Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

axleblaze posted:

The thing with El Shaddai is that the demo does a terrible TERRIBLE job of explaining the combat and most of it isn't obvious either. Like there's a dodge, but bit it works differently for each weapon. There's a counter but you do it by charging your attack. The combat is fairly simple overall but it also surprising deep given it's simplicity. It's no Bayonetta or even a God of War, but it's actually kind of unique and interesting. That been said, I just started the game and I'm not sure if I actually like said combat, I just know that it's more interesting then the demo made it look.

The game is unbelievably, jaw droppingly gorgeous though...which makes up for alot.

You're not going to have any more luck convincing people than we did. People have already made up their minds about El Shaddai. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Playing WKC (in WKC2) myself, seems totally fine. v:shobon:v Hell of animes, but this thread hardly has a place to complain considering how excited people get about yet another Final Fantasy port. Wish there was an auto-attack to go with the rest of the mmo stuff. Also the DLC is -hilarious-.

I can't find a menu option to do the online stuff, I guess it's only in the real WKC2? I redeemed the code in the manual through the Playstation Store, didn't get an option to download anything so I don't know what's up.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Never played any of these big PS1 JRPGs and based on the LPs of them I've read I feel pretty good about that. Without nostalgia they all seem really terrible.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Vanquish's plot was everything it needed to be. "DUDE SOVIET RUSSIA JUST NUKED SAN FRANSISCO, GO TO THE BIG SPACE STATION AND BLOW UP THEIR COMMUNIST ROBOTS." Perfect.

Krad posted:

Hey, Binary Domain looks pretty cool, third person shooter-clone and all. I'm a sucker for AI/Snatcher ish settings. :shobon:

Hadn't seen gameplay before, doesn't look awful which I guess is meaningful when it comes to shooters from Japan. I'll put up with some middling third-person shooting in exchange for seeing some crazy Snatcher poo poo. That's an exchange that I'm comfortable making.

Policenaut posted:

It's really funny watching the Japanese muddle through their own "obsessed over cover shooters" phase.

Pretty sure it's less about Japan being into shooters and more about Japan being desperate to find someone to buy their games.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I just started Nier, anything I should keep in mind for a first time player?

I see you can buy things for a garden? and there's maps of areas? and I heard you can fish?

Also this game is really fugly at times and in serious need of AA, but perhaps coming off of Killzone 3 isn't the best comparison because that game was gorgeous.

The Dark Id made this handy-dandy flowchart for his LP

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

a shameful boehner posted:

There's a shitload of bugs, there's a ton of gameplay and setup issues, and it just feels extremely generic and samey.

Sounds like a DICE game alright!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just noticed that Neir only shows 720p not 1080p :(

Don't the vast majority of PS3 games only run at 720p?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

What do you mean by this exactly, isn't 720p the most common standard for HDTV?

Many games render at less than 720p and are then bumped up with a software upscaler built into the game. The 360 has a hardware scaler that does the same thing for every game, but it will go up to 1080p if your TV asks for it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Always thought this trailer showed off what God Hand was all about quite well.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Role Play McMurphy posted:

In fact basically it doesn't matter what you do at all except a grade they give you at the end! LA Noire and Dragon Age 2, pioneering ways to make the player powerless, incompetent or just a replaceable cog in the gears of their narrative.

(which is expected in action games but adventure games and RPGs should be held to a higher standard)

In what way does L.A. Noire's structure differ dramatically from every other video game? How many video games permit you to fail the central plot of the game in ways other than failing a combat scenario or something (in the same way that L.A. Noire does)? Please offer examples.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Right, but LA Noire does a bad job of disguising this, because every single player at some point got annoyed during the Homicide desk because the game forced you to make a decision you KNEW was bad in order to continue the oh-so-important story.

That was the entire point of those Homicide cases guy.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Yes. And it was a bad point. That thing works great in a movie, but not in a video game. They were so busy trying to make their game like a movie that they forgot to make it a game, too.

Why is it a bad point? Because I think the way it aligns both the player and the player character against the in-universe establishment that's forcing them to make bad choices is a legitimately clever device for a video game to use, and one that wouldn't work at all outside of a video game.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

Can you guys tell me how the maps in the retail game are different? The things I disliked about the beta were:

-The outside area was quite flat and too open in my opinion, which didn't really make for a fun experience to me. I liked how dense levels were in Bad Company 2 and being presented with the opposite kind of level design in the beta was really disappointing.

-The inside areas were essentially long corridoors, which I also found really unfun since gameplay would devolve into a war of attrition since flanking opportunities were either minimal or non-existant.

Comparatively, I can't think of a map in Bad Company 2 which I didn't find to be really fun to fight on. This is something that turned me off Modern Warfare 3 as well, since I thought the level design in Black Ops was superb but seeing videos of people playing MW3 where it's essentially narrow corridoors that will promote camping really puts me off.

You liked that Arica Harbor map which was literally a giant open tunnel clogged with dust and bloom but complain about the tunnels on Metro? :psyduck:

Best thing about Metro is that it has some of the only areas of the entire game in which you don't spend your time getting killed by people impossible to see thanks to the constant sun in your eyes or clouds of dust or uhhh water on the camera or any other thing the wizards at DICE could think up to obscure your vision.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

J posted:

I've got a few friends bugging me to pick up BF3 but I'm really picky about FPS games and I've never played a battlefield game before. I really like counterstrike and MAG, and really dislike COD and COD clones.

Things that I like:
-MAG's skill point system, I liked all the different types of builds you could do.
-Being able to live for a good length of time with smart, cautious play, and by cautious I don't mean camping in the same spot.
-The overall feel of the game engine in MAG - I felt like my shots went where I aimed, I rarely felt like I died because of "bullshit", the pacing of the movement was fast but not too fast

Things that I hate:
-Airstrikes/artillery/killstreaks/other things that vaporize huge sections of the map and kill you unavoidably
-Grenade spam
-Dudes respawning behind you after you kill them
-Map design where snipers can lock down all the paths on the map and generally can't be flanked
-Map design and game mechanics (chaining killstreaks, dudes respawning behind you) that encourage camping

Would I like BF3 at all? I'd be getting it for PC but I figured I'd ask the PS3 thread because I made several comparisons to MAG. I don't really know what to make of it and my friends can't answer any of my questions they just keep saying "dude it's so awesome."

"Probably". It hits things in both categories but it's much closer to MAG than CoD. You should've played the open beta like everyone else.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Wasn't the whole loading problem in Playstation CT a result of a poor English localization or something? Pretty sure I remember reading that the Japanese version never had that issue.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Fuzz posted:

They were probably just pissed about how Cole killed so many Japs in the war. :smugbert:

Edit: and to be clear, because goons are sensitive and freak out, not being racist here, the game uses that terminology.

1942 was released by Capcom in 1984 and is a video game about an American fighter pilot blowing up the Japanese air fleet on his way to Tokyo. :japan:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hatter106 posted:

Gave the Vanquish demo another shot since I learned that Platinum was developing Metal Gear Rising... a few thoughts...

-Bullet-time shooting is fun, but I find it doesn't really improve my accuracy since I'm rocket-sledding past the enemy's tiny weak point (which is partially obscured under a hail of gunfire) at 500km/s.

-Since there's no life bar, it's tough to tell precisely how much damage you can take before dying, or what kind of enemy attacks are one-hit kills.

-Enemy bosses (like that giant robot in the demo - I'm guessing he must be an end-game boss) are crazy bullet sponges. There's no excuse for me to run out of ammo in an action game like this.

I want to like this game, but I just don't think my reflexes are up to it - the fact that it punishes for for staying in cover too long is also antithesis to how I'm comfortable playing action games.

Nope that's the first boss, probably less than twenty minutes into normal gameplay.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 19, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Stelas posted:

It's fun, but it's pretty objectively broken, and pistol and stealth reign supreme over absolutely any other skill trees you could possibly pick. (Machine guns in particular are absolutely terrible, as they just don't seem to pack any damage whatsoever.)

If you're looking for a serious combat game Alpha Protocol's absolutely not for you, because it's got stuff like lining up perfect headshots from cover and firing six bullets while in matrix time. But if you like that kind of dumb rough-and-readiness, it's great.

I played through the entire game once with machine guns, and another time with shotguns. They're certainly not broken.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Yakuza 1 was a flawed but super fun brawler stuck somewhere inside a very, very dull Shibuya simulator. It pretty much turned me off onto the entire series, and any time people suggest Yakuza, my mind goes back to how ridiculously bland Yakuza 1 got once they dumped you in the opened-up city and expected you to go play pachinko or dress up hookers or whatever the hell.

... but then I watch that one video where the crazy dude jumps to his death for a pair of panties, and begin to wonder if they got way better.

Normally I'm with you on the sentiment, but if the mechanics got way better, at least I would happily skip story and just watch a recap.

Or you could just not do those boring optional parts and continue straight through the cool story parts. You aren't actually obligated to play the parts that you don't enjoy.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Shalinor posted:

And... well, yes, they were time sinks, but that's irrelevant. Presentation matters. The levelling up process in an RPG is a time-sink, but that doesn't mean you should strip it and hard-code the progression so as to better focus the game on the story cutscenes.

Why not?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You've said you dislike handhelds, but that is where JRPGs have flourished this generation for a variety of reasons. I don't think they're in a rut, they've just moved away from big budget console games. Handhelds are no longer at the point where they're "second-class" systems and a lot of developers seem to be taking advantage of that. It's perfectly fine if you dislike them, but it's the same as comparing the Wii to the 360/PS3 or the PS3/360 to the PC. They all have their limitations and good developers take advantage of that.

And nuts to anyone who wants to play them on anything other than a tiny screen.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Most versions of the PSP offers the option to play games on your television?

Aside from the limitations already mentioned, the Vita lacks that option altogether.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

A lot of EA games have built-in messaging functionality like that.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

This probably isn't it but you can certainly count on there being a sequel to Medal of Honor.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

notZaar posted:

Is that really the best they can do with the PS3? Wind Waker did better cartoon style graphics on the Gamecube.

Uh they aren't really going for the same art style

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

The leaked script is full of some really stupid stuff and it looks like a large majority of "game making" decisions made in ME1/2 have virtually no real impact on events in the end. I don't have the link on hand, but I think someone in the ME3 thread might.

Edit: at least that's one of the general complaints, I haven't read the whole thing

I find the idea that people ever believed that Bioware was going to spend absolutely obscene amounts of money to develop a shitload of unique content and endings that a majority of players would never see to be really very funny.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Pretty sure smoking cigarettes makes you heal faster, just like in real life.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

^ natch

Dominic White posted:

People complain so much about demos just being the tutorial/introductory area of a game and treating players like children, but so many folks were turned off by the Vanquish demo because it drops you right into a big battle and then a boss fight.

Funny but that is the introductory area of the game. Just watched a video, if you skip the cutscenes the demo picks up literally five minutes into the full game. I never played the demo but it looks like it has the tutorial in the menu too. So the demo pretty much did all that it could to ease you into what Vanquish is, or rather exactly as much as the full game does. It only gets crazier from there.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I don't think Monster Hunter rates like that.

edit: to be fair I don't think "a casual fighting game featuring all of your favorite Sony mascots!" does either.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Is it going to have tripping? :colbert:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Look forward to games being even more expensive to produce on the next generation of consoles, and all of the repercussions of that.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I was disappointed with the Anarchy Reigns delay, but with a clear head now, I can see Sega does care about Platinum's creations. If they didn't they would never had bothered localizing any of them when they all bombed, nor would they have continued to finance said projects. The localization delay is due to Sega's current financial woes and the fact they would rather wait than outright cancel it paints a different picture than outright malice or incompetence.

Releasing "weird anime game" in Q1 2013 against all of the massive releases happening in the same period is fully the definition of incompetence.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

MW3 did outsell its predecessors and Black Ops 2 topped MW3's first-day preorders (and had ten times the first-day preorders of the first Blops). It is absolutely still growing.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Croccers posted:

How lacking is lacking? I've enjoyed lacking games like that new Sniper Elite, or even games such as the True Crime games (Sleeping Dogs/True Crime in August :dance: ) and TDU2.

Also for Aus PS3 users, best place to buy a new HDD from? I can't really play my PS3 at the moment, drive is full.

Lacking in the sense that there just isn't much to it. You travel back-and-forth through what is a fairly linear city doing the same things over and over and over again. Sure there's a light roguelike-ish degree of variety in the availability of food and the presence of threatening predators and the shifting weather that often bathes areas of the city in unhealthy toxins, but ultimately it's just a simple and repetitive game.

And that would probably be OK were it not for the price. It feels like a downloadable game that you'd expect to pay $10 or $15 for. They're asking ~$50 USD, and if you want to import it or buy it on Japanese PSN expect to be pay something closer to $70. It's a cute, novel game and I wouldn't call it bad, but I don't think many people would consider it seventy dollars-worth of novelty. Wait for it to be released in the West and hope that they charge less for it.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 20, 2012

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

How many times have people who think they're clever said "artistic vision" in the spoiler thread today?

Is it a lot?

Basically every other post.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

If appeasing your fanbase is "remaking old games again and again" then gently caress the fans. If you want to replay old Final Fantasy games there are numerous ways to go about it now. Make new games.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it really bothers me when games lack confidence in their mechanics in such a way. It usually makes me think they wanted to improve it and lacked time. I had the same problem in Alpha Protocol when the very first hacking upgrade was "skip any hacking sequence for 1 EMP grenade."

I don't know, had I been given the choice to skip the conversations I would have taken it in a second, particularly after busting my rear end sneaking all the way through the first level after the tutorial only to watch Cyberpunk Batman throw it all out the window by smashing a door down in a cutscene at the end. Even then I read later that that particular debate was less about "convincing the guy to do whatever" and more about "selecting the same option at every prompt or a bad thing happens." :effort:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Tokyo Jungle has been out for a while now in Japan. What's the general consensus now that mostly everyone who bought it, has played through the whole thing?

Thinking that most people who bought that game have played all the way through it is a really wild assumption. It is intensely repetitive and, honestly, a bit dull.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Is that really all Tokyo Jungle is? I was under the impression there was an ending, and at least some sort of storyline to it. Sounds like it ended up not being worth the hype. I'm glad I didn't jump on it, as tempting as it was. It was hard to get info because everything had to be translated.

It has a story mode, but the six or seven chapters of it that I unlocked before moving on were basically extended tutorials with a few brief cutscenes here and there. To play chapters in story mode you have to unlock them one-by-one in survival mode. They aren't hard to unlock, but assuming you'd ever like to use animals that aren't the two you start with you'll end up spending the vast majority of your time in survival mode. I think I was averaging around one/two hours of survival for every ten minutes (if that) of story mode before I just got bored and quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Here's your big crazy Z.O.E. 2 opening but in HD now. Never played it but I feel like I've seen the SD version of this a hundred times. Can't wait.

• Locked thread