Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
So I did some browsing and it's my understanding that there are only 3 Ultimate Collections available for USM in Trade paperback and the rest are volumes, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cubemario posted:

So I did some browsing and it's my understanding that there are only 3 Ultimate Collections available for USM in Trade paperback and the rest are volumes, correct?

Yeah. The Ultimate Collections contain the same material as the hardcovers except in TPB form. The 3 Ultimate Collections of USM cover the same ground as volumes 1-6 of the TPB. So if you get the Ultimate Collections you can start getting the the trades at volume 7.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks, that saves me some time. It would be really nice to get all of USM physically one of these days, but at least most of it (save a few of the last issues of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man) are available on Digital Comics Unlimited.

Speaking of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, did anyone else find the art took a huge dive when they kept switching artists I mean switched to David? I could even spot a couple panels where the eyes on MJ weren't spaced properly. It was really a shame that Bagley left (what were his reasons anyway?), but Immonen did a great job replacing him.

Cubemario fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 2, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cubemario posted:

Thanks, that saves me some time. It would be really nice to get all of USM physically one of these days, but at least most of it (save a few of the last issues of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man) are available on Digital Comics Unlimited.

Speaking of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, did anyone else find the art took a huge dive when they kept switching artists I mean switched to David? I could even spot a couple panels where the eyes on MJ weren't spaced properly. It was really a shame that Bagley left (what were his reasons anyway?), but Immonen did a great job replacing him.

He did 111 issues. Also he became DC exclusive for a while.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Cubemario posted:

I didn't like LaFuente at first, but it grew on me pretty quick. His cartoony style really worked for the title, especially since his volume had so much more of the high school drama stuff. It reminded me a lot of that Mary Jane title that ran a while back, and gave it kind of an all-ages feel. It was fun, just a whole lot of fun...until Peter's guts fell out and he and the Goblin killed each other, but at least Miles should be interesting.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I love LaFuente's work. His Hellcat mini with Kathryn Immonen is a lot of fun and New Mutants is one of my favorite Marvel on-goings. I thought he was a good fit for UCSM at the time with the tone they had. Stuart Immonen worked well too and I'm looking forward to Pichelli continuing on with the book. Chris Samnee also did the final Death of Spider-Man prologue, that was great stuff but I love pretty much everything he does. Thor: The Mighty Adventure and Captain America & Bucky are both really fun books.

Bagley however I never really liked all that much. Ultimate Spider-Man was generally a good book with competent art, there was just never anything about Bagley's style I found particularly inspired or interesting.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I associate Ultimate Comics with bright colors and bold pen, and so far every artist on USM has nailed it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish Immonen could have stayed on USM forever and ever and ever, Bagley completely bores me as an artist and Lafuente is good but not perfect.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Lurdiak posted:

I wish Immonen could have stayed on USM forever and ever and ever, Bagley completely bores me as an artist and Lafuente is good but not perfect.

Immonen is definitely one of my favorite artists, what is he drawing these days? I remember liking Bagley while I was reading his early USM stuff, but man it was really jarring to see him come back for the Death of Ultimate Spider-Man arc. I was kind of disappointed with the art it felt like a step back.

Spurite Based
Jan 18, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I agree about Immonen and Lafuente. Pichelli really grew on me during the recent Black Cat/Mysterio arc.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Immonen was loving perfect. It was a huge bummer to see him go.

Spurite Based
Jan 18, 2005

I even like saying his name.

Immonen.

It doesn't work when I type it, but you get it.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

Immonen is definitely one of my favorite artists, what is he drawing these days?

He's working on a little art project called "Fear Itself."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When I first heard that Bagely was leaving, I was sad. Then it was announced that Immonen was taking over, and I was happy. Then Immonen left, and I didn't really like anyone after him until Bagely came back.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I was overjoyed when Bags was announced but once the issues started coming out I just wasn't feeling it. The title has moved on without him and he is definitely better off on other projects.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bagley is still my favorite modern Spider-Man artist, JRSR is my favorite ever. But I loved Immonen too. I can see why people didn't like LaFuente. I didn't really mind the art though. I thought it fit the stories that were going on at the time. I can't see how anyone wouldn't like Pichelli though. Her art is great. Probably my favorite on the series after Bagley.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Bagley is still my favorite, I haven't read Death of Spider-Man yet so I don't have an opinion on his art there. Immonen certainly was excellent, but I did like Lafuente's covers, just not the rest of it. Pichelli is good and I liked what she was doing and I'll be interested to see her work in the new Ultimate Spider-Man.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Deadpool posted:

I have a bookshelf in one room that had all of my Ultimate Marvel TPBs on it. I had every single TPB that has come out so far with the exception of Ultimate Adventures, Ultimate Iron Man 1&2, and a few of the newer volumes. Today there was roof damage and water leakage above that room. All but 21 of the trades were completely ruined. Including every single one of my Ultimate Spider-Man trades. What an awful thing to come home to today. I'm about to have to spend a lot of money getting those books back. :(

Email me at my username @gmail.com and lets make a deal!

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
So I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding "reborn" here. Is the idea that the other ultimate titles have no impact on the story here? That they provide backstory but are unnecessary to enjoy the new ones? Or just so they can start from #1 again but are continuous?

Anyway I picked up hawkeye #1 and enjoyed it a lot, never really touched the old ultimate titles but used to read a lot of x-titles back in the day. It's about time we see someone with a bow and arrow shoot people in head rather than shoot chandeliers and crap

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

That was a new wasp that showed up. She was introduced in Millar's new Ultimates.

A page back, but that wasn't the Red Wasp. That was supposed to be Janet. Ultimate Doomsday was riddled with artist errors.

here's a few more examples:

-Thor and Iron Man show up in their old costumes (same page as Wasp gently caress-up)
-Spider-Man has a big red circle on his back instead of his spider symbol (same page as Wasp gently caress-up)
-616 SHIELD symbol shows up in a few places, instead of the (cooler) Ultimate one
-Wolverine shows up in his 616 outfit in the Ultimate Power flashback

And speaking of artist errors, while I like Sara Pichelli, I can't help but be sort of wary of any continued involvement on her part in the series, mainly because she drew Tony Stark with an arc reactor in his chest during his appearance in Ultimate Spider-Man. I mean, way to show you've never read an Ultimate book prior to this assignment. Same goes for the Ultimate Doomsday guy.

I know these kinds of things don't affect the story at all, but it still bothers me. Just do some loving research and stop assuming Ultimate = 616 (visually, at least).

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax
Spoilers for Ultimates:

What do comic book writers have against Uruguay? This is the second time it's been nuked, in two different companies.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Bulgaroktonos posted:

Spoilers for Ultimates:

What do comic book writers have against Uruguay? This is the second time it's been nuked, in two different companies.

It sounds like You're a gay and they dont want anyone making that joke.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Bulgaroktonos posted:

Spoilers for Ultimates:

Rand McNally is still OK though right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

whatsabattle posted:

Rand McNally is still OK though right?
Other than a few hats falling off their feet, yeah, they're okay.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ChuckDHead posted:

Definitely. Warren Ellis turned out to be kind of a dick when he posted here, but I still think Nextwave is one of the best things Marvel have published in years.

Eh, he wasn't a dick.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

omnibobb posted:

Email me at my username @gmail.com and lets make a deal!

Thanks for the offer, but I spent most of the rest of the day that day tracking down pretty much all the stuff I needed on eBay and Amazon.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Oh and did they ever follow up on Strange's demon orb thing releasing all that evil? I can't even remember if the FF managed to beat Dormammu or what.

Oh yeah, and did we ever find out who that silhouetted person who recovered Stephen's body was?

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
My buddy has a ton of trades and I read the first Ultimates one. It was horrible. Is this a common problem with the Ultimate universe? I read the first year or two of Ultimate Spidey and liked it all right, but man, Ultimates was just horrific.

Spurite Based
Jan 18, 2005

I thought the first Ultimates trade was the best one v:shobon:v

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Captain Corduroy posted:

My buddy has a ton of trades and I read the first Ultimates one. It was horrible. Is this a common problem with the Ultimate universe? I read the first year or two of Ultimate Spidey and liked it all right, but man, Ultimates was just horrific.

This opinion is not very common, usually the Ultimates 1 and 2 are considered some of the best offerings of the Ultimate Universe.

What specifically was "horrific" about it, and are you sure it wasn't Ultimates 3 or Ultimatum instead?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Myrddin Emrys posted:

This opinion is not very common, usually the Ultimates 1 and 2 are considered some of the best offerings of the Ultimate Universe.

What specifically was "horrific" about it, and are you sure it wasn't Ultimates 3 or Ultimatum instead?

Please be more careful when you're posting Those Words. :)

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

prefect posted:

Please be more careful when you're posting Those Words. :)

PTSD is a harsh mistress.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

Jeez, okay, maybe I'm in the minority, but I couldn't stand the characterization of...nearly anybody, really. The last scene with Ant-Man and Wasp had me in basically total disbelief. What did they do to the Hulk? Why is literally everyone in this book a colossal rear end in a top hat?

Like, I guess I enjoy team-up books more when it's about "people with generally good intentions but differing ideology/methodology given the task of defending the free world" and not about "a group of fundamentally broken people being assholes to each other".

Take a shot any time someone drops a celebrity name and two any time Thor says "military-industrial complex".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Corduroy posted:

Jeez, okay, maybe I'm in the minority, but I couldn't stand the characterization of...nearly anybody, really. The last scene with Ant-Man and Wasp had me in basically total disbelief. What did they do to the Hulk? Why is literally everyone in this book a colossal rear end in a top hat?

Like, I guess I enjoy team-up books more when it's about "people with generally good intentions but differing ideology/methodology given the task of defending the free world" and not about "a group of fundamentally broken people being assholes to each other".

Take a shot any time someone drops a celebrity name and two any time Thor says "military-industrial complex".

It's definitely different. I guess I'd describe it as "what if super heroes happened in the real world". Nobody is as good and pure and kind as comic-book heroes; if it happened in this world, you know they'd be enormous assholes. (And some of them do become more sympathetic over time.)

A real Nazi-fighting soldier from the '40s would probably be a bit of a prick. A real Norse god probably wouldn't be an enormous fan of the US government/military. A guy who accidentally turns himself into the strongest creature on the planet might not just want to be left alone with friendly woodland critters. An alcoholic billionaire genius who built a suit of armor might not be the most reliable guy. (You can make the case that they were a little too hard on Ultimate Hank Pym. But they definitely did something different and interesting, if not likeable.)

If you didn't care for the Ultimates approach, you probably need to avoid The Boys. :)

prefect fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 8, 2011

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

Oh yeah, and did we ever find out who that silhouetted person who recovered Stephen's body was?

Nope. But considering that was only in Ultimatum, it very well could just be forgotten about. Ultimate Dr. Strange Jr wasn't very important anyway.

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity

Oh yeah and he was all crazy in Ultimatum too! I forgot about that. You could definitely see the seeds of Ultimate Doom in that mini, especially the end. I really hated the idea of Ultimatum and the mini itself, but it definitely did provide for some pretty cool changes to the Ultimate universe. At least they didn't kill Peter off in the Ultimatum wave like they teased. Oh and did they ever follow up on Strange's demon orb thing releasing all that evil? I can't even remember if the FF managed to beat Dormammu or what.

Yeah, they whupped Dormammu, Sue put a force-field over his head and johnny turned his flames to max so that he expended all the oxygen inside the bubble and his flames went out, causing him to transform back to a human with some weird magic wand, and basically run off into the ruins of new york, never to be seen again. Felt a little weird of them to beat him in such a simple way, after he'd just made Dr.Strange look like someone left the lid off the toothpaste.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Captain Corduroy posted:

I think the thing that's unique about the Ultimates is that it more or less exists as a way to keep superheroes busy while the world figures out what the gently caress to do with them. This is especially evident in Ultimates 1+2 where they mostly just bitch and fight amongst themselves.

Unlike, say, the 616 Avengers, they don't really fight massive threats. They ARE the massive threats. So they just stick them in a tower together to keep them from doing something stupid.

I'd say that the Ultimates is a much more realistic take on what happens when you put like 6 alpha males together on one team.

Also Ultimate Cap is an rear end in a top hat because he's from the 40s and thinks everyone today is soft. 616 Cap was only frozen for like, what, 10 or 20 years? This Cap was frozen for 60. He hasn't adjusted, not even a little.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Captain Corduroy posted:

All your questions can be answered with two words. Mark Millar. The post Loeb/Millar Ultimates stuff, in particular Aaron, Hickmans and Bendis' use of the characters has toned down the immediately dated celebrity stuff and the Ultimates aren't full out assholes now.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

All your questions can be answered with two words. Mark Millar. The post Loeb/Millar Ultimates stuff, in particular Aaron, Hickmans and Bendis' use of the characters has toned down the immediately dated celebrity stuff and the Ultimates aren't full out assholes now.

Oh jeez, no wonder. I didn't even check the writer's name. That does answer all of my questions. Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Myrddin Emrys posted:

616 Cap was only frozen for like, what, 10 or 20 years? This Cap was frozen for 60. He hasn't adjusted, not even a little.
No, 616 Cap was frozen for about 50 years. Initially it was about 20, but Marvel Time has moved it forward since the FF have only been around for something like 12 years now.

• Locked thread