Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I made my first batch of an ale at a friend's house on Saturday. I've had a full kit (I mean literally every single piece I could ever need) for years but I was terrified of improper sterilization. Apparently it involves a spray bottle with Iodophor and that's it, so yeh, this looks easy. We did it at his house since he is way more experienced and he put them in his cool basement.

The basement in my house, however, is a loving blast furnace. Something is probably wrong with the ducts because it's easily 80 degrees down there right now. That really means that if I do a batch at home (and honestly now that I've seen how easy it is, I'm itching to go buy some more ingredients and do it myself) I have no place to cool it. The OP recommends a fridge but I can't get one down there. A smaller one seems way too small for a 5 gallon batch.

So what do I do? Use the smaller fridge and do a smaller batch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

I use a normal sized mini-fridge to cool my 5 gallon batches (in a bucket or 6gal carboy). It requires cutting out the door beverage holder part but that wasn't hard (didn't mess with the freezer part). For the bucket it is a bit of a tight squeeze but a paper wedge under the bucket gives it just a slight tilt back into the fridge that the door is able to close.

The problem is it's not my fridge so I can't start cutting it. Now that I think about it, it might actually be old enough that it doesn't have that nonsense on the front.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Anywhere else is going to be aboveground and subject to the house temperatures. Our AC is terrible so in the summer it gets astronomically hot (the basement actually isn't too bad then). Right now the basement is very warm but our storage room, which is basically part of an old garage that was just not fully finished, is a little warmer than outside. Even though I can't be certain it won't spike to < 50 or > 70 these days, the weather she be nuts.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Galler posted:

Homebrewers freak out over absolutely everything. 'If a stray beam of light touches my beer for a single millisecond it will literally taste like a skunk!' and all kinds of hypersensitive poo poo.

Charlie Papazian had the right idea. "Relax. Don't Worry. Have a home-brew"

My friend teaching me probably sprayed the fermentation container 3 times total (he had me do it when we first got back from the homebrew store, then at some point during the cooking he went and did it, and right as the cooking stopped he did it again), and he also did most of the solution into the airlock. The stuff is in his basement right now and the 2 clear containers are under thick blankets.

According to him, he is considered pretty insane about sanitation. It's funny because the reason I put off getting into this was due to sanitation concerns.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

RagingBoner posted:

Since it's an extract kit, your best bet is to make sure you get all the good out of your steeping grains you can by squeezing the bag. That is what really instills most of the hearty flavor (your malt extracts add flavor too, but are mostly a source of sugars for the yeast).

If you are interested in doing a real, all grain beer where you control the variables, I'd recommend using a brew-in-bag setup. Minimal upfront costs and it is much cheaper than extract brewing in the long run.

Since you already seem to have your cerveza kit, you can add whatever you want to your boil to add flavor. Some guys in my local brew club love jalapeño beers, that might fit the Mexican inspired theme you have there... Just Google jalapeño beer recipes and don't be afraid to play around with it.

(Sorry if I totally blow the terminology on this question)

From what I can tell, the Mr Beers work by dumping one thing in, which is a combination of malt and hops extract and grain extracts. I don't think there's much for him to squeeze. However, since the "keg" is just a fermentation vessel, can't he do a simple thing with steeped grains and hops and then malt extracts to make it better than all extract, but not all grain? That's how I just did my first attempt and it seemed to be a good combination of "boil some bags" but not "boil all the bags."

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

RagingBoner posted:

Man, I didn't know they made extract kits with no steeping grains. No wonder it tasted like crap. Yes, that method should work to make his next batch have more body; just get some milled malt, put it in a muslin bag, steep it at around 170* for 30 minutes before the boil, then add the extracts, and squeeze the mess out of it when you remove the bag. Just get 1/2 lb pale ale malt milled at your local homebrew store.

...then add jalapenos, because, well, gently caress YEAH SPICY

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1008/nm/Classic_American_Light1

It's a Bud Lite all-extract clone!

edit: Swinging things back to something I said pages ago, looking at the mini-fridge we aren't using right now, I don't think the standard fermentation bucket will fit, and my girlfriend is too nervous about the fullsize fridge from the 60s we have in the basement to let me plug it in and use that, which means that I really have no idea how I am going to brew after this batch unless I keep doing it at my friend's house, which is a bit difficult as he has 3 kids and is insane most days.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 19, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Imasalmon posted:

I use a mini fridge as a fermentation chamber and it works fine. I had to remove the plastic inside the door, and chisel out some of the foam where the top of the bucket was impacting it, though.

Right, I should have said that. I can't do any permanent modifications since it's not mine.

edit: Also another random topic veer, my friend recommended I look at this site when I got a headache from looking at hopville and not knowing what the hell any of the varieties are

http://beerlegends.com/

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 19, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

wattershed posted:

To expand on what Grimace said, it's not really so much better or worse to have, say, 90% of the fermentation complete in 2-3 days or 7-10 days unless there's a component of the yeast you're looking to pull out (or not).

For example, if I'm brewing your tripel recipe and want an overly estery nose with some fruity notes to taste, I might underpitch my yeast a bit to force the cells to work extra hard and produce what might be considered off flavors in other styles but might be desirable in my tripel. If I want a more classic profile of the yeast I use, I'd likely pitch an appropriate amount. If I overpitched, the yeast would get lazy given that they don't have to work as hard and the classic "Belgian character" in the yeast might end up a little underdeveloped.

If I'm doing a classic IPA, I use White Labs 001. If I'm doing a DIPA, I use the White Labs SD Super Yeast 090. I do starters for each of those, as I like a quick and tidy fermentation. It's not so much that I'm looking to avoid a specific byproduct of the yeast, in so much that if I can power through my fermentation and hit my ~77-80% attenuation I usually get with those strains + a starter in 3-5 days, I can start my dryhopping sooner, give the beer those flavors, and get it on a keg nice and fast. I'm personally a big fan of ultra fresh IPAs, and feel pretty drat confident I can tell the difference between a two-week old IPA and a four, six or eight-week old IPA, especially if it's loaded with late addition/dry hop hops. In the case of those more neutral-profile yeasts, I don't get anything out of letting them park their asses in my fermentation fridge for 3-4 weeks unless I'm looking for additional complexities in the flavors that I know won't come around for a month or more.

So as a huge loving newbie could you break down your entire classic IPA process (in a PM if you don't want to spam here)? Really trying to get my head around how vastly different the process is for different types of beer.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So here's the calculus of the beer I plan to make soon

http://hopville.com/recipe/1691994

The Golden Light is going to go in with the hops boil. I'm thinking of splitting up the larger of the hops and doing a dry hopping as well, but I'm concerned that this yeast is apparently Very Fast and there might not be an appreciable benefit unless I do it at something like the second day.

Be gentle I am quite :shobon:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

zedprime posted:

Couple major things. That is a huge amount of Crystal 80. For 5 gallons, 1lb of crystal malt is on the super high end of caramel sweetness. I wouldn't go above that 1lb unless you really like your candy beer. Even 1lb is a ton of caramel malt.

Flaked oats are gobs of starch with no sugars or enzymes. If you want to do oats in a steep you will need to do a mini mash which is as simple as adding 1/2 to 1 lbs of 2 row barley malt and holding the steep at 150-160F for 30-60 minutes before raising up to 170F and removing the steeped grains.

Even with the large amount of hops I'm using? Cutting it down wouldn't be hard but is it really going to be that sweet?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Whoa I goofed, it's only 8 oz of oats. The beer I made before was the same Golden Light, roasted barley, oats, and Northern Brewer hops and some juniper during fermentation; I don't remember the other steeping grain we used. I'm actually really happy with how it came out even before secondary has started, but I wanted to do my new batch with a little more character. I thought a more serious hopping at flameout (and I was told to actually do half at flameout and then half as a dry hop later) and a sweeter note with the Crystal would make it a much more interesting flavor.

I might throw in more juniper. You can taste it with the first batch but it's very background.

edit: I don't think this is an endgame beer at all, but an ideal beer I want to get "skilled enough" to replicate is 21st Amendment's Black in Black. I love that drat beer.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 24, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Midorka posted:

Every ingredient Back in Black uses is listed on their website. I'd imagine it'd be ~80% pale malt, 5-10% munich, 5-10% crystal, and enough debittered black to give it the color.

I wanted to get there on my own :( I'm so drat new I figured it'd be a way to figure out how things work.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Well I got mine going. A bit weird in my kitchen because it really has no space but not bad. The biggest problem I found was when I started crushing up the juniper berries I noticed there was a beetle (now ex-beetle) in the mix, and I couldn't just man up and throw it in anyway, so it's going to miss that.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

My airlock isn't moving. There is nothing coming out at all and it's been about 6 hours. However there is definitely very positive pressure because when I press down in the lid in the slightest bubbles explode out the airlock.

I have no idea if this is good or bad.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I'm just really paranoid I hosed up something. The reason I didn't start this for years (I've had equipment for a few) is because I wanted someone to show me IRL the actual way to sterilize and not mess up. As soon as I can be sure somethings growing I can begin to be worried that it's not growing alone :ohdear:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

zedprime posted:

I don't know if this helps or hurts but with all the hops you used its possible to get infected and then never know because you drank it before the secondary fermentation started.

Wait, really? I thought the point of hops was that it helped preserve the beer.

edit: Yes I'm worrying too much but for all the hobbies I do I'm always super paranoid the first attempt will somehow explode

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Hey Everybody! I bottled my hydromel (yeah its a month old, but it's ready.). And... My honey subscription won't be delivered for 2 more weeks. I cant live in an apartment with an empty carboy for 2 weeks. No way... No how.

Marshmallow Blue's Turbo Juice
1 Gallon Apple juice
4 cups of brown sugar, not packed
2 brewers best cinnamon sticks
Fleishmans bread yeast

Starting Gravity 1.090

I brewed this yesterday, It's already vigorously fermenting, I'll air it up and give it nutrients when I get home today. This will be bottled in PET bottles and crashed upon arrival of my honey subscription in a couple weeks, clarity is not a concern.
Bottles will be primed with table sugar.

Is this an experiment or have you done it before? I do have a glass gallon jug, plug, and extra airlock that I was planning on using for cider, but I can't find any real cider yeast at my homebrew store (which seems odd). Though now that I think about it I didn't go into the wine room, crap.

edit: VVVVV Let us know, I'm interested in how it'll turn out.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 25, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

My friend who works for a brewery says you're all wrong and nuts :shobon:

Seriously though, I'll see how this comes out. I did notice it was a hell of a lot under the malt section. I guess I could have not done the oats and it would have been just fine.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Bleh sorry to keep spamming and paranoiding up this thread, but I was looking at the yeast spreadsheet and it said ferments 65-68, but right now it's between 70 and 72. What can I expect to happen?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

hellfaucet posted:

You might develop some estery flavors, but nothing too crazy. Do you have a way to cool your fermentor down a couple of degrees?

Not reliably. It's in a closet in my room since the rest of the house is crazy hot or crazy cold.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

On the floor. I can try to rig a swamp cooler by putting it in a bin with a wet towel around it and pointing a fan at it, but I'd be worried it might get TOO cool since I just want to knock a few degrees off.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Oh god dammit it's down to about 62 in my room. I've kicked the heater up a few notches to hopefully bring that back up.

This is the worst and I really need to figure out a way to keep this temp more reliable.

edit: VVV Yeh, sorry, it's the first I'm doing completely alone and in my place. I have no idea what to expect really since before it was more of my friend doing it and me helping and watching while he ran around trying to do 4 beers at once.

edit2: Gonna bow out of this thread for a few days, unless it literally catches fire or something.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 25, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I have no doubt that when weed becomes legal in whichever state you may reside in, they will be packaged and sold exactly like hops.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Marshmallow Blue posted:

So with Extract beer-ing. Do you still need to have 5 gallons in one place all at once? Or can you do your extracts and bonus grain steeping, And then combine with the rest of your water and be on your way?

The second one. I've seen it done with 2 gallons.

It seems better that way because you can add cold cold refrigerated water to the hot hot wort to get it cooler fastest.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

I made a batch of Cream Ale two weekends ago. The plan was to bottle four gallons normal and to add a jalapeno tincture to the last gallon to make it into a pepper beer. I have read that just a couple drops per beer should be all that is needed. Once you figure out how much heat you like you scale it up to the batch size.

So on Sunday I got two big jalapeno peppers and roasted them over the gas burner on my stove top. I put them in a bag for a few minutes then I peeled the skins and removed the seeds.

I put the two peppers in about six ounces of vodka for three days then removed the peppers. The vodka smells like a jar of jalapenos.

So I grabbed the only lager I had in my fridge (a 1664) and added a few drops of the pepper vodka. I could smell jalapeno but I could not taste. I added more. I could taste the 'green' flavor of the jalapeno but no heat. I added a lot more. I could really taste the jalapeno flavor but still very little heat. At this point I quit because the drink was starting to become a beer Bloody Mary.

So what did I do wrong? I guess maybe I should have left the seeds in. Was I not supposed to roast the peppers? I always do that when I make salsa or chili. Any other tips from anyone who has used the tincture method to spice their beer?

Jalapenos are the lowest level of "hot pepper" you can find (ok, I'm sure lower exist), and as was said, roasting them kills the heat a lot.

If you just want HEAT why not pure capsicum?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Turds in magma posted:

This is not even close to true, even for these genetically engineered monstrosities. The reason not to use capsicum is because jalapenos have a very distinct/delicious flavor, which is what he is looking for along with the heat. Habaneros, which can be stupid-hot, also have a very delicate and almost floral flavor, which you wont get from any capsicum extract.

That's why I put a question mark, I literally did not know.

edit: Wait, do you mean they're not the least hot? What is a tamer hot pepper one can find at most markets?

I'm coming up with a sour red that I want to have a bit of a kick to it, but I don't know what peppers would really be comparable. I think I'll have to investigate via sampling pickled hot peppers to get a sort of an idea?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Turds in magma posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale
Poblanos, Anaheims, Peperoncini, and Bannana peppers should all be available, depending on where you live. There are obviously a lot more that are on that list (which is somewhat distorted by the relatively large numbers of "extreme" chillies they have there which you can't actually buy). Basically the only peppers most people buy hotter than jalapenos are thai bird chilies, serranos, and habaneros.

As usual I am an idiot and didn't realize the others were so far below. Thanks for cracking an egg of knowledge on my head.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I was at the grocery store and feeling bored, so I bought a gallon of apple juice and some yeast. Boiled the juice with cinnamon sticks and brown sugar and it smelled really good. Cooled it to 100F, threw it in a disinfected glass jug I have, tossed the yeast in, plugged it with an extra airlock I have, and shook the poo poo out of it.

Without 2 hours it was bubbling like mad. Very cool. It's shocking that kids haven't figured this out.

Related to that, I actually had a friend argue against reforming homebrew laws by saying "then kids will have access to alcohol." It hurt my head because he does not understand how absolutely stupid easy it is to do, legal or not. I don't think he really believes that, but that was his reasoning as to why certain stupid politicians are fighting it so hard in certain states.

On the beer front, I was talking with some friends and apparently I missed the "shake the everliving poo poo out of pitching the yeast" part. I did and it exploded with bubbles and was bubbling a good while, but has calmed down to really no bubbles. However while shaking it a noticeable amount of beer came out from under the lid so I assume it's not close to airtight (even though it feels like it should be), so I guess gas is escaping through there. This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't find out my hydrometer was shattered yesterday. Back to the HBS!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

When I was 18-19 I did dump yeast in some grape juice. However I literally just put grape juice in a suntea container, dumped yeast in, and put it in the garage. Terrible idea.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Jo3sh posted:

*Real* cider is much, much more work and requires blending of apples and all that good stuff. Apples for apple juice make a pretty bland hard cider by comparison, but it actually is pretty pleasant.

Another fun thing you can do with high-test cider (or beer, or really anything above 10% ABV) is to freeze it and throw away the water ice. This makes applejack, a traditional American beverage, and it can be as strong as 35 or 40% alcohol. Serve in liqueur or akavit glasses.

My friend says if you get real cider yeast, and a gallon of cider, the usual "yeast in the drink balloon on the top" works really well.

edit: On that topic since I couldn't find any on my last trip to the HBS (will be going soon to replace my shattered hydrometer), http://www.amazon.com/packs-KIV-1116-Lalvin-Yeast-Winemaking/dp/B004348K2Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1364518035&sr=8-5&keywords=cider+yeast ?

I have a 2 week camping trip coming up in August and I'd like to have at least 4 cases of beer and 10 jugs of cider ready for then (that's not too crazy for 10 people). I know anything I make now probably won't be the best by then but I'd like to get the technique down.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 29, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Jo3sh posted:

I have not tried that particular strain, but this poo poo is so easy to make, why not try a bunch of things and see what works for you? White labs makes an English Cider strain (WLP775) and I imagine Wyeast does also. Champagne yeast finishes very dry. I found Lalvin D47 to finish quite sweet in cider. S-04 takes forever to settle but eventually makes a tasty batch. There's a guy on HBT who has tried many many strains and has a good writeup of all of them - check it out.

Amazon has 775 for sale but I am reeaaally wary about ordering a yeast that as far as I know needs to be refrigerated until a few hours before use. That's actually what I was looking for at my store but they only had beer yeasts.

But I will get a few and do a comparison!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

I took my non-spicy jalapeno vodka and put four roasted Serrano peppers and one roasted habenero pepper in it for two days. I ended up putting about 2 tsp of vodka per beer and it is pleasantly spicy. It doesn't melt your face, but the fruity pepper flavor is strong and there is some heat.

Interesting, when I get mine going I will totally do that.

So I just replaced my hydrometer and checked my beer and it says (temp corrected) 1.012 FG. According to Hopville that is basically correct (it estimated 1.009 to 1.011). I don't have the OG reading so I can't make sure it's not being crazy. I tested it in the thief after my reading and it tasted kind of weird. I assume that's just because it was a pretty yeasty sample of flat beer from a warm bucket. So of course being an idiot I forgot to get the bottle sterilization pump thing at the store, but I did get caps and I do have bottles, so I'll next day ship something from Amazon and bottle it Monday if I remain convinced it's done.

The guy at the HBS said that primaries usually don't actually take more than 2 or 3 days, but it's easier time-wise to just do it on weekends. I didn't know this?

edit: I grabbed a few more vials of yeast and stuff to do the first batch that I know is good. I also got champagne yeast to make ginger beer and cider yeast to see how it differs from baking yeast in my TURBO JUICE recipe. Ferment ALL THE THINGS

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 30, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

fullroundaction posted:

I heard he was a real growler :downsrim:

It's got a real grizzly aftertaste.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Marshmallow Blue posted:

It's officially the new trend everybody!

:ducksiren: Saint Darwins Turbo Juice :ducksiren:

Fill your empty fermenters with Apple juice and yeast that poo poo! But I wish I had a time machine knowing how easy this is, I could have been a kingpin of tweeny house parties. Plausible deniability because of time machines not having been invented yet. My Turbo Juice is getting close to being done fermenting, and in just over a week, I'll bottle carb it to free up my carboy for some more meady adventures.

Turbo Juice:ducksiren: (TM)

Oh

Oh my god

Oh my loving god

Bubbles stopped yesterday so I pulled it out and just tried it. I have thought long and hard about the appropriate emote but all I can come up with is

:barf:

I can't find an emote of psyduck puking.

Holy crap this is bad. This is undrinkable. It's totally alcoholic, but it's bad. It's like someone rubbed a piece of rancid apple on a bunch of slices of moldy bread, then juiced it all and dumped alcohol in it. If I served this to friends I would lose those friends. This reeks of teenage desperation for a buzz. This reeks of natural disaster survivor making alcohol the only way they can just to drink to forget what they've seen. I dumped it. It's gone. I just bought some cider yeast and I'm about to leave for the store to get some cider. We are doing this right proper. Not again. Never again.

I'm sorry to let the homebrew thread down.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 31, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Never dump!

You could have put that in the freezer and made applejack. You could have added acetobacter and made cider vinegar. There is always almost always an option or idea that someone will come up with if you ask in the thread.

drat, well now I know. It was quite terrible and I was heartbroken.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

RagingBoner posted:

What kind of juice and yeast did you use, and at what temperature did you ferment? Also, I do my ciders for 2 weeks minimum. Basically, when the sulphur smell goes away, I add a teaspoon of dissolved gelatin, then add potassium metabisulfite, then cold crash it, and rack into a keg. Then I add a cup of dissolved sugar per gallon, then force carbonate. I use store bought apple juice, but only the stuff with no preservatives from the dairy case at the supermarket, and I use whatever beer yeast I have laying around (usually S33 cultures from my stout I like to make all the time).

Of course, this is less "turbo juice" and more "nearly actual cider" but it is still really easy to make. And it tastes really drat good.

My guess is that your cider wasn't done yet, and the sulphur the yeast was putting off made it taste loving horrible. You should have waited at least another week before judging it.

Why does no one ever ask before dumping their work?

Edit: To be clear, I prefer young, sweet ciders that are still fairly tart. I do like more mellowed ciders too, but I can never wait long enough for them to mellow out.

I forgot to check the juice to make sure it had no preservatives, and that may have messed it up. Really I think using a baker's yeast was also a problem.

Right now I have some organic cider going (no preservatives, I made sure) and an actual cider yeast, WPL775, along with 2 cups of brown sugar and a bunch of cinnamon sticks. I'll give it way more time before checking. It's in an area I can't keep controlled very precisely so it's going between 65 and 72.

edit: This is more to say "I've made something drinkable" than something I want to get into. It's horribly expensive per gallon (I assume if I was pressing my own apples it would be much cheaper and worth it, though) compared to making my own beer. It's going to have to be life-changinly better than premade cider for me to want to do it more often. The reason I got into beer is besides $15 a case for a good quality beer (minus the equipment investment heh) is because I have a lot more control over exactly what I get. With cider I don't really think that I have as much freedom to make interesting and varied final products, so this is more of "being able to say I've done it." But what do I know this is my first attempt.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 31, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Haha, gross. Serve with sharp smoked cheddar to counteract any laxative effects!

I eat a ton of cheddar and it just blows through me. I don't think I'm intolerant though.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Thank you friends for putting up with my really dumb panicky questions. Gonna give the smaller case a week and the bigger one way more time. For some reason it didn't fit nearly as many as I thought (though one of those loose bottles is a bomber).

One question, though, how do I clean grain bags? Apparently somebody put them in a bowl in another room and they're sort of gross but there's a number of small pieces I can't easily dislodge.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

ScaerCroe posted:

I have made coffee vodka before. Is this what you are talking about?

-Fifth of mid shelf vodka
-Cup of home roasted Panamanian beans, crushed with mortar and pestle

I let the coffee sit in the vodka for about a month, then strained with my french press. I would definitely suggest using a light roast, as I thought mine was a little bitter/astringent right out of the bottle. After some aging it got a lot better, but a French Roast might have been way too much.

What did you do with that, and how would you compare it to a cup of coffee made with those beans? Any chance the caffeine survived? My ~girlfriend~ does liquor extracts and I'll hassle her to do some coffee if it's actually an improvement over store-bought coffee vodka which has never, ever impressed me.

Midrange would be what, Titos?

edit: Ugh gotta bring the coffee thread into this, but a deburrer might be preferable for a more consistent grind. I don't know if it matters after a month of steeping, though :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Midorka posted:

Titos is high end at a mid-shelf price. Grey Goose is low-mid end at a mid-high and price. There's a fascinating article on how the brand is purely marketing.

I don't want to derail the beer thread with vodkachat, but any chance you could find it? I already knew they were really just a lot of marketing. I end up with a lot of Titos because when we have a party a friend invariably brings a handle over, but when I get to piI ck my own I prefer Ketel One.

I plan to do a habanero vodka infusion for a spicy beer I'm making, someone mentioned the technique a page or so ago, so I'm trying to figure out what works best since a plastic bottle is probably a terrible idea, and not sure it needs an expensive vodka.