Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Thinking about making a (s)hitbox next week as a project for my free time, what do you guys wire the buttons up to? The guts of some lovely Gamestop controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Wow, I'm surprised by how cheap those are, especially since you don't need to gently caress around with soldering. I'll go with that, thanks.

Now to decide between a shoebox or a pizza box.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

CrashTestVictim posted:

How could you have a TMNT avatar and not immediately decide pizza box?

I don't have any of those white plastic things, it might collapse.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Go back in time and don't spill your juice box into it (like I did with my Gameboy).

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I made these! Just need to find someone who will take the worthless iPads off my hands.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's placed so you can use either thumb. I switch depending on what I'm doing.

It's completely natural having played PC games with the same setup for 20 years.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

If you're surprised that people are pledging towards Divekick then you haven't been following the idiocy that is Kickstarter. The world could be saved with the amount of money people throw at stupid poo poo on this site.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I wonder if they'll include that weird Chun-Li palette swap that shoots missiles out of her rear end.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Is anyone over at Skullgirls co. even getting paychecks?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

That's generally how these things go. Most fan projects fall apart in the early stages, so it's not worth bothering with legal action until the finish line is in sight. Also given the post on their site, it looks like the team is already falling apart.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

All you dipshits knocking the X-Aracade need to watch the enormous Entourage clip that autoplays on their page. Turtle says it makes you superhuman...

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Do many people play Marvel Origins on PSN?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You could buy a set of colored buttons and a set of black buttons, take them apart and reassemble them to match what you have now.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

This has been discussed multiple times, but on a hitbox you can dash by holding forward and tapping back (without letting go of forward) faster than you could possibly dash on a stick.

That's about it.

edit: Looked at your post history, saw you participated in the discussion. I think your argument will be that a hitbox allows you to do some things faster than a stick rather than allowing you to do things that a stick simply can't. I'd agree.

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 16, 2013

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

HKR posted:

Speaking of sticks, I'm getting hyped for Divekick

Not a stick.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Fruitsnacks posted:

Are you thinking of getting an 'official' Hitbox? Two things I dislike about that style of Hitbox: 1) The main 8 buttons are 24mm instead of 30mm, and 2) the direction buttons are too close to the main buttons. 24mm buttons are too small and playing fighting games on them is wack.

On the other hand if you've never used a stick and aren't used to 30mm buttons the Hitbox layout will probably fit your hand better.

They rule get one.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The whole Skullgirls team was Mike Z, forty artists, and jmcrofts getting people coffee.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Hopefully Sony isn't adding hardware encryption like MS did with 260 controllers. Without it I'd expect a firmware update for the Cthulu and PS360. Have any fighters even been announced for PS4 yet? Time doesn't seem to be a factor.

As for the XBone, nothing in that document that I can see suggests that sticks will continue working. Unless I'm missing something, this is the only portion that comes close to addressing it:

quote:

Q: Will my wired 3PP accessories (controller) work on Xbox One?
A: Today we’re here to talk about Xbox One and the best in class games and entertainment systems we announced on stage Monday. We’ll share more details about accessory compatibility closer to launch.

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 15, 2013

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

If they were USB they'd sell a shitload.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I'm struggling to think of one time I've had any kind of cable go bad in 25 years of plugging them into things.

I mean I'm sure it's happened but definitely not enough times to justify buying even one name brand cable.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

To me the biggest downside of a keyboard are that the keys take a longer press to activate than regular arcade buttons. I tried playing on GGPO on keyboard after my Hitbox but it just feels so clunky despite my having been a PC gamer for decades. Are people using chiclet style keyboards or some other kind that don't require the key to be depressed all the way to signal?

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 25, 2013

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You're correct, aside from the couple contained in the tutorial there are no combo lists ingame. Figure it out in training or search online for your character's combo like everyone else.

You mentioned liking Cerebella, so here's an easy combo that does pretty decent damage (c. means crouching, j. means while jumping):

c.lk, c.mp, c.hp
j.lk, j.hk
c.lk, c.mp, c.hp
j.mp, j.mk, j.hp

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

What? Nobody ever said he was right to hit her.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Seashell Salesman posted:

When I read that article I was really hoping he'd explain why SkullGirls isn't worth mentioning but he never did. What's wrong with SkullGirls?

He said earlier that he didn't like watching some of the games because of long combos.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I'm having trouble following exactly how this works. It sounds like something you can only test by trial and error in training mode, which is one of the exact problems the IPS was supposed to eliminate.

Each move adds a set amount of combo score (or whatever it's called), so you can still work out what will or won't work with a pen and paper, it's just another thing to keep track of. Granted things start getting messier when you start adding resets, but whatever, seeing Duckator/Severin's playstyle was getting old.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Also I'm pretty sure you can do weird stuff that doesn't even approach a 360 motion like Left, Right, Up, Down and it still works.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

lamentable dustman posted:

Anyone know where you can buy just a good case. I bought a lovely stick as a babby and I replaced the stick and buttons already and now I want a higher quality case. Would probably be better to buy a new stick outright and just have an extra but just want to see. All I've really seen is one from here http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/index.cfm?loc=about&sub=tekcase and acrylic kinda makes me nervous as I'm pretty rough on my stick

Most of the case makers stopped doing them. Tek and this other guy are your best bets.

http://www.simplecase.org/

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I have multiple Tek cases and also love them. Shipping can take a couple weeks depending on what you're ordering but it's well worth it.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Have they announced who the new SF4 character is yet? Last I saw people were saying it's that Cammy/Vega thing.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

They're pretty clearly looking to make the Hearthstone of fighting games, people laughed at all the things that game left out too and it turns out none of them were necessary for success. I'm not sure it can work here without an established IP/studio to get the non-fighting game player's interest though.

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 28, 2015

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I think people would complain a lot less about the boring robot designs if you didn't have to fight in the same boring desert where Goku fought Vegeta.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

They are about a foot taller than a big rock in the background. Hope this helps.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Hey guys there's something wrong with your posts, none of you are complaining about one-button specials. Please do the needful.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Has anybody here ever ordered printed custom art and plexi from tek-innovations.com? If so how's the quality of both?

I made two Hitboxes with his stuff, one with art he printed. Very good, just takes a few weeks to get. I'd buy again without hesitation if I wanted another stick.

Building them was a lot of fun too. He's put a ton of thought into the design.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

l3v3l4outbr3ak posted:

The only negative I have to say about the case itself is the packaging left me with a pile of stuff to sort and figure out over the course of a couple of hours.

Actually that's part of the fun. Post some pictures.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah Python is better. Code in Sublime on a Hitbox.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Does it come with DLC like the PC version?

edit: Looking at the PSN store the prices are $16/$20.

later edit: I wasn't signed in, those are the non-Plus prices.

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 17, 2015

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

They are good and they work, but the downside is that since they aren't licensed products they can be broken by console firmware updates. This has already happened on PS4, a firmware update fixed the issue two days later. You run the risk of a console update that can't be addressed with new adapter firmware, or the company behind them simply disappearing. There's probably less chance of the adapter breaking on PC than consoles.

All that said, I'm probably going to buy the bare-PCB PS3/PS4/Xinput board to put in one of my Hitboxes, the one true FG controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Not solderless, unless you want to buy a licensed stick and gut it.

Just learn to solder and get this: http://www.focusattack.com/brook-ps3-ps4-fight-board-pcba/

• Locked thread