Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Is Orson Scott Card's origin for Tony Stark from his mini-series still canon? The one where he was born blue and it turned out he was basically a solid mass of undifferentiated brain matter or whatever? I thought that was a cool idea, but I'm not even sure I finished reading the mini, and even if I had it was so long ago that I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Paper Triangle posted:

Is Orson Scott Card's origin for Tony Stark from his mini-series still canon? The one where he was born blue and it turned out he was basically a solid mass of undifferentiated brain matter or whatever? I thought that was a cool idea, but I'm not even sure I finished reading the mini, and even if I had it was so long ago that I can't remember.

I am almost positive it was revealed as it was a fictional movie of his past.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 1, 2011

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

bobkatt013 posted:

I am almost positive it was revealed as it was a finical movie of his origin.

I love your avatar but I have to admit that I have no idea what this sentence means.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Paper Triangle posted:

I love your avatar but I have to admit that I have no idea what this sentence means.

Sorry my spelling sucks - In Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates #2, the events of Ultimate Iron Man were retconned as only being a fictional movie of Stark's life. I have no problem with it since I hate the author of Ultimate Iron Man.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

bobkatt013 posted:

Sorry my spelling sucks - In Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates #2, the events of Ultimate Iron Man were retconned as only being a fictional movie of Stark's life

No sweat. That's actually pretty awesome as far as retcons go, and totally something I could see Stark doing to bolster his public image and further inflate his own ego.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It wasn't a movie actually. It was an unlicensed Japanese anime that Tony hates.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

It wasn't a movie actually. It was an unlicensed Japanese anime that Tony hates.

That's easily the best retcon explanation ever. I really liked the idea of the original Ultimate Iron Man suit (somewhere between man and jet fighter), but the brain-body thing was too out-there. Iron Man, like Batman, is about the idea that a biologically ordinary man can become amazing through his brainpower and his will (and billions of dollars, but let's ignore that), and making him some kind of human-shaped brain kind of took that away.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I liked the giant brainbaby thing but I've also been sort of an Orson Scott Card fanboy since middle school so that might be why.

I think it being an anime he hates might be The Best Retcon though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Paper Triangle posted:

I liked the giant brainbaby thing but I've also been sort of an Orson Scott Card fanboy since middle school so that might be why.

I think it being an anime he hates might be The Best Retcon though.

How can you like him? He is a horrible human being.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Yeah, no, I should clarify that. I hate him as a person, but I fell in love with Ender's Game in middle school and read all the sequels and tie-ins over the next few years.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff
Hey I haven't read a whole lot of Ultimate X-Men or most of the later volumes of Ultimates, so I'm just wondering: Did we ever see what happened to Liz Allen after she became a mutant and left to join Xavier's? She never shows up again in Ultimate Spider-Man, did she die in Ultimatum off panel or something? Oh and speaking of Ultimatum what was the thing Giant Man was rambling about when he insisted Tony take the half-eaten Wasp back into his lab? I think she showed up in the Reed Richards Doom series, but she wasn't in New Ultimates Vs. Avengers? Thanks in advance if anyone can clear this up for me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

Hey I haven't read a whole lot of Ultimate X-Men or most of the later volumes of Ultimates, so I'm just wondering: Did we ever see what happened to Liz Allen after she became a mutant and left to join Xavier's? She never shows up again in Ultimate Spider-Man, did she die in Ultimatum off panel or something? Oh and speaking of Ultimatum what was the thing Giant Man was rambling about when he insisted Tony take the half-eaten Wasp back into his lab? I think she showed up in the Reed Richards Doom series, but she wasn't in New Ultimates Vs. Avengers? Thanks in advance if anyone can clear this up for me.

Liz joined the X-Men and became Firestar. She also showed up in Ultimate X and joined Jean Grey's 'team' but who knows where that will go with the new Ultimate X-Men book. As for the Wasp thing, I think it may have been a hint toward possibly making a version of Jocasta, but my guess is that's off the table now.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

That was a new wasp that showed up. She was introduced in Millar's new Ultimates.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
There's also a red-haired Wasp on Marko Djurdjevic's Ultimate Fallout variant. She's either a brand new Wasp or he has no idea what any version of Janet Van Dyne looks like. Hell even the Red Wasp was blonde.

I liked Ultimate Hawkeye but it does feel very much like a companion piece to the other Ultimate Comics. I'm glad they're going for a more unified universe but it should be allowed to stand on it's own (I'm impossible to please).

As far as Spider-Man goes, the door is definitely cracked open for Peter or a version of Peter to return if the need be but that wouldn't happen for at least a few couple years. Making Miles 13 is probably meant to emphasize the mistakes the role models made in Peter's life. You can't stop them from doing what they're doing, the best you can hope for is prepare them for these situations so that he doesn't become another Peter Parker. It'll be interesting to see how the first villain reacts to realizing he's fighting a middle-schooler.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

Kaleidoscope posted:

It'll be interesting to see how the first villain reacts to realizing he's fighting a middle-schooler.

Haha especially since Bendis said he's going fight some of Peter's old rogues. It's gonna be great when someone like Shocker who was flippin' out about constantly being bested by a 16 year old starts gettin' wrecked up by an even younger kid.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
I just reread the actual Death of Spider-man issue, and I am not really clear. Did Osborn die too?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kaleidoscope posted:

There's also a red-haired Wasp on Marko Djurdjevic's Ultimate Fallout variant. She's either a brand new Wasp or he has no idea what any version of Janet Van Dyne looks like. Hell even the Red Wasp was blonde.

That's how Janet looked in Ultimates 3. I know we'd all rather forget, but it did happen. Her hair was red and brown in that series. Depending in the issue/panel of your choice.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

Micgael posted:

I just reread the actual Death of Spider-man issue, and I am not really clear. Did Osborn die too?

I thought so, but he's come back before so who knows.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

No, he smiles at the end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did anything ever come about because of MJ's exposure to Oz? It seems like they were going to do something with it but it pretty quickly got dropped and never got any closure in USM. I know that Reed says he got rid of it BUT that's what everyone says about Norman/Harry and it never seemed to work with them. Also there was that one scene right after Kitty starts going to Peter's school where it looked like she was changing again.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
No, nothing ever happened with it.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Deadpool posted:

That's how Janet looked in Ultimates 3. I know we'd all rather forget, but it did happen. Her hair was red and brown in that series. Depending in the issue/panel of your choice.

gently caress you're right. Ugh, goddamn that book.

I really hope we don't see Osborn again for awhile. He's more Peter Parker's enemy than Spider-Man's and his revival was already half-assed as it is mostly serving as some poetic justification for the death of Spider-Man.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

bobkatt013 posted:

How can you like him? He is a horrible human being.

You can like someone's work without liking the person, I don't think you've met every single person whose work you read.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JackDarko posted:

You can like someone's work without liking the person, I don't think you've met every single person whose work you read.

ya but his horrible opinions are included in his books and the person I asked this too clarified. Since he called himself a fanboy it read that he was a huge fan of him.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Deadpool posted:

That was Joe Mad's everyone-is-caucasian style art to blame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JackDarko posted:

Yeah, the problem with Orson Scott Card is that his opinions strongly color his work so it's hard to see how you could enjoy the author when so much of his stuff is in what he writes.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

^burtle posted:

No, he smiles at the end.

I read here that (I think from Waterhaul) that he smiled most likely because he finally succeeded in killing his nemesis, but probably died. Also with that smile I think it ended USM with a similar panel to how it started... didn't it start with Osborn grinning?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

JackDarko posted:

Definitely. Warren Ellis turned out to be kind of a dick when he posted here, but I still think Nextwave is one of the best things Marvel have published in years.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Did anything ever come about because of MJ's exposure to Oz? It seems like they were going to do something with it but it pretty quickly got dropped and never got any closure in USM. I know that Reed says he got rid of it BUT that's what everyone says about Norman/Harry and it never seemed to work with them. Also there was that one scene right after Kitty starts going to Peter's school where it looked like she was changing again.

That and the Gwen/Carnage line really dropped the loving ball on some interesting developments from the Clone Saga (and in a lesser way, Spider-Woman and Scorpion). But I guess we can't have our damsels in distress if they are capable of ripping people's guts out with their bare hands. It just comes across as some lovely WHAT A TWIST! to sell some extra numbers of the next issue and is then completely ignored/swept under a rug as quickly as possible.

It feels like half of the plotlines and hooks started getting ignored around then and for a lot of issues up to where we are now. Which is weird because it's not like there's been a bunch of other writers kidnapping or dropping storylines. Is it a Bendis thing?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I read here that (I think from Waterhaul) that he smiled most likely because he finally succeeded in killing his nemesis, but probably died. Also with that smile I think it ended USM with a similar panel to how it started... didn't it start with Osborn grinning?

Started with Osborn telling the tale of Arachne to an aid. He hands the aid a radioactive spider (er...OZ infected spider) and the aid puts it in a glass jar but doesn't shut the lid. That spider later escapes and bites Parker.

EDIT: The MJ-Monster thing is like, one of only a few dropped plots. The rest is the stuff from the Ultimate Spidey videogame (which suggests Eddie Brock Sr tried on the Venom suit and caused the plane to crash). Everything else was pretty conclusively wrapped up.
Scorpion-Pete still exists, but that's all that's really known. No real hints exist that it'd ever be followed up on. Spider-Woman still appeared in Ultimate Comics post-Ultimatum, but it was mostly in Ultimate Cash-In/Mystery.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 1, 2011

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax
A question for someone who hasn't followed the Ultimate books for about five years:

When did Ultimate Reed make a heel turn, so to speak? Is there a specific issue, or was it a gradual thing?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Bulgaroktonos posted:

A question for someone who hasn't followed the Ultimate books for about five years:

When did Ultimate Reed make a heel turn, so to speak? Is there a specific issue, or was it a gradual thing?

The heel turn was during Ultimate Doomsday which was a mini event that took place across Ultimate Enemy #1-4, Ultimate Mystery #1-4 and Ultimate Doom #1-4 between last year and this year. I think it was possible the last issue of Ultimate Mystery that reveals that it's Reed but it was something that was kind of apparent throughout the "event".

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

The heel turn was during Ultimate Doomsday which was a mini event that took place across Ultimate Enemy #1-4, Ultimate Mystery #1-4 and Ultimate Doom #1-4 between last year and this year. I think it was possible the last issue of Ultimate Mystery that reveals that it's Reed but it was something that was kind of apparent throughout the "event".

I liked that Ultimate Doom trilogy, but it did seem like they hadn't really set it up much. Nothing really in the Ultimate Fantastic Four title (at least for the 50 or so issues I read) would have indicated he'd snap like that. One thing that struck me throughout was how similar the giant tentacled purple thing that kept appearing in science buildings was to Watchmen. Even got your snapped super-genius behind the scenes pulling the strings to "save the world".

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I liked that Ultimate Doom trilogy, but it did seem like they hadn't really set it up much. Nothing really in the Ultimate Fantastic Four title (at least for the 50 or so issues I read) would have indicated he'd snap like that. One thing that struck me throughout was how similar the giant tentacled purple thing that kept appearing in science buildings was to Watchmen. Even got your snapped super-genius behind the scenes pulling the strings to "save the world".

The Ultimate FF/XMen Annual and Ultimate XMen/FF Annual (which are convoluted as gently caress and hard to tell exactly what's going on) hint that Reed does something to be bad and that he's replaced on the team after he kills Johnny or something like that.

But I look at it like this: Ultimatum basically was a wake up call for Richards in that he couldn't just sit on the side lines and be reactionary to threats of the week. He needed to go out and proactively safe the world. That's what he thinks he's doing.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

Oh yeah and he was all crazy in Ultimatum too! I forgot about that. You could definitely see the seeds of Ultimate Doom in that mini, especially the end. I really hated the idea of Ultimatum and the mini itself, but it definitely did provide for some pretty cool changes to the Ultimate universe. At least they didn't kill Peter off in the Ultimatum wave like they teased. Oh and did they ever follow up on Strange's demon orb thing releasing all that evil? I can't even remember if the FF managed to beat Dormammu or what.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hulk literally punched all the evil back into it, and it was awesome.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

notthegoatseguy posted:

But I look at it like this: Ultimatum basically was a wake up call for Richards in that he couldn't just sit on the side lines and be reactionary to threats of the week. He needed to go out and proactively safe the world. That's what he thinks he's doing.

Yes, that and Sue callously dumping him for a made up reason.

Ultimate Sue is very intelligent, but also a pretty mean person.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

invalid user posted:

Do the baddies in the two Ultimate comics remind anyone of the first bad guys from the initial Authority run?

If you think all Asians look the same, then yeah.

Just kidding. Mostly. But no, I don't see a lot of similarities other than they're both Asian terrorist organizations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

If you think all Asians look the same, then yeah.

Just kidding. Mostly. But no, I don't see a lot of similarities other than they're both Asian terrorist organizations.

It was the ring symbol that did it for me. It's not a match, but was close enough to make me do a double take in conjunction with them being manufactured Asian superbeings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have a bookshelf in one room that had all of my Ultimate Marvel TPBs on it. I had every single TPB that has come out so far with the exception of Ultimate Adventures, Ultimate Iron Man 1&2, and a few of the newer volumes. Today there was roof damage and water leakage above that room. All but 21 of the trades were completely ruined. Including every single one of my Ultimate Spider-Man trades. What an awful thing to come home to today. I'm about to have to spend a lot of money getting those books back. :(

• Locked thread