Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TollTheHounds posted:

You probably also think Bolt Thrower aren't boring garbage.

Sorry you have terrible taste in metal.

As for more Ghostbath/Deafheaven stuff, I'd recommend:

Altar of Plagues - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEMpI2PjNQ0
Fen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SugWEW9VWo
Vattnet Viskar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdXkg4xYL5M (not whatever that new poo poo is they just put out though, holy gently caress that's awful)
Inter Arma - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z84Xkg8acS4
Caina - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3vkD5j5Gw
An Autumn for Crippled Children - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM-aXFuR9P8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A human heart posted:

Lunar Aurora were vaguely in that ballpark but they were actually good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2g57E3XiUw

Yes. Lunar Aurora is so loving good. I get that blackgaze/post-black rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but there's something about building off of the 2nd wave Norwegian stuff that really appeals to me.

Besides, as much as I love poo poo that sounds like it was recorded on a broken tapedeck from 1989, the sheer ammount of awful 2nd wave worship that's out there is both staggering and frustrating.

I do really like the recent resurgence of 1st wave style stuff too. Black Thrash or whatever the gently caress it's being called now, although I'm personally fond of "Black n' Roll" as a genre name.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nordick posted:

Well I literally just now finished watching their latest live DVD* for the first time, and having witnessed her and the band absolutely loving kill even the songs from the last album (which I agree isn't very exciting), all I'm gonna say to that is "lol get the gently caress out".

* EDIT: Well, disc 2 of the 3 disc set as it turns out. Disc 1 has a different gig on it, gonna check that out next.

Seriously though, if there's anyone left here besides me who still has any love for Nightwish, check out Vehicle of Spirit, at least disc 2 with the Tampere show. One of the better live recordings I remember ever seeing.

This. I was always just OK with Nightwish because I never liked Tarja's vocals. Yes she's a great singer, but she just didn't fit that band to me. Whatsherface who replaced her was fine, but it was super clear on Imaginerium that she was not the right fit for the band either, and Floor absolutely kills those tracks on "Showtime, Storytime" from a couple years ago.

"Endless Forms" is kinda boring and feels like "Imaginerium" except instead of "Fairy Tales are cool" it's "Science is Cool". There are some fun tracks on it for sure, but gently caress you if you think I'm sitting through that 20 minute closing track. I did it for "Imaginerium" and I'm not doing it for this.

"Vehicle of Spirit" is super good though and both the Wembly show and the Tampre show have some great moments, although I think if you pulled the best versions of each song from both sets you could make a perfect performance out of it.

Nightwish is my guilty pleasure band.

Now I'm going back to listening to Woods of Ypres and being sad that I'll never get another album from them.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

hopterque posted:

You've listened to Thrawsunblat I hope? It's the same dudes, without David Gold for obvious reason (RIP).

Their latest album Metachthonia is really great imo.

I had not, so thank you.
e: I was thinking of "Northern Ontario Black Metal Preservation Society" as the other project I knew Gold had been involved in.

Nordick posted:

Yeah Endless Forms was somewhat disappointing. A few good songs, but mostly too samey and it felt a bit lacking in energy. And I wasn't too impressed by the mammoth closing track either, but on Vehicle of Spirit I was absolutely rapt all the way through it, as the live version just sounds so much better and more energetic. I'm listening to the album version just now and, while the live version did give me a newfound appreciation for the song, this still sounds pretty weaksauce in comparison.

Another reason why Endless Forms was disappointing is that it grossly underutilizes Floor's vocal talent. She is an amazingly versatile and powerful singer, but on the album she just uses this smooth pop style all the way and the mix is pretty lame on her voice too. On Vehicle of Spirit she gets to unleash herself and it is just glorious to witness. That woman has more charisma in just her left armpit than Tarja and Anette combined. It's almost as great watching her sing as it is to listen to it, because she's just so into it.

Yeah that's what stood out to me about Endless, especially since "Showtime" had spent such a long time in my rotation. Floor has pipes and she can hit those high notes like Tarja, so I'm not sure why they didn't let her do more on the album. I'm going to blame Toumas because he writes everything, and he might not have moved past writing for Anette's voice just yet. I dunno, but I gotta admit every track they played from Endless on Vehicle sounds so much better and has way more energy. Also whoever they have on drums currently is really good and I'd kinda be OK if he took over full time.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 26, 2017

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nordick posted:

That would be Kai Hahto who is probably the best drummer* in Finnish metal, and last I heard he actually is a full-time member since 2014.

*: or that's the impression I've gotten of the general consensus, I know fuckall about drumming so I can't really tell.

I knew he was filling in for their original drummer due to health reasons, but I wasn't sure what had happened with him. I also know dick about drums but that drum intro he does for....Weak Fantasy (I think) sounds so much better in that live setting.

Basically what I'm saying is I want Nightwish to sound more like they did on Vehicle on their next album. They've got the energy and the talent but maybe it's just over production or something that saps that on the album.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uSM-ihNGHs

Bolt Thrower

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TollTheHounds posted:

New Myrkur song/video release

https://youtu.be/M9cNZQIzShc

It's really good! I think she has played to her strengths, it's primarily clean/choir sung vocals on top of plodding drums/guitar for the bulk of the song, with a screaming/sped up part in the middle.

I dig it, but those strings/guitar sound super familiar and I can't place what song it reminds me of at the moment. Maybe early Emperor? Yeah it reminds me of a slowed down version of Inno A Satanna or I Am The Black Wizards in that main riff.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nordick posted:

Yeah I'm normally allergic to anything that even remotely smells of weeaboos, but Whispered are freaking dope. Shogunate Macabre is their best album, be sure to check that out if you didn't already.

For some more oriental sounds (Taiwanese to be exact), check out ChthoniC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5z-AOdCAx8

ChthoniC is really dope.

I've been really enjoying Rudra from Singapore (?) recently. Lyrics deal mostly with Hindu legends and it's a pretty cool mix of traditional instruments and blackish metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0FIJrH9_k&list=PL4tGegmWmcBTjRXtJdouqwdhV9gNy6r9V

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Aw that's awesome. I googled them and they look like complete weirdos in the best way.

That's a fascinating theme, I'll have to read up on that while listening sometime to get a better context.

ChthoniC's lead singer was elected to office in Taiwan last year or the year before. Such a good band and I love the how they work traditional instruments into their songs.

I do kinda miss the really crazy outfits they used to wear, I think they've gone with a more streamlined military look now which still looks cool as gently caress.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

silvergoose posted:

With so much to listen to, I'm just listening to fuckin Dark Passion Play on repeat, I don't care who sings it I really like the songs. :(

It's not a bad album. Personally I think Floor does those songs much better, but it's not a bad album on the whole.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

silvergoose posted:

I believe it. I guess I can listen to some of those on wembley and showtime, storytime?

I got my 2.5 year old son to listen to bye bye beautiful and amaranth, and now he can say "nightwis!" so that's cool.

Yes actually.

Last of the Wilds and Amaranth are on Showtime, Storytime and 7 Days to the Wolves, The Poet and the Pendulum, Amaranth, and The Islander are all on Vehicle of Spirit (split between Wembly and Tempre)

Within Temptation was real good until.......The Heart of Everything. That album was just boring as hell to me, and way too poppy for my taste. Everything since has been further down the poppy route and I don't like it.

And yes I realize the irony of saying I enjoy Nightwish more than WT because WT got too "Poppy".

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think it's my love of full on pure pop music that lets me enjoy the poppy symphonic metal bands to be honest. I can understand why a lot of people hate it.

Which is funny because I don't outright hate pop music generally speaking. I find a lot of modern pop music terribly boring, but it's a genre that has spawned some really good albums over the years.

I'll give their later stuff a second chance, but I liked their early stuff because it felt a smidgen more serious and heavy than Nightwish tends to be.

But I have a weird thing with symphonic heavy metal/power metal, in that I embrace the cheese, but you gotta give me something to work with besides falsetto vocals and wheedly-wheedly guitar wankery and Dungeons and Dragons lyrics.

It's why I enjoy Blind Guardian but can't deal with Sonata Arctica.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nordick posted:

Anette's voice is really nice and suits a lot of those songs really well. Just... not all of them, plus lol what stage presence. But yeah DPP is a great album overall.

I'd say the Tampere gig is the better one from Vehicle of Spirit, and it's also on Youtube in pretty good quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUSYFGdru4U

The Wembley show is great too and does have Poet and the Pendulum and 7 Days to the Wolves though, so there's that.

Bassist :eng101: And he's pretty great, shame he doesn't do it for you.
Also a reminder that Tuomas sang some leads on their debut album and, well, he stopped doing that for a good reason. :v:

No they aren't, but yeah she really does.

I used to love WT's older albums (Mother Earth and The Silent Force), but haven't listened to them in ages. I find most of their newer stuff boring as poo poo, but The Unforgiving is a loving fantastic pop metal album, energetic and fun and catchy as hell.

I got lucky and managed to catch the Wembley show while it was up on Youtube for like...a day before it got yanked. VoS is a really good live package, as is Storytime but I still think the version of "Ghost Love Score" on Storytime is the best of the three live versions with Floor. She really fucks up that last high note in the Temepre show and it's clear she knows she hosed it up from her reaction. She went for it, and came up a bit short that night. Happens.

Marco's voice is pretty good, and I think he tends to sound a hell of a lot better on album than he does live, but he's got so much passion live that it makes up for it. Not like ICS Vortex who sounds amazing on album and then does a bunch of weird poo poo with his vocals live.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Mikael Akerfeldt's Smooth Moves: a prog tribute to Bolt Thrower.

tote up a bags posted:

"Bolts From Heaven, a Nightwish tribute to Bolt Thrower"

tote up a bags posted:

Power of the bolt: manowar plays bolt thrower

tote up a bags posted:

THROWER OV BOLTS: Behemoth tribute to Bolt Thrower

Would listen to all of these.

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Realm of Chaos is my favorite to listen to.

Realms of Chaos is where I started and I knew nothing about them prior to this thread.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Napalm Death are workin' on a new record.

If it's as good as the last one then :getin:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I like this song and I don't hate the album but it's not something I listen to frequently.

I can listen to that album front to back for days.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Spatulater bro! posted:

As a child of the 80s I feel no nostalgia whatsoever for cassette tapes. Just like VHS, they're lovely and went away for a reason. I get the feeling that people who get into this "retro" stuff are too young to have actually suffered through it.

Are tapes making a comeback across all music or is it mostly just metal?

It's only metal that I've see so far, and even then it's mostly been Black Metal bands that I've seen with tape releases. I don't care how a band decides to release an album but for fucks sake at least give us a digital option.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm in a horror VHS group on Facebook because theres some cool stuff that was only ever released on VHS, or people have cool and unique editions of a film.

Let me be clear though, VHS people are loving nuts. Like certified wacko. They are obsessed and there's constantly wars between people over their crappy tapes. Some of them outright refuse to watch anything that isn't on VHS on a beaten up CRT TV. Like I can understand it for some super low budget films, but if you want to watch something as beautifully filmed as Suspiria on a poo poo setup in the wrong aspect ratio on a format that can't do red properly, be my guest. I saw some people throw a legitimate fit because someone trashed their collection, which was just things like Independence Day and Speed tapes.

This. VHS fans are kinda obnoxious and while I agree that something like Texas Chainsaw has an extra ambiance on VHS, the format just sucks.

Danny LaFever posted:

You might be confusing the "smart" thing with your preference. You mentioned NWN, so I'll use them. YK, the label owner, mentioned the label itself continues to exist primarily because of vinyl sales. Tape, CDs and Digital just don't move the needle enough. That said, he often uses Bandcamp with no buy option, so people can hear the music, and hopefully buy the vinyl.

And with Metal, especially the underground, there are plenty of bands that go out of their way to make their music less accessible. They're not making a living off this, and maximizing sales are not their primary concern.

With regard to NWN I understand they're in business to make money so offer what will sell, but the idea of bands saying "We're going to release this on the most obscure format because we don't care about sales" is fine but it's also really stupid.

They are limiting a potential audience and in that case you might as well just do what a bunch of the old French Les Legion Noir bands did and not actually release the stuff beyond your circle of friends.

As a musician you should want people to hear your music, and releasing it in a way that the most possible people can hear it makes the most sense, otherwise why bother releasing it at all? It reeks of "TRVE CULT UNDERGROUND" bullshit elitism.

I'm still waiting for someone to release their album on 8 track or maybe one of those Edison style wax wheel things, if you're going to be a pretentious twit why not go all in.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

As a kid it was always a quandary when faced with a 47 minute CD and a 45 minute per side tape. Do you drop the least favorite song? Put the last song on the other side and dub the second album after? Just let it get as far as it can and let it chop off the end?

I swear some songs I still have engrained in my memory where a chop off or tape warble occurred when listening to it as a kid, and still think that's going to happen on the MP3 of it.

I've got a few albums with wonky MP3 tracks because they were ripped from damaged CDs and I'm so used to hearing those odd glitches or warbles that when I hear one of those songs on something else without it, I'm confused for a second.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I saw Entombed AD this year and it was the most dull set I've ever seen. The only good song they played was Left Hand Path.

Made me sad.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

LG didn't didn't pull a cap off a beer using just his teeth? It made me a fan for life. They also played a good mix of new A.D. stuff with songs from the first 3 albums.

I don't remember seeing him do that. I just remember being super underwhelmed and bored through the whole set. He did come out for "Guardians of Asgard" which was kinda neat. Amon Amarth was super fun live.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Danny LaFever posted:

Stella Polaris? Yeah a bit

Voitto tai Valhalla also has some upbeat, cheery sounding stuff to my ears.

Nokturnal Mortem's "Goat Horns" album had keyboards that sound like they ripped them off from Final Fantasy 7.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A human heart posted:

That album has really bad sounding instruments in general, like the guitars sound very thin and video gamey as well. It's actually somehow not a bad album though, because Nokturnal Mortum have usually been good at making very stupid musical ideas work.

Oh yeah I actually really love that album. It's completely different and weird in a really wonderful way.

E: I'd put it up there with Obtained Enslavement's "Witchcraft" album for surprisingly good, but also kinda loving weird black metal albums.

https://youtu.be/o-OPe_AlDeM

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 10, 2017

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Kind of a vague request, but I'm looking for more stuff like A Blaze in the Northern Sky. Specifically, I like how restrained it sounds, and how soulful the riffs are. For the most part it's not super fast and the riffs are pretty basic. I grew up on tech-death and stuff but I seem to be regressing backwards so that now I only like stuff that's simple and produced like poo poo

Under a Funeral Moon and Transylvanian Hunger round out that trilogy of albums and are all fantastic.

I'd say Burzum's first album and the ASKE ep are both in a similar vein. Really all of Burzum is pretty simple, repetitive riffing. It's not for everyone and Varg is a dipshit but all the Burzum albums, with the exception of the ambient ones (names escaping me) are all low fi, simple black metal.

The Mayhem demos after Deathcrush before De Mysteries was released fit that style a bit too.

For sure check out the other two Darkthrone albums I mentioned, they're both great and Transylvanian Hunger may be one of my favorite black metal songs ever recorded.

E: Weakling "Dead as Dreams"

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 11, 2017

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A human heart posted:

Lots of the riffs on A Blaze are like straight up Celtic Frost worship, so maybe listen to Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion. Probably Hellhammer also.

Oh duh, totally spaced out on early Celtic Frost and especially the Hellhammer stuff.

To continue the Varg derail for just a moment, he released 3 metal albums post prison, "Belus" "Fallen" and "Umskiptar" which were good.

Everything he's released since has been garbage ambient, and I actually enjoy his other ambient stuff. "Daudi Baldrs" was the best of the original batch of ambient albums.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The new Myrkur album is out, and it's different.

There's considerably more English vocals on the album which is fine, but the lyrics aren't amazing. The couple of tracks with Chelsea Wolfe are pretty cool. It's certainly building off what she did with M, but still lacks the rawness of the Mykur EP that I enjoyed so much.

I've only given it one listen, but I'll definitely give it another few spins before I decide how I feel about it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think the smoking section at Arcturus was 100% vapes.

That sounds oddly appropriate.

How we're they live? I like Vortex's vocals but he seems to go a bit overboard with Arcturus and I have a hard time taking it seriously.

I prefer Garm in Arcturus but I just really like his vocals in general.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

[quote="“WAR DOGS OF SOCHI”" post="“476618682”"]
Dave, if you’re reading what these horrible monsters are saying, you put out Rust In Peace, so all is forgiven!
[/quote]

I was listening to that album on the way to work today. So good.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

the yeti posted:

I'm reading Choosing Death, it's pretty entertaining, not too dense (unlike say, Patterson's Black Metal, which is also good but dense reading) and shortish.

Sound of the Beast is a pretty good and if I remember correctly, easy read about metal in general. Patterson's Black Metal is really good, but it is super dense reading. I've read it twice and it's much faster on the second read.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Smirr posted:

I assumed skasion meant actual DSBM garbage like Shining, not whiny hiking metal.

I like my whiny hiking metal :colbert:

And besides the antics, why do so many people seem to hate on Shining?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Still real bummed about David Gold

COOL CORN posted:

Super same.

Super-duper same.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

henpod posted:

Rob Zombie popped in my head for some reason (maybe I saw a homeless guy) so I decided to give this album a spin again. It's actually still pretty awesome, and I think the first hard rock/metal album I ever bought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tZvyM4ZaY

I wore that album out. It holds up pretty well even now, although there are some meh parts here and there.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Decibel Magazine Tour lineup got announced: Enslaved, Wolves in the Throne Room, Myrkur and Khemmis.

Weird that it has three black(ish) metal bands. It's also earlier than usual.

I saw this posted on instagram a little bit ago. I'll try to get to the SF show if I can because I definitely want to see Wolves and Enslaved live. I saw Myrkur when she toured with Behemoth so I'm interested to see how the new stuff sounds live.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Malaria posted:

My friend made me a CD of Skid Row songs, and I've had it playing in my car for a couple of days.

They are pretty good imo.

Help. I am getting sucked into 80's hair metal.

Where do I go from here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LCfCi_mgpo

Also pretty much everyone suggestions so far are good. I'm not a huge hair metal fan in general, but I recently found Crazy Lixx and it's everything I love about hair metal.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Spatulater bro! posted:

I have two questions for you guys. First, how do you keep track of new metal releases? It always seems you all have listened to every album that came out over the past year. My method is to just stumble across announcements in my FB feed. I know I'm missing out on a lot of stuff.

Second, what's your method for keeping track of what you've listened to and your opinion of it? Do you organize it in some way or just rely on memory?

I typically check Metal Sucks on Friday mornings at work to see what they have on the new release list then check my Google music to see which of those albums are available that I'm interested in.

Usually for AOTY I make a list of all the albums I'm going to (or have) listen to that came out that year and then listen to them all again to decide what makes my top 10 (or 20 depending on how much came out that I listened to).

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Smirr posted:

I'm about to go see Enslaved. I'll try to pay attention to the number of people wearing dadprogrock shirts

What counts as Dadprogrock now? I mean I'd assume Steven Wilson would be in there. Which reminds me his new album is so loving boring, Jesus Christ what a disappointment that was.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

This is correct

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

:( yeah I figured. I used to love them and then they got all 70's prog on my rear end with Heritage.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i imagine sabaton will be the most fedora-ist band you can see, even more so than devin townsend or cynic

Devin Townsend is for old dudes and depressed nerds like me.

Don't lump the fedora dorks in with us. :(

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

skasion posted:

Ocean Machine and Terria are great albums, there’s barely a bad song on either. A lot of his other stuff is only okay though. The monkey cheese humor was cute when I was a teenager but now I mostly find it offputting. The DTP stuff is maybe half good and half what the gently caress am I listening to. I respect that he is willing to step outside of genre confines and make non-metal music but uh, I gotta say he’s not great at it.

I actually thought Transcendence wasn’t bad. Felt very much like a middle aged man trying to be hardcore but what can you do.

Transcendence has some really good stuff on it. I generally like all of his DTP stuff, although there are albums I like better than others. His SYL work, City especially is still pretty great.

Z2 is a real mixed bag, there's some good tracks on the "Sky Blue" side and some good tracks of the Ziltoid side, but neither album really comes together as its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Cradle of Filth heading out this year with VIP tickets as well for just $80 US.

https://ticket.artistarena.com/events/26276

No idea who "Jinjer" is.

I've already seen them 3 times, but I'd consider going to see them on this tour. $80 for VIP isn't awful but I don't think I can see myself dropping $80 to meet the new line up. Although towering of Dani would be pretty funny.