Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Cinroth posted:

Received my Qanba Q4RAF from gremlinsolutions today and the stick owns and is rad as heck and everyone should own one because it owns.
Sup, Q4 buddy!

They really are nice sticks. I've owned a TE and a Q3 and I think this is the best of the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Is KoF gonna be region free? I've heard nothing about an Australian release so I might consider an import.

edit: 360 version, not PS3

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Been asking this everywhere, but has anyone had experience with getting the new Madcatz sticks (the Pro series) to work with PCs? Mine is identifying as a "Madcatz Fightstick Neo" and says it can't find drivers. Apparently the V.S model works fine.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

ZWZ posted:

I met up with a friend of mine to play sf and he brought his new Quanba stick with the felt bottom. It felt a lot more secure when playing in my lap so I decided to mod my TE to have a felt bottom as well. I used this guide as a reference http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/felt-bottom-arcade-stick-mod.149182/.
I didn't follow this guide exactly (I used cheap sticky backed felt sheets and a cheaper glue) but it ended up really good for about 5 bux total spent and a little bit of work to take the bottom plate off. Really recommend this.

Just a note, this won't affect how secure the stick will be when playing on a solid surface like a desk since only the rubber feet make contact on flat surfaces.
I did exactly this with my new SFxT Pro stick: though I used adhesive foam instead of felt. It's beautiful.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Trykt posted:

ITT goons get bandwagony as gently caress.
Not me. I was one of the few optimists who then proceeded to play the game. I fought against the tide for a week or so, then just sighed and joined the chorus. I like to think my opinion has a bit more weight because I didn't blindly dismiss it.

I would disagree that it's easier to get into than other games: the learning curve is definitely not as steep, sure, but it will teach you NOTHING of value in the broader sense apart from how to whiff punish. AA is poo poo, so you can't AA. Punishing is moot because everyone uses safe moves anyway (donkey kick, Rolento's anything, etc). Zoning is pointless because of all the brainless anti-FB tech that's out there. I could go on forever. It merely provides the illusion of depth.

Not to mention all the things new players can use as a crutch to avoid actually learning the game (gems, auto-combos, and so on).

Other games can teach you universal skills quicker AND better.

As for the game itself, I was in the crowd at Shadowloo Showdown watching the best players in the world go at it. It was boring as poo poo. All the hype you heard from the crowd at the end was because people won lots of money in sidebets, and more universally, people were cheering because it was the last match of SFxT for the weekend. People were booing at the very mention of it. Tournament organisers were embarrassed to have to run it. It's just awful. It was a black hole of hype in an otherwise great day.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
I bet you can't wait for the day when Ono dresses up like Morrigan and announces the new VSav!!!!!!!!!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
I can attest that he pretty much talks endlessly about his sweet grappler setups and lands approximately none of them because at the end of the day, he'll empty jump and churn butter. I just nod and smile because it's easier than 50-0ing him.

I've found it quite odd that there's a legitimate set of social standards by which to operate when you're a part of the FGC. Then I realised the kinds of people I'm often around at said meets and it suddenly dawns on me: it's necessary. On one hand you can meet some genuinely good people, but on the other hand, you're exposed to everything your mother ever warned you about, and more.

And seriously, shower. If you follow no other commandment in the FGC Bible then follow this one. You could be the nicest guy in the world, but if you smell like SFxT plays, I'm keeping a very wide berth.

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 21, 2012

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
I would seriously consider contacting Gamerbee on Facebook or some such. He's a totally awesome guy and I have no doubt he'd at least attempt to help out when it comes to good places to play. He speaks English well so if your Mandarin isn't strong it's no biggie.

From what he's said, the TW scene is a little odd, so it's no surprise that you're having a tough time.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
OMF2097 is the greatest fighting game ever and every day I pray for a remake/true sequel. I say that with only a slight amount of tongue in cheek.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-One Must Fall 2097
You just made a list of fighting games greater than Every Fighting Game Ever Released For Any Platform, good job

I bought SFxT PC as a contingency in the event that 2013 makes it anything other than a wet spot on the mattress

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Question Mark Mound posted:

Someone seriously needs to pick up the rights to One Must Fall and make a new decent 2D fighter out of it and not some 3D arena brawler poo poo like they released a while back.
I actually struck up a conversation with a guy named "Robyrt" who, apart from the Elam brothers themselves is probably the biggest font of information about that game, and after working through the various gameplay mechanics, jointly came to the conclusion that OMF is (probably accidentally) an impeccably designed fighting game in many respects. Turns out Robyrt is a bit of a fighting game nut in general so it was an interesting conversation.

We even looked into the whereabouts of the Elams themselves, but to no avail.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
WWE All Stars is an amazing drunken fighting game. If you don't have a console, then SF2: Rainbow Edition is the go.

As someone who attends tournaments and pretends he's alright at SF4, even I think they are the only correct answers.

Also I am to OMF 2097 what Trykt is to Ryu. I honour this mention with a custom title change.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
edit: Back to normal. Nothing to see here! :(

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 4, 2013

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

AndyElusive posted:

Quick Q: Has anyone got or tried the silent sanwa buttons? Thinking about getting half a dozen of them to replace the ones on my TE and I'm curious if they're worth getting and how they feel.
They use a really thin sheet of neoprene and IMO they don't feel all that different to the standard buttons. There's a little give if you press down firmly, but being realistic, you're never going to do that in a real match. What I guess I'm saying is that you won't notice the difference unless you're actively seeking to find one.

They take a little getting used to, especially at first, but I've accustomed to them nicely.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
More distance between the stick/buttons and a start/select lock function, if I remember right.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
It's funny because that contest will ultimately turn into a parade of entries that effectively boil down to "get $50 off your B15SDM purchase!"

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
That's not really a "general" question - it's a very SF4-specific question, believe it or not.

You're playing a game in which links are pretty much the bread and butter of combos. Although they exist in other FGs, they're really prevalent in SF4 - so much so that you can't really play the game properly unless you know how to do them. So if you find links onerous or stupid, then perhaps you're playing the wrong game and should explore your options a little more.

SF4 has "plinking" - if you're using a controller this is quite hard but if you're on a stick, then it's worthwhile to look up a few videos on it, because it'll make the windows for links artificially wider (and thus easier).

The first links are hardest because you need to learn to "feel" where the gaps are. Every character has different normals/specials and so knowing when to hit the button is a bit counter-intuitive in parts. The best advice I can give is this: if the linked move (cr.mp in this case) doesn't come out, you hit the button too early. If it comes out but didn't combo, it's too late. Adjust your timing accordingly and eventually you'll know when to go for it.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Speaking of the One True Game, is that NIDDHOGG game that was shown a few times in this thread available for download anywhere? It looks like a riot but I can't find anything on it anywhere, apart from the website which offers little to no information.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Brett824 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOz4b8Qnxjs

How did that whole discussion happen without this being linked?

ME IN IRC posted:

(1:49:47 AM) Goodpart: where's that vid
(1:49:57 AM) Goodpart: where some dude trolled and set all buttons to mp
(1:50:03 AM) Goodpart: so that the hakan player next up did nothing but mp
(1:50:13 AM) Goodpart: wanna watch taht vid
You've done a good thing today, Brett824 :banjo:

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Play One Must Fall 2097 it's a good game

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Pomp posted:

This literally just came up in a conversation, stop that.
I SEE YOU'VE STUMBLED PAST THE GRUNTS, BUT YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO DANCE WITH FIRE TO BEAT ME.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

This thread needs more DOS fighters

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

oh cool i chose my next-gen system correctly

owns

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
What's up Guys, Max here, to bring you a Special Breakdown of ANOTHER POL POST!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
With the Revolutionary Gems System, My Brosnan is Different From Your Brosnan!

But is Theme Hospital a fighting game?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Endorph posted:

is dragon ball xenoverse a fighting game
...and concise way as to why that is the case and be a pretty agreeable position among both groups. This thread is a bit of a hyperbolic time chamber, but a vast majority of my friends that play in and organize for the tournament scene all agree that Xenoverse is a great and...

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
lmso

(laughing my stick off)

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Ashtarath posted:

As an Australian who has attempted to get madcatz sticks before i can agree with this sentiment. Nowhere outside of ebay has their gear and it is an absolute pain.

The Gamesmen, homie

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

mango sentinel posted:

I'm going to Japan in a few days. Any recommendations on which arcade(s) I should check out while I'm in Tokyo?
You lucky fucker.

Shinjuku South is, iirc, the best of the lot. There are two arcades that are readily accessible from the station and both are good, but South is markedly better. You're likely to find top level players there across most games.

Akihabara has a ton of awesome arcades: my fav was HEY on Chuo Dori because they had all the rad old poo poo that sometimes cost 100¥ for two credits. There was also a healthy SF4 scene there if that's your deal.

Big Box at Takadanobaba is huge, but doesn't have the population it used to. Cool to check out, but it's a crapshoot as to whether you'll get what you want.

Most boroughs have a decent arcade though, and few are bad. Even running down to the arcade local to where you're staying is awesome. I stayed in a little ryokan in Ikebukuro and the local arcade there was a tidy little Taito Station next to a noodle joint. It was my nightly trip if we weren't going out.

Just be prepared to deal with smoking. Lots of it.

Enjoy your trip, rear end in a top hat!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
I thought it was because SG is running an "official" tourney at Evo proper?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
If you contributed to Beast's Fury you're dumb.

This guy is basically their Mike Z:

http://forum.ozhadou.net/index.php?topic=7611.msg126131#msg126131

His posting history is equally stellar if you care enough to look.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Cabbagepots posted:

Your image doesn't work
neither does your game

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

TheManSeries posted:

So is there any word on this stick? It seemed like a pretty affordable option.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RF...9lqL&ref=plSrch
Don't get that. Get this.

http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Real-Arcade-Pro-PlayStation-4/dp/B00SULMRI4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_63_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=00W7YYSRFFE3STW8H6KP

Same price, superior parts, benchmark PCB, bigger, sturdier.

I bought one myself. Will post impressions if anyone cares when it arrives (on the 25th).

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
If it supports PS3, it'll likely support PC.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Certain models of Hori sticks have extra spacing between the stick and buttons. Also, the Madcatz Soul Calibur stick/TTT2 stick has the same spacing.

Apparently it's an issue for some people. V:shobon:V

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Can someone diagnose my stick?

It's a Hori Hayabusa Silent and it's not registering cardinal directions on sufficiently quick inputs. This is a basic crLP xx rekka string with Fei Long starting from a crouchblock position and I think I get this exact input about 1 in 5 times. End result: no cancel. I just lost a match because of it and I'm very close to giving up on this thing.

Hori customer support is garbage and I don't want to void my warranty while my complaint is pending, so if anyone has this stick, can they test to see if it's my model specifically, or if it's all sticks like this? I can't figure out what would be causing it, but it's really irritating (insofar as I've bought a very expensive paperweight)

edit: it's not the game: I've done this in the PS4 version of USF4 as well as UNIEL and P4U. UNIEL was particularly interesting because it says that I hit DB and DF within 1 frame of each other. :v:

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

absolutely anything posted:

sounds like your stick has a "badpart"

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Serious answer: it's probably not worth pursuing fighting games if you're the type of person that can't do an SRK after an hour's practice. This is because you're probably the kind of person who will try exactly the same thing for an hour (despite being shown the solution) and then complain that the game is wrong for not letting you do a SRK. That's not boring elitism, that's just saving someone the torture of feeling perpetually inadequate.

Because the minute they're faced with a real fight against a real person who throws fireballs/antiairs properly/throws/runs away/rushes down/whatever they'll persist for like 4 more games doing EXACTLY the same thing and then say "gently caress this poo poo this game is cheap this game is bullshit that character is broken my character is busted i know i can win but this loving GAME" etc and they'll quit.

Rising Thunder solved the former problem, sure, but they actually exacerbated the latter by not even having a single player mode to develop delusions of grandeur over.

omf2097 remains the best robot fg qed

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
No what I'm saying is that the person who blames finger puzzles for losing is gonna come up against the other thousand reasons why they're losing when they lose and be equally frustrated. It has nothing to do with talent: it's all attitude.

Think of every game that has tried to bridge the gap between skill levels: either the gulf gets wider than it ever was (RT) or it's just a stupid loving mess that makes no sense (SFxT). Modern FGs fix problems that never existed (SF5) and it's loving stupid.

People need to understand that the learning curve in a FG is ridiculously steep no matter what and that the only way to overcome it is to keep playing, be self-reflective and actually acknowledge the mistakes they're making with the intent to fix them

And to come full circle, if the only aim is to have fun without being conscious of what you're "meant" to do then you could play literally any fighting game and just button mash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
im blind and retarded and i think maximum impact 3 looks real good qtiyd

• Locked thread