (and some foreigners) discovered that simply having some talent, plus the resources and willpower to practice ALL loving DAY, will eventually trump natural talent so severely as to render the previous untouchables totally obsolete.

This happened with Starcraft and (to a much lesser degree) with Warcraft 3, and it could one day happen to FGs. While this may seem terrifying to tournament hopefuls (B-tier players with a chance to compete but who could only win a tournament due to many lucky breaks) it injects enormous amounts of life into a game and is really the only way to take things to the next level of skill/visibility.

While the somewhat random nature of fighting games makes 9-1ing a very talented player quite difficult, and the skill ceiling is nowhere near what you would find in Brood War, you would still see top "career" players arise that could consistently 7-3 or 8-2 the "best" players of today, because they would simply be better, sooner, and eventually you would see an army of dudes playing at Daigo's level as the relative baseline for high-end competition.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
It's time for me to get back into fighting games. I just moved to Lansing, MI, and I know at least bananaken lives here (if you're in this thread I tweeted at you a few weeks ago) but I should probably meet some other lansing dudes if they actually exist because there's not much of a scene here for me to stumble upon and driving to Ann Arbor is hard when the heater is dead in my car.

For those that live in MI I'm poon from the Guilty Gear community, old Austin player if anyone remembers that game. I don't really know any other fighting games except 3rd strike but I'm generally quite good and pick games up quickly so if there is any scene at all around here worth getting into I'll probably learn the appropriate game to join in on the bullshit.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Man I used to play the gently caress out of CFE, but only with fubarduck and ONLY zangeif v Hauser. I am REALLY good at that matchup, however.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Man for a moment I thought the FG thread had realized how cool and important the new Guilty Gear is but instead they're just talking about SF5 =[

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

oblomov posted:

I am kind of excited for DOA PS4/PC since I suck at SF (since SNES days). The whole no net code thing on PC is BS. What that will force is people will just wait for steam sales. They should have held back release.

Speaking of GG, are there any recommended net resources to peruse to become better?

Dustloop is your best bet. Though to be fair this game JUST came out so it will be a little bit before all the character specific stuff gets updated all the way. Still a great place to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Zand posted:

isnt that quite a broad statement you're making yourself re: "dumb old man poo poo" ? ? ?
throw startup alone changes the very nature of a throw-based offense on a fundamental level. I don't know how to type enough words for you to think I'm making a coherent point about it that meets your standards for discussion, so I'm not going to explain myself but I'm just going to instead let you know that I'm definitely in the right here and you are definitely in the wrong.

Zand-kun please note poster "succint and punchy" made this super-good post a few days ago:

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I played Guilty Gear X2 #Reload a couple of days ago with a friend who wanted to show it to me. Spent most of my time winning by picking the girl with an enormous anchor and using forward slash despite having no loving idea what I was doing. Then one time I jumped and got instantly killed from full life to none by what looked like a DP. Then I picked Baiken and continued to spam forward slash and still won like half the time. This went on for roughly an hour before I got bored and wandered back to Melty Blood. Didn't exactly endear me to the series, put it that way.

So probably arguing with him about throws or which games are good isn't really very helpful

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 7, 2014

• Locked thread