Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Infamous 1 carries a lot of unintentional hilarity, if you play it back to back with the original Sly Cooper series. They devs recycled a lot of the main character animations, ranging from jumps to facial expressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Harlock posted:

If you don't follow the PS store thread, it's finally happening y'all: a digital copy of Digital Devil Saga this Tuesday. DDS2 to follow later.
I wonder, how they are going to handle save transfer, seeing that PS2 Classics saves are encrypted and you can't just toss them from one virtual card to another.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Also I highly recommend the HD Shadow of the Colossus port! Amazing , mystical games with excellent sense of both exploration and wonder.
Except that the AI and physics were originally done with the PS2 slowdown in mind. The team that did the upgrade upped and stabilized the framerate, but did not adjust anything that was tied to it. Bosses give shorter windows of opportunity for attacks and the grip is now very unstable.
It's beatable, but the time attack mode is for masochists.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Grump posted:

e; The only games I haven't played on that list are Spec Ops, ICO, the AC games, Infamous 2, and Dishonored.
If you really get into rear end Creed 2 chances are you will completely burn out by the time you get to Brotherhood.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ezio also invented swimming.

Does he control better with a controller, by the way? On the PC with KB/M to make him run forward you had to hold three keys.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I played the PS3 lineup of GoW 1, 2, 3, CoO and GoS almost back to back this year. They were kinda fun and hard to put down once you get going, but left me wishing I was getting my face smashed in in the DMC HD ports. GoW combat just feels so slow with all the large swings, overly healthy enemies and QTEa breaks.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Dragon's Dogma's main idea is to force you into travelling at night with boosted monster spawn rate when you can't see poo poo. It's really into encouraging you to set off on a trip just before dawn and still hitting you with darkness on the way. The joy of seeing DD's sunrise in the wilds is similar to seeing a large terminal in SMT Nocturne.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I said come in! posted:

and for some strange reason I really want to play White Knight Chronicles 2
I thought the ongoing LP was supposed to put people off the idea.

Equilibrium posted:

and Sly 2 made you play as Not-Sly for half the game.
How's the most recent Sly in that regard? I grabbed it off Plus, then the shump and beat'em up sections in the prologue put me off playing it further.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I keep hearing this and it makes me really sad.
Just like the PS1 release of Chrono Trigger it's playable and beatable but is going to waste a lot of your time unnecessarily.

I don't think it was as annoying as Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, when I had a loading screen every time I went into the menu i.e. for every weapon switch. And that thing is kind of designed around using a specific blade for each enemy type.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

At least you don't play as him in the first game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Static Rook posted:

never played 3, and this one just feels like they threw whatever they could think of into the game to make it "bigger."
Never play 3. It's the same poo poo. Beating 3 was the reason I never even considered buying 4 until the Plus thing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

That looks awful, even ignoring all the belts.

Are the .5 mixes worth buying? Does playing 1 feel less like driving a stick shift now, and is there any fun to be had in Re:?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The non-lethal takedowns of the main targets are much more cruel and satisfying.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

...! posted:

How is this fun?
It gets worse when Sora has to swim and fly in certain worlds. The plot will never make much sense, and the jumping physics won't become pleasant.
At least enjoy the variety. In KH2 most worlds are just hallways littered with enemies.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I feel the same way about Shadow of the Colossus now too, especially in terms of controls and movement.
PS2 or PS3 SotC? Ico aged much worse. The forced camera angles for certain jumps are poo poo, and the HD graphics make it obvious just how empty it is.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Davincie posted:

Anything I should know before starting Ni No Kuni?
You'll have to walk all the way across the largest continent and explore half of the smaller landmasses before you get any kind of fast travel.
The party AI is dumb.
The mana restoration items cost an arm and a leg.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

Those are the most accessible.
Except for all the loving around with social links for hours.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Katamari Forever
3D Dot Game Heroes
Way of the Samurai 3
Yakuza 3/4
Resonance of Fate

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, it's a good game. It has a completely incoherent story though.
The story's short, though. My NG+ run without sidequests and grinding didn't last more than 7 hours and that's without skipping cutscenes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

R&C has been out of ideas for a while. It really feels like CiT was the only PS3 game they actually intended to make, and the rest were pressed out of leftovers and shavings.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

SP mode in Soul Calibur 4 was poo poo, and I've heard in 5 it's even worse, and you'll probably spend more time in the character creator.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

Blind Sally - I figured I could, but I absolutely had to follow this particular rabbit hole to see how deep it went.
It's Bioware, all of their holes end in the clothed sex dimension.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Is there some trick to Uncharted 3 that I'm missing? I'm already at sneaking onto the plane and have never once in the entire game felt I was in control of the character. Everything is so loving floaty and automated, and bullet-sponge enemies take all the fun out of combat.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I was doing just that, because the bullet sponges generally take less effort to kill through square-mashing, and running around confuses the AI. Still haven't found the cure for the RPG bastards apart from dying many times and memorizing their spawn timing and location.
The controls are what get me. The aiming is either too fast or too slow, Drake has the turn radius of a truck, and pressing the jump button is a toss between jumping and clinging onto the nearest container.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Yay, beat it on Hard. The grenade launcher and the sniper pistol carried me through most of the demon section. Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to have teleporting enemies?

Ape Agitator posted:

RPG/GL guys are those changeup guys which punish you for covering too much. The first shot usually misses if you move a lot so the game shifts to "where is that bastard?" for me.
For me the first rocket usually landed close enough to set health into "almost dead".

At least the checkpoints is this one were more frequent than in Jak 2. Is Jak 3 better in that regard? I've got the HD collection disc gathering dust.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Robnoxious posted:

So tell me goons, what are some other PSP games I should absolutely play?

For the record I have: Metal Gear Ac!d 1 and 2, Patapon, Loco Roco, Exit, LBP, Daxter, IQ, Lumines, GTA w/ the assorted Stories, Silent Hill: Origins, Burnout: Legends, Crisis Core, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Wipeout Pure, but you'll need to search the web for the matching free DLC packs, as they have been pulled from the official locations.
Gurumin, A Monstrous Adventure is awesome for smashing monsters and ancient pots with a huge drill.
Kenka Bancho is a very replayable beat 'em up about conquering the school delinquents of all Japan and mugging people by staring at them with your eyebeams of rage.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

In WotS 3 I don't have to carry tons of lubricant to keep my Schwartz firm and pointy :colbert: Also, you can not-kill anyone you want, and stop conversations by suddenly apologizing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

There are huge exclamation marks on the map showing where the plot is hiding.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

WotS 3 and 4 if you want all the endings. Individual playthroughs are short, but there's a lot of story branching and unlockable stuff.
Yakuza 3 and 4 have a ton of side activities to do and many people to hit with a bicycle wheel.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Harlock posted:

Here's a screenshot:

You sure it's not the PS2 port of Mercenaries 2?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I've at least come up with something of a shortlist.
The SH2 & 3 ports are pretty bad even after the patches, most noticeably the fog in SH2 is just a grey wall.

Downpour has many technical issues and framerate drops but I found it fun, especially because it lets you do a no-kill run and evade most monsters. The city is pleasantly creepy to explore too, but you have to dive into buildings to autosave.

FEAR - not sure about the console ports of the original, but FEAR 2 and 3 are kinda generic shooters with some extra blood & guts used for decoration. You also get to pilot a power armour with infinite ammo. Fear 3 is like a cheap horror mod for CoD Modern Warfare 2, and it keeps flooding the screen with notifications that you got a reward for spending 30 seconds in cover or reloaded 5 times. That never stops, in fact the counters reset every time you start a level.

The trilogy of Fatal Frame PS2 Classics on PSN in spooky as poo poo and lets you shoot ghosts with an upgradeable camera.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Get Way of the Samurai 3 & 4 for that Toshiro Mifune feel in two different samurai eras.
3D Dot Game Heroes for the original Zelda.
Katamari Forever for the best-of collection from the series. It has a few (very few) co-op levels.
Silent Hill: Downpour is a mess of glitches but it's the closest they've got to SH2.

Stay the gently caress away from anything by Level-5, no matter how pretty.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Also, how was Sly 4? Worth buying?
If you're not sick of Sly's sidekick missions by the time 3 in over, then yes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Awesome. I just cleaned up at Gamestop's 3 for $10 sale
The team who ported it to the PS3 made the frame rate stable but forgot to adjust the physics and AI timings, and the AI in SotC was designed with the slowdown in mind. Now a few bosses have much shorter calm periods, and your character can't hold onto poo poo.
It's not as bad as Silent Hill HD, but still gets annoying in the long run.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's how the PAL version was.
I didn't notice that many bugs in it and I bought a PAL PS2 copy after the HD pack. The 50/60Hz selector probably helped too.

Oh, and the box with the art cards is awesome.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The guys behind the conversion, Bluepoint games, also managed to add a bug to MGS2 HD which would prevent certain boxes from spawning on high difficulty... but only if the game was played on an SD TV. It was patched eventually.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

That's R&C 3 with all the missions and other poo poo that never ends?

At least you're not playing All 4 One or Tools of Destruction.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Are the side quests in Ni no Kuni worth doing? They seem to be your standard fetch/"kill X monsters" type stuff.
Once you buy all the upgrades and fill up the card completely you get access to the other card, where you can save up for the bonus that doubles the MC's mana pool.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Scyron posted:

Also both games are an amazingly fun 100% trophy hunt.
Like that marvellous grinding for 10000 flowers replaying the same three levels all over again trophy.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/pocket-fighter-(ps3-only)/cid=UP9000-NPUJ00653_00-0000000000000001

Is "Please Re-enter Text Here" in the description normal or another one of those things you only get when the entire store is updated by gremlins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Alright, I've identified the Worst Thing about MGS4, and it's not boobs.
You didn't go into the photo session mode with the bosses then.

• Locked thread