Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Boy howdy there was some hateful bullshit on that letters page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Dacap posted:

Keep in mind that was just a small sample of the stuff that was tame enough to print, some of the comments that have shown up online were just downright sickening.

I've not seen any and I'm frightened to ask but... Well, I'm a real rubbernecker. :(

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Deadpool posted:

Ultimate Hawkeye was pretty good this week, but Ultimate X-Men was great. I really loved that first issue. Laid a lot of good groundwork going forward. I also like that Ultimate Hawkeye kind of clued us in on what happened to Karen, Liz, Derek and Hulk after Jimmy left.

I'm not that big on how it basically recycled more than half an issue from an issue of Ultimate Fallout.

Can you tell me who Karen, Liz, Derek and Jimmy are? Also why is Jean Gray calling herself something else now?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Evil Sagan posted:

Okay, so reading The Ultimates has totally sold me on Ultimate Comics. So I gotta know... just how good are Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Hawkman? Do I want to pick these up first thing after work today or what?

Ultimate Hawkeye was pretty goddamn boss. X-men is the weakest at the moment but I get the feeling it is going to be a slow burner.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I didn't realise that hyper evolutionary time pockets had become a cliche.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Evil Sagan posted:

Thanks for the breakdown guys. My initial foray into Ultimate Comics has been good to me thanks to this thread, so I'll just go ahead and pick up X-Men and Hawkeye.

This is getting to be an expensive habit.

Welcome to comics, I guess!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Spurite Based posted:

I really love how we'll be getting an Ultimate comic every week and, because of Ultimate Fallout and having a closer knit continuity, each issue feels like a new chapter of one big story.

Gotta agree. I think that this relaunch has been the best and most consistent one this year :v:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

invalid user posted:

I remember red and super strength. Eh, oh well.

Again, not sure how you got Kitty out of that.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Look, can we all just agree that invalid user is always wrong and move on? :P

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Ultimates 3 was honestly one of the worst comics I have ever read.

Is it Ultimate X this week?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Went into my local shop today and was like "Oh boy! I wonder what new Ultimate Comic it is this week!" figuring it'd be 4 titles to 4 weeks and, since it's NEW COMIC DAY (oh boy!) there'd be one. I was disappointed to find not a single new issue in the Ultimate Comics line. Last week had UCSM and Ultimates though. Are they just putting out UCSM whenever the hell they feel like it or has something been delayed?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I think he did. Kind of annoyed they're bringing Magneto back to be honest :v:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I've got to hope that we see some reference to South Eastern China 'falling' and The World in Ultimate Spider-man. That'd make me happy.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

Miles' timeline is a bit behind the current Ultimate Universe, though. Like, Spiderman JUST got shot, whereas Ultimates are a month or so ahead.

I know but I'd like to see something about it in an issue further down the line.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

invalid user posted:

Have we seen anything that might indicate that Reed might essentially be trying to forcibly evolve the rest of the humans as they get assimilated into The City?

I'm wondering if this is going to be one of those things where the villain's plan would totally have been ok had it not been so, you know, villainous. Like when Hal tried to rewrite time to make things more more pleasant.

Or the time The Flash did it.

Oh.

Wait.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Gettin' kinda mad that this whole 'one comic a week' thing has broken down again. :(

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Why would anyone feel bad for the hulk? He's found Betty again!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Maybe all asians are genetic engineers? Like... some sort of extension of the 'good at math' thing?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Really cool world building, but it didn't really leave an impact on me. The ending was really, really open-ended. Like ridiculously.

So open ended in fact that it advertised the comic it was gonna be continued in :v:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

You're not talkin' to yourself, HNB.

UXM needs to sort its poo poo out and start actually doing something. USM was wonderful today and I really, really like how cute it is. Bendis is doing really, really good work on it.

One thing I am missing, though, is the one new comic a week thing. That was great to have and kept things feeling constant whereas the current release shedule seems a little scattershot at the moment. Are comics getting delayed by a week or so fairly regularly or am I just being dumb? Basically: I wonder what the next mini will be.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah Ultimates seems like it ended it's first story arc two issues too early. I haven't read 5 yet but the whole line seems like it's kind of treading water at the moment. What happened in UXM could so far have been boiled down to a couple of issues. Ultimates seems like it just sort of ended and now it's trying to string out what's going on until someone works out who everything pieces together.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I'm not sure but I know that Hickman is taking over from Fraction at the end of issue 6 of the Ultimates so things will probably kick up a notch and we'll start seeing some resolution to these things.

An insane, stupid and poorly signposted resolution but a resolution none the less.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Dacap posted:

Um, I thought Hickman has written all five issues so far, not Fraction?

Oh. Well then. That throws what's happened so far into rather sharp relief.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Just finished reading Ultimate X-men 7 and... welp. I'm a little disappointed that they've decided to go down this particular route.

Also I burst out laughing when I saw there was that full body picture of Scarlet Witch. It is easily the most hilarious and needlessly cheese cakey panel I've seen in a long time and I read Vampire Vixens of the Wermacht (check it out, it's as awesome as it sounds). It honestly seems like as well as enhanced strength and added toughness the standard mutation that all mutants get are 'double d's at least'

Kind of annoyed that Ultimate X-men isn't going anywhere very fast. The first issue was dull but the line that was pretty much 'I'm Kitty Pryde and this is how I became the worlds most wanted terrorist' was enough to sell me on it. This issue might have been enough to make me skip next months unless it reviews well.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I dunno I don't think so. I remember there being a couple of really awkward full body shots of Kitty and Rogue in pretty much the same place as Wanda. One thing that kind of annoys me is how far off model it is - Wanda was a skinny, dark haired girl with eurotrash leanings. I guess the first time that really started to go 'off' was when Joe Mad did Ultimates 3 and basically drew characters looking however the gently caress he fancied and in a way that made it seem a lot like he'd mistaken it for 616.

And now, because I can:

It's you, comics. She's talking to you.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I'm honestly tempted to put it in funny panels.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Only Ultimate Spider-man this week. It'd be nice if Marvel hadn't spoiled the covers for the different issues over the course of the last month or so too! Also, hasn't there been a Scorpion in USM before now?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Dacap posted:

It's too bad they're introducing a new Scorpion because a demented Peter clone could be an interesting villain for Miles

Well it would be but not right away. Give him time to get to the point where he's working his rear end off, idolising Peter and then pull the rug out from under him with the whole 'ah yes but this is what happens to you if you're a hero here is evil peter parker now what!'

Don't go all guns blazing at the start.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Anyone read the new Ultimate X men yet? Is it worth buying? Is there a panel that makes me wish I was reading a copy of Viz on the train rather than a copy of X-men like last month?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Wachter posted:

Funny how Ultimate Hulk is somehow far more frightening than uberpowerful Worldbreaker 616 Hulk. When he jumped down off that satellite, I was like, "poo poo's on." Hickman, Ribic, and White are writing/drawing/colouring the gently caress out of this book.

It's because we haven't really seen what Hulk can do in the Ultimate universe. Worldbreaker just goes around, punches things and moves on. Maybe there's more to it than that but it seems a lot like Hulk in 616 has been overexposed - there's no mystery there anymore. The only time we've seen him get close to opening up it took the entire Ultimates team to take him down and then he blew up a fleet of alien space ships. He is their walking warcrime, they tactical nuke on two legs.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Enjoying that She Hulk hasn't been entirely forgotten about but I kind of wish they'd start to wrap up some of the storyline stuff, especially with Ultimate X Men: There's the NIMROD robot plotline, the kids going to Tian, the Magneto-Xavier are back thing, the Quicksilver thing and now SHIELD turncoats.

There are too many threads that need to be wrapped up. Still I'm intrigued by the direction that's being pushed in with UXM and Fury but my mind wasn't exactly blown when they did the huge, exposition dialogue of "We must continue our deception!" in the ultimates. It is a bit 'HEY GUYS WE'RE BUILDING A JUPITER BRAIN ON EARTH' :(

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Christ, Steve Dillon isn't suited to drawing cape books.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I love the cover to this months USM. It continues the fine Marvel tradition of having poo poo on your cover that has literally no bearing at all on what's inside the book.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Welp.

"If ever we have a cross over between 616 and the ultimate universe we'll officially have run out of ideas."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah it's just... Christ, I know that Ultimate storytelling is decompressed and all but UXM is really starting to take the piss. We're only just starting to resolve the Nimrod 'HIS WILL' plotline from 5 months ago and if you think that this fight with the Nimrod's is going to be over in one or two issues at the rate this poo poo is going you're kidding yourself.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If x-men was every 2 weeks I wouldn't complain about the pacing. The story has been good.

Colossus :stare:

Yeah but it's not so we can.

Also I remember during the announcement about the new writer on Ultimates where he said 'I'm going to throw everything off a cliff' or something. I was sort of under the impression that everything has just been thrown off a cliff and was still plunging to the ground at a kajillion miles an hour.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Yup.

I read the last page and was like :staredog: for a good 10 minutes.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

ITS TOO MUCH LIKE SIX ONE SI-

Welp.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hey so wanna know something weird? There was more outcry about the changes to Spider-man than there's been over the whole 'we blew up the white house, killed the president and then nuked the whole of washington with a child that was also a bio weapon' thing.

Just struck me as odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

Wasn't the Vice President also a vampire?

Maybe. I dunno, it was Mark Millar though so I don't think anyone cares.

Rhyno posted:

Buildings are blown up in comics every day. There will be more presidents and destroying entire cities is nothing new.

Peter Parker is was and always will be Spider-man.

Well he's not been. Like, in the mindset of people that don't really know about comics maybe sure but Peter Parker spent a fair bit of time not being Spider-man in 616 and now Miles is Spidey in the UU and, to be honest, I kind of like him more than Ultimate Pete. He seems like he's gonna have less of a whinge about things. It just struck me as kind of sad that that was what got peoples hackles up rather than the whole... comic book representing what's basically a terrorist attack on the US government.

• Locked thread