Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

blackguy32 posted:

Also, how was Sly 4? Worth buying?

If you really like Sly after beating the trilogy then it's not a bad thing to play. It's more of that Sly 2/3-style gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

blackguy32 posted:

Also, how was Sly 4? Worth buying?
If you're not sick of Sly's sidekick missions by the time 3 in over, then yes.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I think it was free on PS+, if you had/have that.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I played Sly 1 for free from psn+ but I don't remember the others being offered. Though after the first, I found the series was not for me. Perhaps if I knew a young gamer or something, they'd probably like it.

edit; My motivation was an easy platinum while I was going through a gaming drought.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 6, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Scyron posted:

I played Sly 1 for free from psn+ but I don't remember the others being offered.

Sly 4 was on PS+..mid to late last year? Looong after Sly 1 was, anyway.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I don't know if it's just the PS3 version or what but Ubisoft really did a bad job (technically) with Child of Light. Trying to launch Uplay hard freezes my PS3. Playing the game while logged in to PSN makes the game run at about 1/3 speed, which is especially noticeable during battles, which move at glacial speed. I also have to remember to sign out of PSN before I start the game because if I try to sign out from within the game, it hard freezes the PS3.

The only reason I knew how to fix the above problems is that it has apparently happened to quite a few people and the above paragraph of fixes is what the internet community eventually worked out over a few months.

Did they test this at all? This kind of poo poo is inexcusable.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

...! posted:

Did they test this at all? This kind of poo poo is inexcusable.

...! posted:

Ubisoft

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I never had any technical problems with Child if Light.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I had the exact same issues. I just said gently caress it and gave up. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday on vita or ps4. Hopefully it's less broken there.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, it's arguably the worst point in the franchise.

Arugably?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lettuce not mince words here.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Miss Ruby is not only basically the worst character in the history of the series, her boss fight is just unbelievably poo poo, unfun and actually really, really hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Her boss fight is literally just pressing buttons to extremely simple timing. It isn't a good fight but it isn't remotely hard.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Her boss fight is literally just pressing buttons to extremely simple timing. It isn't a good fight but it isn't remotely hard.

It's not to the beat of the song though! Also if you die on the final stage of the boss you have to start the entire fight from the beginning, it always happens to me at least once.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah, they hosed up the timing on the sly collection, but once I got into the groove. I did it pretty easily.

Faroush
Mar 21, 2009

Amashing
Yeah, the original game was based on CRT TVs, and the remake didn't change anything for flatscreens, so there's lag and inconsistent timings.

I've heard a lot of people just mute their TV during this part and they have a much easier time. YMMV, of course.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Okay, so Rock Band 2 apparently has 84 on-disc songs. Only 21 are available to begin. I enter the "unlock all songs" code, it says accepted... and there's still only 21 songs.
Do I HAVE to play though and unlock the remaining 63 songs manually? Why isn't the unlock code working?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I just grabbed a PS3 to catch up on all of the exclusives that the system somehow garnered over the years when I wasn't paying attention. I already have on my "to-play" list all of the obvious stuff (GoW, R&C, LBP, Uncharted, etc.), but I was wondering if you all might be able to recommend some more obscure "hidden gems" on the system. Specifically anything that you can't otherwise play on PC, so PS360 titles not on PC are fair game too. I typically like platformers, action-adventure-ish stuff, RPGs if they're not too grindy, and anything with a weird/bizarre style.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I just grabbed a PS3 to catch up on all of the exclusives that the system somehow garnered over the years when I wasn't paying attention. I already have on my "to-play" list all of the obvious stuff (GoW, R&C, LBP, Uncharted, etc.), but I was wondering if you all might be able to recommend some more obscure "hidden gems" on the system. Specifically anything that you can't otherwise play on PC, so PS360 titles not on PC are fair game too. I typically like platformers, action-adventure-ish stuff, RPGs if they're not too grindy, and anything with a weird/bizarre style.

Journey. Play Journey.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Depending on how crazy your tastes are, maybe you would like El Shaddai?

Extremely stylized platformer/light combat game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron

The price seems to have skyrocketed though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Oh, also play Nier. It is a tad grindy but it makes up for it in many, many other ways.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

These should already be on your to-play list: Demon's Souls, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Some of the more popular PSN games have been bundled on discs, so even if you don't fancy buying games digitally you can still play games like Flow, Flower, and Journey, as well as Tokyo Jungle. Noby Noby Boy is a really cheap exclusive which everybody should give a try.

There are a lot of HD collections worth playing, but you can burn yourself out if you try to play through all the PS2 entries in a series before you get to try the PS3 ones.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Journey. Play Journey.

Definitely near the top of my list. It's actually one of the games that sold me on the system. :)

Harlock posted:

Depending on how crazy your tastes are, maybe you would like El Shaddai?

Extremely stylized platformer/light combat game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron

The price seems to have skyrocketed though.

My tastes are pretty weird, and this sounds right up my alley. Thanks!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

These should already be on your to-play list: Demon's Souls, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

I played Dark Souls on PC and didn't particularly care for it. Is Demons Souls any better?

That loving Sned posted:

Some of the more popular PSN games have been bundled on discs, so even if you don't fancy buying games digitally you can still play games like Flow, Flower, and Journey, as well as Tokyo Jungle. Noby Noby Boy is a really cheap exclusive which everybody should give a try.

There are a lot of HD collections worth playing, but you can burn yourself out if you try to play through all the PS2 entries in a series before you get to try the PS3 ones.

I already burned through much of the PS2's catalog back in the day, but I'm excited to download some of the stuff that I missed due to the rarity of their respective physical copies: Fatal Frame 3, SMT Devil Summoner, etc. I do want to eventually grab the Team ICO collection though. Does SotC not run at 15-20 FPS now?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Besides uncharted and last of us, what are some other good PS3 only games?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

look at the last 10 or so posts

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I already burned through much of the PS2's catalog back in the day, but I'm excited to download some of the stuff that I missed due to the rarity of their respective physical copies: Fatal Frame 3, SMT Devil Summoner, etc. I do want to eventually grab the Team ICO collection though. Does SotC not run at 15-20 FPS now?
It runs at a fixed 30 FPS now so it's much more playable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Wipeout (ye olde playstation racing series, not the tv show) is cool and should be cheap.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wipeout (ye olde playstation racing series, not the tv show) is cool and should be cheap.

I'm aware of wipeout, do the controls still feel like you're racing bars of soap?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Sort of

It's a more responsive bar of soap in a solid 60fps now. Also there are more teams so you can dial in better.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Pablo Gigante posted:

It runs at a fixed 30 FPS now so it's much more playable.

Awesome. I just cleaned up at Gamestop's 3 for $10 sale, and I also picked up that, 3D Dot Game Heroes, and Ni No Kuni. I think I'm gonna love this system for having so much of the weird, artsy Japanese poo poo that's not really represented on PC.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Yakuza.

Ideal: Grab your PS2 and get Yakuza 1 and 2, then get a copy of 3 and 4 for your PS3. Then get ready to get 5 when it finally comes out in English in the summer. And then start importing the games that never got localized.

Alternative: Grab 3 and 4 for the PS3 and then get ready to buy 5 when it finally comes out. And then start importing the games that never got localized.

"Cheap" option: Get a PS+ Subscription (which you should anyways) and start it by the end of the month to get Yakuza 4 as one of this month's freebies. Then get ready to buy 5 when it finally hits the PS Store. Then start importing the games that never got localized.

(In all cases, you can skip Dead Souls until after you've gone through all the main games you can and just want more/are having withdrawals)

Important Note: If you pick up Yakuza 3 and it's your first game in the series, be aware that there is a good stretch at the start where the game is fairly slow to start. But it is SO worth it in the long run.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

I think I'm gonna love this system for having so much of the weird, artsy Japanese poo poo that's not really represented on PC.

Okami HD. Catherine. You're welcome.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If you like sci-fi shooters, the Killzone trilogy and Resistance trilogy are worth a look. The older ones haven't aged well, though, so for best results just go for Killzone 3 and Resistance 3. Killzone 3 is the big-bugdet, Michael Bay action movie that Halo 3 wished it could be, and features space Nazis and hilarious overacting from Malcolm MacDowell and Ray Winstone. Resistance 3 is a retelling of Cormac McCarthy's The Road if it merged with the Half-Life 2 universe.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Resistance 3 is really great, if for no other reason then being a actual FPS with no regenerating health at all (except a bonus cheat mode). Lots of interesting guns too, freeze rays and lightning guns and a gun that causes enemies to puke themselves to death, infecting others and causing hilarious death-puke waves.

The multiplayer has been shut off though, although it was never great so no big loss. Single player is really good though and you can probably find the game for like $5 now.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

I played Dark Souls on PC and didn't particularly care for it. Is Demons Souls any better?

I preferred Demons quite a bit more. I think for the environments, and it just looked better somehow. Gameplay-wise they probably aren't too different though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I actually felt Resistance 3 was the most creatively bankrupt game of the bunch. Don't get me wrong, it's the most polished game of the series, and if you're only going to play one, it should absolutely be that one. However, all the guns in the game are either repeats from earlier games, or are just not that interesting. I'll give you the cryogun. That's pretty neat. But the vomit gun is just a modified GES Biorifle and the other unique weapon is a hammer. I expected more from the guys who did Ratchet Clank's weapons. (Also, every plot point in that game is lifted from something else--again, I still love Resistance 3 and highly recommend it, but you're basically just playing Cormac McCarthy's The Road: The Game, mixed up with some Half-Life 2, Gears Of War, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, and Jaws--none of it is particularly original).

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

It really depends on why you didn't care for Dark Souls... Demon's Souls is better and worse in some ways, and in some ways it's just different. You've got the mechanic where your health is lowered to half (or 3/4 with a ring) when you're "hollow", healing items aren't a fixed, limited thing that gets replenished (just a consumable instead), and there's a hub level so the whole world isn't connected.

Gameplay-wise, they're very similar, although I definitely liked the upgrading and weapons/armor available in Dark Souls a lot more. Demon's Souls also has gender-specific armor, which I found really annoying.

The atmosphere and music in Demon's Souls is amazing, I think better than Dark Souls. Dark Souls made me feel incredibly isolated and alone in that world, and was really good at it. Demon's Souls is just weird and spooky and frightening.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I wasn't a huge fan of DaS1, but it is still cool with the interconnected passages. I just like demon's more because I got a plat and know it really well, through and through. I never even got to beat DaS1 before I lost my save. The second time a Soul's game of 80+ hours was lost to the digital void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Did Dragons Dogma always have that intro or is it a recent thing? I don't remember that poo poo at all.

• Locked thread